ADVERTISEMENT

When those that are correct are silenced

Woke: Someone who believes in the tenets of "intersectionality" and uses that theory and its offshoots to be moral (by their definition) scolds and police.

Now do MAGA

Is Ethical Subjectivism a threat to Classical Liberalism? I think it is if it doesn’t accept inalienable rights. Are we Ethical Subjectivists but bound by inalienable rights?

Is Ethical Subjectivism a threat to Classical Liberalism? I think it is if it doesn’t accept inalienable rights. Are we Ethical Subjectivists but bound by inalienable rights?
Sparty, this is heavy lifting (classical and ethical liberalism) on Friday just before we coast into the weekend.

What about this simple question, Which is more important in our decision making, emotions (feelings) or logic ?

Put me down as feeling emotions are more important in making most decisions.

After making an emotional decision we then affirm our decision by finding a logical argument. A logical argument which may conflict with others who also frame their emotional decisions with logic.

Sparty, this is heavy lifting (classical and ethical liberalism) on Friday just before we coast into the weekend.

What about this simple question, Which is more important in our decision making, emotions (feelings) or logic ?

After making an emotional decision we then affirm our decision by finding a logical argument. A logical argument which may conflict with others who also frame their emotional decisions with logic.
At first glance…I want to say logic. But..,good question

I think it depends a lot on what the decision is about. Some decisions should be strictly logical, some emotional or gut instinct, and some should involve both.
That's really taking a stand - good job. "Well, it could be this. Or it could be that. It depends" lmao

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I read hoot as asking what actually is more important of the two, not what should be.

Goat, you read me correctly, but should have stated it more clearly.

David Brooks wrote a book about gut decisions not being all bad. Made a good argument for thinking this way.

Last edited:

David Brooks wrote a book about gut decisions not being all bad. Made a good argument for thinking this way.
Hoot, I've recommended this before and based on your posts, I think you'd really enjoy Jonathan Haidt's The Righteous Mind. It touches on these topics, but also why we are divided on social issues and how to think about these things, using current psychological research. He's a social psychologist and I find his books well written and informative.

Reactions: larsIU and hoot1

What does Brooks say about indecision? We all know people who go into a tail spin over deciding what to order from a restaurant menu. I think the reasons for difficulty in making up one’s mind is a much more interesting topic than whether a particular decision is based on emotions or logic. FWIW, I think all decisions start and end at an emotional level, and logic (or what we believe to be logic) is used to justify the decision both before and after the fact.

My law partner and I called this “landing the plane”. Whenever one of us caught the other unduly perseverating over a decision, we‘d say “land the damn plane!” Overcoming fear of failure and developing healthy self confidence is important to making good decisions.

Reactions: UncleMark and DANC
What does Brooks say about indecision? We all know people who go into a tail spin over deciding what to order from a restaurant menu. I think the reasons for difficulty in making up one’s mind is a much more interesting topic than whether a particular decision is based on emotions or logic. FWIW, I think all decisions start and end at an emotional level, and logic (or what we believe to be logic) is used to justify the decision both before and after the fact.

My law partner and I called this “landing the plane”. Whenever one of us caught the other unduly perseverating over a decision, we‘d say “land the damn plane!” Overcoming fear of failure and developing healthy self confidence is important to making good decisions.
I think any indecision I may have is FOMO - fear of missing out.

Especially at restaurants. I almost always regret ordering something and wish I had selected something else, unless I know the menu really well.

My wife? She has problems deciding on a restaurant. If I want to go, I never put it out there as an option right away - I know it will be rejected. Such is married life.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66

CoH, can definitely relate to your frustration with people who cannot make a decision.

Yours truly spent about three years deciding when and what to buy in replacing a storm door.

Explained my consternation to the sales clerk at Menards when finally purchasing the door for $129.

After hearing my long story concerning my decision he remarked, "I feel honored to be part of your life altering decision".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT