ADVERTISEMENT

Trump's new lawyer, Joseph E. diGenova

Well, so much for that:

President Trump has decided not to hire two lawyers who were announced last week as new additions to his legal team, leaving him with a shrinking stable of lawyers as the investigation by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, enters an intense phase.

“The president is disappointed that conflicts prevent Joe diGenova and Victoria Toensing from joining the president’s special counsel legal team,” Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer, Jay Sekulow, said in a statement on Sunday morning. “However, those conflicts do not prevent them from assisting the president in other legal matters. The president looks forward to working with them.”​

No worries, though:

Earlier on Sunday, Mr. Trump took to Twitter from his Florida resort to insist that he faced no problems finding lawyers to represent him in the Russia investigation.

“Fame & fortune will never be turned down by a lawyer, though some are conflicted,” Mr. Trump said in a tweet.

The president insisted that “many lawyers and top law firms want to represent me in the Russia case,” and that reports of flux on his team were a “Fake News narrative.” Adding new lawyers, he said, would be costly because they would take months “to get up to speed (if for no other reason than they can bill more).”​

“I am very happy with my existing team,” he added.
Right. Lawyers are standing in line for the opportunity to represent a guy who will embarrass and ignore them.

Reactions: RBB89
Well, so much for that:

President Trump has decided not to hire two lawyers who were announced last week as new additions to his legal team, leaving him with a shrinking stable of lawyers as the investigation by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, enters an intense phase.

“The president is disappointed that conflicts prevent Joe diGenova and Victoria Toensing from joining the president’s special counsel legal team,” Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer, Jay Sekulow, said in a statement on Sunday morning. “However, those conflicts do not prevent them from assisting the president in other legal matters. The president looks forward to working with them.”​

No worries, though:

Earlier on Sunday, Mr. Trump took to Twitter from his Florida resort to insist that he faced no problems finding lawyers to represent him in the Russia investigation.

“Fame & fortune will never be turned down by a lawyer, though some are conflicted,” Mr. Trump said in a tweet.

The president insisted that “many lawyers and top law firms want to represent me in the Russia case,” and that reports of flux on his team were a “Fake News narrative.” Adding new lawyers, he said, would be costly because they would take months “to get up to speed (if for no other reason than they can bill more).”​

“I am very happy with my existing team,” he added.
Right. Lawyers are standing in line for the opportunity to represent a guy who will embarrass and ignore them.

Plus, after writing “Fame & fortune will never be turned down by a lawyer'', what self-respecting lawyer would want to work for him now?
Seriously, how can someone this dumb get as far as he has?

Am I that capable of doing a satirical dream?

Plus, after writing “Fame & fortune will never be turned down by a lawyer'', what self-respecting lawyer would want to work for him now?
Seriously, how can someone this dumb get as far as he has?

Am I that capable of doing a satirical dream?
Yes. He's prospectively insulted the integrity of anyone who might now represent him. Then he'll make a fool of anyone who does. And stiff them on the bill. Undoubtedly the best and the brightest are lining up for this opportunity of a lifetime. #allthebestpeople

Reactions: sglowrider
Left at the altar again:

A prominent Chicago defense attorney said Monday that he had declined an invitation to lead President Trump’s legal team responding to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s Russia investigation, underscoring the president’s difficulty in attracting top legal talent to represent him in the probe.

Dan K. Webb, a Republican, is a former U.S. attorney for Illinois and a corporate and white-collar-defense lawyer for the firm Winston and Strawn.

In a statement, his firm said the president and his team recently reached out to Webb and D.C.-based partner Tom Buchanan.

“They were unable to take on the representation due to business conflicts. However they consider the opportunity to represent the President to be the highest honor and they sincerely regret that they cannot do so,” the firm said. “They wish the president the best and believe he has excellent representation in Ty Cobb and Jay Sekulow,” referring to the two lawyers now handling Trump’s defense.
It's notable that Winston & Strawn cited "business conflicts" to decline the representation. That specifically doesn't mean "ethical conflicts". W&S could ethically have undertaken the representation, but declined to do so because it would have been bad for business. Ouch.

Notwithstanding Trump's Twitter claims, he's absolutely trying to beef up his legal team. He's failing (so far), because he's possibly the world's shittiest client.

Left at the altar again:

A prominent Chicago defense attorney said Monday that he had declined an invitation to lead President Trump’s legal team responding to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s Russia investigation, underscoring the president’s difficulty in attracting top legal talent to represent him in the probe.

Dan K. Webb, a Republican, is a former U.S. attorney for Illinois and a corporate and white-collar-defense lawyer for the firm Winston and Strawn.

In a statement, his firm said the president and his team recently reached out to Webb and D.C.-based partner Tom Buchanan.

“They were unable to take on the representation due to business conflicts. However they consider the opportunity to represent the President to be the highest honor and they sincerely regret that they cannot do so,” the firm said. “They wish the president the best and believe he has excellent representation in Ty Cobb and Jay Sekulow,” referring to the two lawyers now handling Trump’s defense.
It's notable that Winston & Strawn cited "business conflicts" to decline the representation. That specifically doesn't mean "ethical conflicts". W&S could ethically have undertaken the representation, but declined to do so because it would have been bad for business. Ouch.

Notwithstanding Trump's Twitter claims, he's absolutely trying to beef up his legal team. He's failing (so far), because he's possibly the world's shittiest client.

Character is destiny.

Exclusive: Spurned by top lawyers, Trump's defense elevates Washington outsider
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...se-elevates-washington-outsider-idUSKBN1H409J

A little-known former prosecutor with a doctorate in medieval history will play a central role on U.S. President Donald Trump’s legal team, as many top-tier lawyers shy away from representing him in a probe into Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election.

Ekonomou is a member of The Lambros Firm LLC, a boutique firm in Atlanta, which mostly handles civil and criminal racketeering cases for D.A.s around the state.
In the late 1970s and early ‘80s, Ekonomou spent several years in the U.S. Attorney’s office in Atlanta, where he was chief of the office’s criminal division and briefly served as acting U.S. attorney in 1982.

Following what he called a “mid-life crisis,” Ekonomou said he went back to school and got his doctorate in medieval history at Emory University in 2000. Ekonomou said he is the author of a book on Byzantine Rome and the Greek popes.

Aint no Ted Olson is my best guess.

At this point, I am starting to feel sorry for the man..... until the next time he tweets or shows his face on TV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT