ADVERTISEMENT

There is going to be big injection of NIL money.

If your boss won't let you do your job, you can basically either quit, or lay back and enjoy it.
Exactly, or you can stay and try to manipulate it so that you can do your job, make the decision and make it appear like it was your boss's idea!

Also, Dolson is a fairly new AD. If he can stick it out, do his job well and then after a few more years maybe he will have enough clout to mitigate outside interference! Fingers crossed because it appears at this present time politics and nepotism is alive and well in Bton.

Why would anybody donate to Woodson he has no recruits coming in has to go get probably 5 portal players atleast not to mention is he going to change his offensive or defensive philosophy? This is shaping up to be a very very bad 2025 Indiana team.
Note that the posters on other boards were stating this before the McNeely news broke.

I don’t know if that changes anything … heck, it could be totally inaccurate in the first place.

Reactions: ndhuntington
Simon family and Buckner are giving MW everything he needs to succeed with the portal and for next season.

This is what insiders are saying with sources . On more than one forum.

This family wants MW to get a fourth year

What do you think of that.

Also my source
Pathetic… woody can’t coach. That’s the issue guys, not money!!!

Reactions: iulb
Simon family and Buckner are giving MW everything he needs to succeed with the portal and for next season.

This is what insiders are saying with sources . On more than one forum.

This family wants MW to get a fourth year

What do you think of that.

Also my source
They could do better things with the money. No recruits. Going to buy a team. Crazy.

Well, we have resilient NIL donors. I thought they might tail off more after not seeing much ROI.

I still struggle to see what we are building. We have a coach who is not long term even if he performs well enough to keep his job. It doesn’t appear we are building solid recruiting relationships — we had one high school commit this class. We aren’t getting many kids from Indiana. It’s not clear what our identity and culture is as a program (big guys and NIL?).

So we buy a team, but once they leave and Woody moves on what will be left? Probably a “rebuild” with whoever is the next coach. Not great.

I don’t know. Good luck with all the NIL Woody.
Well, the original poster said that's what being said on more than one forum... so essentially internet gossip. I don't buy it. No one's looking at this mess and thinking we need more of this. One thing wealthy people don't do generally is throw money away.

This is exactly why I said it was stupid to make an announcement that CMW is coming back: there are still more factors to consider. We've lost the only recruit we had, who has the skills this team sorely lacks. There's still more shoes to drop: if the team has a mass exodus. At some point those in power have to look at things and say: this isn't working.

I was thinking of how NIL Money is giving Coaches an instant excuse to fail, and how Coaches are starting to sound like Politicians. If a Government Program fails, it's never that the program was poorly designed, poorly administered or not needed. The problem is that We didn't make the program big enough and fund it sufficiently.

With Coaches, it isn't that I can't recruit my way out of a paper bag, I'm a lousy Coach, nobody with talent wants to play in mt system. It's that We don't have top of the line facilities, and there isn't enough Money in our NIL Pool so I can recruit top notch talent out of the portal, Therefore I am stuck with getting leftovers and Somebody Elses problem children. If only We had more NIL Money it would solve everything.

• Love
Reactions: dr.jb
I was thinking of how NIL Money is giving Coaches an instant excuse to fail, and how Coaches are starting to sound like Politicians. If a Government Program fails, it's never that the program was poorly designed, poorly administered or not needed. The problem is that We didn't make the program big enough and fund it sufficiently.

With Coaches, it isn't that I can't recruit my way out of a paper bag, I'm a lousy Coach, nobody with talent wants to play in mt system. It's that We don't have top of the line facilities, and there isn't enough Money in our NIL Pool so I can recruit top notch talent out of the portal, Therefore I am stuck with getting leftovers and Somebody Elses problem children. If only We had more NIL Money it would solve everything.
Not sure that flies at IU though. Isn't the word that we're top 5 in NIL? I mean for the results we've had, that's pretty extraordinary. Some facilities complaints might be legit, but even there money's been spent to at least put the best face on it (SSAH and Vic and Cody with the locker room for instance). The bottom line is we're floundering in year 3/4 and that's when any coach with chops would be flourishing and seeing the results of his vision. Nothing here to suggest that. I think a blind man can pretty well see what's coming for next year, so if the BOT or whoever, has to actually experience it, so be it, but it's really hard for CMW to afix blame anywhere else. Our NIL allowed us to retain all our players and even some bench guys have decent deals reportedly, sign one of the top transfers and freshmen 5 stars for 3 consecutive years. Dolson should have the first appt booked in the President's calendar this morning and tell her he needs the authority to do his job. Stay in your lane BOT, if that's truly what's happening.

Last edited:

don't forget the entitled fans

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
I say IU uses all of their NIL money to find replacements for Holmes and Scalia next year. You know, on the team that is fun to watch and can actually shoot the ball.

Reactions: red hornet
Well, the original poster said that's what being said on more than one forum... so essentially internet gossip. I don't buy it. No one's looking at this mess and thinking we need more of this. One thing wealthy people don't do generally is throw money away.

This is exactly why I said it was stupid to make an announcement that CMW is coming back: there are still more factors to consider. We've lost the only recruit we had, who has the skills this team sorely lacks. There's still more shoes to drop: if the team has a mass exodus. At some point those in power have to look at things and say: this isn't working.
I don’t think we disagree much.

Idk if that poster’s NIL source is true, but I’ve heard Cook is still on board. I think if our NIL was pulling back Woody would be fired because we would be dead in the portal. It’s sort of like when there was no NIL for Allen, but NIL for Cig. But somehow Woody still has NIL access.

Agree the exodus may get worse. I think this situation is unrecoverable. Woody needed McN next year, along with MM and MR to be okay and maybe make the tourney. He needs an absolute portal miracle now. But few if any good players are going to want to jump into this mess.

It’s a total disaster.

Reactions: GThomas and kkott

People who make wealth don't throw it away.

People who inherit wealth throw it away all the time.

Particularly when they are trying to push agendas.

Reactions: papawboog
People who make wealth don't throw it away.

People who inherit wealth throw it away all the time.

Particularly when they are trying to push agendas.
Remember the old story about the 20 Year Old Guy Who received a $50 million dollar inheritance and blew it all in 3 years? When asked how He did it, He replied, " I spent most of it on fast cars, faster women, great food, top shelf booze, and gambling, The rest of it I just wasted."

Then of course there are the supposed smart wealthy people who spent millions supporting Nikki Haley's failed campaign.

Reactions: Seyton
Remember the old story about the 20 Year Old Guy Who received a $50 million dollar inheritance and blew it all in 3 years? When asked how He did it, He replied, " I spent most of it on fast cars, faster women, great food, top shelf booze, and gambling, The rest of it I just wasted."

Then of course there are the supposed smart wealthy people who spent millions supporting Nikki Haley's failed campaign.
You have part of the story right. That was British soccer star George Best. He also had a quote about how he often went missing in his 20/30s: Miss USA, Miss Poland, Miss Canada....

Someone please educate me on how the NIL deals are created and negotiated, because I have no idea. Is it the coaching staff that negotiates the deals? Or is it Dolson? Or a handful of third parties, like Hoosier Hysterics?

I fear it’s the latter, and if so, thats bad. Those two knuckleheads known as Hoosier Hysterics are on record for wanting to see Woodson lose out, in order to hasten his exit. I’ve mentioned this conflict of interest in the past, and it needs repeating. These guys could *potentially* be working in the background to undermine the success of the program in order to get Woodson out. (Note that I wrote “potentially” before any one freaks out. They likely won’t, but who knows. They aren’t the brightest light bulbs. )

I can’t see Dolson and Woodson wanting any third parties, including HH, to continue as the face of NIL for Indiana University. If the Simons of the world are ready to donate big bucks to NIL, then the IU athletic department needs to wrest control from these guys.

Here is a far fetched question, and it must be be asked: Are the HH guys the one’s that negotiated a deal with McNeely?

Someone please educate me on how the NIL deals are created and negotiated, because I have no idea. Is it the coaching staff that negotiates the deals? Or is it Dolson? Or a handful of third parties, like Hoosier Hysterics?

I fear it’s the latter, and if so, thats bad. Those two knuckleheads known as Hoosier Hysterics are on record for wanting to see Woodson lose out, in order to hasten his exit. I’ve mentioned this conflict of interest in the past, and it needs repeating. These guys could *potentially* be working in the background to undermine the success of the program in order to get Woodson out. (Note that I wrote “potentially” before any one freaks out. They likely won’t, but who knows. They aren’t the brightest light bulbs. )

I can’t see Dolson and Woodson wanting any third parties, including HH, to continue as the face of NIL for Indiana University. If the Simons of the world are ready to donate big bucks to NIL, then the IU athletic department needs to wrest control from these guys.

Here is a far fetched question, and it must be be asked: Are the HH guys the one’s that negotiated a deal with McNeely?
Woody is responsible for Woody failing. There is no one else to blame.

Third parties do the NIL deals. Hoosiers for Good, Hoosier Connect, etc.

HH are idiots we should disassociate from, but in the end they are just a smaller collective that does give some $ that helps. I don’t know who did the McNeely deal but HH is too small to lead it I would think.

The big donor influences are not HH. It’s Simon and Cook. They’re a big part of the problem. Simon and others like Woody and $ talks. We have way too many cooks in the kitchen (donors, Quinn, BoT, Pam, Dolson) and most of them don't know how to build a college bball program. Therefore, we struggle. We need to let Dolson do his job. If he fails change him out and find an AD who can do it.

We won’t fix this political mess so we are probably going to continue struggling at bball.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott

HH are idiots we should disassociate from, but in the end they are just a smaller collective that does give some $ that helps. I don’t know who did the McNeely deal but HH is too small to lead it I would think.

The big donor influences are not HH. It’s Simon and Cook. They’re a big part of the problem. Simon and others like Woody and $ talks. We have way too many cooks in the kitchen (donors, Quinn, BoT, Pam, Dolson) and most of them don't know how to build a college bball program. Therefore, we struggle. We need to let Dolson do his job. If he fails change him out and find an AD who can do it.
Next year is going to be a disaster. He already needs 5 portal players and thats before anyone has even announced a transfer yet.

We won’t fix this political mess so we are probably going to continue struggling at bball.
Anyone remember all the talk about IU being ahead of the curve with NIL?

We created this beast.

Anyone remember all the talk about IU being ahead of the curve with NIL?

We created this beast.
Yea, though we have always had the meddling issue with donors and non-ADs (Brand, Herbert, Quinn). IU is so political.

Well, we have resilient NIL donors. I thought they might tail off more after not seeing much ROI.

I still struggle to see what we are building. We have a coach who is not long term even if he performs well enough to keep his job. It doesn’t appear we are building solid recruiting relationships — we had one high school commit this class. We aren’t getting many kids from Indiana. It’s not clear what our identity and culture is as a program (big guys and NIL?).

So we buy a team, but once they leave and Woody moves on what will be left? Probably a “rebuild” with whoever is the next coach. Not great.

I don’t know. Good luck with all the NIL Woody.
Solid recruiting relationships has taken a backseat to the portal...although he has one thru Montverde...as long as the portal is a recruiting tool CMW will use it as he isn't a big freshman fan!

Happy and Woodson would be the best of friends. The best darn players money can buy!
There goes Happy, headed for the cash machine!
Except it's legal now, so who gives a shit if we "buy" players. So does everyone else.

Except it's legal now, so who gives a shit if we "buy" players. So does everyone else.
The point of having a coach is to teach the game the right way to talented kids.
Buying players presumes they learn to play their own way and then join a team. Sort of like...wait for it....the NBA. Only this isn't the NBA, this is Big Ten basketball. Seems to me a number of programs continue to understand that while somehow, despite the illustrious history of great college ball, Indiana has thrown in the towel and decided to try to be like effing Kentucky.

If your boss won't let you do your job, you can basically either quit, or lay back and enjoy it.
All his experience is at IU, if he left, he MIGHT get an offer to be an AD at somewhere like South East Missouri State for 100k. He is stuck between a rock and a hard place if he wants to move on Woodson and is being over-ruled from above.

Solid recruiting relationships has taken a backseat to the portal...although he has one thru Montverde...as long as the portal is a recruiting tool CMW will use it as he isn't a big freshman fan!
Yeah because recruiting freshman takes effort and Woody is lazy. He'd rather just buy a roster in the off-season than have to actually develop relationships and recruit.

Yeah because recruiting freshman takes effort and Woody is lazy. He'd rather just buy a roster in the off-season than have to actually develop relationships and recruit.
Booker was someone we recruited from the beginning

Booker was someone we recruited from the beginning
I'm not saying he doesn't offer people, I'm saying he doesn't actively recruit. He rarely goes on visits, you never see him at any of the high school games, hell Liam's mom said he hadn't even talked to Woodson on the phone since he signed. Why develop relationships and build a culture when you can just wait until the last minute and buy a roster?

We can all talk until we're blue in the face about the lack of pace his teams play with, his bench full of yes men, and his 1970s style offense but at the end of the day it's his laziness and his baseless ego that will be his downfall.

He thinks he's awesome and anyone who doesn't think so isn't a real fan. What we all should be wondering is where this ego even came from, dude acts like he's Bob Knight yet he's never won a damn thing in his entire coaching career.

What isn't working? Athletic success or financial success? And which one is more important to the powers that be? I am convinced that the financials are working just fine; and is the most important component. Sadly, at IU, the two are mutually exclusive. Its a business....and a profitable one.

The point of having a coach is to teach the game the right way to talented kids.
Buying players presumes they learn to play their own way and then join a team. Sort of like...wait for it....the NBA. Only this isn't the NBA, this is Big Ten basketball. Seems to me a number of programs continue to understand that while somehow, despite the illustrious history of great college ball, Indiana has thrown in the towel and decided to try to be like effing Kentucky.

The point is to win, and if getting good players out of the portal is the best way, so be it.

May have helped retain Mgbako and Malik. But WE NEED SHOOTERS.
Guy from louisville cancelled his iu visit. He was a big but still we also need another big man. I get the feeling woodson is not going to be able to fill all 13 spots. My guess is 11 spots get filled.

In the case of Huntley-Hatfield, Joe Tipton of On3 is reporting Monday a visit to IU just announced on Friday has now been cancelled. Tipton is reporting the Louisville transfer center will focus instead on UConn, Pittsburgh, N.C. State or a return to Louisville.

Guy from louisville cancelled his iu visit. He was a big but still we also need another big man. I get the feeling woodson is not going to be able to fill all 13 spots. My guess is 11 spots get filled.

In the case of Huntley-Hatfield, Joe Tipton of On3 is reporting Monday a visit to IU just announced on Friday has now been cancelled. Tipton is reporting the Louisville transfer center will focus instead on UConn, Pittsburgh, N.C. State or a return to Louisville.
He’s not a center. Once MM came back he saw no real starter minutes. Woody is looking for a center and who says it was his choice anyway?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT