ADVERTISEMENT

Why are parents pissed?

I will suggest that Reykjavik isn't in Finland. Though Iceland is on my bucket list. And you do get points for the Winter War reference.

I do agree some with your bottom point, parents are a big part of education. Kids that have parents pushing them to do better, do better. It is that simple. But we still struggle. We aren't getting even our high performers into STEM. If you go to math departments around the country you will meet a lot of students from Asia and few from the US. We just aren't making kids excited about learning math, or sciences.

In tech, Intel had a huge lead in chips. We've lost it, Taiwan dominates the chip market now and Intel hopes to catch up in 5 years but I don't think anyone believes it will happen. Boeing was once the leader in aircraft design but Airbus has at least caught them.

Generally speaking, the world has been gaining on us across the board.

If one doesn't like the Post, The Hill is considered very centrist:

Some of this is we aren't funding research like we once did. But some of it is we just aren't producing enough people doing the research. With a limited supply of people in areas like math, we send them into trading because making money today is where our priorities lie.

So we don't produce near enough mathematicians and those we do produce enter trading and not engineering/sciences.
Thanks for catching that - I mean Helsinki. But hey, once your above the Arctic Circle, aren't they all the same? (yes, that's a joke)

STEM studies aren't everyone's cup of tea. You can emphasize those courses all you want and provide scholarships, and a majority of the population will say...... meh. I ended up in IT after taking the required math courses, but I certainly wasn't cut out to be a mathmetician. My son-in-law, who did well enough in a small Indiana HS that he got accepted into MIT (he became a Wells Scholar at IU instead), could be a mathmetician, but he has no incentive - he makes considerably more money trading bonds. So, unless you're going to dramatically increase pay for those types of job, we'd be hard pressed to increase the number of US workers in that field anyway.

The US has developed such a robust economy - despite being the dumbest population on the planet, per you posts - that we have to outsource work. Of course they're going to surpass us with their cheap labor.

But who holds the patents (you might want to explain patents to your compadre, Goat)?

My son-in-law, who did well enough in a small Indiana HS that he got accepted into MIT (he became a Wells Scholar at IU instead), could be a mathmetician, but he has no incentive - he makes considerably more money trading bonds. So, unless you're going to dramatically increase pay for those types of job, we'd be hard pressed to increase the number of US workers in that field anyway.

I think this shows an issue with the incentives. The nation/world needs developments in technology. A common one to pick on, antibiotics. Our antibiotic pipeline sucks. But people can make far more money helping Elon Musk's investments than in developing a new antibiotic. The system's priorities don't match what civilization actually needs. I don't have a solution to that problem, we certainly can't pay people what they do in trading.

I will say, I am at the beginning of the book below at the moment. The author was a trader but asserts a whole lot of success and failure in trading is just random. I kind of like that since I've used the idea that one can correctly predict a coin toss 10 times in a row but that doesn't mean one really knows more about a flipping coin. It's just the law of large numbers. So is Warren Buffet really a genius, or did he just randomly get the coin toss right 10 times in a row? There really is no way of knowing. But he does have a discussion on the short lifespan of the really big traders. Is it that they lose their ability, or does randomness catch up to them?

Amazon product ASIN B006Q7VYC4

Reactions: DANC
I think this shows an issue with the incentives. The nation/world needs developments in technology. A common one to pick on, antibiotics. Our antibiotic pipeline sucks. But people can make far more money helping Elon Musk's investments than in developing a new antibiotic. The system's priorities don't match what civilization actually needs. I don't have a solution to that problem, we certainly can't pay people what they do in trading.

I will say, I am at the beginning of the book below at the moment. The author was a trader but asserts a whole lot of success and failure in trading is just random. I kind of like that since I've used the idea that one can correctly predict a coin toss 10 times in a row but that doesn't mean one really knows more about a flipping coin. It's just the law of large numbers. So is Warren Buffet really a genius, or did he just randomly get the coin toss right 10 times in a row? There really is no way of knowing. But he does have a discussion on the short lifespan of the really big traders. Is it that they lose their ability, or does randomness catch up to them?

I'm pissed at my son-in-law for selling out. His degree is in chemistry and the kid is brilliant. He could have made a real contribution to society using his degree.

And what REALLY pisses me off is, he's Mr. Woke. But we won't go there.

I'm pissed at my son-in-law for selling out. His degree is in chemistry and the kid is brilliant. He could have made a real contribution to society using his degree.

And what REALLY pisses me off is, he's Mr. Woke. But we won't go there.
Doesn't that just chap your azz? With 4 daughters, I've seen plenty. Like Mike Baxter said, I'm starting to think we shouldn't have had kids.

Doesn't that just chap your azz? With 4 daughters, I've seen plenty. Like Mike Baxter said, I'm starting to think we shouldn't have had kids.
Yeah, here's a kid who grew up in a comfy, middle-class envrionment in small-town Indiana, but HE'S the expert on who's a racist.

I think he says half the shit he does just to piss me off. And it works.

Yeah, here's a kid who grew up in a comfy, middle-class envrionment in small-town Indiana, but HE'S the expert on who's a racist.

Oh I get it.
I've been screamed at for being a racist, from the daughter, as she is leaving while I am left baby setting (grandpa duty) her bi racial son. I love this little feller with all my heart. OMG Smart!

As a side note, due to my working with him.. :) ... If you ask him what those safety stickers on new electrical devices are, he will tell you, "those are for stupid people". .. He's 2 yrs and 4 months. Wicked smart ! :)

I didn't bother with this whole thread. Are you talking about Bulk?

Oh I get it.
I've been screamed at for being a racist, from the daughter, as she is leaving while I am left baby setting (grandpa duty) her bi racial son. I love this little feller with all my heart. OMG Smart!

As a side note, due to my working with him.. :) ... If you ask him what those safety stickers on new electrical devices are, he will tell you, "those are for stupid people". .. He's 2 yrs and 4 months. Wicked smart ! :)
My granddaughter is 2 years and 9 months and so smart. She and I are buddies. I take her to school every day and I love it.

I consider my purpose in life now to shield her from her politically naive parents. lol

My granddaughter is 2 years and 9 months and so smart. She and I are buddies. I take her to school every day and I love it.

I consider my purpose in life now to shield her from her politically naive parents. lol
When I get to grandfathering age I want to be a mix between Alan Arkin from Little Miss Sunshine and Clint Eastwood from Gran Torino (minus the racism). It’s confusing.

Reactions: dr.jb and DANC
When I get to grandfathering age I want to be a mix between Alan Arkin from Little Miss Sunshine and Clint Eastwood from Gran Torino (minus the racism). It’s confusing.
I'll tell you what - being a grandparent is the highlight of my life. I always knew I'd like to have grandkids, but I had no idea how special they are.

We moved to Charlotte to be near our granddaughter and now we have a 2 month old grandson. I connected with my granddaughter from almost the time she was born. We just have a special bond. And the great thing is, our daughter and son-in-law get frazzled with the 2 kids, so they don't mind at all if we take them. We've taken the granddaughter to Florida for a week a couple times - she doesn't even miss her parents. lol

We've really been blessed.

I'll tell you what - being a grandparent is the highlight of my life. I always knew I'd like to have grandkids, but I had no idea how special they are.

We moved to Charlotte to be near our granddaughter and now we have a 2 month old grandson. I connected with my granddaughter from almost the time she was born. We just have a special bond. And the great thing is, our daughter and son-in-law get frazzled with the 2 kids, so they don't mind at all if we take them. We've taken the granddaughter to Florida for a week a couple times - she doesn't even miss her parents. lol

You seem really proud of having raised a child to become a poor parent.

That's a great part of the country too. You're in close proximity to so much fun stuff

Come on man. Don't be a dick. I don't agree with DANC much but personal insults are a step too far.

I didn't insult his daughter. He said he needs to protect his grandchildren from her, that's she's constantly frazzled, and that her children don't miss her when he takes them away for a long period of time. Just seemed like a strange flex to show off how good a grandparent he is by belittling the parenting of his daughter. Those aren't things I'll be bragging about when my children are grown, I'd see those as failures by me as a parent.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory and DANC
I didn't insult his daughter. He said he needs to protect his grandchildren from her, that's she's constantly frazzled, and that her children don't miss her when he takes them away for a long period of time. Just seemed like a strange flex to show off how good a grandparent he is by belittling the parenting of his daughter. Those aren't things I'll be bragging about when my children are grown, I'd see those as failures by me as a parent.
Proof yet again, everything woke turns to _ _ _ _. huge eye roll.

I believe he was joking a little bit. I suspect DANC is proud of this children and saying what you did is definitely a slight.

Again, it's the internet. People get pissed/frustrated. I think I called Cray a straight up Asshole before. Maybe he deserved it, maybe he didn't. But I kinda hope this board rises above the gnashing of the free boards.

Yup. You are definitely the one in the right here.

I will suggest that Reykjavik isn't in Finland. Though Iceland is on my bucket list. And you do get points for the Winter War reference.

I do agree some with your bottom point, parents are a big part of education. Kids that have parents pushing them to do better, do better. It is that simple. But we still struggle. We aren't getting even our high performers into STEM. If you go to math departments around the country you will meet a lot of students from Asia and few from the US. We just aren't making kids excited about learning math, or sciences.

In tech, Intel had a huge lead in chips. We've lost it, Taiwan dominates the chip market now and Intel hopes to catch up in 5 years but I don't think anyone believes it will happen. Boeing was once the leader in aircraft design but Airbus has at least caught them.

Generally speaking, the world has been gaining on us across the board.

If one doesn't like the Post, The Hill is considered very centrist:

Some of this is we aren't funding research like we once did. But some of it is we just aren't producing enough people doing the research. With a limited supply of people in areas like math, we send them into trading because making money today is where our priorities lie.

So we don't produce near enough mathematicians and those we do produce enter trading and not engineering/sciences.
In no way have we "lost it" wrt chips. Yes, Taiwan Semi is a major player, but I would argue that Nvidia, Qualcom, Broadcom, Advanced Micro, and yes, Intel still dominate the space. Nvidia in particular is in the best position going forward, and it is not close.

In no way have we "lost it" wrt chips. Yes, Taiwan Semi is a major player, but I would argue that Nvidia, Qualcom, Broadcom, Advanced Micro, and yes, Intel still dominate the space. Nvidia in particular is in the best position going forward, and it is not close.
I like this quote:

“Another statistic, which I personally think is more alarming, [is that] zero percent of leading-edge chips are made in America right now,"​

Right now other processors aren't capable of competing with the M1. And Intel admits they won't be there for a couple of years. Of course by then TSMC will probably be below 5nm. Nvidia's 5nm cards in 2022 will be based on TSMC's chips. Their previous choice was Samsung, so in either case no American company was involved.

I believe he was joking a little bit. I suspect DANC is proud of this children and saying what you did is definitely a slight.

Again, it's the internet. People get pissed/frustrated. I think I called Cray a straight up Asshole before. Maybe he deserved it, maybe he didn't. But I kinda hope this board rises above the gnashing of the free boards.
It doesn't bother me. I just consider the source.

Add the fact I put "lol" after I wrote those things - maybe he's too ****ing stupid to know what that means.

This is the type of guy that disrupts diners at restaurants and harrasses old people on the streets.

He'd never show his face to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: stollcpa

20%. Any time spent on teaching anything outside of core academics is the true inequality. I also guarantee that the communities most impacted by this are those that the SEL folks would say are those who have most been let down by the system. And yet here the system is, like the guy from IPS said up above, taking time from things like learning how to read so that they can ensure all these kids know that they are defined by their intersectional characteristics. They are learning to hate themselves and their classmates and they aren't learning how to read to boot.

How equitable. How progressive. How diverse.

20%. Any time spent on teaching anything outside of core academics is the true inequality. I also guarantee that the communities most impacted by this are those that the SEL folks would say are those who have most been let down by the system. And yet here the system is, like the guy from IPS said up above, taking time from things like learning how to read so that they can ensure all these kids know that they are defined by their intersectional characteristics. They are learning to hate themselves and their classmates and they aren't learning how to read to boot.

How equitable. How progressive. How diverse.
I was looking for the source of your reference to the above IPS guy, and I couldn't find it. What post # was it in?

Also, considering virtual classrooms last year, don't you think elearning played a huge role in both declining IREAD scores across the board and the widening gap for that cohort class (last year's third graders)? After all, consider the home environment of students in Carmel compared to inner city Indy.
Of course, that is probably your point...that, regardless of what caused both the decline and the gap, more strenuous instruction is needed to fix the problem, and not that SEL played a major role. That is a valid point, but it is an argument that has been used to the detriment of the arts, PE, and other "soft" subjects in the curriculum. There are many examples of schools cutting music for budgetary reasons because math and ELA are much more important, which may be true, but doesn't do much for well-rounded students.
I'm not really arguing with you...just presenting a cautionary tale.

I was looking for the source of your reference to the above IPS guy, and I couldn't find it. What post # was it in?

Also, considering virtual classrooms last year, don't you think elearning played a huge role in both declining IREAD scores across the board and the widening gap for that cohort class (last year's third graders)? After all, consider the home environment of students in Carmel compared to inner city Indy.
Of course, that is probably your point...that, regardless of what caused both the decline and the gap, more strenuous instruction is needed to fix the problem, and not that SEL played a major role. That is a valid point, but it is an argument that has been used to the detriment of the arts, PE, and other "soft" subjects in the curriculum. There are many examples of schools cutting music for budgetary reasons because math and ELA are much more important, which may be true, but doesn't do much for well-rounded students.
I'm not really arguing with you...just presenting a cautionary tale.
#288, The guy I linked there works for IPS. I would agree that being home and working from home did not work. So we are playing catch up, which further supports the idea that we should be spending more time on reading with the little kids then we are spending on social manipulation.

Anecdotally, I can tell you that my school district changed the way they do reading, spelling, and added SEL all around the same time. Our scores in an affluent district have been on a decline since. My 7th grader's back to school night had several teachers mentioning having to "catch the kids up" the past five years or so because they were not coming as prepared as they had been in the past.

#288, The guy I linked there works for IPS. I would agree that being home and working from home did not work. So we are playing catch up, which further supports the idea that we should be spending more time on reading with the little kids then we are spending on social manipulation.

Anecdotally, I can tell you that my school district changed the way they do reading, spelling, and added SEL all around the same time. Our scores in an affluent district have been on a decline since. My 7th grader's back to school night had several teachers mentioning having to "catch the kids up" the past five years or so because they were not coming as prepared as they had been in the past.
Interesting. Thank you.

Same story in my school district.

First of all, from what I can tell, that guy is a political activist first, teacher (starting 4 years ago) second. NTTAWWT, I guess. I've also been told this by people I know who are aware of him.
I am very surprised, given what I have heard about the IPS superintendent, and looking at his background, that he was ever hired to be an "administrator" (I wasn't aware that district curriculum leads/coaches were considered administration level educators, but I could be wrong) in IPS.

First of all, from what I can tell, that guy is a political activist first, teacher (starting 4 years ago) second. NTTAWWT, I guess. I've also been told this by people I know who are aware of him.
I am very surprised, given what I have heard about the IPS superintendent, and looking at his background, that he was ever hired to be an "administrator" (I wasn't aware that district curriculum leads/coaches were considered administration level educators, but I could be wrong) in IPS.

This guy is a political activist but the people pushing the stuff he is talking about are not? And his political activism is around his job as a teacher. It is cool that Weingarten and all of the teachers unions can be activists for the schools and "Red for Ed" makes their points about the schools and nobody can question them because they are teachers and just want what is best for students...but you get someone (who brought receipts as you can see in the post) who doesn't march to the right drum and he is a political activist first and a teacher second.

Ok, let's go with that. Your uneasiness with this guy's politics in schools directly correlates to those of us who are equally uneasy with teachers on the left side of the spectrum who are bringing their politics into the lesson plan. Which is why we are calling to depoliticize the classroom.

I have no idea why any parents would be pissed right now. None at all.

Why would this upset you? It's not being mandated by the federal gov't. It's all about whether the parents want to have their children vaccinated or not, and a good Republican should have no problem with that. Vaccinations have been available for kids older than 12 for a while now, and except for seven districts in California (no surprise) it's strictly voluntary. It's parents' choice. That should be good.

This guy is a political activist but the people pushing the stuff he is talking about are not? And his political activism is around his job as a teacher. It is cool that Weingarten and all of the teachers unions can be activists for the schools and "Red for Ed" makes their points about the schools and nobody can question them because they are teachers and just want what is best for students...but you get someone (who brought receipts as you can see in the post) who doesn't march to the right drum and he is a political activist first and a teacher second.

Ok, let's go with that. Your uneasiness with this guy's politics in schools directly correlates to those of us who are equally uneasy with teachers on the left side of the spectrum who are bringing their politics into the lesson plan. Which is why we are calling to depoliticize the classroom.
Overreact much?

I made 3 points.
1. From my view (and corroborated from a few people in the know), he is a political activist 1st, and quite possibly misrepresented himself as an administrator when interviewing with IPS. Still, I did add the NTTAWRT, which means I don't really have a problem, as long as he has been as honest as he expects IPS to be. The Red for Ed people are just teachers who marched for more money, admittedly (and not much else) on one day.
2. I'm surprised he was even hired in current IPS, given his political slant, as well as that of the district. The people I spoke to said it was obvious no one checked his social media.
3. Curriculum coaches are not administrators.

Where did I show unease? Maybe in my dismissal of him due to his expertise gained in only 4 years, but that's on me.

2. I'm surprised he was even hired in current IPS, given his political slant, as well as that of the district. The people I spoke to said it was obvious no one checked his social media.
I think this kind of makes my point right here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT