ADVERTISEMENT

Not a popular opinion but the portal is probably good for Indiana

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
Indiana is likely to lose a ton of players including some of the best to the portal. But to date the net transfer quality of incoming to outgoing has been way in favor of the positive. Most of the guys that transferred in last year made an impact. Henderson, Shivers, Colby, Simmons, Bazelak, Jennings and the same can be said on rest of the defense. The reality that Tom Allen has improved our recruiting, but overall it's still really crappy. The talent evaluation has been horrible. On a per player basis the success rate on transfers is way higher than high school players. We are doing much better picking up guys who are not good enough to make it at other schools than we are recruiting high school players. Coming out of high school everybody things they are going to start in college. With the portal nobody is willing to sit on the bench and develop anymore so the Indiana's of the world if they are aggressive are going to end up net positive by picking up the bench players from the top twenty teams. Teams like Indiana can also load up on upperclassmen and equal out their talent disadvantage with an experience advantage. A three star fifth year is often better than a four star freshman. Let's see how this shakes out, but honestly looking at what has happened to date, this chaos is going to be net positive for Indiana probably in a major way. The statistics so far have been very much in favor of Indiana.

At the end of the day we will still have a MAC caliber team.
70-80% of the recruits he brings in should be playing in the MAC and 50% or so of the transfers he brings in will be the same.
We will get our 3 or 4 wins next year.which is enough to keep him around a couple more years.

College sports have gotten VERY complex with the NIL and transfer situations. Any head coach now has many more responsibilities on their plate. Can you imagine having to re-recruit your roster after every season!?!?

Fans are now legally buying players and teams via NIL. This ole boy has one foot out the door on this college deal. I can watch professional sports and not get the shakedown!!

Indiana is likely to lose a ton of players including some of the best to the portal. But to date the net transfer quality of incoming to outgoing has been way in favor of the positive. Most of the guys that transferred in last year made an impact. Henderson, Shivers, Colby, Simmons, Bazelak, Jennings and the same can be said on rest of the defense. The reality that Tom Allen has improved our recruiting, but overall it's still really crappy. The talent evaluation has been horrible. On a per player basis the success rate on transfers is way higher than high school players. We are doing much better picking up guys who are not good enough to make it at other schools than we are recruiting high school players. Coming out of high school everybody things they are going to start in college. With the portal nobody is willing to sit on the bench and develop anymore so the Indiana's of the world if they are aggressive are going to end up net positive by picking up the bench players from the top twenty teams. Teams like Indiana can also load up on upperclassmen and equal out their talent disadvantage with an experience advantage. A three star fifth year is often better than a four star freshman. Let's see how this shakes out, but honestly looking at what has happened to date, this chaos is going to be net positive for Indiana probably in a major way. The statistics so far have been very much in favor of Indiana.
Last year that was for sure. It likely will again this year as long as IU doesn’t have further floodgates of better players leaving.

I did hear McCollough wants to get better NIL $, which is his right in todays NCAA fb world. But we haven’t lost players like him before, it’s been mostly the lesser playing ones like G Gremmel or the WR’s this year who played but didn’t set world on fire.

And though I thought “get the guys leaving SEC schools only” was the ideal model. I now think a jr or senior who has produced at the Austin Peay or MAC school may actually be more ready to come in and contribute than a higher recruit at bigger school who hasn’t hit the field yet.

All TBD on who IU can actually land in the portal (and how good or bad the IU players who still enter ahead?)

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don't think it matters whether we get MAC guys who proved themselves to be power 5 guys or SEC rejects. Both categories are better than the high school players Indiana has traditionally been able to get. The focus is on who is leaving, but the reality is that we need everybody who is not projected to make the two deep in their careers to leave and we need to bring in goes who can get in the two deep. Last year almost all the transfers made the two deep and with proper coaching could have won six games. The coaching issue still needs to be addressed. Bostad may well fix the offense, but the larger issue is on the defensive side now. Kids who have been sitting on the bench want playing time, and they are going to see that available at Indiana. I think huge turnover is going to be net positive.

Good analysis. You may just be on to something.

The NCAA are screwing my teams with the NIL. Dolson says he cares about football but he doesn't call the IU alumni to get more money for FB NIL. Needs to call them or someone on the coaching staff to call, to get more well-off alumni to because football players need it or lose them.

The NCAA are screwing my teams with the NIL. Dolson says he cares about football but he doesn't call the IU alumni to get more money for FB NIL. Needs to call them or someone on the coaching staff to call, to get more well-off alumni to because football players need it or lose them.
It took him 3 weeks to send out an email encouraging people to donate to Hoosiers For Good and we received a 1 million dollar match donation.

It took him 3 weeks to send out an email encouraging people to donate to Hoosiers For Good and we received a 1 million dollar match donation.
I wonder who he targeted and only got one donation. I am sick of IU staying in the house and not going out to get a real AD that knows how football works and needs donations for NIL.

portal's our only hope.

You maybe right, but none were difference makers. There is a reason they couldn't get on the field at their old schools or flat out (stunk). The coaches insistence on playing baze above all others was a net negative. I guess the transfer gets all the loyalty?

I thought Henderson was the best of the bunch and they didn't even play him. Anyhow, on the whole it strikes me they are getting a lot of leftovers that while may fill a hole are not studs.

At what point do colleges start adding a role like a General Manager to the mix. So a GM that would focus on the NIL deals, and targets to go after as far as player personnel and then the coaching really does focus more on the X's and O's, is involved in some of the recruiting and player decisions but not really have to worry about fundraising NIL money and doing the deals.

AD being responsible for all programs, I'm speaking to a specific Football GM, Basketball GM, etc.

You maybe right, but none were difference makers. There is a reason they couldn't get on the field at their old schools or flat out (stunk). The coaches insistence on playing baze above all others was a net negative. I guess the transfer gets all the loyalty?

I thought Henderson was the best of the bunch and they didn't even play him. Anyhow, on the whole it strikes me they are getting a lot of leftovers that while may fill a hole are not studs.
For never playing, he led the team in TD's with 8.

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
He needed to play more but from what Shivers said in his going away announcement, it sure sounded as if CTA promised him the starting RB job no matter what.
Or he could have promised Shivers some NIL money because Shivers received some of that from HFG.

He needed to play more but from what Shivers said in his going away announcement, it sure sounded as if CTA promised him the starting RB job no matter what.
Just saw the tweet you are referring to. It was astounding how little time on the field Henderson got compared to Shivers. He was just heads and shoulders better. Shivers is a change of pace speed guy. Not an everydown back

I was equally astounded by a quote attributed to Tuttle in a recent article where supposedly Allen told him that he was ahead of Baze??? But then they went with Baze anyway and wouldn't remove him over their dead bodies. I've literally never in my life heard of a situation where the head coach doesn't play the guy he thinks gives him the best chance to win. Just craziness. I guess Baze was promised the job??

Just saw the tweet you are referring to. It was astounding how little time on the field Henderson got compared to Shivers. He was just heads and shoulders better. Shivers is a change of pace speed guy. Not an everydown back

I was equally astounded by a quote attributed to Tuttle in a recent article where supposedly Allen told him that he was ahead of Baze??? But then they went with Baze anyway and wouldn't remove him over their dead bodies. I've literally never in my life heard of a situation where the head coach doesn't play the guy he thinks gives him the best chance to win. Just craziness. I guess Baze was promised the job??
After the first 10 passes Baze threw over the heads of wide open receivers, I KNEW he had been promised the starting QB job. You would think when your job is on the line, if it really is, you would play the best no matter what their age is.

After the first 10 passes Baze threw over the heads of wide open receivers, I KNEW he had been promised the starting QB job. You would think when your job is on the line, if it really is, you would play the best no matter what their age is.
Yes he was absolutely awful from the gun.

It's been widely reported that every coach on the staff voted for Bazelak to start over Tuttle. So keep with the BS.

I forgot about Haggard, and Hanna, and Tuttle, and Cam. It's still not good enough, but the transfer model is clearly working better for us than the high school recruit model. Kansas State has succeeded with this model for years. Having great recruiters on the coaching staff is more important than ever because you literally might need to recruit half a football team every year. Allen, Bell and Wilt are all considered high level recruiters. It will be interesting to see but I think we'll end up better off than we started in this process. My greater concern is not whether they can upgrade our talent, but whether they can coach.

At the end of the day we will still have a MAC caliber team.
70-80% of the recruits he brings in should be playing in the MAC and 50% or so of the transfers he brings in will be the same.
We will get our 3 or 4 wins next year.which is enough to keep him around a couple more years.
Horrible appraisal.
Likely completely correct.

It was reported on the the other site many times. 247 site.
Sorry, but I've never heard of 247. You are telling me the special teams coordinator votes on the starting quarterback?

And you are also stating that the quotation in nationally syndicated sports illustrated is false?

Why would you come to IU football?
No national championship, no major television coverage, remote at best chance of even a mediocre bowl.
Only answer I can see would be big NiL money. Like Texas giving 50K per year to the top 16 lineman.

No national championship, no major television coverage, remote at best chance of even a mediocre bowl.
Only answer I can see would be big NiL money. Like Texas giving 50K per year to the top 16 lineman.
No major tv coverage??? Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State games were nationally televised on ABC or FOX network channels, no cable or satellite needed.

I honestly think IU needs to lean into “come to IU, get national exposure playing in the big ten, and then move onto the next level” with the next level being an NIL deal elsewhere. McCullough and Penix (with a little revisionist history) can become the faces of success at IU.

It’s a mercenary style and goes against “LEO” (at least the original version before CTA went ham in the portal), but recruiting kids with a chip on their shoulder who want to prove themselves may be IUs only shot at fielding a competitive team every once in awhile without some major administrative overhaul. IU will never compete with the big boys when it comes to NIL.

Sorry, but I've never heard of 247. You are telling me the special teams coordinator votes on the starting quarterback?

And you are also stating that the quotation in nationally syndicated sports illustrated is false?
Yes. I don't think Jack Tuttle was in the coaches meeting when they all voted for CB.

Why would the person who was ahead not be the starter? Or you think Tuttle made up the story?
No I don't think he made it up. It might have gone back and forth over the month of practice. The scrimmages were the important thing. Look they had evaluated them both on film and CB had much better performances at Mizzou then Tuttle had here. Tuttle really needed to severly out play CB in practice to beat him out.

I would agree IU has gotten more good than they've lost in the portal to date. However, I believe that will change, perhaps drastically, moving forward. NIL is the new, unbridled, world and it is not a world which will be friendly to IU, I'm afraid.

I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: iubhounds
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT