ADVERTISEMENT

The Thrill is Gone

I defy you to cite anyone here defending Feinstein still being in office.
I bet Chuck Grassley and Dianne Feinstein have some fresh ideas.

The GOP had just increased its numbers in both chambers in the midterm elections of 2002, a political season dominated by anxiety after the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Feinstein and others made numerous efforts to restore the ban that year and over the next several years. When Barack Obama was elected president in 2008 he made renewing the ban part of his agenda. Efforts were mounted again after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in December 2012, but none bore fruit.

The attempt to reinstate the ban after Sandy Hook attracted 12 fewer votes in the Senate than Feinstein had mustered in an attempt to renew the ban in 2004.

--
The reasons why are varied, but it is likely that NRA money played a huge role. GOP senators made promises that they kept, promises that kept campaign coffers (if not personal bank accounts) filled up.
The title throws me, Feinstein just won and is 143 years old. I am not sure the odds of her running in 2024. If so, she deserves to win for inventing immortality and sharing it with RBG (clearly she should share it with her, otherwise she should lose even if she invents it).
Feinstein has never been a partisan bomb-thrower, and even without the reporting by Farrow and Mayer it would strain credulity that she's suddenly become one here. But too many believe whatever they choose, even if it makes little sense.

Best I could find in my records. Rockfish seems to be the best.

Nope. If candidate A has 3rd most 1st place votes (out of 3), they are eliminated and all the people who had them first now get their votes reassigned to their second choice.

There is a method some like called Condorcet (named after the mathematician that created it) where order matters. Basically each candidate goes head-to-head with every other candidate. So when it calculated A against B, all votes for C are only ranked for whichever A or B is higher. I know people who love Condorcet. Its problem is it is possible for A to beat B, B beat C, and C beat A.

But in Condorcet, strategic voting becomes possible.
That is the most fvcked up voting system I've ever heard of.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT