ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Covid adviser Scott Atlas pushes herd immunity

Responsibility? Cuomo and Newsome, et al, are gambling on a Biden win and a big payday from Nancy when the election is over.

Stopping cases is a fools errand. It is estimated that well over 50% of the Japanese population has been infected. Name a group more disciplined where masks and distancing is concerned? The answer is continuing to improve treatments and mitigation for the highly identifiable high-risk populations.
Where are you getting that 50% of the Japanese population has been infected? The World Health organization says 95,000 total cases so far.

Where are you getting that 50% of the Japanese population has been infected? The World Health organization says 95,000 total cases so far.

I've seen this discussed elsewhere, too

I've seen this discussed elsewhere, too
Curious but I did see where people who have Neanderthal DNA may be more susceptible to Covid-19 which would indicate people of European origin; however, Africans have no Neanderthal DNA and they have been hit hard with it. So once again a lot of questions with the Covid-19 but I think the Worldmeter is a pretty good reference site.

What if it takes a year for a vaccine? How long do we continue to disrupt education? I have 2 kids at a very reputable ACC school & higher education is a joke right now. Maybe it’s ok for those wanting an online degree from the U of Phoenix or the local tech school , but a reputable 4 year university?? It’s a f—-ing joke
I feel for you on this one. One big reason that I advocated early on that schools not reopen and that all the kids take a gap year. It was a totally implausible position, but would have slowed the spread and allowed the kids to get a real education in the future.

I feel for you on this one. One big reason that I advocated early on that schools not reopen and that all the kids take a gap year. It was a totally implausible position, but would have slowed the spread and allowed the kids to get a real education in the future.

I am curious what has changed? Most professors I had would teach from a plan they had put together long before. In these modern times I am sure they inserted a PowerPoint presentation into lectures. How much different is it to look at a PowerPoint presentation in person from online?

Now labs, they get trickier. But the labs at IU are in person.

I take my Microsoft certification courses through the same vendor. Some I go to just because I want to go to Indy, but sometimes I do them online. I honestly do not notice a difference.

Now for little kids, I think there might be a difference just in ability to focus online vs in a classroom. On the other hand, when I was 8 and had my best friends sitting next to me there was no focus so computer might have been better.

I am curious what has changed? Most professors I had would teach from a plan they had put together long before. In these modern times I am sure they inserted a PowerPoint presentation into lectures. How much different is it to look at a PowerPoint presentation in person from online?
101 level survey courses are one thing. But I was past most of those after my freshman year. I just can't imagine getting nearly as much out of the 200-300 level history and poly sci and psych courses I took via some kind of Zoom meeting in my home. In those, it was all about the back and forth and give and take. Regurgitating course content wasn't the emphasis.

101 level survey courses are one thing. But I was past most of those after my freshman year. I just can't imagine getting nearly as much out of the 200-300 level history and poly sci and psych courses I took via some kind of Zoom meeting in my home. In those, it was all about the back and forth and give and take. Regurgitating course content wasn't the emphasis.

I think you can still do that, I know some people setting up rooms to break the class down to smaller groups. So a 20 person class might have 2 10-person discussions in an effort to foster even more back and forth.

The big fear has been the recording. There is a concern that people knowing they are being recorded may not make the same controversial statement. So some classes are not recording because of that. But that limits the faculty from going back to really review the comments.

The big fear has been the recording. There is a concern that people knowing they are being recorded may not make the same controversial statement. So some classes are not recording because of that. But that limits the faculty from going back to really review the comments.
Interesting. I hadn't even considered that they'd be recording the classes. My initial reaction is that I wouldn't like that either, either as a student or an instructor.

Interesting. I hadn't even considered that they'd be recording the classes. My initial reaction is that I wouldn't like that either, either as a student or an instructor.

The issue with remote learning is time zones. If someone could not get back to the states from Korea or Germany, they may find it high to be in the class remotely at the scheduled time. Even kids in the US that elected not to cone to town (it is much cheaper to live at home) may have issues.

Most faculty that deal with more contentious issues either did them in person, or shut off the recording during q and a to try and help people feel comfortable speaking up.

You aren't one of those people that actually spoke up in class are you? That is just unAmerican.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT