ADVERTISEMENT

Why are so many more players transferring from Indiana than other schools

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
We are up to 25 transfers. I think we are leading the country in transfers. I assumed it was the coaching change, but if you look at other schools with coaching changes like Duke, and Syracuse they have nowhere near the transfer volume we do. We arguably made the best hire out of all the schools with vacancies. You'd think our players would be excited about that. There has to be unhappiness about the Allen firing on the team as this looks more like a protest vote than a normal change of coach exodus.

Although I agree, so far our hire appears to be strongest for the change required, it is also the biggest shift from the previous leadership in my opinion. Changing from LEO to no nonsense accountability and attacking complacency is not what some of our “softer” players signed up for. I think the guys leaving are indirectly stating they don’t want to work the way CCC will require. Just my opinion.

If I had an opportunity somewhere else, I’d go too. It’s going to be a monumental effort on CCC’s part to change the culture of this program. The players leaving saw first hand (and participated in) the losing culture. Over half the stadium leaves at halftime even when we are winning or the game is close. That is not acceptable in my book. I really hope CCC can get the overall culture moving in the right direction.

Let me preface this by saying I often over react both positively and negatively. I don’t feel the excitement of this coaching change. It just has the unsettling feeling that we are burning our program to the ground for a restart. Maybe this has to be done for better long term success.

I’m also concerned. We did have some decent players. We clearly need a rebuild and I support that but it would be nice to retain most of our top ten - we had a really good receiver, developing qb, a line Bostad was developing…..it is going to be very rough year or two (hopefully not three or four). .

Let me preface this by saying I often over react both positively and negatively. I don’t feel the excitement of this coaching change. It just has the unsettling feeling that we are burning our program to the ground for a restart. Maybe this has to be done for better long term success.

We won 3 games last year. I guarantee that at worst that is our floor next year. The program was already burnt to the ground. How many of our players this year were brand new transfers in themselves? We already had a team of mercenaries so it isn't that surprising that they don't have much loyalty to the school. What percentage of our team were first year Indiana players between the portal and high school recruits?

We are up to 25 transfers. I think we are leading the country in transfers. I assumed it was the coaching change, but if you look at other schools with coaching changes like Duke, and Syracuse they have nowhere near the transfer volume we do. We arguably made the best hire out of all the schools with vacancies. You'd think our players would be excited about that. There has to be unhappiness about the Allen firing on the team as this looks more like a protest vote than a normal change of coach exodus.
I think it's mental fatigue after 3 seasons of positive speculation from a Vaseline salesmen with a HCing gig. My brutal but honest feeling about young people who are burnt out. Also believe Cignetti replaces many pretty easily. He and his staff appear to be an outfit (over)achieving players want to help accomplish positive results for.

Last edited:
Interesting issue to analyze.
First we have to be sure the facts are correct. For this post, let’s say they are.
Now, why would that be?
1. Culture? Sure. Weren’t there many players who complained about Kevin Wilson’s treatment?
Softer? We would need to ask coaches who had been part of multiple programs.
2. NIL? I think you cannot underestimate pay for play. The only negative to this argument I can think of is that how much NIL money can most players from a 3 win team be worth?
3. Playing time? If a guy playing my position is coming over from JMU, it might make me transfer to a mid major.
4. Other. I want to leave this open. Anyone have other ideas?

Reactions: vesuvius13
We won 3 games last year. I guarantee that at worst that is our floor next year. The program was already burnt to the ground. How many of our players this year were brand new transfers in themselves? We already had a team of mercenaries so it isn't that surprising that they don't have much loyalty to the school. What percentage of our team were first year Indiana players between the portal and high school recruits?
DITTO!

Not too worried about it. Its a new era of football with NIL and I would think in some cases its more about trying to find your value to get the best NIL deal possible. Let's face it, very few of these players will ever play in the NFL, Canada, etc. and earning the most you can now is in their best interest long term. If these players were smart, grab the money, stick it in an investment and let it grow. Finish your college career, get a job and by their 40's be retired living of the returns of their portfolio.

Yes, IU has a higher number of turnover with the change but look at the amount of turnover in winning programs as well.

I think it's a combo of the players really liking to play for not only Tom Allen, but their respective position coach as well.

Whether us fans want to admit it or not, players liked Tom Allen and his staff. Remember when everyone said our recruiting was gonna fall apart after the 2-10 season and all those recruits were going to decommit. It never happened.

With that said, we were 3-9 last year, so a change of scenery for some of those guys is probably best. Do I personally want some of them back.... absolutely. But a good majority of them probably need to find a new home.

It was reported by another member of the site that the offense and defense were at each other in the locker room the last several weeks of the season. You gotta remember, the team was made up of several first year players from the portal. I’d say not a lot of roots had been laid

Reactions: IUCrazy2
It is clear the transfer portal has changed the system, so we don't have loyalty anymore. The other thing I see is that IU is changing the culture and players are afraid of what it will be like playing ahead. Also we don't know what the HC and player conversation was, so some may be looking for another team because coach told them they should look somewhere next. It is clear coach Cignetti doesn't like players going into portal.

It would be interesting to be able to talk to Coach Bostad to get his input on his OL to find out how he feels, or even if he talked to any one of them, about them leaving. One of the prior posters wrote that some of them are leaving because their position coach was leaving. Maybe CB is in the same mindset at CCC and some of the players felt he was too tough. Just a thought.

"... a team of mercenaries..."

Uhm.... I never thought of them that way.... but in some ways I can see that.

And now that their missions are over... but not accomplished.... it's time to go back to their home country.

IU is one of the worst programs in the history of college football and those transferring have experienced it first-hand.

Burnt to the ground? How many years have you been watching? We’ve fielded far worse teams and been far less competitive than what we were last year. And we actually improved as the season wore on and some changes were made.

Burnt to the ground? How many years have you been watching? We’ve fielded far worse teams and been far less competitive than what we were last year. And we actually improved as the season wore on and some changes were made.

A bit of hyperbole but we don't have much further to fall. We've won what, 3 conference games the last 3 years?

It would be nice to keep some of these guys but if they aren't going to be bought in it is best they leave. None of them are world beaters.

Yep. Far worse. IU keeps putting an inferior product on the field though . . .

. . . what's it gonna take to change that? Spending more money than other programs for a good while. There's no quick fix . . . .

Their not gone yet are they? Let's see what happens when the smoke clears. We might end up with better players. I trust our new coach. He knows what he’s doing.

I think there is a lot of emulating going on among our players. Right now, if you play at Indiana and aren't in the portal, you must be a scrub. Also, do they share agents? There are probably several other factors that we've never even considered.

MSU just added 4 players today so they are at 19 and we are at 25

Seven of ours entered after CCC was announced.

As a wise man once said, "You can please some of the people all of
time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you
can't please all of the people all of the time."

A few observations
- Many who are in the portal may return so we won’t know how many actually leave for awhile yet.
- Don’t know much about Syracuse but Duke is in a 180 degree opposite situation, ie their coach got promoted off a good team that won, with the atmosphere around the program all heading in the right direction . Ours got fired (at great cost) of a mediocre team that didn’t win and everything around the program heading south. Apples and oranges.

How many are the player's election (and the player will be welcomed back), and how many are the staff's election (and the player won't be welcomed back)?

I think they are buying into the narrative that the university let them down buy not getting more serious with NIL and investing in the program in general. CTA alluded to this in his last press conference and guys like Dylan Powell repeated it on social media.

I think it will be better in the long term for those that don’t want to be here to leave. There will be some painful days ahead, but these last 3 years were painful.

All most of them have done is put their name in the portal. And they did it before entering final exam week. Let's also not forget that there has been some crazy talk about crazy NIL money being thrown around. Right now all they are doing is evaluating the opportunities are out there.

I'm wondering what kind of team meeting or individual meetings CCC has had with any of the players. And let's not forget the s*** show in Colorado that I'm sure nobody wants to see first hand

Maybe, some of the transfers don't agree that we made the best hire. How many of us even know who the coach of JMU was before he was linked with IU?

Maybe they too are unaware.

How many are the player's election (and the player will be welcomed back), and how many are the staff's election (and the player won't be welcomed back)?
There are at least six or seven players that no team of our talent level would want to use so I don't think it's a case of "hit the highway". My guess is that Allen really built a personal loyalty which would be no great surprise and there is some unhappiness despite the lack of success. Is what it is.

Guys are probably out looking for NIL cash, and before now we haven’t had a lot

When players are brought in with no loyalty to the school, no attachment to the Btown and school culture, who are there for coach and nil only, this is what you can expect when said coach is fired. There are not enough Indiana kids on the team to constitute a core. May be no one's fault but circumstances but it's the cross we will bear until it changes or the program culture becomes an institution...imo...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT