ADVERTISEMENT

There is going to be big injection of NIL money.

He had very good, and competitive NIL funds last offseason... And he got 2 5 star starters, 2 veteran bigs, and a 5 star 2024 recruit.

They could give him a billion dollars and he'd still have to coach the team he'd be able to assemble.
For sure for sure. Buying prior 5 star recruits that failed at their first stop aint gonna cut it. I dont care how much money we throw at it. When they come here for a second chance they are just looking for one year and on to the NBA. Sicko plan for failure.

And yet, IU is irrelevant nationally in sports. At least, the two sports that 95% of the country cares about. I think we have sucked so hard and so long, IU fans have forgotten what’s it’s like to be good. Heck, many IU fans aren’t old enough to have actual memories of when IU was good. So, it’s just expected that IU won’t make good decisions.
So sad but so true.

The point is to win, and if getting good players out of the portal is the best way, so be it.
Except it most likely isnt the best way. I guess woodson will get his chance to prove me wrong ont that but most programs build a foundation they do not load up half the roster in the portal each year.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Except it most likely isnt the best way. I guess woodson will get his chance to prove me wrong ont that but most programs build a foundation they do not load up half the roster in the portal each year.
Mgbako, Reneau, Galloway and Leal are the foundation. The foundation needs better players around them. Cam Spencer hasn't been at UCONN for 4 years.

Reactions: HowaboutaFresca
Mgbako, Reneau, Galloway and Leal are the foundation. The foundation needs better players around them. Cam Spencer hasn't been at UCONN for 4 years.
No he has not but I am also pretty certain uncon did not need to bring in 6 or 7 portal players last year. Like I said woodson is going to have his chance to prove people like me wrong next year that turning over half your roster can be recipe for success. This is 100% his roster by his own making. Whatever happens it is on him good or bad.

Leal is not part of the foundation. He has barely played and he is going into his 5th year. A foundation is set with returning 8 guys and filling a class with 3-5 guys each year

Leal is not part of the foundation. He has barely played and he is going into his 5th year. A foundation is set with returning 8 guys and filling a class with 3-5 guys each year
Leal is part of the leadership and culture. Recruit other productive portal players not Walker or Sparks.

Leal is part of the leadership and culture. Recruit other productive portal players not Walker or Sparks.
What type of culture? I would say that’s the weakness, we don’t have a strong culture.
Returning 6 total guys on your roster and only having one recruit coming isn’t ideal. Hopefully Woody can field a competive team next year but I don’t like how he is setting the culture and building a foundation. He doesn’t have one set at all

What type of culture? I would say that’s the weakness, we don’t have a strong culture.
Returning 6 total guys on your roster and only having one recruit coming isn’t ideal. Hopefully Woody can field a competive team next year but I don’t like how he is setting the culture and building a foundation. He doesn’t have one set at all
I think adding people that have a reputation of playing hard not having 5 star BS. Everything I have seen means recruit more Connor Hickmans. Less primadonnas more hard working players.

Reactions: kmathum
I think adding people that have a reputation of playing hard not having 5 star BS. Everything I have seen means recruit more Connor Hickmans. Less primadonnas more hard working players.
Agree and mix in a five star but recruit them out of high school also. Not just rentals

Reactions: kmathum
Hurley has killed it in the portal. Spencer this year, plus Newton, Alleyne, and Diarra last year. He’s also been adding HS talent, including a 5* in Castle. They lost so much production from a year ago, yet are still so dominant again after reloading.

Reactions: IUgradman

The higher the turnover on the roster, the weaker the culture will be. This team's identity can't even be predictable when recruiting has a 12 month time horizon. The building blocks need continuity.

Reactions: bsmitty08
The higher the turnover on the roster, the weaker the culture will be. This team's identity can't even be predictable when recruiting has a 12 month time horizon. The building blocks need continuity.
I mean you may get lucky one year and add 7 new guys in the portal and do ok but I do not see it as a recipe for long term success. Certainly not for an average to below average coach like woodson it is not imo.

Hurley has killed it in the portal. Spencer this year, plus Newton, Alleyne, and Diarra last year. He’s also been adding HS talent, including a 5* in Castle. They lost so much production from a year ago, yet are still so dominant again after reloading.
Hurley has also proben to be a great coach who runs a system to perfection. There are very few who could do what he is doing. Other programs that loaded up in the portal like penn state and west virigina did not even make the tourney. They had the top two transfer portal classes.

Hurley has also proben to be a great coach who runs a system to perfection. There are very few who could do what he is doing. Other programs that loaded up in the portal like penn state and west virigina did not even make the tourney. They had the top two transfer portal classes.
Also he is adding “a” portal guy each year. Not 6-7

Nebraska and Illinois did great in portal. Indiana State also.

Do you see these schools as “programs” or is this a flash in the pan and hit on some kids?
I don’t see this as a sustainable program building plan.
For Illinois it is. You need to accept how different things are now. There is no one way to do things now.

Reactions: IUAndy
He added 3 last year, and 2 are still there.
Ok? He added 1 this past off season plus had a 5 man recruiting class come in.

Year before he had a 3 man recruiting class.

He is building his core and filling a spot or two for needs. Huge difference

Ok? He added 1 this past off season plus had a 5 man recruiting class come in.

Year before he had a 3 man recruiting class.

He is building his core and filling a spot or two for needs. Huge difference
He lost like 67% of his production from last year. He totally retooled his roster for the 2nd year in a row. 3/5 starters are transfers this year, and he added 6 new players to his roster each season. It’s an example of success using both the portal and HS for recruiting, but it’s not an example of having a core and just adding a single piece.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
He lost like 67% of his production from last year. He totally retooled his roster for the 2nd year in a row. 3/5 starters are transfers this year, and he added 6 new players to his roster each season. It’s an example of success using both the portal and HS for recruiting, but it’s not an example of having a core and just adding a single piece.
So why can’t Woodson do the same?

He added 1 transfer this year. Spencer

I think you are right I never saw anything about uconn adding a ton of guys from the portal. They lost some starters but I think some of the new guys were just bench players.

Also he is adding “a” portal guy each year. Not 6-7
LIke I posted earlier for all those who think woodson can add 7 portals guys and have success we are going to see. Woodson will have his chance to prove to us it works next season. I also think he is going to roll with like 11 players. I dont think he will be able to fill all 13 spots unless he takes a couple Tim Priller types.

I said that above, twice. He added 3 last year and 2 are still there. Both seasons had a total of 6 new players added. That’s a roster overhaul 2 years in a row, and the portal additions have been critical to their success. Newton, from East Carolina, has been the lynchpin.

• Angry
I said that above, twice. He added 3 last year and 2 are still there. Both seasons had a total of 6 new players added. That’s a roster overhaul 2 years in a row, and the portal additions have been critical to their success. Newton, from East Carolina, has been the lynchpin.
So they have 3 transfers out of 13 scholarships. That’s not roster turn over brother.

Simon family and Buckner are giving MW everything he needs to succeed with the portal and for next season.

This is what insiders are saying with sources . On more than one forum.

This family wants MW to get a fourth year

What do you think of that.

Also my source
This is such a sad commentary on the state of the college game. But it sure looks like buying a team is, for the near future, the path forward.

yes, but alas there's then the coaching problem ...

So they have 3 transfers out of 13 scholarships. That’s not roster turn over brother.
For this season, yes. They added 6 new players last year: 3 transfers and 3 freshmen. They added 6 new players again this offseason: 1 transfer and 5 freshmen. That’s 12 new players in 2 years, and that is the definition of roster turnover.

• Haha
No he has not but I am also pretty certain uncon did not need to bring in 6 or 7 portal players last year. Like I said woodson is going to have his chance to prove people like me wrong next year that turning over half your roster can be recipe for success. This is 100% his roster by his own making. Whatever happens it is on him good or bad.
But Alabama and NC State did. I am not saying bringing in 6-7 portal guys a year is a good idea, but people saying it won't work don't really know because this all really started just a few years ago so it's relatively new. Banking on 4-5 high school kids to develop and stick around is also not a good recipe for success anymore.

For this season, yes. They added 6 new players last year: 3 transfers and 3 freshmen. They added 6 new players again this offseason: 1 transfer and 5 freshmen. That’s 12 new players in 2 years, and that is the definition of roster turnover.
You are building through the recruiting not portal dude

You can play exceptionally good poker and lose to an idiot playing his first game but over the long haul exceptional poker play wins out. Rolling the dice each year is not a good strategy for a top program. Maybe it will work out but likely not. An issue is that not only do we need very good players but they must be so good that they can overcome bad coaching.

Compare the average team intensity of UConn to IU. They are playing on super speed compared to us. Run some time off with the weave and then punch down low to Malik who looks where he wants to go for a couple seconds and then drives into the middle for a hook shot. Heavily scripted outdated basketball. The problem with our weave is it always looks like just going through the motions. The script says run the weave so we are running the weave.

The only energy player we have is TG and he has serious shortcomings unless he gets to the rim.

We lose Ware’s contribution which was major. I expect MM will have a better year shooting and maybe enough to go in the first round after next season. He needs to pick up some of the 10 rebounds lost with Ware and have a clue on defense.

Very close to zero chance we have a sweet sixteen season next year.

Simon family and Buckner are giving MW everything he needs to succeed with the portal and for next season.

This is what insiders are saying with sources . On more than one forum.

This family wants MW to get a fourth year

What do you think of that.

Also my source
The money is already there and has been. No idea what you are talking about.

Bryson Tucker had 3 pts in the McD game last night.

Anyone know why he left IMG Academy mid way through his junior year. I assume it was playing time but don’t know.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT