ADVERTISEMENT

Does Dolson Survive This?

If Cig goes wrong that would probably put him in trouble. A lot of revenue on the line there. That hire appears to be his.

It doesn’t feel like he’s on any kind of hot seat. Woody doesn’t seem to be all on him, but some of it definitely is.

The most plausible story of this last few months is Dolson would like to change bball coaches but Woody didn’t want to go and he has a lot of supporters as we know. Scott seems kinda stuck with everyone against him and he accepted it and didn’t make a big stink. Total guess I know.

IU just doesn’t prioritize athletics like some of us may like unfortunately. Scott will probably try again next year.
The Cig hire is a major distraction for the athletics dept to milk. There is a tremendous amount of money on the line...and the hire is both promising and exciting. This is taking pressure off of the basketball dumpster fire for timing reasons alone. Scott is in a half empty half full situation. He might even have his feelers out to escape this before next year....that would be a smart move. Unless there is a ready, willing and able replacement in the on-deck circle right now....Dolson has no reason to even suggest a move on Woodson. That replacement would need to be ready to sign. And since that guy is probably dancing....that isn't happening either. IU is stuck on stupid for another season. The only hope would be that Woodson is canned early in the season after some ugly losses....paving the way for next coach.

So we are blaming Dolson for a hire that we are not even sure he wanted to make and for keeping him when there are many rumblings that he wants to move on? Maybe, just maybe, Dolson is not the issue here--but I get it, he is an easy one to pick on for some

So we are blaming Dolson for a hire that we are not even sure he wanted to make and for keeping him when there are many rumblings that he wants to move on? Maybe, just maybe, Dolson is not the issue here--but I get it, he is an easy one to pick on for some
I don't think anyone is picking on him...I think there are two camps: one that thinks Dolson cannot act...and one that thinks he can. Those who think the latter are scratching their heads. I personally don't think IU has given the AD that latitude for a long time. Its always been handled in the smoke filled room...jmo

So if you were Dolson and was hindered in doing your job, you would chuck almost 500K a year?
If I was hindered at performing the important aspects of my job? Of course I would change jobs. in fact I have done exactly that. I have hired an executive head hunter and found another job. Dolson has a strong CV, I'm sure, and he could do it.

If you're comfortable being completely neutered at your job, then have at it. I wouldn't put up with it. I don't for a minute think that Dolson is limited in his job prospects. He wouldn't be working at Walmart if he left IU. LOL.

But, this is all speculation. He may actually support keeping Woody. He DID hire him, after all...

Reactions: iulb
Scott could make a move if he wanted to but Buckner and a couple big donors would be pissed. If it were me I would simply pull the trigger and then issue the following simple statement.

"I am the Athletic Director here. Understand that."

I don't think anyone is picking on him...I think there are two camps: one that thinks Dolson cannot act...and one that thinks he can. Those who think the latter are scratching their heads. I personally don't think IU has given the AD that latitude for a long time. Its always been handled in the smoke filled room...jmo
I've long wondered if IU's Athletic management philosophies are still effected by the RMK experience. Specifically, if they fundamentally changed their structure, beliefs, decision making processes, etc... to take power away from the coaches and ADs, because of how much power RMK had, and how "damaging" they might have felt that was for the perception of IU Admins.

Its probably not that deep. But man, something sure is off.

My current view is that Dolson is potentially the first person to challenge all this, in a long time. He's fired coaches earlier than we've been used to. He hired Matta/Fife, and tried to change up the bball dynamic. He shot his shot with Stevens.

I'm personally excited about the potential for the Whitten/Dolson combination. I just hope, if I'm right about them, that Buckner isn't allowed to F it all up much longer.

Scott could make a move if he wanted to but Buckner and a couple big donors would be pissed. If it were me I would simply pull the trigger and then issue the following simple statement.

"I am the Athletic Director here. Understand that."

Lol. You wouldn't be for long.

You've been on this board almost 20 years. Do you think the current BOT would approve hiring Bruce Pearl?
In this case yes. They can't just leave the job open obviously. Dolson does need BOT approval to hire. He has already reached out to Pearl according to the insiders on BtB and got a positive reaction(Rabjohns and Trilly confirmed it too). He wouldn't reach out if he couldn't get him approved. Beard, for example, was a complete no go. Not Pearl.

Last edited:
I think Dolson keeps his job regardless. However, if Woodson puts a team on the floor next year anything like this season I think IU fans will have little remaining faith/trust in Dolson to ever fix the basketball program.
Not a question of if, but when.

I see two problems with Woodson's ability to improve on this year's team next year: 1. He doesn't want to change his coaching philosophy...and 2. He doesn't know how to change his coaching philosophy. He is what he is.

If Dusty doesn’t go to Lville, he’s my best guess for the next IU coach. He passes the IU Puritan test. And he is unproven at a big school and risky — just how we like our coaches at IU.

Reactions: indy1203
If I was hindered at performing the important aspects of my job? Of course I would change jobs. in fact I have done exactly that. I have hired an executive head hunter and found another job. Dolson has a strong CV, I'm sure, and he could do it.

If you're comfortable being completely neutered at your job, then have at it. I wouldn't put up with it. I don't for a minute think that Dolson is limited in his job prospects. He wouldn't be working at Walmart if he left IU. LOL.

But, this is all speculation. He may actually support keeping Woody. He DID hire him, after all...

Kudos for you but I don't imagine most people are going to give up 500K to make a point that their boss(es) are wrong.

IF it is a mass exodus of players AND next season is a dumpster fire, will Dolson get canned too?

Feels like it’s possible, so why not take a stand and say that you are resigning if Woodson is not fired this year?

I dont get how anyone could be running this and not wanting to abandon ship or make changes.
... it's going to happen, we just need to be patient and watch the tourney ... the good teams for a change, shop for what we want, not a new model of what we have as we've shown a penchant for.

Kudos for you but I don't imagine most people are going to give up 500K to make a point that their boss(es) are wrong.
It's not a matter of making "a point that their boss(es) are wrong." Is that really what you got from my post? That I'm trying to be a petulant child? LOL

It's about being able to do your job. If you are not given the freedom to make the big decisions that are fundamental to your job, and you're at a VP or C-Suite kind of position, then you're going to be miserable at your job.

It's not a matter of making "a point that their boss(es) are wrong." Is that really what you got from my post? That I'm trying to be a petulant child? LOL

It's about being able to do your job. If you are not given the freedom to make the big decisions that are fundamental to your job, and you're at a VP or C-Suite kind of position, then you're going to be miserable at your job.
You need to look at the management tree......in any organization...be it pubic or private...one thing is clear: The higher you get on the ladder....the more political it gets. And you probably know the definition of politics: "poly" meaning many...and "tics", meaning small, blood-sucking critters. The closer to the top, the greater the politics. IU has a healthy political apparatus running the show. And Woodson is sucking the teet. It is what it is.

You need to look at the management tree......in any organization...be it pubic or private...one thing is clear: The higher you get on the ladder....the more political it gets. And you probably know the definition of politics: "poly" meaning many...and "tics", meaning small, blood-sucking critters. The closer to the top, the greater the politics. IU has a healthy political apparatus running the show. And Woodson is sucking the teet. It is what it is.
No disagreement. In this case, it's literally political as most BOT positions are installed by politicians.

But, if the rumors are true, then IU truly is massively dysfunctional. If the AD really isn't given the latitude to make basic hiring and firing decisions regarding coaches, and member of the BOT are intimately involved in those kind of day-to-day minutiae, rather than oversight, then I don't know what to tell you.

Are deans of schools also not hiring and firing profs? Are members of the BOT also doing that as well? The BOT should be providing oversight. Period.

Football is where the money is. Dolson is not going anywhere unless Coach Cig flops. If Cig succeeds he may get a lifetime contract. Maybe they should just let Dolson pick his guy. That's what the football side did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tammany Hall
Unfortunately our AD is in a no win situation, if in fact he wanted to make a HC change. Long term he will have to live with the perception that he didn’t make the right decision regarding our bb program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT