ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article in IndyStar about meeting btw Allen and players after the season ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS01

All-Big Ten
Aug 31, 2001
I will link the story, but it is behind a paywall. Some of the highlight:

The team leaders and captains asked to meet with Allen the day after the PU game. “They wanted to discuss what went wrong and bring to light some things they weren’t sure he’d seen or noticed, and they wanted to make sure that what happened in 2021 would never happen again.”

“Allen and players involved described the meeting as an unsparing, respectful but heated discussion in which both sides challenged the other to look in the the mirror and soul search.”

“There obviously was a problem,” (Cam) Jones said. “We wanted to fix the problem as fast as we could. We knew there was going to be an uncomfortable conversation, but a conversation that we needed to have. During that conversation, we talked about what we wanted to see changed.”
What they wanted was more accountability, particularly at practice, because they saw teammates lose their fire and didn’t see enough done about it.

“It was more overall like I said, a sense of accountability,” McFadden said. “It think all of us wanted to talk about that. There were definitely a few more things we talked about. It was just that feeling that guys were giving up and it was OK. And we were all pretty uncomfortable with that being the case.”

“I wanted names,” Allen said. “I wanted to know who they thought wasn’t all in. I wanted the honest truth about everything

Allen said. “If you don’t tell people the truth, you don’t get to the core of what you want done. It’s always the little stuff, little subtle things. There was something that happened, I won’t share it with you, but it was the summer before. It was just a little thing, but it caused me to have a little bit of a pause then, and it showed that something what it wasn’t needed to be. Minor things that when things go wrong, they get a little bigger. That crack in the foundation can grow over time and get a little bit bigger.”

Tuttle and Cam Jones put together a presentation for a players-only meeting and Tuttle was put in charge of making sure workouts operated at a high level and Jones was put in charge of off-field issues.

Here’s the link

Tuttle and Cam Jones put together a presentation for a players-only meeting and Tuttle was put in charge of making sure workouts operated at a high level and Jones was put in charge of off-field issues.

Here’s the link
I loved watching C4 last season. I think he was overshadowed by Micah (not without reason). He seems like a really good kid. But watching how violently he hits on the field, I would not want to be on his bad side off of it.

I will link the story, but it is behind a paywall. Some of the highlight:

The team leaders and captains asked to meet with Allen the day after the PU game. “They wanted to discuss what went wrong and bring to light some things they weren’t sure he’d seen or noticed, and they wanted to make sure that what happened in 2021 would never happen again.”

“Allen and players involved described the meeting as an unsparing, respectful but heated discussion in which both sides challenged the other to look in the the mirror and soul search.”

“There obviously was a problem,” (Cam) Jones said. “We wanted to fix the problem as fast as we could. We knew there was going to be an uncomfortable conversation, but a conversation that we needed to have. During that conversation, we talked about what we wanted to see changed.”
What they wanted was more accountability, particularly at practice, because they saw teammates lose their fire and didn’t see enough done about it.

“It was more overall like I said, a sense of accountability,” McFadden said. “It think all of us wanted to talk about that. There were definitely a few more things we talked about. It was just that feeling that guys were giving up and it was OK. And we were all pretty uncomfortable with that being the case.”

“I wanted names,” Allen said. “I wanted to know who they thought wasn’t all in. I wanted the honest truth about everything

Allen said. “If you don’t tell people the truth, you don’t get to the core of what you want done. It’s always the little stuff, little subtle things. There was something that happened, I won’t share it with you, but it was the summer before. It was just a little thing, but it caused me to have a little bit of a pause then, and it showed that something what it wasn’t needed to be. Minor things that when things go wrong, they get a little bigger. That crack in the foundation can grow over time and get a little bit bigger.”

Here’s the link
That's the Best news I've heard about INDIANA Football this year...!

Now we'll soon get to see if it was all just talk or if the players themselves have taken it upon themselves to change things for the better... Looks like the coaching side of things has already been addressed...

I believe that the 2021 season was lost during last summer when our guys clearly rested on their laurels and didn't put in the work necessary to win in the Big Ten...

Let's hope this years TEAM has taken last seasons embarrassing lesson to heart and they are putting the work in now, when no one is watching, so they'll be able to have everyone see the payoff this Fall...

At minimum, that meeting was a great start...

Last edited:
This helps explain a number of players and a couple of coaches no longer here.

Inflection Point
I was wondering what the catalyst was for so many players going into the portal, now we know. I suspect that the guys Allen was told were not "all in" had some tough conversations and, as a result, either stayed with a new committment or were encouraged to leave. Hopefully the guys brought in via the portal have that committment.

I was wondering what the catalyst was for so many players going into the portal, now we know. I suspect that the guys Allen was told were not "all in" had some tough conversations and, as a result, either stayed with a new committment or were encouraged to leave. Hopefully the guys brought in via the portal have that committment.
Unlike some I will not pretend to know specific transactions, but you can’t go through a reversal like that one followed by a summit like this one and not link them to a housecleaning like we all saw.

It really worked both ways. There were departures for those who weren’t perceived as being on board with things and by those who didn’t believe there was enough of a culture of winning within the program. Allen’s reaction of not realizing there were problems and not knowing which players weren’t on board is something that was rumored some time ago. Interesting that he acknowledged he was sort of oblivious to it, but it was evident on the sidelines at several games, so you had to know practices and prep mirrored that. Hope they can get a fresh start.

T
It really worked both ways. There were departures for those who weren’t perceived as being on board with things and by those who didn’t believe there was enough of a culture of winning within the program. Allen’s reaction of not realizing there were problems and not knowing which players weren’t on board is something that was rumored some time ago. Interesting that he acknowledged he was sort of oblivious to it, but it was evident on the sidelines at several games, so you had to know practices and prep mirrored that. Hope they can get a fresh start.
There were videos they put out last year during camp that were fun/funny. Like asking guys which teammate they’d want to be stranded on an island with or who they’d let date their sister. They were enjoyable, IMO. But I remember commenting about it that there’s a fine line between “feel good, play good” and not taking things serious enough. Apparently it was the latter.

T

There were videos they put out last year during camp that were fun/funny. Like asking guys which teammate they’d want to be stranded on an island with or who they’d let date their sister. They were enjoyable, IMO. But I remember commenting about it that there’s a fine line between “feel good, play good” and not taking things serious enough. Apparently it was the latter.
We wouldn’t be the first team to get a little full of ourselves. Hope we get it back on track.

and by those who didn’t believe there was enough of a culture of winning within the program.
Curious for the names of these players? Who transferred out of IU because there wasn't "enough of a culture of winning within the program"? Seems like nearly everyone that transferred out, transferred down or to lesser programs.

You can make a case that Reese Taylor transferring to Purdue may fall under this category, but Purdue was 4-8 and 2-4 the previous two years prior before their breakout year, and I would hardly categorize Purdue as a "winning culture" especially the last decade. We'll never know, and I know you won't, but guessing Taylor transferred for a more prominent role in the secondary. With a healthy Mullen coming back as well as Jaylin Williams, Taylor wasn't going to be a starter.

Curious for the names of these players? Who transferred out of IU because there wasn't "enough of a culture of winning within the program"? Seems like nearly everyone that transferred out, transferred down or to lesser programs.

You can make a case that Reese Taylor transferring to Purdue may fall under this category, but Purdue was 4-8 and 2-4 the previous two years prior before their breakout year, and I would hardly categorize Purdue as a "winning culture" especially the last decade. We'll never know, and I know you won't, but guessing Taylor transferred for a more prominent role in the secondary. With a healthy Mullen coming back as well as Jaylin Williams, Taylor wasn't going to be a starter.
You think Reese Taylor transferred for a more prominent role in their defense? Lol I think you’ve been “dooped”.

That's 100% correct.

Over the last 3 seasons at corner:

Reese Taylor: 28 games played/9 starts
Jaylin Williams: 31 games played/21 starts
Tiawan Mullen: 27 games played/20 starts

Again remind me which of the three wasn't the regular starter?
You’ve been “dooped“.

Doing quite well actually.

Just glad to have you back.
You seem really, really angry. Why is that? Beyond that, I don’t know who you are other than someone who’s here to troll, but I’m sure you’ll continue to do that no matter what I say.

Now I realize the crowd you run with . . . pass. I’ll let you be uninformed all by yourself. But please stay there. By the way, you seem really angry.
Also still waiting on a response how a guy with 9 career starts over a 3 year period can be inferred as a regular starter?

Especially when two other corners have 20+ stars each in the same time frame.

I'll wait.

Sorry for your anger. But you have no idea why RT transferred. None.
Of course I don't, I speculated that it was for a more prominent role in the secondary as IU has two corners returning who have started 20+ games the last 3 years , compared to Taylor's 9.

You have still yet to:

a) provide the names of player who have transferred because there wasn't "enough of a culture of winning within the program"?

b) how Reese Taylor was a regular starter despite only starting 9 games in a 3 year span.

Now think about it and give us your best Ordy sit and spin response.

It's alarming, frustrating, and very worrisome that CTA wasn't aware of guys dogging it. Can't actually imagine how that's possible. If true, he might really be in over his head. To me, that's job #1 as the HC. And if he brought in position coaches that allow it to happen, that's even more damaging. This season is bigger than ever in determining his tenure.

It really worked both ways. There were departures for those who weren’t perceived as being on board with things and by those who didn’t believe there was enough of a culture of winning within the program
Throwing a comment like that out there is pretty reckless. Unless you can back it up with a credible source, that's an irresponsible statement to make.

Of course I don't, I speculated that it was for a more prominent role in the secondary as IU has two corners returning who have started 20+ games the last 3 years , compared to Taylor's 9.

You have still yet to:

a) provide the names of player who have transferred because there wasn't "enough of a culture of winning within the program"?

b) how Reese Taylor was a regular starter despite only starting 9 games in a 3 year span.

Now think about it and give us your best Ordy sit and spin response.
No. Sorry you’re so angry. Hope you get things straightened out. By the way, where were you a coach?

It's alarming, frustrating, and very worrisome that CTA wasn't aware of guys dogging it. Can't actually imagine how that's possible. If true, he might really be in over his head. To me, that's job #1 as the HC. And if he brought in position coaches that allow it to happen, that's even more damaging. This season is bigger than ever in determining his tenure.
you're spot on. he should have cleaned house mid season. the fact that he allowed that to continue is very worrisome.

There it is!!!

Typically Ordy dodge after getting caught with his hands in his pants.

Never.Effing.Change
No, I’m just not telling you how you know, and it really doesn’t matter how angry you get because of it. By the way, where did you coach? You did coach, right?

No, I’m just not telling you how you know, and it really doesn’t matter how angry you get because of it. By the way, where did you coach? You did coach, right?

Where I coached is irrelevant to your current task at hand, and that’s two validate your two ridiculous claims you’ve made in this thread (don’t worry nobody is holding their breath).

I’ve been around long enough to know how you operate and we’re on the verge of witnessing full blown Ordy troll mode.

Where I coached is irrelevant to your current task at hand, and that’s two validate your two ridiculous claims you’ve made in this thread (don’t worry nobody is holding their breath).

I’ve been around long enough to know how you operate and we’re on the verge of witnessing full blown Ordy troll mode.
“Two validate”? Uh huh. So, where’d you coach, Coach? And why are you angrily trolling this afternoon?

If we were to decide to stop sniping at each other and think about this issue, it does seem to fall on CTA.
How could he be unaware?
Why were any involved position coaches not brought in for discussions?
I never played or coached, but it seems these issues would likely be evident throughout a season.

Throwing a comment like that out there is pretty reckless. Unless you can back it up with a credible source, that's an irresponsible statement to make.
I think the guys who brought these issues to Coach Allen’s attention were specifically saying that there wasn’t a winning culture in place, and that something needed to occur. That’s hardly reckless, and it was in evidence certainly through the back half of last season, especially if you saw us play in person.

If we were to decide to stop sniping at each other and think about this issue, it does seem to fall on CTA.
How could he be unaware?
Why were any involved position coaches not brought in for discussions?
I never played or coached, but it seems these issues would likely be evident throughout a season.
The response of him wanting players to name their teammates was definitely worrisome on a couple of fronts.

Reactions: It Will Do
The response of him wanting players to name their teammates was definitely worrisome on a couple of fronts.
I would have to believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. CTA had to be aware but possibly not to the full extent.
Other than Sheridan I have no idea what other coaches/players were encouraged to leave. I guess I am more in the show me perspective for on the field improvement.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT