ADVERTISEMENT

why is our administration so incompetent?

dbmhoosier

Hall of Famer
Nov 23, 2005
I remember asking myself this question a lot during the last couple Mike Davis years. We had just missed the tourney 2 years in a row, and everyone in the world knew that Davis wasn't the guy and should be fired. Everyone except for our administration of course. They were hell bent on giving Davis one more year which cost us big time.

Now the same thing is happening again. Everyone who knows anything about basketball knows that Crean isn't the guy and will not be the coach here long term. Everyone except Fred Glass of course. Glass is apparently still in love with the Clapper and wants to give him one more year. Meanwhile, Greg Marshall is out in the wings and supposedly wants the IU job. We are going to pass though. We are going to pass on a guy who has been a HC for 17 years, finishing 1st place in his conference 9 of those years and finishing 2nd place in his conference 5 of them. He has also won his conference tournament championship 8 times. So in 17 years as a HC he has won 17 regular season championships and conference tournaments. Think about that for a minute. Again though, we are going to pass on him in order to keep the Clapper.

So why again do we continually have the most incompetent administration in college athletics? They really are asleep at the wheel.

0.jpg

This post was edited on 3/26 7:36 AM by dbmhoosier

There is a small glimmer of hope

that this is all by design and that things will happen as the Tournament comes to an end...

I would think it's pretty telling that nothing has mentioned as of yet, one way or the other.

I don't buy for a second that Glass isn't talking because no announcement is necessary. If that were the case then he wouldn't have come out DURING the season with the crowd pleasing "Vote of Confidence".

Glass isn't a dummy, I think even he has to see through this coaches BS.

...or I'm completely wrong and he truly does have a blind spot for Indiana Basketball...

Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm assuming they believe if he'd listen to Bama, he'd listen to IU.

I'm not exactly sure why everybody is solely focused on Marshall, though. All I want to see is "Crean leaves Indiana."

Anyway, Glass has to be looking out for himself too, right?

If Marshall goes to Alabama, or if Calipari left UK and a top coach went to UK, it would be an awful year for Glass. He and Joani would be watching all games in a basement.

A guy wants to leave the Boston Celtics after 2 seasons to coach IU...

This is the batchit crazy that occupies the otherwise vacant space between the ears of most peegsters. And so keeping that in mind, its not like actual sources are needed to assume anyone and everyone wants the IU job.

This post was edited on 3/26 10:08 AM by HA2740

Not that it will happen, but BS isn't just "a guy who would leave an NBA

job for the IU gig". There are specific reasons why it might be attractive to Brad. Just Brad. Not the coach of the Lakers, the Heat, the Hawks, etc.....but with Brad, there is history and possible reasons HE might be interested. I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it actually did. Like always, so much of this is about timing. And like always, IU has horrific timing.

I think most people took it that way from the article he did with

Gary Parrish where he said he would go to a big school but it has to be a big school that can compete with the Dukes, UNC, Kansas, UK and teams like that. He said he wouldn't go to a lower school in a big conference just to go there.

It made it seem like he was talking about IU or I just took it that way.

I think the educated guess is that the uptick in chatter nationally

indicates that he's at least floating the idea. There have been several articles, and he even responded to the Gonzaga rumors.

Most coaches aren't like Few. They're competitive people looking to advance. Almost all the biggest names have at somepoint, including Marshall himself.

Currently, he is in a great spot and has perfect bargaining power. He may not jump this year, but I would expect him to in the next two years.

Texas and/or Indiana.....

are stupid not to dump their current guy and get Marshall.

But I wonder how Marshall would feel about being the second choice for IU fans?

It's maddening. It's a very rare that an elite coach is just sitting there

being somewhat available.

Most hot coaches have an element of speculation even though it's pretty obvious in their results and their eye tests that they are legit.

I begged for a move after year three for Stevens. Not because of the two natty games, not just because he's teams always peaked as the season went on (he would say his data needs time to become relevant), not because he won over 90% of his games when he had four days to prep (never bet against Stevens in the weekday games. If you're going to get him its the two day turn around games), not just because Wooden, Knight, K and Pitino all publicly said he was a bad ass.

It's all of that...but still Stevens had just four years of history.

Matta was extremely impressive too at Butler and at Xavier. He only had three or four years of history.

My point? The elite coaches are recognized early and snatched up.

Marshall has seventeen years of history. He built himself up (the John Beilene, Bo Ryan career path) and has proven that he is elite....and available.

We were too slow for Matta.

We tried for Bennett so we get some credit on that one.

We were too slow for Stevens.

Are we going to be too slow for Marshall??

I hope not but most likely...and that sucks ass.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

When things are repeated enough...

...regardless of the source, they "become known." Like "it's known" that Brad Stevens' dream job is IU and has an out clause (whatever that is) in his Boston contract.

Do not question.

You're assuming that their goals...

...are the same as yours. Their goals are monetary, and apparently Glass is a wizard in that department.

Agree. I don't think he would go to Alabama, but Texas...that's an

attractive job, imo.

If his goals are to maximize profits....

why in the hell is he paying Crean top 10 money? Couldn't he go get someone for 1/3 of the price with the same results?

Free Trade for All, Alliances for None

Ron Paul is for unilateral, unconditional free trade. He believes any American should be perfectly free to buy from or sell to any person in the world. In that sense - the laissez-faire sense - he favors globalization, which, applied consistently, would require a worldwide free market. He's such a strong advocate of free trade that he objects to the world's governments, led by the U.S. government, setting up international bureaucracies, such as the World Trade Organization, to manage trade. He thinks trade should be a totally private matter. That's a solid classical-liberal, or libertarian, position.

(September 21, 2001) Free trade with all and entangling alliances with none has always been the best policy in dealing with other countries on the world stage. This is the policy of friendship, freedom and non-interventionism and yet people wrongly attack this philosophy as isolationist. Nothing could be further from the truth. Isolationism is putting up protectionist trade barriers, starting trade wars imposing provocative sanctions and one day finding out we have no one left to buy our products. Isolationism is arming both sides of a conflict, only to discover that you've made two enemies instead of keeping two friends. Isolationism is trying to police the world but creating more resentment than gratitude. Isolationism is not understanding economics, or other cultures, but clumsily intervening anyway and creating major disasters out of minor problems.

which Paul though?

In theory...

yes, free trade would work. In the real world, it is a time waster. Me as a Free Trader should be able to buy Ivory from elephants just because I want to. Such a fallacy.

And that's the problem with both Paul's...they don't live in the real world.

Exactly.

Do you want your kid's food coming from a country that has lax environmental laws, could use slave labor, and put American farmers out of business?

Of course, MD would just put his kid in a bag and attempt to smother his kid.

If his goals are to maximize profits....

...why would he be insulting "$100 donors?" Those 100 dollar donors buy merchandise, come to games, etc. Insulting them doesn't serve as a fund raising activity.

Anyone with a degree from IU's school of business could see that IU is not getting an adequate return on the amount of money being invested into the basketball program at this point.

It is almost as if there's an unregulated means of transmitting thoughts...

and opinions instantaneously and without geographic restrictions that makes unverified information seem legitimate based sheerly on the volume of its presence within the medium.

BUT WHAT BLACK MAGIC COULD CREATE SUCH A THING?!?!?!?

This post was edited on 3/26 12:22 PM by HA2740

Texas? Hoops? Meh.

Based on the recent article and speculation, I thinks he's waiting on a gig at a blue blood or semi-blue blood. It's got to be a school where the basketball program is the premier progrsm at the university and those jobs are scarce. As time goes on, I don't even view him as a 2nd choice. It's 1a and 1b to me at this point. All he's ever done is win. If Stevens isn't interested once Crean is gone, Marshall is anything but chopped liver.

If a species doesn't provide nourishment to the 10B people on Earth

or benefit the eco-system in other important ways, do we need them contributing to the CO2 environment?

Do people eat elephant meat? I've never bought it in the store. Our grandchildren can see them in the hologram museum.

Save the Polar Ice Caps.

tic

unfortunately for you, the school you root for only cares about

Graduating kids and playing by the rules. If they win championships by doing it the right way, so be it. But if not, they just don't. Lots of schools/programs cheat and could care less about the kids just as long as they win all the time. Maybe u should go root for one of those schools until IU starts cheating!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT