ADVERTISEMENT

Does Dolson Survive This?

PanDatrick

Benchwarmer
Jan 2, 2015
IF it is a mass exodus of players AND next season is a dumpster fire, will Dolson get canned too?

Feels like it’s possible, so why not take a stand and say that you are resigning if Woodson is not fired this year?

I dont get how anyone could be running this and not wanting to abandon ship or make changes.

IF it is a mass exodus of players AND next season is a dumpster fire, will Dolson get canned too?

Feels like it’s possible, so why not take a stand and say that you are resigning if Woodson is not fired this year?

I dont get how anyone could be running this and not wanting to abandon ship or make changes.
He should, unless he doesn’t have the power to tell the board to go f*** themselves and fire Woodson anyway.

I’m going to think REALLY HARD about *taking a stand* when I have a salary of hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line.

Hard to say I dont think Dolosn is in charge of much of anything regarding mens bbal. It seems to two big donors are pulling all the strings right now. Just like it was drawn up in Blue Chips.

Impossible to tell how all of that would go down. So much hearsay on the initial Woody hiring, who made the decision, how the decision was made, etc... And then the same for the raise last offseason... And then the same for the decision to keep him or not after this season.

I would say IF its true that Quinn has been driving a lot of this stuff...I would have to think other members on the BOT, and the President, would factor that in to any decisions on Dolson, if next year is a dumpster fire and Woody ultimately has to be fired.

If Dolson has been complicit in all this, and was an equal Woodson advocate on everything...his job status should probably be fair game to scrutinize.

He won’t be fired.

Either way, he’s probably following Woodson out the door. Just a question of “is it this year, or next?”

Maybe, maybe not. I'd say IUNorth's post above is reasonable. If Dolson has been pushing for a change but has his hands tied, then he likely survives a poor season next year. Especially if Woodson wasn't his guy to begin with. None of us really know what is going on behind the big door.

If Cig goes wrong that would probably put him in trouble. A lot of revenue on the line there. That hire appears to be his.

It doesn’t feel like he’s on any kind of hot seat. Woody doesn’t seem to be all on him, but some of it definitely is.

The most plausible story of this last few months is Dolson would like to change bball coaches but Woody didn’t want to go and he has a lot of supporters as we know. Scott seems kinda stuck with everyone against him and he accepted it and didn’t make a big stink. Total guess I know.

IU just doesn’t prioritize athletics like some of us may like unfortunately. Scott will probably try again next year.

Last edited:
This is why I groaned a bit when Dolson was hired as AD. I was hoping that an outside candidate would be hired.

IU needed someone who had been successful elsewhere who would have the guts to make tough decisions and change the atmosphere in the athletic dept. Dolson was exactly the wrong choice to do that.

It's showing now...

This is why I groaned a bit when Dolson was hired as AD. I was hoping that an outside candidate would be hired.

IU needed someone who had been successful elsewhere who would have the guts to make tough decisions and change the atmosphere in the athletic dept. Dolson was exactly the wrong choice to do that.

It's showing now...
That's precisely why he was hired.

It's showing now...
Yea.

IU hired Glass, who didn’t have AD experience. He missed on his three big hires — Wilson (effectively fired), Allen (fired), Archie (fired).

Then Fred sets up Dolson as his successor, a guy with no experience who has been at IU. Scott goes and hires a bball coach with no college experience, which has been a miss.

We just don’t know what we are doing. Maybe Scott figured out the process with Cig. I am hopeful he did. I think our best shot is letting Scott call the shots — that’s how it is supposed to work with ADs.

We get away with this mess because we are in a rich conference.

Last edited:
Then Fred sets up Dolson as his successor, a guy with no experience who has been at IU. Scott goes and hires a bball coach with no college experience, which has been a miss.
I mean, Dolson was Deputy AD under Glass, so it's not like they plucked him from the mail room. He was President of the Varsity Club for quite some time as well. And of course he had been a student manager under RMK. From a sports aspect, he had a better background than Glass.

Sure it might have felt better if they'd gotten a Big Time AD from some other school, but that sort of thing doesn't happen at IU.

Yea.

IU hired Glass, who didn’t have AD experience. He missed on his three big hires — Wilson (effectively fired), Allen (fired), Archie (fired).

We just don’t know what we are doing. Maybe Scott figured out the process with Cig. I am hopeful he did. I think our best shot is letting Scott call the shots — that’s how it is supposed to work with ADs.
He's spent too many years fundraising. Likely owes all the high rollers big favors. Probably why they wanted him hired and not a pipe hitter like Pat Kraft. He's bought and paid for. The billionaires want to keep running the show.

I mean, Dolson was Deputy AD under Glass, so it's not like they plucked him from the mail room. He was President of the Varsity Club for quite some time as well. And of course he had been a student manager under RMK. From a sports aspect, he had a better background than Glass.

Sure it might have felt better if they'd gotten a Big Time AD from some other school, but that sort of thing doesn't happen at IU.
Yep. I get Scott had those roles but he wasn’t learning from a successful athletic dept. And he comes in a screws up his first hiring process (assuming he wasn’t forced and I don’t think he totally was). And yea, outside hires aren’t popular at IU.

I am hopeful Scott gets it now. He’s learned the hard way. I kinda trust him.

Yep. I get Scott had those roles but he wasn’t learning from a successful athletic dept. And he comes in a screws up his first hiring process (assuming he wasn’t forced and I don’t think he totally was). And yea, outside hires aren’t popular at IU.

I am hopeful Scott gets it now. He’s learned the hard way. I kinda trust him.
I know what you're saying and I don't disagree. But IU is never going to go for a big time AD. I don't think they want real power there. But hey, if they end up getting rid of Dolson then the next AD will probably be Quinn Buckner. Doesn't his BOT role end in a year or so? Who better to run the athletic department than Hoosier legend Quinn Buckner?

I know what you're saying and I don't disagree. But IU is never going to go for a big time AD. I don't think they want real power there. But hey, if they end up getting rid of Dolson then the next AD will probably be Quinn Buckner. Doesn't his BOT role end in a year or so? Who better to run the athletic department than Hoosier legend Quinn Buckner?
I agree with you — I’ve given up. An experienced AD would love to spend all the B1G $ we get. What a shame.

I guess the devil you know is better than the one you don’t. And tbf Scott isn’t a devil. As I said I kinda trust him and think he learned some good lessons the hard way. Or maybe he is the least crazy person involved and I’m giving him too much credit.

He might survive another shitty bball season if the football team exceeds expectations.
I can't see that...
Anything less than a positive season...
Meaning a 21 win yr. And tournament bid..
The it'll be a overwhelming landslide towards the board and Dolson..

I agree with you — I’ve given up. An experienced AD would love to spend all the B1G $ we get. What a shame.

I guess the devil you know is better than the one you don’t. And tbf Scott isn’t a devil. As I said I kinda trust him and think he learned some good lessons the hard way. Or maybe he is the least crazy person involved and I’m giving him too much credit.
I have no idea why you "trust" Dolson. The Woody hire was a train wreck from the start. A slow motion train wreck.

And the current situation still is. And we're continuing to watch it in real time. If, and it's an IF, the rumors are true and IU is simply trying to up its NIL spending, then the train wreck is just getting worse. Simply trying to solve the problem by buying players in the portal is horrible decision-making.

The ROI last year was already horrible.

Dolson is clearly a poor executive in the way that he has handled the basketball program.

I have no idea why you "trust" Dolson. The Woody hire was a train wreck from the start. A slow motion train wreck.

And the current situation still is. And we're continuing to watch it in real time. If, and it's an IF, the rumors are true and IU is simply trying to up its NIL spending, then the train wreck is just getting worse. Simply trying to solve the problem by buying players in the portal is horrible decision-making.

The ROI last year was already horrible.

Dolson is clearly a poor executive in the way that he has handled the basketball program.
The Cig hire gives me hope. Trying to be optimistic when everything is a mess. I can’t really disagree with your points.

He screws up a lot of little details, which is not good: like the student tix for the Louisville game, those alternate jerseys, and letting the Hysterics run around AH and the program.

The Cig hire gives me hope. Trying to be optimistic when everything is a mess. I can’t really disagree with your points.

He screws up a lot of little details, which is not good: like the student tix for the Louisville game, those alternate jerseys, and letting the Hysterics run around AH and the program.
Yeah, I'm sure I look at things from the wrong perspective, but I look at things from a corporate perspective. I get not being able to do exactly what you want to do all the time. It happens. You get overruled sometimes.

But he was hired to be AD and the AD's most important job at IU is to oversee the basketball program. The money automatically rolls into ANY B1G program due to the conference's TV contracts. Just as the AD's job at OSU or Michigan is to ensure that the football program is successful, the AD at IU should ensure that the BBall team is successful.

If I'm the AD at IU and I'm not allowed to do that job, then I'm not at the job anymore. I don't understand what Dolson is doing at all. Either step on some toes and do your job or resign. He's a complete p*ssy at this point.

If my CEO came to me and told me that I couldn't perform the basic duties of my job anymore, I would tell him to back off. Period.

He has the power to pull the trigger but he won't. He was hired to be a yes man. Buckner's bitch essentially. That's what he is. Good man horrible athletic director.
You haven't been paying attention during Scott's tenure...obviously

But he was hired to be AD and the AD's most important job at IU is to oversee the basketball program.
That may what fans want, but I haven't seen much in the last 30 years that would indicate that the university believes it's the AD's most important job.

Yeah, I'm sure I look at things from the wrong perspective, but I look at things from a corporate perspective. I get not being able to do exactly what you want to do all the time. It happens. You get overruled sometimes.

But he was hired to be AD and the AD's most important job at IU is to oversee the basketball program. The money automatically rolls into ANY B1G program due to the conference's TV contracts. Just as the AD's job at OSU or Michigan is to ensure that the football program is successful, the AD at IU should ensure that the BBall team is successful.

If I'm the AD at IU and I'm not allowed to do that job, then I'm not at the job anymore. I don't understand what Dolson is doing at all. Either step on some toes and do your job or resign. He's a complete p*ssy at this point.

If my CEO came to me and told me that I couldn't perform the basic duties of my job anymore, I would tell him to back off. Period.
Yea. From a classic corporate governance perspective it’s a very dysfunctional.

I think Dolson keeps his job regardless. However, if Woodson puts a team on the floor next year anything like this season I think IU fans will have little remaining faith/trust in Dolson to ever fix the basketball program.

So if you were Dolson and was hindered in doing your job, you would chuck almost 500K a year?

Reactions: IUCrazy2
Chris Reynolds is a current AD correct? How about we hire experienced folks for jobs going forwards, since hiring a NBA assistant for men’s basketball HC seems to be a failed approach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT