ADVERTISEMENT

The other side of Christianity

I do believe there is a split between Presbyterians, who believe in predestination, and Methodist, who believe in free will (for example). The first group does not focus on evangelizing, because of their belief in the elect. The second does because of the Great Commission.
Yeah, that's really not the primary reason that there's a split between Presbyterians and Methodists; for the most part Presbyterians don't have a damned clue what predestination means . . . that's according to a Presbyterian theologian and retired Presbyterian seminary professor. I've gone to Presbyterian churches for the last 30 years and not once has the topic of predestination been raised other than to say "yeah, um, next question . . . ."

The primary reason for the split was that Presbyterian's required every church's pastor to be college educated, and Methodists didn't* . . . along with Baptists and several Presbyterian offshoots like the Cumberland Presbyterian Church . . . .

*Methodists weren't anti-education, they just thought that getting more preachers into the field faster would likely serve the KoG more than waiting until those same guys could pass classes at Harvard.

Good post Marvin. Sometimes the left gets over it’s skis when it equates Christians to evangelicals. The raging hypocrites are the evangelicals, not the Christians. My guess is that the percentage of Methodists that support Trump is much lower than the 80% of evangelicals that do. The majority of Christians decry divisive rhetoric and would support equal protection for LGBT and humane treatment for immigrants and refugees. If anything, we have learned the evangelicals have missed much of Jesus’ teachings about what it means to be a Christian.
The dividing line that I'm tending to put a lot of faith in is whether the person identifying as a Christian - or any other religion - is a confessing adherent, meaning that the person confesses belief and works damned hard to live in accordance with those principles (hence the word disciple, as in someone who disciplines himself/herself in accordance with the religion's principles). In contrast to a confessing adherent would be someone who moves past personal adherence to those principles to insisting that others do so, too.

There are both of those types of folks in most religious organizations . . . and a good many of them move between the selflessness of the confessing adherent and the selfishness of the ones who insist that everyone be like them . . . often without knowing they're doing it. Frankly, that's what religion at its best is best at, helping individuals grow into confessing disciples.

For example, I don't agree with gay marriage so I've been told I hate them. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I don't think you should look down on them, discriminate against them, or treat them badly.
Since you "don't agree with gay marriage", do you also not countenance the legality of same sex marriage? Of are you just saying you wouldn't yourself marry some guy?

Yeah, that's really not the primary reason that there's a split between Presbyterians and Methodists; for the most part Presbyterians don't have a damned clue what predestination means . . . that's according to a Presbyterian theologian and retired Presbyterian seminary professor. I've gone to Presbyterian churches for the last 30 years and not once has the topic of predestination been raised other than to say "yeah, um, next question . . . ."

The primary reason for the split was that Presbyterian's required every church's pastor to be college educated, and Methodists didn't* . . . along with Baptists and several Presbyterian offshoots like the Cumberland Presbyterian Church . . . .

*Methodists weren't anti-education, they just thought that getting more preachers into the field faster would likely serve the KoG more than waiting until those same guys could pass classes at Harvard.

Oh, I didn't mean the whole predestination thing was a reason for any split. I was just saying that it does play into each churches' opinion on the importance of evangelism.

Reactions: Sope Creek
You guys are both right. It all depends on "When."

In the days of Christ, Christians were radical left.
In the days when the Christians were persecuted, Christians were radical left.
When Christianity became the power behind the power, it became the radical right.

When a subset of Muslims are assholes, we’re supposed to hold it against the entire religion so the “good ones” will be motivated to deal with the “bad ones”. When a subset of Christians are assholes, suddenly it’s important to understand the nuances of denomination and interpretation of beliefs.

When a subset of Muslims are assholes, we’re supposed to hold it against the entire religion so the “good ones” will be motivated to deal with the “bad ones”. When a subset of Christians are assholes, suddenly it’s important to understand the nuances of denomination and interpretation of beliefs.
Isn't that the way God intended?

I dunno . . . what God's intentions are aren't always all that clear to us muddle-headed finite beings.

What do you think God intended?
Amazing to me that a god is assumed to b in control, Zeus, Apollo, which one?

Amazing to me that a god is assumed to b in control, Zeus, Apollo, which one?
Does it matter? If you don't believe, they are all equally fake. If you do believe, they are all avatars of the ultimate source of the sacred, which is set apart from the profane, and which we in the profane strive to connect to. If you do believe, then your choice of God or gods simply represents the way in which you attempt to make that connection. If you don't believe, why should you give more than zero thoughts to which God or gods someone else believes in?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT