ADVERTISEMENT

Was Destewart Banned?

Ok, Des. I knew you were a DePauw guy from years of posts. Didn't know your BT ties though. SO, I HAVE TO ASK...re the infamous tie-breaker in '73, it was a former M man turned Badger, who was the swing vote, right??

Oh, and after perusing DePauw and Wabash football rosters a few months ago, your alma mater needs to get back to recruiting da Region!!

I left for the Bulls in September of 1973 and was not with the BT for the Dennis Franklin vote. However, I have watched the well done documentary on BTN. There are only a handful of people alive who were anyway involved in that decision. The only surviving AD is Bump Elliott of Iowa who will be 94 this month, John Dewey who was Asst Commissioner of the Big Ten and Jeff Elliott, my former assistant who was Service Bureau Director. I do not think we will ever have a conclusive answer.

I am still here. I did notice a post was banned. Surprised since I was really praising recruiting at both schools and reminding people that hopefully we all will see the day when the Bucket contest will again be relevant as it was 52 years ago in 1967 when the eyes of the Big Ten were on Bloomington and the resulting IU upset win sent the Hoosiers to their only Rose Bowl and the outcome also forged a three way tie for the Big Ten Championship with IU, Minnesota and Purdue all sitting at the top. Ironically there was a Purdue and IU connection in the Gophers forging the tie. The Minnesota QB that year was Phil Hagen whose son Mark starred for IU and has been a coach twice at Indiana and also coached at Purdue. The three way title marked the last time both IU and Minnesota were Big Ten champs.
I was at that game. Climbed the goal post after

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT