ADVERTISEMENT

We're # 27!! Woo hoo!!!

Can you quantify "materially more upside" and assign names and availability?

I also guess I find it disheartening that my fellow alumni, a.k.a. our "leadership," can't appropriately weigh the options, if it is in fact true, that we can upgrade the head coaching position without taking undue risk.

Also, I am not sure I am familiar with what the phrase "finding a way to go long a call" means in your second to last partial sentence so I might be mischaracterizing your sentiments and, if so, I apologize.
Crean is in year 17 of his coaching career and has been an NCAA team 8 times and has lost 10 or more games in a season 12 times. This gives you a steady sample size for his coaching career. A young coach that is showing he can coach with the big boys doesnt have the sample size yet. So yes it is a risk but the upside is higher because we have seen what Crean is capable of in his 16 years vs Millers 4 years(just an example). Also would you gamble on a young coach when at worst he does what Crean has done here and win 60% of his games?

My issue on Crean is I don't see him establishing a consistently good program. We will be really good then awful, then decent...and now are we primed to be really good again? I think we could but only if we learn to play defense. I stem a lot of his issues to his roster management....which is down right awful to be honest.

Crean is in year 17 of his coaching career and has been an NCAA team 8 times and has lost 10 or more games in a season 12 times. This gives you a steady sample size for his coaching career. A young coach that is showing he can coach with the big boys doesnt have the sample size yet. So yes it is a risk but the upside is higher because we have seen what Crean is capable of in his 16 years vs Millers 4 years(just an example). Also would you gamble on a young coach when at worst he does what Crean has done here and win 60% of his games?

My issue on Crean is I don't see him establishing a consistently good program. We will be really good then awful, then decent...and now are we primed to be really good again? I think we could but only if we learn to play defense. I stem a lot of his issues to his roster management....which is down right awful to be honest.

Fair enough I guess. I just guess I am not convinced that the UMASS guy is coaching "with the big boys" aside from beating Archie Miller and Dayton...if that qualifies.

Also, haven't we been "really good," and then "awful," and then "decent" in a pretty cyclical fashion for the last 40 years? Frankly, I am happy to be "primed to be really good again."

Finally, be careful what you wish for. Dumping Bill Mallory for Cam Cameron? That was a solid move.

Try again and use real facts

RMK's last years
1994–95 Indiana 19–12 11–7 T–3rd NCAA First Round
1995–96 Indiana 19–12 12–6 T–2nd NCAA First Round
1996–97 Indiana 22–11 9–9 T–6th NCAA First Round
1997–98 Indiana 20–12 9–7 T–5th NCAA Second Round
1998–99 Indiana 23–11 9–7 T–3rd NCAA Second Round
1999–00 Indiana 20–9 10–6 5th NCAA First Round

So.....6 tourneys, ZERO sweet 16's in his final 6 years. ZERO lottery picks from his amazing coaching and recruiting.

2011–12Indiana 27–9 11–7 5th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13Indiana 29–7 14–4 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2013–14Indiana 17–15 7–11 T–8th
2014–15Indiana 20–14 9–9 T–7th NCAA Round of 64

So.....3 tourney's, two season of over 27 wins, TWO sweet 16's in his only true 4 years at IU after his only 2 year rebuild. THREE NBA lottery draft picks.

Check mate.

RMK's last years

So.....6 tourneys, ZERO sweet 16's in his final 6 years. ZERO lottery picks from his amazing coaching and recruiting.

So.....3 tourney's, two season of over 27 wins, TWO sweet 16's in his only true 4 years at IU after his only 2 year rebuild. THREE NBA lottery draft picks.

Check mate.

Check mate? I love how you use BK's last 6 instead of 7 and only Creans last 4. I used Knights 7 and Creans 7. Also what does lottery picks show other than that CTC under achieved with that many. How many lottery picks did Knight have on his national title team in 87? Zero.

It is a small class and we were able to get the #6 center in the country which we desperately needed. Hopefully the other two will come in and be role players at first then in a couple of years will be ready to contribute.
I believe you didn't mean it the way you said it because role players are a valuable and necessary part of any team so they do make
Some sort of natural disaster would have to occur for IU's record to be 30-4 after bowing out of the E8. That's not enough games.

Even if you reduce a couple non-con games to make the numbers work, it would mean IU went undefeated in the non-conf. and only lost 2 games in the B1G regular season. 27-2 at this point.

That's a top 2 or 3 ranked team.

Then they get bounced in the first round of the B1G tourney (27-3).

Then go 3-1 to get bounced early from the tourney to end at 30-4.

I would have fired Crean a long time ago, so of course I fire him after that.

Your support of the program is the problem. Constantly providing the AD with a stream of revenue (or even praise) for mediocre results removes any incentive for them to do better.

But by all means, go enjoy show.

With fans like you, I would recommend the AD fire the coach and not even hire a new one. Just let the kids go out and play and then run the cheerleaders out every so often for the William Tell Overture. IU could make even more money!! Think how awesome we would be then!!!!!

Wow! I think that was a bit over-the-top.

RMK's last years

Check mate.

2011–12 Indiana 27–9 11–7 5th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13 Indiana 29–7 14–4 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2013–14 Indiana 17–15 7–11 T–8th
2014–15 Indiana 20–14 9–9 T–7th NCAA Round of 64

So he is 41-31 in BIG play the last 4 years with 3 lottery picks.(Winning percentage of 57%)

A basketball school? We've been top 40-ish or worse since 1993 (except for one Davis and one Crean year)...are you not used to it yet? It's pushing 24 years of mediocrity.

I am buying tickets and sending checks to the Varsity Club just like I was when Knight was sucking it and running off Jason Collier and Luke Recker and Neil Reed and Sherron Wilkerson...et. al.

Losing to Minnesota by 50 (literally) in the regular season and losing in the first and second rounds of the tournament to Mizzou, Colorado, BC, Pepperdine and others was awesome!!! Maybe Archie Miller can bring us back to those glory days!!!

By the way, what actions are you taking that demonstrate you are not "sitting idly by?" Have you ceased buying tickets or donating money? I interpret the opposite of "sitting idly by" as actually doing something (or refraining from doing something). How are you taking action (or refraining from taking action) other than bitching about things on an internet message board?

Please acknowledge accordingly:

1. I, Creaned Heat, have stopped purchasing season tickets, which I once purchased regularly, to Indiana basketball games in protest of the existing coaching administration. Yes/No (underline accordingly)

2. I, Creaned Heat, have discontinued my annual donations to the Indiana University Varsity Club in protest of the existing coaching adminstration. Yes/No (underline accordingly)

3. I, Creaned Heat, have discontinued my membership in the Indiana University Alumni Association in protest of the existing coaching administration. Yes/No (underline accordingly)

By the way, if you actually have ceased any of those activities, which I doubt you ever actually engaged in, I applaud you as my priority points might improve and consequently my seats might as well.

Please feel free to cite any other endeavor you have undertaken (or declined to undertake) to illustrate your not "sitting idly by."

haha, right on cue. another "true fan" post.

Davis, Sampson, and Crean all got this school ranked in the top ten despite their massive flaws. IU will keep searching. too slowly for most of our tastes but faster than you'd apparently like. missing the tourney half the time is bad for business. lol. but you'd root for a wet napkin if they hired one, wouldn't you?

keep cheering and fighting the good fight, mr. scout! crean needs your good mojo.

Sweet. Archie Miller and "Kellgo," albeit I have never heard of the latter.

Upon further review, UMASS was 17-15 last year, lost 6 of their last 7 to Rhode Island, VCU, St. Joe, Richmond, GW, and Lasalle respectively and didn't make any post-season tournament.

Also, UMASS is 126-101 under "Kellgo" in his seven year tenure and has made the tournament one time in which they lost in the first round to Tennessee by 19 points. I say we back up the truck for this guy ASAP! Let's go get him!

you really try hard to make crean stick. you know, schools actually give younger coaches from lesser programs a shot. did you know that? Crean and Bill Self were practically the same hire when IU and KU scooped them up. Difference is one has been exposed. silly to think IU won't or shouldn't try again. very few hires look perfect at first. very few big time coaches switch jobs. did you not know that? really? do you only follow IU? is that why you think we are in a good spot being just top 40 with all this money and all these highly ranked kids? is it?

you've stopped trying but keep typing away if you want.

haha, right on cue. another "true fan" post.

Davis, Sampson, and Crean all got this school ranked in the top ten despite their massive flaws. IU will keep searching. too slowly for most of our tastes but faster than you'd apparently like. missing the tourney half the time is bad for business. lol. but you'd root for a wet napkin if they hired one, wouldn't you?

keep cheering and fighting the good fight, mr. scout! crean needs your good mojo.

Will do Creaned Heat! Thanks for the pep talk! In the meantime, see you at the IU v. SIU football game on 9/5/2015!!!

Go Hoosiers!

you really try hard to make crean stick. you know, schools actually give younger coaches from lesser programs a shot. did you know that? Crean and Bill Self were practically the same hire when IU and KU scooped them up. Difference is one has been exposed. silly to think IU won't or shouldn't try again. very few hires look perfect at first. very few big time coaches switch jobs. did you not know that? really? do you only follow IU? is that why you think we are in a good spot being just top 40 with all this money and all these highly ranked kids? is it?

you've stopped trying but keep typing away if you want.

Yes...please let us hire the guy from UMASS of whom which no one has ever heard and who has a really average record in the A-10 and is 0-1 in the NCAA in seven years and lost six of his last seven last year and didn't make any post-season tournament (he has, however, beaten the revered Archie Miller repeatedly...so he's got that going for him).

Oh, and in the meantime, pay Tom Crean $12 million or whatever it is we owe him. That is a sound plan!

Those will be exciting times! The sky will be the limit with those moves!

Yes...please let us hire the guy from UMASS of whom which no one has ever heard and who has a really average record in the A-10 and is 0-1 in the NCAA in seven years and lost six of his last seven last year and didn't make any post-season tournament (he has, however, beaten the revered Archie Miller repeatedly...so he's got that going for him).

Oh, and in the meantime, pay Tom Crean $12 million or whatever it is we owe him. That is a sound plan!

I would think if you were a big college basketball fan like most are on here, has heard of Derek Kellogg . I wouldn't want him as coach but he is known name and he was a very good player at UMASS as well.

I would think if you were a big college basketball fan like most are on here, has heard of Derek Kellogg . I wouldn't want him as coach but he is known name and he was a very good player at UMASS as well.

I guess I am not a big college basketball fan then because I have never heard of him until today...which, in retrospect, is astonishing given the big numbers he has put up over the last seven years.

I must have missed it when UMASS caught lightning in a bottle two years ago and lost in the first round of the tournament to Tennessee by 19...which is seemingly the apex of Minutemen basketball under the Derek Kellogg regime (that is if you ignore the lifetime 2-2 head-to-head record v. Archie Miller and the Dayton Flyers).

I guess I am not a big college basketball fan then because I have never heard of him until today...which, in retrospect, is astonishing given the big numbers he has put up over the last seven years.

I must have missed it when UMASS caught lightning in a bottle two years ago and lost in the first round of the tournament to Tennessee by 19...which is seemingly the apex of Minutemen basketball under the Derek Kellogg regime (that is if you ignore the lifetime 2-2 head-to-head record v. Archie Miller and the Dayton Flyers).

Good grief...well lets just embrace our .600% winning coach who we pay like a top 10 coach.

I did not say he was a good coach and said I wouldn't hire him but if you watch college basketball or follow it at all you would know his name.

we should. some of these younger guys can get us in the top 25 on the reg. but you don't really care about that, do you?

Will do Creaned Heat! Thanks for the pep talk! In the meantime, see you at the IU v. SIU football game on 9/5/2015!!!

Go Hoosiers!

what does that have to do with IU basketball not being a top 25 program? sorry you think making the tourney more than half the time is out of reach. depressing :(

Good grief...well lets just embrace our .600% winning coach who we pay like a top 10 coach.
A serious question? if Crean was the 30th highest paid coach in the country would it make you feel different on his career here at IU. You guys always bring up his salary but I would bet it wouldn't make a difference to you if he was not one of the highest paid coaches. I know I couldn't care less what a coach makes as long as they win and do the right things.

A serious question? if Crean was the 30th highest paid coach in the country would it make you feel different on his career here at IU. You guys always bring up his salary but I would bet it wouldn't make a difference to you if he was not one of the highest paid coaches. I know I couldn't care less what a coach makes as long as they win and do the right things.
It would probably give him more leeway but he is being paid like a top 10 coach and is not a top 10 coach.

what does that have to do with IU basketball not being a top 25 program? sorry you think making the tourney more than half the time is out of reach. depressing :(

Do something about it if you are not happy. Maybe you could write the AD a letter letting him know you are going to continue your lifetime trend of not doing anything to contribute to the program in any way until there is change. That will show them!!!

ha In RMK's last 7 seasons he made one sweet 16. One. That was "good enough" to have people want to keep him on. Does that mean RMK lowered the expectations of IU fans? Enough with this nonsense.

Yes, Knight did lower expectations his last 7 years. I said he should have been fired just for that.

The only "nonsense" is people being thrilled with making the Sweet 16 8 years into Crean's reign.

Just read the final rankings for the '15 Class and we're ranked # 27.

Will the Crean groupies PLEASE stop slobbering all over him with, "He's an awesome recruiter!!"

Please?

And stop with the, "It's not his fault. He's on the hot seat so that drives players away" nonsense.

IMHO.. we would rank much higher if evaluated from a "filling needs" perspective.

Yes, Knight did lower expectations his last 7 years. I said he should have been fired just for that.

The only "nonsense" is people being thrilled with making the Sweet 16 8 years into Crean's reign.

That, my friend, is why you make no sense. You think Knight lowered expectations??? Also, I don't think people are thrilled with making the sweet 16 in half of Creans true seasons as our head coach (having expectations of one during the rebuild is a cause for you to get your head checked). People just think going to sweet 16's every other year on average and periodically in the conversation for a title is enough not to get fired. It's also an indictment on the coaches IU truly can bring in that are better. The options are limited to none.

That, my friend, is why you make no sense. You think Knight lowered expectations??? Also, I don't think people are thrilled with making the sweet 16 in half of Creans true seasons as our head coach (having expectations of one during the rebuild is a cause for you to get your head checked). People just think going to sweet 16's every other year on average and periodically in the conversation for a title is enough not to get fired. It's also an indictment on the coaches IU truly can bring in that are better. The options are limited to none.

So he is 41-31 in BIG play the last 4 years with 3 lottery picks.(Winning percentage of 57%)

Yes, Knight did lower expectations his last several years here. We were getting embarrassed at the Dance and people were making excuses with, "Hey, at least we made it. Most schools would kill just to make it all the time."

And I'm not talking about "half" of Crean's seasons.....I'm talking about THIS season. People are saying, "If we make the Sweet 16, I'll consider it a great season."

That's absurd. He's in his 8th season with a loaded team. If he can't get to at least the Elite 8 with this team, he never will.

Do something about it if you are not happy. Maybe you could write the AD a letter letting him know you are going to continue your lifetime trend of not doing anything to contribute to the program in any way until there is change. That will show them!!!

hahaha. how the hell would you know what I do to support the program?

but keep typing out "true fan" posts. they are great.

hahaha. I just love it. you really have to degrade IU to make Crean fit, don't ya? Bill Self and Crean had somewhat similar resumes when KU and IU hired them. We got an up and comer even at our lowest point. KU got lucky; we got a very average coach. It happens. so we lower all program expectations because of it. How stupid is that?

and what does this mean?

"People just think going to sweet 16's every other year on average and periodically in the conversation for a title is enough not to get fired."

True seasons? what the hell is that? he tried to pick and choose which Sampson kids he wanted. he whiffed on all of them. we had good players year 3 for god's sake. dude just can't coach. same with last two years.

but do what ever you gotta do to make it all fit. IU sucks. Our money doesn't spend. we've been down foe 20 years. whatever it takes.

beyond dumb

hahaha. how the hell would you know what I do to support the program?

but keep typing out "true fan" posts. they are great.

I am pretty sure I know.

Anyways, I hope you can get on board with K-Dubs, Suds and the gang for football season before you have to worry about Tommy-Boy's next five years at the helm in basketball! See you in Pasadena!

hahaha. I just love it. you really have to degrade IU to make Crean fit, don't ya? Bill Self and Crean had somewhat similar resumes when KU and IU hired them. We got an up and comer even at our lowest point. KU got lucky; we got a very average coach. It happens. so we lower all program expectations because of it. How stupid is that?

and what does this mean?

"People just think going to sweet 16's every other year on average and periodically in the conversation for a title is enough not to get fired."

True seasons? what the hell is that? he tried to pick and choose which Sampson kids he wanted. he whiffed on all of them. we had good players year 3 for god's sake. dude just can't coach. same with last two years.

but do what ever you gotta do to make it all fit. IU sucks. Our money doesn't spend. we've been down foe 20 years. whatever it takes.

beyond dumb

Uhhh, what?

Uhhh, what?

I addressed your points. keep up.

• "true seasons" talk is crap. been crean's ship since he got here. judging just a 4 year stretch of his tenure here when he's been here for 7 and coaching 16 total doesn't make sense but it's what is necessary to blindly defend him. put an asterisk by years one and two if you gotta, but you can delete that from his career and still wonder why we were so awful in years 3 and 6 and so avg in 7, why his adj D still ranks 75. ya, folks would be jazzed to make the sweet 16 twice every four years but not then bounce to like 80th best team in the ncaa for a year and stay unranked for two.
  • "options limited to none" - despite NCAA sanctions, IU landed crean. well thought of at the time (think he's thought of the same way now? anyway...). why would IU have limited options to improved upon a coach who as made the tourney 8/16 years and won only 4/8 of those first games; has been to 3 tourneys in a row once; has never been a conference tourney champ; and finished 4th or higher like 3 times? why oh why? lol

Last edited:

Just a random look at talent recently with regard to Indiana's last 15 McDonald's All-Americans:

Crean era:
Bryant: still on team
Blackmon: still on team
Vonleh: 9th overall pick
Ferrell: still on team
Zeller: 4th overall pick

Sampson era:
Gordon: 7th overall pick

Davis era:
White: graduated and drafted by Pistons
Wright: drafted by T-wolves

Knight era:
Jeffries: never coached by coach that recruited him due to firing of coach for assaulting student (helped lead team coached by recruiting coach's successor to national championship game)
Fife: finished college career under different coach than coach that recruited him due to firing of coach for assaulting student (helped lead team coached by recruiting coach's successor to national championship game)
Recker: left because of differences of opinion with head coach (got in bad car crash then hit shot for Iowa to beat Indiana in 2002 Big 10 tournament)
Collier: left because of differences of opinion with head coach (currently dead)
Patterson: could sing in Japanese on IU tv comemercials and last played for Egaleo AO in 2007
Reed: left because coach choked him (currently dead)
Wilkerson: head-butted by head coach and subsequently dismissed from team

Last edited:
Just a random look at talent recently with regard to Indiana's last 15 McDonald's All-Americans:

Crean era:
Bryant: still on team
Blackmon: still on team
Vonleh: 9th overall pick
Ferrell: still on team
Zeller: 4th overall pick

Sampson era:
Gordon: 7th overall pick

Davis era:
White: graduated and drafted by Pistons
Wright: drafted by T-wolves

Knight era:
Jeffries: never coached by coach that recruited him due to firing of coach for assaulting student (helped lead team coached by recruiting coach's successor to national championship game)
Fife: finished college career under different coach than coach that recruited him due to firing of coach for assaulting student (helped lead team coached by recruiting coach's successor to national championship game)
Recker: left because of differences of opinion with head coach (got in bad car crash then hit shot for Iowa to beat Indiana in 2002 Big 10 tournament)
Collier: left because of differences of opinion with head coach (currently dead)
Patterson: could sing in Japanese on IU tv comemercials and last played for Egaleo AO in 2007
Reed: left because coach choked him (currently dead)
Wilkerson: head-butted by head coach and subsequently dismissed from team

And that has to do with what??? Knight still won 67% of his games in his last 7 years

And that has to do with what??? Knight still won 67% of his games in his last 7 years

It doesn't have anything to do with anything. It's just an observation.

Also, if you are comparing only the last seven years with regard to tenure at Indiana, Crean has been to twice as many Sweet Sixteens in the last seven years as the other guy went to in his last seven years.

Correct, the wins coming when those lottery picks were on the team. The losses coming once they left. After this year, that BT winning % will be right back up.

So mike Davis is better than both of them then?

Not by last seven year Sweet 16 standards...I think Davis only went once in six years. He is tied with Knight (but I will give Davis the slight edge since he had one fewer year in which to do it).

Crean: 2 in seven years
Davis: 1 in six years
Knight: 1 in seven years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT