ADVERTISEMENT

Vitale

Listening to him talk last night, you can tell he’s really struggling after his health battles with the throat cancer! But who wouldn't struggle? With that said, I loved how he called the ending of the game last night! I think someone posted it in another thread.

He gives woodpeckers headaches. I listened to DF starting at the tip. Half your brain has to be visual and the other half tuned into audio. It's not nearly as challenging though as listening to DV.

Vitals has always been sensitive to coaches being fired. He took being fired from the Pistons very hard.
In his defense, his Coaching failure in Detroit was not all his fault. The franchise was an absolute mess at that point and made some horrible trade/draft decisions. that said, the IU program was a complete mess under CTC. Not just the lack of success, but the players were running a three ring circus off the court.

Said he thought that “IU acted too soon.”
Yea. CTc shit the bed the last season. If he woulda had the Hoosiers in the top 15 (Like they had the talent to be) and contended for another B1G title anda second weekend ncaa tournament stay, he shoulda stayed. Not how the season went south. With that talent? Nope... Crean blew through his oh shit better clean things up chance after the 2013-2014 season. Got things line back up positively and then once again, 16-17 was a turd after January. With that said, I respect the hell out of what DV has done for the college basketball game through his charites and hoorah etc. But I wish him the best to end the remainder of the season.

Yea. CTc shit the bed the last season. If he woulda had the Hoosiers in the top 15 (Like they had the talent to be) and contended for another B1G title anda second weekend ncaa tournament stay, he shoulda stayed. Not how the season went south. With that talent? Nope... Crean blew through his oh shit better clean things up chance after the 2013-2014 season. Got things line back up positively and then once again, 16-17 was a turd after January. With that said, I respect the hell out of what DV has done for the college basketball game through his charites and hoorah etc. But I wish him the best to end the remainder of the season.
Who was better over a four year period Coach Crean or Coach Miller? Why in the world would they get rid of Crean and bring in Miller who never beat PU or made the tourney?

Reactions: indy1203 and sku
Who was better over a four year period Coach Crean or Coach Miller? Why in the world would they get rid of Crean and bring in Miller who never beat PU or made the tourney?
Hindsight is 20/20. Not fair.
Crean had his chances. He shit the bed at the end. Not even talking about the off the court issues.

Crean's job at IU were to have 11-12, 12-13, 15-16 type seasons with one 14-15 mixed in every 6years. He coundnt accomplish it.

He’s an old man, let him be. They tend to say things that make no sense.

Was really cool watching the hall honor him.
It was nice that We honored Him and ESPN showed it. However, I was hoping that coming back from a timeout in the 2nd Half, ESPN would have shown a clip of the Ceremony for Don Fisher and a brief recognition. Vitale and the others on the Broadcast have known Him for years. It would have been nice to honor Him for something nobody may ever do again.

It was nice that We honored Him and ESPN showed it. However, I was hoping that coming back from a timeout in the 2nd Half, ESPN would have shown a clip of the Ceremony for Don Fisher and a brief recognition. Vitale and the others on the Broadcast have known Him for years. It would have been nice to honor Him for something nobody may ever do again.
If Don doesn’t get more roses than that when he is done I’ll be extremely disappointed. Another final 4 would surely help his legacy. Did he call any of the 70s? When did he start?

By many Miller was considered to be a young coach with a bright future. Some guys can take the next step and be successful and some just crumble — IU took a chance and it failed.

I was glad I was listing to the radio. They broadcast part of Fisch's talking on the floor... and the part the I heard was good.

Sure, after 9 years, most of them shitty or disappointing at best
When he got fired a friend actually called my wife and told her cause I was asleep, I was so happy later I had to take the next day off ..., that is how bad I wanted Crean gone

If Don doesn’t get more roses than that when he is done I’ll be extremely disappointed. Another final 4 would surely help his legacy. Did he call any of the 70s? When did he start?
I was born in 66. Fischer is the play-by-play voice of IU football and basketball I remember as a kid so he's been calling games since the early 1970s. Yes he called all of RMKs final fours.

You are right. But my question is would IU had been better with Crean over Miller ?
No. Both failed, both were justly fired. Being slightly less terrible than your successor ( and I would challenge that Crean was actually better than Miller) doesn't mean a person should have been retained.

You are right. But my question is would IU had been better with Crean over Miller ?
1) Crean could not get the job done and deserved to be fired
2) there was evidence that Miller was a young guy on the rise, with his success at Dayton
3) It turned out that Miller was just as bad, maybe even worse, and eventually deserved to get fired too

so yeah I guess Miller was not an improvement, in hindsight. But that just means Miller was the wrong hire, not that firing Crean before hiring him wasn't justified.

I remember the great fanfare about Archie Miller coming to IU from Dayton. Supposedly, Ohio State had him in mind as their next coach, and Fred Glass beat them to him. Then Ohio State grabbed Chris Holtmann from Butler. For awhile there, it looked like OSU got the better end of the deal, but now Holtmann has fell out of favor with the OSU crowd and they want Holtman fired. Everyone always second guessing.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I remember the great fanfare about Archie Miller coming to IU from Dayton. Supposedly, Ohio State had him in mind as their next coach, and Fred Glass beat them to him. Then Ohio State grabbed Chris Holtmann from Butler. For awhile there, it looked like OSU got the better end of the deal, but now Holtmann has fell out of favor with the OSU crowd and they want Holtman fired. Everyone always second guessing.
Yes the Miller hire was widely praised as the best or one of the best hires that year.

You just never know when you hire an up-and-comer if he is already at his ceiling.

2) there was evidence that Miller was a young guy on the rise, with his success at Dayton
3) It turned out that Miller was just as bad, maybe even worse, and eventually deserved to get fired too

so yeah I guess Miller was not an improvement, in hindsight. But that just means Miller was the wrong hire, not that firing Crean before hiring him wasn't justified.
AM was lauded as a fantastic hire by pundits everywhere. Glass had wanted to move earlier on crean so AM was the popular choice at the time.

Damn, doesn't it seem like forever since AM was here??

AM was lauded as a fantastic hire by pundits everywhere. Glass had wanted to move earlier on crean so AM was the popular choice at the time.

Damn, doesn't it seem like forever since AM was here??

i thought AM was a terrible hire, and said such.

the same with Samscum, the same with Crean.

i fought all their hires tooth and nail here.

i lobbied hard here every opening after Davis for Randy Wittman.

that said, CMW has a very similar resume to RW, and glad IU came to their senses after all the insanity.

if CMW doesn't succeed, so be it. but he and RW's resume' dwarfs those hired in the mean time.

Your third point answers my question. So IU fired a guy and then got worse. That is not a good thing. You never fire to get worse. I know people don't like Dan Dakich on here. But from the very beginning Dan said Miller couldn't coach at this level. He was right. Now to your point Crean deserved to be fired because he couldn't sustain success. It was IU who messed up hiring Calvin Samscum and then Miller. At least with Crean we did have some success ie tournament entries and B1G regular season Championships.

No. Both failed, both were justly fired. Being slightly less terrible than your successor ( and I would challenge that Crean was actually better than Miller) doesn't mean a person should have been retained.
As I said below I agree with this sentiment. Both were not good. My contention would be if Crean was better then you don't fire a guy to get worse which is what IU did.

Your third point answers my question. So IU fired a guy and then got worse. That is not a good thing. You never fire to get worse. I know people don't like Dan Dakich on here. But from the very beginning Dan said Miller couldn't coach at this level. He was right. Now to your point Crean deserved to be fired because he couldn't sustain success. It was IU who messed up hiring Calvin Samscum and then Miller. At least with Crean we did have some success ie tournament entries and B1G regular season Championships.

total and complete incompetent morons did the hiring from Samson through Miller, up until the total insanity ended with the hire of CMW.

idiocy beyond belief.

Wittman or Woodson should have been hired the next day after Davis resigned.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT