ADVERTISEMENT

Not a popular opinion but the portal is probably good for Indiana

I think the portal is good for getting a few needs at certain positions but personally I think it’s probably why we’ve fallen off. There’s no doubt that it causes resentment with current players and that leads to the culture changing. Look at MSU. They found success the first year but since it’s been a struggle. CTA needs a foundation and leadership in the locker room and outside of Jones and Tuttle, who has stepped up? It’s hard for a guy coming from a different program to come in and become a leader. I don’t think the new guys care or buy into CTA’s message and now it’s a complete dumpster fire.

Indiana is likely to lose a ton of players including some of the best to the portal. But to date the net transfer quality of incoming to outgoing has been way in favor of the positive. Most of the guys that transferred in last year made an impact. Henderson, Shivers, Colby, Simmons, Bazelak, Jennings and the same can be said on rest of the defense. The reality that Tom Allen has improved our recruiting, but overall it's still really crappy. The talent evaluation has been horrible. On a per player basis the success rate on transfers is way higher than high school players. We are doing much better picking up guys who are not good enough to make it at other schools than we are recruiting high school players. Coming out of high school everybody things they are going to start in college. With the portal nobody is willing to sit on the bench and develop anymore so the Indiana's of the world if they are aggressive are going to end up net positive by picking up the bench players from the top twenty teams. Teams like Indiana can also load up on upperclassmen and equal out their talent disadvantage with an experience advantage. A three star fifth year is often better than a four star freshman. Let's see how this shakes out, but honestly looking at what has happened to date, this chaos is going to be net positive for Indiana probably in a major way. The statistics so far have been very much in favor of Indiana.
With all due respect you must not be paying attention to what’s happening in Washington. The guy we lost to the portal not only led the nation but will likely be the early favorite to win the Heisman next year.

MP is the type of athlete that IU absolutely must have to compete…under recruited, under the radar, we put in a massive effort to get him, then he turns into a program changing QB.

As was Tevin Coleman, as was Nate Sudfeld, etc. etc. Not having any barrier to hang onto these kids will be a backbreaker.

I see no possible way for IUFB to be competitive under the current circumstances.

I wonder who he targeted and only got one donation. I am sick of IU staying in the house and not going out to get a real AD that knows how football works and needs donations for NIL.

I will never donate to a college sports collective. There are just too many worthy charities in this world that need help.

With all due respect you must not be paying attention to what’s happening in Washington. The guy we lost to the portal not only led the nation but will likely be the early favorite to win the Heisman next year.

MP is the type of athlete that IU absolutely must have to compete…under recruited, under the radar, we put in a massive effort to get him, then he turns into a program changing QB.

As was Tevin Coleman, as was Nate Sudfeld, etc. etc. Not having any barrier to hang onto these kids will be a backbreaker.

I see no possible way for IUFB to be competitive under the current circumstances.
We didn't lose Penix because of the portal. We lost him due to complete offensive coaching incompetence. We made him look so bad that both parties felt it was better that he transfer. As this plays out I think you'll see the portal as a system is a plus for Indiana. If they don't fix their coaching though, it's not going to matter.

It's been widely reported that every coach on the staff voted for Bazelak to start over Tuttle. So keep with the BS.
Hate to dispute that because it means every Offensive coach on our staff up to the last 3 games proved themselves to be Complete Idiots...

Bazelak was (in my opinion) by far, the Worst QB I've seen in an INDIANA uniform in the last 50 years, bar none...

Won't miss him at all...

If all of our coaches actually get a vote on who is the starting QB then CTA is a bigger idiot than I already think he is.
Maybe it was the offensive coaches.
Hate to dispute that because it means every Offensive coach on our staff up to the last 3 games proved themselves to be Complete Idiots...

Bazelak was (in my opinion) by far, the Worst QB I've seen in an INDIANA uniform in the last 50 years, bar none...

Won't miss him at all...
That should tell you where Tuttle was at.

We didn't lose Penix because of the portal. We lost him due to complete offensive coaching incompetence. We made him look so bad that both parties felt it was better that he transfer. As this plays out I think you'll see the portal as a system is a plus for Indiana. If they don't fix their coaching though, it's not going to matter.
I’m not as confident as you that MP would have left if he would have had to sit out another year after sitting the previous 4.

Also do you have a source that he was actually encouraged to transfer? If true we are in even worse shape than I thought!

Reactions: mk30
I forgot about Haggard, and Hanna, and Tuttle, and Cam. It's still not good enough, but the transfer model is clearly working better for us than the high school recruit model. Kansas State has succeeded with this model for years. Having great recruiters on the coaching staff is more important than ever because you literally might need to recruit half a football team every year. Allen, Bell and Wilt are all considered high level recruiters. It will be interesting to see but I think we'll end up better off than we started in this process. My greater concern is not whether they can upgrade our talent, but whether they can coach.
I don't mind the transfer portal so much, because we can be helped by it. But the NIL situation is disastrous for us, because we won't be able to recruit star high school players or keep any star players we have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT