ADVERTISEMENT

PUTTING THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
.I thought it would be good to take a wider perspective of Us in the context of the overall Landscape of College Football.

1. We have won our first two games of the Season, and haven't played our best football. After Illinois destroyed Virginia yesterday, our victory over them looks better than it did a week ago. Not that Virginia is great, but when you dominate another team from a major Conference to that extent, You are a good team.

2. Next Week we have Western Kentucky at Home followed by Road Games at Cincy and Nebraska. UC lost a lot of good players from last Year and won;t be nearly as good as last year. Nebraska is a poorly Coached Team playing with no confidence. All 3 of these games are winnable, We have a decent possibility of being 4 and 1 and a chance at 5-0 at the end of the stretch. On October 2, We could be one win away from Bowl Eligible.

3. Looking around the Big 10, things are changing.

a. Iowa has scored 7 points in each of it's first two games. Watching them playing Offense is like watching a Root Canal. The old formula of conservative Offense and suffocating Defense isn't working.

b, Wisconsin scores 7 points at Home and loses by 10, Same problem as Iowa.

4, It's early in the Season. but I'm not seeing 4 teams that jump out at you as locks for the playoff. Alabama is rated Number 1, But The really struggled yesterday against Texas and should have lost that game, They look like they are capable of coughing up another Hairball and losing a regular Season Game. Georgia is certainly in that Group. Clemson? Maybe but they benefit from playing in a weak Conference and they aren't challenged week in and Week Out. Put them in the Big 10 East, and they would average 2-3 Regular season Losses. Ohio State looks to be the 4th of the group.

Biggest overrating in the ESPN top 25? Notre Dame at number 18 I don't know how you can be in anyone's Top 25 with an 0-2 Record including a loss at Home to man Underdog Marshall Team while scoring only 7 points.

5, There are some seriously overpaid coaches out there.

A. Jimbo Fisher - number 6 Team in the Country and loses at Home to App State. Statistics of the Day? App State controlled the ball for over 40 Minutes and A&M ran only 2 plays from Scrimmage in App State Territory.

B. Steve Sarkasian - Keeps showing the uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the Jaws of Victory in close games.

C. Scott Frost - Has reached the point of having a Moving Company on speed dial Dead Man walking.

D. Marcus Freeman - Notre Dame may be having Buyer's Remorse and looking for the return desk. Not a good idea to give a guy his first Head Coaching position at Notre Dame. This may turn out to be worse than Gerry Faust moving from High School to the Head Coaching position. Wonder what Coach McCullough thinks about his move from IU to South Bend.

6. What does all this mean for IU? If You are the favorite You can't just show up and count on superior talent to get You through (like next week). Conversely, You have the opportunity to get some unexpected Wins against "better" teams if You are well prepared and put forth the effort.

Frost was fired earlier today.
Lou Holtz said it best, Each team is different every week. Comparing other teams wins and loses is dumb. Virginia sucks and has a new coach. McCullough didn’t want to be here so F him. We are definitely a slow starting team. We need to get that fixed, soon.

Frost was fired earlier today.
Lou Holtz said it best, Each team is different every week. Comparing other teams wins and loses is dumb. Virginia sucks and has a new coach. McCullough didn’t want to be here so F him. We are definitely a slow starting team. We need to get that fixed, soon.
I didn't read about the Frost firing until after I posted,

Indiana simply needs to get back to a bowl game. After last sesson's turd, making a bowl game would be a major positive and boost recruiting. That seems like small expectations on my part but it would suit me.

It is an interesting landscape this year. Kentucky looks strong and they look to be a tough out moving forward. I watched some of their victory over UF and Stoops has assembled an impressive collection of talent in Lexington. I wouldn't be surprised if they challenge Georgia for the East.

Putting..... And I thought this thread was about golf.... but nooo, it's IU football?..... Damn, the English language is soooo confusing! 😬

• Haha
Reactions: vesuvius13
.I thought it would be good to take a wider perspective of Us in the context of the overall Landscape of College Football.

1. We have won our first two games of the Season, and haven't played our best football. After Illinois destroyed Virginia yesterday, our victory over them looks better than it did a week ago. Not that Virginia is great, but when you dominate another team from a major Conference to that extent, You are a good team.

2. Next Week we have Western Kentucky at Home followed by Road Games at Cincy and Nebraska. UC lost a lot of good players from last Year and won;t be nearly as good as last year. Nebraska is a poorly Coached Team playing with no confidence. All 3 of these games are winnable, We have a decent possibility of being 4 and 1 and a chance at 5-0 at the end of the stretch. On October 2, We could be one win away from Bowl Eligible.

3. Looking around the Big 10, things are changing.

a. Iowa has scored 7 points in each of it's first two games. Watching them playing Offense is like watching a Root Canal. The old formula of conservative Offense and suffocating Defense isn't working.

b, Wisconsin scores 7 points at Home and loses by 10, Same problem as Iowa.

4, It's early in the Season. but I'm not seeing 4 teams that jump out at you as locks for the playoff. Alabama is rated Number 1, But The really struggled yesterday against Texas and should have lost that game, They look like they are capable of coughing up another Hairball and losing a regular Season Game. Georgia is certainly in that Group. Clemson? Maybe but they benefit from playing in a weak Conference and they aren't challenged week in and Week Out. Put them in the Big 10 East, and they would average 2-3 Regular season Losses. Ohio State looks to be the 4th of the group.

Biggest overrating in the ESPN top 25? Notre Dame at number 18 I don't know how you can be in anyone's Top 25 with an 0-2 Record including a loss at Home to man Underdog Marshall Team while scoring only 7 points.

5, There are some seriously overpaid coaches out there.

A. Jimbo Fisher - number 6 Team in the Country and loses at Home to App State. Statistics of the Day? App State controlled the ball for over 40 Minutes and A&M ran only 2 plays from Scrimmage in App State Territory.

B. Steve Sarkasian - Keeps showing the uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the Jaws of Victory in close games.

C. Scott Frost - Has reached the point of having a Moving Company on speed dial Dead Man walking.

D. Marcus Freeman - Notre Dame may be having Buyer's Remorse and looking for the return desk. Not a good idea to give a guy his first Head Coaching position at Notre Dame. This may turn out to be worse than Gerry Faust moving from High School to the Head Coaching position. Wonder what Coach McCullough thinks about his move from IU to South Bend.

6. What does all this mean for IU? If You are the favorite You can't just show up and count on superior talent to get You through (like next week). Conversely, You have the opportunity to get some unexpected Wins against "better" teams if You are well prepared and put forth the effort.
Good insightful perspective, I think it is important to keep perspective as we go through the season. Early on, no one really knows how teams will do IE ND, A&M. Thinking someone you played was no good isn't accurate until a few games are played and tendencies become evident.

Indiana simply needs to get back to a bowl game. After last sesson's turd, making a bowl game would be a major positive and boost recruiting. That seems like small expectations on my part but it would suit me.

It is an interesting landscape this year. Kentucky looks strong and they look to be a tough out moving forward. I watched some of their victory over UF and Stoops has assembled an impressive collection of talent in Lexington. I

It is an interesting landscape this year. Kentucky looks strong and they look to be a tough out moving forward. I watched some of their victory over UF and Stoops has assembled an impressive collection of talent in Lexington. I wouldn't be surprised if they challenge Georgia for the East.

be surprised if they challenge Georgia for the East.RE:

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Yeah, how great is it that James Franklin Who,the media seems to think is the sharpest tool in the shed despite the fact that He hasn't produced anything of significant value for PSU couldn't find a way to utilize a big unorthodox QB in his system. Who is now leading Kentucky to a big SEC spot and maybe a top 10 Position by year End. Live and die with Sean Clifford as a 6th Year QB. the Second coming of Trace Mc Sorley?

This IU team will be lucky to win another game honestly. There is not going to be a bowl Tom Allen if flat out awful.

Reactions: CC Mac and Fpeaugh2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT