ADVERTISEMENT

Trump's new lawyer, Joseph E. diGenova

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/...smid=pl-share&referer=https://t.co/vHsyOOf5c4

President Trump hired the longtime Washington lawyer Joseph E. diGenova on Monday, adding an aggressive voice to his legal team who has pushed the theory on television that the F.B.I. and Justice Department framed Mr. Trump.
Mr. diGenova, a former United States attorney, is not expected to take a lead role. But he will serve as an outspoken player for the president as Mr. Trump has increased his attacks on the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III.

Mr. diGenova has endorsed the notion that a secretive group of F.B.I. agents concocted the Russia investigation as a way to keep Mr. Trump from becoming president. “There was a brazen plot to illegally exonerate Hillary Clinton and, if she didn’t win the election, to then frame Donald Trump with a falsely created crime,” he said on Fox News in January. He added, “Make no mistake about it: A group of F.B.I. and D.O.J. people were trying to frame Donald Trump of a falsely created crime.”
Little evidence has emerged to support that theory.

diGenova is a perfect pick for Trump. Although he used to be a lawyer, now he mostly just plays one on TV, but he is a certified lunatic.This is the legal equivalent of appointing Larry Kudlow as your chief economist.

diGenova is a perfect pick for Trump. Although he used to be a lawyer, now he mostly just plays one on TV, but he is a certified lunatic.This is the legal equivalent of appointing Larry Kudlow as your chief economist.

That's why I brought this up -- he likes people who are comfortable on TV and in this case, exclusively from Fox.
He must have read somewhere that there is a large group of people who look at the TV as a source of information still -- rather than infotainment ie the days of Walter Cronkite where what he says out of the TV is gospel. The TV has moved on but Trump hasnt.

Trump's purely playing purely to his base with this move -- them listening to people they already know and comfortable with. He will certainly push the idea of a conspiracy within the DOJ/FBI on trying to oust Trump out of the WH.

Judge Jeanine next for Session's job or Supreme Court Justice.

Reactions: Rockfish1

Not surprising - especially after last Friday's walk back, which was probably Trump's doing. Made Dowd look like a fool.

Trump is clearly moving from normal lawyers to conspiratorial hucksters -- more Reality TV political drama going forward.

Life imitating art.

fasten%2Byour%2Bseatbelts.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
Why Trump added a streetfighter to his legal team
https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-...eup-f75e9717-6ba1-4335-b539-32975a44ae36.html

(
1) The White House is digging in for a fight that looks to be longer and messier than officials had expected.
(2) This is another example of the president responding to televised cues. Trump has spent most of his adult life in litigation and obsesses about legal positioning in the same way that he is consumed by his press coverage.
(3) It's another pugilistic voice at the table and suggests that this weekend's attacks on Mueller won't be the last.

We know the line-up and there of the Trump Reality Show now. Hyper-drama

Nasty-rude.gif

Why Trump added a streetfighter to his legal team
https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-...eup-f75e9717-6ba1-4335-b539-32975a44ae36.html

(
1) The White House is digging in for a fight that looks to be longer and messier than officials had expected.
(2) This is another example of the president responding to televised cues. Trump has spent most of his adult life in litigation and obsesses about legal positioning in the same way that he is consumed by his press coverage.
(3) It's another pugilistic voice at the table and suggests that this weekend's attacks on Mueller won't be the last.

We know the line-up and there of the Trump Reality Show now. Hyper-drama

Nasty-rude.gif
Trump is shifting from being a president to hiring Yes Men stooges.

Reactions: sglowrider

DiGenova is married to his law partner, Victoria Toensing, who also has a long history of involvement in highly partisan conservative issues. She's a 1962 IU grad, in education.

Interestingly, she's from Columbus, Indiana . . . nee Victoria Long. GrannySope says that Toensing's father developed Grandview Lake, an upscale lake development southwest of Columbus.

That doesn't seem to be what's actually being reported. Rather, they met yesterday, but nothing's official yet, partly because they aren't sure diGenova and his wife can get around possible conflicts of interest with other clients.
There's some ass covering and backtracking going on too, it seems:

The Thursday meeting was the first time the husband-and-wife legal team met with the President since the Monday announcement. One source said that while Trump liked their message, the President is not convinced they are right for the legal jobs.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/23/politics/digenova-role-trump-legal-team/index.html

That doesn't seem to be what's actually being reported. Rather, they met yesterday, but nothing's official yet, partly because they aren't sure diGenova and his wife can get around possible conflicts of interest with other clients.
Toensing and diGenova aren't real lawyers any more. They're over-the-hill TV lawyers. But to represent Trump as lawyers they still have to clear conflicts. Perhaps they've forgotten that this is a thing you must do before announcing the existence of an attorney-client relationship with a new client. This looks like amateur hour to me.

There's so much I don't understand about all this. Mueller is a pro, and he's got a murderer's row of prosecutors and FBI agents working for him. This is a badass team that would terrify me, and I don't understand how Trump could plan to fight them off with aging TV personalities. Maybe he assumes that the lawyering is irrelevant, and it's all just a PR game. Given the decrepitude of the modern GOP, maybe he's right.

It's puzzling. But if I were trying to stare down the Mueller A Team, I wouldn't be hiring such silly people to represent me -- particularly if I were a billionaire. Fine, I couldn't hire my own A Team because I'm a notoriously bad client, but with my money I could hire squads of solid B or C level lawyers who would actually bust their asses on the work. Some of them could probably speak in complete sentences when interviewed on Fox.

Maybe -- and I'm going out on a limb here -- but maybe the problem is that President Dunning-Kruger is as incompetent to hire lawyers as he is to do everything else.

...I don't understand how Trump could plan to fight them off with aging TV personalities. Maybe he assumes that the lawyering is irrelevant, and it's all just a PR game.
That's his core competency. It's all PR, all reality TV, all media manipulation, all the time. It's the only thing he really knows.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, you're going to treat everything like a nail.

Edit to add: Rachel says they have an office pool going, and that her choice for what he's going to do to distract from the 60 Minutes interview with Stormy is to pardon Mike Flynn. She figures he'll do it some time Sunday afternoon.

Toensing and diGenova aren't real lawyers any more. They're over-the-hill TV lawyers. But to represent Trump as lawyers they still have to clear conflicts. Perhaps they've forgotten that this is a thing you must do before announcing the existence of an attorney-client relationship with a new client. This looks like amateur hour to me.

There's so much I don't understand about all this. Mueller is a pro, and he's got a murderer's row of prosecutors and FBI agents working for him. This is a badass team that would terrify me, and I don't understand how Trump could plan to fight them off with aging TV personalities. Maybe he assumes that the lawyering is irrelevant, and it's all just a PR game. Given the decrepitude of the modern GOP, maybe he's right.

It's puzzling. But if I were trying to stare down the Mueller A Team, I wouldn't be hiring such silly people to represent me -- particularly if I were a billionaire. Fine, I couldn't hire my own A Team because I'm a notoriously bad client, but with my money I could hire squads of solid B or C level lawyers who would actually bust their asses on the work. Some of them could probably speak in complete sentences when interviewed on Fox.

Maybe -- and I'm going out on a limb here -- but maybe the problem is that President Dunning-Kruger is as incompetent to hire lawyers as he is to do everything else.
What bothers me if they have a case bring it. If the left is right about their allegations then get on with it. We are getting well into year two and the mid term elections are right around the corner. Where is the Damn case?

What bothers me if they have a case bring it. If the left is right about their allegations then get on with it. We are getting well into year two and the mid term elections are right around the corner. Where is the Damn case?
Mueller was appointed May 17, 2017. It just seems like it was two years ago.

Reactions: RBB89
Watergate took more than two years to unfold and we aren't even to year one.

You're impatient because (notwithstanding silly claims that Mueller leaks like a sieve) Mueller hasn't told us what he's got. And as the folks at Lawfare point out, it's unclear what he'll ultimately tell us. Whatever you may perceive "the left" to be claiming, I've been pretty careful to emphasize that we don't yet know what the facts are, and we'll have to wait until (I hope) we learn what the facts are.

If Trump and his people are all clean, though, they've been putting on Academy Award winning performances as people with guilty secrets. And presumably something other than a homoerotic bromance explains why Trump behaves like Putin's poodle. I hope we get the basic facts before the chore falls to historians.

This is precisely the reason why a lot of white folks think the Chinese are great at math. Apparently, this is complex math for some.
You're impatient because (notwithstanding silly claims that Mueller leaks like a sieve) Mueller hasn't told us what he's got. And as the folks at Lawfare point out, it's unclear what he'll ultimately tell us. Whatever you may perceive "the left" to be claiming, I've been pretty careful to emphasize that we don't yet know what the facts are, and we'll have to wait until (I hope) we learn what the facts are.

If Trump and his people are all clean, though, they've been putting on Academy Award winning performances as people with guilty secrets. And presumably something other than a homoerotic bromance explains why Trump behaves like Putin's poodle. I hope we get the basic facts before the chore falls to historians.
I would expect this is a slam dunk. The truth my be that that Assange hacked the Hillary illegal servers and gave the info to the Russians and they used it to target Facebook. The real story is how Trump mixed political clout for monetary gain.

It appears that Digenova and Toensing have clients with connections to other parts of Mueller's investigation:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/03/23/politics/digenova-role-trump-legal-team/index.html

I would expect this is a slam dunk. The truth my be that that Assange hacked the Hillary illegal servers and gave the info to the Russians and they used it to target Facebook. The real story is how Trump mixed political clout for monetary gain.
No, the truth is that the Russians did the hacking and gave the emails to Assange. This isn't something anyone should be confused about at this point: Putin helped Trump win.

This probe is moving very quickly according to only metric available to the public - number of indictments and pleas - so even if you are right, there's really no reason to be whining about it not going faster.
So the stone walling is so good that Muller is having trouble? Not with clown show of an administration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT