ADVERTISEMENT

Three things to know about Evan Fitzner

He alone should help improve IU's 3 point %. Not only with his own shooting but also by spreading the floor and giving others easier shots.

Reactions: echs86
I am interested to see what he could do in 20 - 25 minutes per game.

I only see him getting around 15 minutes a game. Max Bielfeldt only got 17.5 a game in a season where we were even thinner in the front court. I hope Fitzner can be as good a grad transfer as Max, but that's asking a lot.

If two's are good. And three's are better..
I could see him giving us. As much as Max .Possibly more.
He can stroke it. Has a high release.

Max Bielfeldt shot over 45% from three in his one season with the Hoosiers and he made more threes that season than Fitzner did last year. But I hope you're right. But I also hope that Davis takes a big step and that the freshmen big men can compete for playing time, and not all of those can happen.

I only see him getting around 15 minutes a game. Max Bielfeldt only got 17.5 a game in a season where we were even thinner in the front court. I hope Fitzner can be as good a grad transfer as Max, but that's asking a lot.
His minutes will depend on how much Davis can play and when, and if anyone else is ready to share those minutes.

It remains to be seen how he defends the post and if he has an inside game to go with his 3 point shooting.

It remains to be seen how he defends the post and if he has an inside game to go with his 3 point shooting.
No it doesn't. He's already played three seasons. The answers are: good enough, and yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike41703
No it doesn't. He's already played three seasons. The answers are: good enough, and yes.
I don't think Archie would have brought him in if he couldn't defend. I am just cautious about transfers and freshmen until they actually play. I'm not worried about his shooting.

I have had images of Evan being on the court with Davis and Morgan. I have seen practice clips of him shooting the deep corner 3. I hope the pack line is his friend and we can use his length and 40+% 3 point shooting even if Davis is healthy

I see Fitzner starting with Davis out and the Freshmen and Soph big men still learning. I think Race and Jake will play at the Center position also.

I bet race starts with fitz. We will play two wings, a point guard, with 2 forwards. We will spread the floor and drive a lot. One wing will be a point forward type that can also handle the ball. Hmmm wonder that will be.

I bet race starts with fitz. We will play two wings, a point guard, with 2 forwards. We will spread the floor and drive a lot. One wing will be a point forward type that can also handle the ball. Hmmm wonder that will be.
I think Romeo will have the ball in his hands a lot to drive, dish, and shoot. Damezi and Hunter can also play some point forward. Romeo and Damezi can shoot the 3 and midrange jumper well.

Reactions: GregHaggard
C Fitzner
PF Smith
SF Morgan
SG Romeo
PG Green/Durham to start with

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I don't have any reason to expect Race will start. There are a lot of possible lineups, but Race starting would mean Smith or Fitzner isn't. I hope Race is that good.

I don't have any reason to expect Race will start. There are a lot of possible lineups, but Race starting would mean Smith or Fitzner isn't. I hope Race is that good.
I think Fitz is more of a stretch 4. ( he’s closer to a 3) His game is not geared towards the post. We got him for his shooting ability. That’s why I think race will get starts.

I think Fitz is more of a stretch 4. ( he’s closer to a 3) His game is not geared towards the post. We got him for his shooting ability. That’s why I think race will get starts.

And you would be very wrong. A 6'10 slow footed 3? lmao ..

Just because the guy can shoot threes doesn't mean he's not a post and it sure in the fk doesn't mean he can play or should or even ever be mentioned as a 3. You are what you guard, and Fitz will guard the opposing post player and it won't be the 4, and it sure in the fk won't be a 3.

He's an interior player, that can stretch the floor. "closer to a 3" ... that's funny.

Welcome the the 21st century, basketball has changed a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: ufo33 and mike41703

Just because the guy can shoot threes doesn't mean he's not a post and it sure in the fk doesn't mean he can play or should or even ever be mentioned as a 3. You are what you guard, and Fitz will guard the opposing post player and it won't be the 4, and it sure in the fk won't be a 3.

He's an interior player, that can stretch the floor. "closer to a 3" ... that's funny.

Opinions vary. Look at his highlights. He’s really not a traditional post player. Not a banger at all. I could be wrong but from what I’ve seen he’s looking for a 3 every possession. Saw it at Hoosier Hysteria. Saw it at St. Mary’s. (Video only) I’m just not sold he’s going to be starting at center.

Also I thought about the defensive side of the ball. You would be correct on not guarding a 3. He will most certainly be guarding a 4. That does not mean he won’t play more like a 3. He’s pretty much a shooter who can play the post a little bit.

Sounds like his minutes decreased over time at St. Mary's. Anyone have insight into why that was?

Fitzner will have a lot of competition. Fitzner will probably start the year as a starter, but once Davis is healthy and the freshmen get some experience it could be anyone's spot to win.

Without seeing him play a game this year, I would initially compare him to Haston. I don't expect him to have the impact Haston did, but the shooting ability at that size reminds me of him.

I expect he will face the basket at times on offense, but he will also have to play inside and defend a 4 or 5. Most college players at the 3 are smaller and quicker. Archie will have better options to defend wing players.

Without seeing him play a game this year, I would initially compare him to Haston. I don't expect him to have the impact Haston did, but the shooting ability at that size reminds me of him.

I expect he will face the basket at times on offense, but he will also have to play inside and defend a 4 or 5. Most college players at the 3 are smaller and quicker. Archie will have better options to defend wing players.

It was not unusual for Haston to play with his back to the basket and shoot hook shots. I think Fitz will play a game more similar to someone like Ben Allen.

Ben Allen is someone I was thinking of when contemplating the role Fitzner will have on the team this year.

This team has two big time scorers and I look for Smith to be the third option and have a big year this year. His job will be to make them when he’s open which will spread the floor. He won’t be asked to shoot a lot of shots but his presence will be felt when he’s on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT