ADVERTISEMENT

Will IU have anyone who can shut down Carsen Edwards?

Let them pump him up. GBI said PU had 4-5 NBA players on this past year’s team too.
Haha. I forgot about that. I'm don't think they're going to get anyone drafted. Vince Edwards may get drafted late second round, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Haha. I forgot about that. I'm don't think they're going to get anyone drafted. Vince Edwards may get drafted late second round, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
I hope Vince gets drafted, but I’m not sure that’s going to happen. He just lacks the burst/gear that NBA guys have.

Last edited:
Can’t think of any games Carsen took over?

Illinois- 40 points in a 93-86 win.

Ohio State- 28 points in a 64-63 loss

Penn State- 27 points in a 76-73 win

Penn State- 27 points in a 78-70 win

Texas Tech- 30 points in a 78-65 loss

Rutgers- 26 points in an 82-75 win

There are 6 for you right there and that didn’t factor in any pre-conference games.

Michigan in BTT - 12pts on 4-16 shooting LOSS

Butler in NCAA - 13pts on 4-17 shooting

@MSU - 14pts on 5-15 shooting LOSS

@IU - 10pts on 3-10 shooting

Nebraska - 7pts on 3-13 shooting

Rutgers - 12pts on 4-13 shooting

NW - 6pts on 3-7 shooting

L'ville - 13pts on 2-11 shooting

Western Kentucky - 9pts on 4-10 shooting LOSS

Tennessee - 5-17 shooting LOSS

DAMN THAT DUDE CAN TAKE OVER A GAME!!!!!

Or is 10 chitty games not a big enough sample size for you?

@IU - 10pts on 3-10 shooting (But that dunk, though...)

FIFY

@IU - 10pts on 3-10 shooting

The dude made 1st Team All-B1G and was a second team All-American. Clearly people whose opinions matter think he’s really good.

You were basically a 2nd place winner for Romeo.
Wow, LOLZ! What is your excuse going to be for other elite recruits Archie lands? You sound pretty unimpressed, even though PU hasn't landed a recruit as high as Romeo since Glenn Robinson.

The dude made 1st Team All-B1G and was a second team All-American. Clearly people whose opinions matter think he’s really good.

I know PU people want to talk about size, but if he’s good enough, he will be on a NBA roster soon. Sure, size may prevent him from a 1st rounder but does not qualify for why he did not get an invite nor why he won’t get drafted. Tyler Ulis was barely 5’10” and he got drafted as many, many other sub 6ft players. What people are not discussing, if he were a true point guard, he’d probably get an invite. So in reality, if he was good enough to play PG in the league or had their desire PG skill set, he would get drafted or a combine invite at the very least. Instead, he’s a 2 guard in a PG’s body. So it’s not just size, it’s his specific skill & along with his size.

By the way, I really like Carsen and his game.

Carsen's a good player: I don't think anybody's disagreeing about that. However, he's not good enough for the NBA, and Romeo's a lottery pick right now. Romeo is clearly the better player and in a different league than Carsen.

I know PU people want to talk about size, but if he’s good enough, he will be on a NBA soon. Sure, size may prevent him from a 1st rounder but does not qualify for why he did not get an invite nor why he won’t get drafted. Tyler Ulis was barely 5’10” and he got drafted as many, many other sub 6ft players. What people are not discussing, if he were a true point guard, he’d probably get an invite. So in reality, if he was good enough to play PG in the league or had their desire PG skill set, he would get drafted or a combine invite at the very least. Instead, he’s a 2 guard in a PG’s body. So it’s not just size, it’s his specific skill & along with his size.
Yup. Forgot about Ulis. Burke, Trimble, Mason, Yogi, Brunson, etc.. Plenty of short PG's have gotten invites to the combine and have been drafted.

Carsen's a good player: I don't think anybody's disagreeing about that. However, he's not good enough for the NBA, and Romeo's a lottery pick right now. Romeo is clearly the better player and in a different league than Carsen.
Romeo has way more potential and will be a better pro player but right now Carsen will be the better college player next year. He was voted the top 2 guard last year winning the Jerry West award. I hate PU as much as anyone but I just don't get why some can't see things how they are and not be bias when looking at this situation.

Let’s have this conversation after the season. You don’t think it’s a bit premature to say that someone is way better than a guy who was a 2nd team AA and 1st Team BT before he’s even played a college game?

Not one bit. The only reason that Romeo is coming to IU next year is because the NBA won't let him go pro now. If he could go pro now he'd be a 1st round pick. Right now. Without ever playing a minute of college ball. Romeo is a 1st round NBA draft pick right now. CE can't even get an invite to this year's combine. What else do I need to say?

Romeo has way more potential and will be a better pro player but right now Carsen will be the better college player next year. He was voted the top 2 guard last year winning the Jerry West award. I hate PU as much as anyone but I just don't get why some can't see things how they are and not be bias when looking at this situation.

I wish I had 2 more hands so I could give give this post 4 thumbs down...

Romeo is a 1st round NBA draft pick right now. CE can't even get an invite to the combine.

/Thread

Reactions: mike41703

Romeo is a 1st round NBA draft pick right now. CE can't even get an invite to the combine.

/Thread

well, they're not mutually exclusive. In 2005 JJ Redick avg'd 26ppg and had a career average of almost 20ppg and was the ACC career scoring leader at that time. Marvin Williams was a heralded freshman who avg'd 11ppg/6rpg as 6th man and wasn't a starter, but he was the #2 overall pick.

No question who was the better college player, or who had more NBA potential. Now Romeo could have better stats than CE next year, and CE might even drop as he becomes the other teams defensive focus, but he could be the better college player next year, while Romeo is the better NBA prospect.

well, they're not mutually exclusive. In 2005 JJ Redick avg'd 26ppg and had a career average of almost 20ppg and was the ACC career scoring leader at that time. Marvin Williams was a heralded freshman who avg'd 11ppg/6rpg as 6th man and wasn't a starter, but he was the #2 overall pick.

No question who was the better college player, or who had more NBA potential. Now Romeo could have better stats than CE next year, and CE might even drop as he becomes the other teams defensive focus, but he could be the better college player next year, while Romeo is the better NBA prospect.

Anybody can find examples like that and fit their narrative. Mugsy Bogues played in the NBA and he was like 5'2". If you got the skills then you get to play in the NBA. Period. Romeo already has them. CE does not. That's all.

No, Romeo is the better player, period, and it has nothing to do with potential. Perhaps you are not able to evaluate talent. Anybody that knows what they are looking at can look at Romeo, look at Carsen, and understand that Romeo is at a different level as a player. It has nothing to do with hate, and it doesn't mean Carsen is some sort of a bum. Some players are simply better than others.

Anybody can find examples like that and fit their narrative. Mugsy Bogues played in the NBA and he was like 5'2". If you got the skills then you get to play in the NBA. Period. Romeo already has them. CE does not. That's all.

But the question, as I understand it, is who will be the better college player next year. I think that's still an unknown.

But the question, as I understand it, is who will be the better college player next year. I think that's still an unknown.

What does that even mean? If CE averages more points is he the better player when Romeo goes in the lottery and CE doesn't even get drafted? What would you even base that on? Team's records?

I'm saying, and have been saying all along, that Romeo is a better player right now and proof of that is in the fact that Romeo is a 1st round draft pick right now. At 18. Without ever playing a second of college ball. CE can't even get an invite to the combine after his junior season of college. What else can I say?

What does that even mean? If CE averages more points is he the better player when Romeo goes in the lottery and CE doesn't even get drafted? What would you even base that on? Team's records?

I'm saying, and have been saying all along, that Romeo is a better player right now and proof of that is in the fact that Romeo is a 1st round draft pick right now. At 18. Without ever playing a second of college ball. CE can't even get an invite to the combine after his junior season of college. What else can I say?
I am also having a difficult time understanding what "college player" means and how it differs from "NBA player." Does it mean going further in the NCAA's, stats, etc.? How does a player's ability to play in the NBA somehow make it possible for him to be worse than a player not able to play in the NBA?

I am also having a difficult time understanding what "college player" means and how it differs from "NBA player." Does it mean going further in the NCAA's, stats, etc.? How does a player's ability to play in the NBA somehow make it possible for him to be worse than a player not able to play in the NBA?
Best players in the world sign NBA contracts regardless of size. The rest go play in the G league or International. The NBA wants to make money and protect their brand. They are not going to deny the best players because they are not over 6ft.

Wow, it's really not that hard! 1) He's played in college, so RL to date, can't be a better college player than CE, who is already proven to be a really good one. 2)Next year, they should both have played with stats to back it up. RL, could be clearly better, both as a college player and as an NBA prospect, or as in the example I provided for Reddick and Williams, CE may be clearly the better player, or arguably the better player, while RL still may have more pro potential and get drafted higher. Absent the days they taught reading comprehension, or what? Your arguments are valid and correct, you're just not addressing the question that I see being asked: who will be the better college player next year?

Wow, it's really not that hard! 1) He's played in college, so RL to date, can't be a better college player than CE, who is already proven to be a really good one. 2)Next year, they should both have played with stats to back it up. RL, could be clearly better, both as a college player and as an NBA prospect, or as in the example I provided for Reddick and Williams, CE may be clearly the better player, or arguably the better player, while RL still may have more pro potential and get drafted higher. Absent the days they taught reading comprehension, or what? Your arguments are valid and correct, you're just not addressing the question that I see being asked: who will be the better college player next year?

With that said, this is potential a no win for Romeo. If he stays 1 year, scores 20 a game, leads IU to a SW16 & drafted top 5, while CE avgs 22 a game, PU does not make the tourney and he’s not drafted... all we will read is that Carsen played 3 years and had more on his stat line so he’s had a better college career and player. I know how this works and a narrative will be formed with little substance. The best players make it to the league and to think otherwise is silly. Not confirmed yet, but what we know is Romeo is project as 1 & done therefore outside leading IU to a F4, people are going to say Carsen was a better college player just because he played 3 years vs Romeo’s 1. I know people were not saying a lot about Carsen’s freshman year, other than the kid could be really good and he proved that this past year. I expect Romeo’s freshman year to equate to CE upcoming season. Take away CE from this past year’s PU team and insert RL... PU is in the F4.

Last edited:
Romeo is a 1st round NBA draft pick right now and CE can't get an invite to the NBA combine right now. What's so hard to get about this?

I guess Romeo isn't a better college player than Tim Priller right now since Priller has college experience.

What elite recruit IU has brought in did not have a good college career? Eric Gordon? Cody Zeller? Jared Jeffries? I think it is fair to say that Romeo will be very good in college. As far as the better player, I'll take the player that is good enough to be a lottery pick right now over the player that can't get invited to a 70 man combine.

/Thread
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it, because I said Romeo is a better pro prospect. That does not mean you will have the better college season and that is what I said. So whose college career would you rather have Steve Alford or Cody Zeller. even though Cody was the 4th pick n the draft and Alford was a 2nd rounder Steve was the better college player. If Romeo stays 2 to 3 years in college he probably would have the better college career over Edwards. I think experience is the key factor next year where one will be a junior and the other will be a freshman.

/Thread

No, Romeo is the better player, period, and it has nothing to do with potential. Perhaps you are not able to evaluate talent. Anybody that knows what they are looking at can look at Romeo, look at Carsen, and understand that Romeo is at a different level as a player. It has nothing to do with hate, and it doesn't mean Carsen is some sort of a bum. Some players are simply better than others.
Again I am not talking talent or who has the best pro potential but who will have a better college season next year. Some of you guys with your hatred for anything PU clouds your judgement.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it, because I said Romeo is a better pro prospect. That does not mean you will have the better college season and that is what I said. So whose college career would you rather have Steve Alford or Cody Zeller. even though Cody was the 4th pick n the draft and Alford was a 2nd rounder Steve was the better college player. If Romeo stays 2 to 3 years in college he probably would have the better college career over Edwards. I think experience is the key factor next year where one will be a junior and the other will be a freshman.
I'd take Isiah Thomas and the 1981 team over Steve Alford and the 1987 team. The 1981 team was more talented and won most games going away in the NCAA's, while the 1987 team had less talent and had some close games.

I'd take the 1992 IU team over any year other than 1987 for Steve Alford's career.

Last edited:
If you pick a player just from their college play who would you rather have Steve Alford or Cody Zeller and to me that is easy Alford. Cody was the 4th pick in the draft where Alford was 2nd round pick and had ore pro success. The NBA draft on potential and athletic ability and Romeo will be picked because of those things. Players like Jimmer Ferdette and Adam Morrison was better college players but it did not translate to the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT