ADVERTISEMENT

Not too bad for washed up old man - Woody

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
What a dumb thing to post earlier in the conference season from one on here. I'm glad another loss happened today. Now please, lose out and get rid of this mess. Such a sad situation. Woody, if you say you're just here for these kids, then please, leave after end of season. We know you're in it for something else though.

What a dumb thing to post earlier in the conference season from one on here. I'm glad another loss happened today. Now please, lose out and get rid of this mess. Such a sad situation. Woody, if you say you're just here for these kids, then please, leave after end of season. We know you're in it for something else though.
It’s not the only absurd thread started around here this year. For some odd reason, I actually started one after a couple games that player by player this team was better than last years team.

My logic was:

Ware more talented than TJD
Reneau better than frosh Reneau
Mgbako better than Race
Gallo better than Gallo
X healthy
Kopp - anyone would be better
Bench had to be better - Walker, Sparks with experience. Banks and Gunn would obviously be improved

Can’t remember for sure, but thought the only question was who would replace JHS. He was pretty spotty though

I’ve tried to lay off hard drugs ever since.

It’s not the only absurd thread started around here this year. For some odd reason, I actually started one after a couple games that player by player this team was better than last years team.

My logic was:

Mgbako better than Race
Gallo better than Gallo
X healthy
Bench had to be better - Walker, Sparks with experience. Banks and Gunn would obviously be improved

Can’t remember for sure, but thought the only question was who would replace JHS. He was pretty spotty though

Yes Soph MR is better than FR MR … and nearly everyone else underperformed expectations. Perhaps we underappreciated Race and Miller.

Ware could still be more talented than TJD … but doesn’t have his fire and experience (yet) … his season average is just shy of a double-double (9.4 RPG). Hard to complain about a sophomore center with those stats.

X getting injured twice was this seasons wild card. Hard to say what would have happened.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

My logic was:

Mgbako better than Race
Gallo better than Gallo
X healthy

overall talent wise this team IS better. woody's managed to coach em down.

I was with you until this statement.
A consistently healthy X could have (not saying would have) been in a very different mental space. Missing last season, getting one more year on appeal, then getting hurt again, must have been a huge frustration. I think "hard to say what would have happened" is fair.

Reactions: bawlmer
It was actually "Good job washed up old grandpa"

The text read "spending his retirement coaching the college game he knows nothing about".

I posted that after the first OSU game which was maybe the best beginning to end performance of the year. That and Minnesota.

It was trolling. It made for some fun back and forth.

A consistently healthy X could have (not saying would have) been in a very different mental space. Missing last season, getting one more year on appeal, then getting hurt again, must have been a huge frustration. I think "hard to say what would have happened" is fair.
We were 3-5 this year in 8 conference games with X. I think it's easy to see what happened.

Add to that getting drilled by UConn and struggling with FGCU, Army and Wright State.

NO, WE ARE NOT BETTER WITH X. Can we please put this lame argument to bed?

It was actually "Good job washed up old grandpa"

The text read "spending his retirement coaching the college game he knows nothing about".

I posted that after the first OSU game which was maybe the best beginning to end performance of the year. That and Minnesota.

It was trolling. It made for some fun back and forth.
Yep!

My logic was:

Mgbako better than Race
Gallo better than Gallo
X healthy

I think one of the main things that has been overlooked on this year's team (especially compared to last year) is leadership. Who is leading this team? I think TJD's focus and determination last year is what lead the team. Nobody on this year's team has anything close. Leal? Sure, he's a senior but not even a starter. Gallo? Maybe, but there is way too much on that dudes shoulders and he's just not good enough. X? No chance, that guy seems to be long checked out after last year for some reason. There's no one else and it shows. This team has been lost from the beginning.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
We were 3-5 this year in 8 conference games with X. I think it's easy to see what happened.

Add to that getting drilled by UConn and struggling with FGCU, Army and Wright State.

You're probably right, X certainly has his track record on and off the court. But since we can't go back and re-play the season with a healthy X, we'll never know. That's all. I've had injuries, recovered, and then had them again. It's depressing and demotivating, and there's a tendency to push too hard to prove "you're back" when you get the chance.

But regardless, there's a lot more to critique with this team than can be explained by injuries or one player.

My early post was that we would probably lose most of the big December games which all, but Kansas got smoked. Probably the best game played that we managed to snatch a loss from the jaws of victory. I truly believed what I saw at that time was enough to have me thinking that we would jell and become a pretty good team in the Big Ten. Instead, the flaws have just continued to be even more evident, and the team is mentally and not proficient enough to overcome their weaknesses including leadership.

overall talent wise this team IS better. woody's managed to coach em down.
As a collective, maybe. But last year's team had two guys who could completely take over games, most notably, of course, TJD.

Reactions: Shuski
As a collective, maybe. But last year's team had two guys who could completely take over games, most notably, of course, TJD.
I don't agree that the talent of this year's team is better than last year. TJD erased even more mistakes than Ware and Jalen Hood was the difference maker that this team has nothing close. I don't think even good coaching would make this roster makeup that much better. Jalen Hood and TJD were the main reasons we made the tournament and beat PU twice. A lot of people did not like Miller, but he drove and shot pretty well the last half of the Big Ten. Race was a workhorse and would out rebound anybody on this year's team. Race was ten times better on defense than Renau. Thompson was also more physical than anybody on this year's team. Essentially, I agree with you, and this was directed towards the OP.

You actually left out Morehead St..
without their end game meltdown, we already have a losing record now rather than having to wait until after the Maryland game

Reactions: mohoosier
I don't agree that the talent of this year's team is better than last year. TJD erased even more mistakes than Ware and Jalen Hood was the difference maker that this team has nothing close. I don't think even good coaching would make this roster makeup that much better. Jalen Hood and TJD were the main reasons we made the tournament and beat PU twice. A lot of people did not like Miller, but he drove and shot pretty well the last half of the Big Ten. Race was a workhorse and would out rebound anybody on this year's team. Race was ten times better on defense than Renau. Thompson was also more physical than anybody on this year's team. Essentially, I agree with you, and this was directed towards the OP.
Our frontcourt Talent overall is better this year.
Difference is leadership and no JHS.

Reactions: Shuski
I think the “high” speed chase up N Walnut S at 2 AM might be the gremlin tampering with his mental fuselage.

• Haha
Reactions: WhyisIUBBcursed

My logic was:

Mgbako better than Race
Gallo better than Gallo
X healthy

Kopp deserves more credit than you give him. He was our best “three ball” player, albeit underutilized. He came across as a “good guy” of more light- hearted nature, someone with experience who keeps the players more loose in the locker room. Compare his personality to that of Ware’s, a man of few words lacking in on-court emotion. Who on this year’s team is the fun lover? Is anyone having fun? Where is the clapping of encouragement and “high fives” of enthusiasm's?

Kopp deserves more credit than you give him. He was our best “three ball” player, albeit underutilized. He came across as a “good guy” of more light- hearted nature, someone with experience who keeps the players more loose in the locker room. Compare his personality to that of Ware’s, a man of few words lacking in on-court emotion. Who on this year’s team is the fun lover? Is anyone having fun? Where is the clapping of encouragement and “high fives” of enthusiasm's?
Agreed, I think Kopp gets a really bad rap here. He was a good shooter who was misused here. He did what he was coached to do and never complained and was a good teammate and student it appears.

So great having a coach passing the buck. There is no accountability nothing will change.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Reactions: bsmitty08
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT