ADVERTISEMENT

What’s this sudden throw-down between Dolson and Buckner?

c2279d37-111f-42c0-9eb2-d3d10267e0c2.jpg
So, this is some hippie dude “coaching” s*****? What’s he do, shout out “keeck that ball?”

* Sigh *

$10.00

• Love
Reactions: BradStevens
We don’t even know if we’ll have anybody from this year’s team back next year. Could be a complete roster flip.

I hate NIL. I hate the portal. Separate these “programs” from the universities and make them subsidized minor league teams for the NBA and the NFL. You can see the Indiana Pacers AAA farm team at Assembly Hall weeknights and the Indiana University Club Team on weekends. The latter is the school’s team, with real students earning real degrees, with four-year commitments.
Listened to a podcast this week with a super agent who is also heading the 2028 LA Olympics. He said that college sports are at the precipice right now. The SEC and Big 10 look a lot like the NFL conferences. Colllege football could break away from other college sports.

He said it would make all other programs club or simply non scholarship. The other outcome would be college football using its power and money to raise up all the athletic departments. Maybe I’m cynical, but to me it will be the former. The commissioner of college football would be an immensely powerful figure commanding a Goodell like salary. The coaches would make even more money. The players would be paid. It’s just seems inevitable.

Listened to a podcast this week with a super agent who is also heading the 2028 LA Olympics. He said that college sports are at the precipice right now. The SEC and Big 10 look a lot like the NFL conferences. Colllege football could break away from other college sports.

He said it would make all other programs club or simply non scholarship. The other outcome would be college football using its power and money to raise up all the athletic departments. Maybe I’m cynical, but to me it will be the former. The commissioner of college football would be an immensely powerful figure commanding a Goodell like salary. The coaches would make even more money. The players would be paid. It’s just seems inevitable.
Bill Simmons show. Awesome.

Chicago needs a version of him.

Reactions: Cortez88
We don’t even know if we’ll have anybody from this year’s team back next year. Could be a complete roster flip.
speaking of which, credit goes to hooky for finding this preview of the 2024-2025 basketball calendar
oaFpZXH.jpeg

Got this in a group text from a buddy who's a purdoo fan. Not sure who to attribute it too, so enjoy knowing it's not mine.

Pearl would be much better than woodson
Well duh.. but he's still a giant phony ass orange douche. and if you think Woodson's lineups are whacky .. Pearl is the king of participation trophy everyone plays rotations.

After Crean, Miller and Woodson I'd prefer someone who values analytics or values them more. it's stupid not to and deep lineups and constant overplay on defense are a sure sign he doesn't.

He did change up a bit after having Golden on staff, who's very much into data but still didn't change the above. Constant pressure equals too many fouls, deep lineups to keep players fresh equals drop in offensive efficiency and the return for both is creating more TO's.. but what happens is it works against poor teams but teams that control the ball not so much.

It's a flaw in Woodson's philosophy and a flaw in Pearls. Plus the orange thing .. To put it plainly the dude is f**king weird like all orange people are.

Last edited:
Well duh.. but he's still a giant phony ass orange douche. and if you think Woodson's lineups are whacky .. Pearl is the king of participation trophy everyone plays rotations.

After Crean, Miller and Woodson I'd prefer someone who values analytics or values them more. it's stupid not to and deep lineups and constant overplay on defense are a sure sign he doesn't.

He did change up a bit after having Golden on staff, who's very much into data but still didn't change the above. Constant pressure equals too many fouls, deep lineups to keep players fresh equals drop in offensive efficiency and the return for both is creating more TO's.. but what happens is it works against poor teams but teams that control the ball not so much.

It's a flaw in Woodson's philosophy and a flaw in Pearls. Plus the orange thing .. orange people suck.
Huskies avatar.. I like it.

Yeah I don’t see how they justify bringing him back. There are some weird baked in things like giving a guy 4 years that 1) has become antiquated given the portal and 2) you just don’t see in many other sports.

The idea that perhaps had he lost the last three games he’d be out but bc he won he is coming back is absurd. Everyone has seen enough. This last little batch of wins is meaningless. You know what you’ve got
Can’t fire the black guy in 3 years if the white guy got 4, no matter how bad he is…

I believe he ratted out Illinois when he was with Iowa when they were both going for the same recruit.
The story I heard was that the phone conversations that Pearl taped and submitted as evidence were edited to highlight the portions where Thomas was talking about what Illinois was offering.

The problem was that the parts that were deleted were where (alledgedly) Bruce was making counter offers of money, cars, etc. When Bruce (/Iowa) couldn't outbid Illinois, that's when he decided to try to turn them in (the whole "if we can't get him, then no one will).

IANAL, but it was pretty much the epitome of entrapment. It was a douche move.

Reactions: DANC
Umm, ask Notre Dame About all the praise they received for firing Tyrone Willingham after three years.
True, but then Willingham was hired by Washington and soon went 0-12. The critics then were quiet and realized ND was right all along.

Reactions: IUINSB
Endless people repeating the same baseless speculation. They’re all feeding on each other. I’ve seen zero concrete evidence presented of any of these things. Just like every other done deal in every coaching search over the last 20 years. And we’re not even in an actual coaching search.
If dbmhoosier believes it, you know it’s bullshit

Umm, ask Notre Dame About all the praise they received for firing Tyrone Willingham after three years.
Why? I certainly didn’t see much national blowback on that, but it was 20 years ago. He was 21-16 and lost both bowl games . You’d probably know more since you are local .

It's a flaw in Woodson's philosophy and a flaw in Pearls. Plus the orange thing .. To put it plainly the dude is f**king weird like all orange people are.
I want someone who can coach the game…not someone who has to look at numbers to decide a lineup.

I want someone who can coach the game…not someone who has to look at numbers to decide a lineup.

"has to look up numbers" *eyeroll*

That's now how it works. Data removes preconceived biases and can show strength or weakness in areas you would never think to look.

No one has to look up numbers. you have to have a very good understanding of the game before you even understand what the numbers mean.

So, why not both .. it's not like you have to do everything by the numbers but when they tell you something you should probably listen and adjust to them. Knowing when to go against the numbers and when not to and go with feel is what makes a good tactical coach.

Bill Self uses them extensively, Danny Hurley. Brad Stevens. Coach K ..Dean Smith basically invented mathematical basketball. Almost every NBA team in existence and every player uses some sort of analytics .. if not.. they're falling behind..

Only fools ignore information. and if Woodson would have listen to the numbers and stopped using those f**ked up lineups his ass wouldn't be on the line..

"has to look up numbers" *eyeroll*

That's now how it works. Data removes preconceived biases and can show strength or weakness in areas you would never think to look.

No one has to look up numbers. you have to have a very good understanding of the game before you even understand what the numbers mean.

So, why not both .. it's not like you have to do everything by the numbers but when they tell you something you should probably listen and adjust to them. Knowing when to go against the numbers and when not to and go with feel is what makes a good tactical coach.

Bill Self uses them extensively, Danny Hurley. Brad Stevens. Coach K ..Dean Smith basically invented mathematical basketball. Almost every NBA team in existence and every player uses some sort of analytics .. if not.. they're falling behind..

Only fools ignore information. and if Woodson would have listen to the numbers and stopped using those f**ked up lineups his ass wouldn't be on the line..
Dean Smith? The guy that did less with more than almost anyone?

Data is good but not every situation is the same….which you alluded to in one of your sentences.

You can have all the data in the world but if you can’t properly construct a roster or sub at the same time every game because the data says little Johnny will be tired at that time…then it’s not of much use.

I’m fairly certain you know a well coached team when you see one…you don’t need the data to tell you that.

Data is a tool that is quite a bit behind roster construction in importance.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT