And God's light came shinin' on through
I woke up in the darkness scared and breathin' and born anew
It wasn't the cold river bottom I felt rushing over me
It wasn't the bitterness of a dream that didn't come true
It wasn't the wind in the grey fields I felt rushing through my arms
No no baby it was you
So hold me close honey say you're forever mine
And tell me you'll be my lonely valentine"

Anybody ever play that game where you list your "deserted island" albums, the records you'd absolutely have to have with you if you were stranded on a deserted island? I don't know how many we get to take, but for me this album is a must...

I love this song. But for my money it's the 5th or 6th best song on this album, and is definitely #4 of the 4 songs on side 1. There are at least 2 maybe more songs on this album that would make my final list of songs I'd want playing at my last hurrah, in whatever form that might take...

I searched but found this not mentioned. "Write your own song" Willie and Waylon. I'm 55 and don't recall ever hearing this song.

This one really surprised me. Rap that I will actually listen to. It's not that I dislike rap/hip hop - I just never got into it. But this song and album are really great.

I searched but found this not mentioned. "Write your own song" Willie and Waylon. I'm 55 and don't recall ever hearing this song.
I remember hearing it, but it came out in 1984, after corporate Nashville was already in charge and so it didn’t get regular Nashville airplay. MTV was still new enough that they were “keeping outlaw, music alive.“ That filtered down to some of the FM stations.

PS - It was (allegedly - can’t find a confirmation) produced by IU’s own - Booker T. Jones (the T is allegedly -can’t confirm - for Taliaferro! - mind blown).

• Wow
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I remember hearing it, but it came out in 1984, after corporate Nashville was already in charge and so it didn’t get regular Nashville airplay. MTV was still new enough that they were “keeping outlaw, music alive.“ That filtered down to some of the FM stations.

PS - It was (allegedly - can’t find a confirmation) produced by IU’s own - Booker T. Jones (the T is allegedly -can’t confirm - for Taliaferro! - mind blown).
What am I missing re Taliaferro? That's Booker's middle name. Was also his father's middle name as well as the middle name of Booker T. Washington:

What am I missing re Taliaferro? That's Booker's middle name. Was also his father's middle name as well as the middle name of Booker T. Washington:
George Taliaferro - IU football and civil rights hero.

I know of no family connection, but it is certainly interesting that a young genius musician from Memphis would wind up at Indiana University, with the middle name “Taliaferro“ many years after George Taliaferro did his thing at IU.

Rainbow stew, via Merle haggard.
“When planes fly with no fuel and the sun heats our homes”

Hmmmmm 1970’s

Happened to catch part of American Idol tonight. This performance gave me goosebumps. Unbelievable talent.

Ian Hunter is an eccentric genius, but he can truly rock. Memphis is just the ultimate rocker, and I think I might have bought another of his solo albums (in addition to Once Bitten) as well.

But imho MOTT was the pinnacle. Some non-Memphis faves...

"So rock'n'roll's a loser's game
It mesmerizes and I can't explain
The reasons for the sights and for the sounds
The greasepaint still sticks to my face
So what the hell, I can't erase
The rock'n'roll feeling from my mind"

"Oh, I wish I was your mother
I wish I'd been your father
And then I would have seen you
Would have been you as a child
Played houses with your sisters
And wrestled with all your brothers
And then who knows
I might have felt a family for a while"

And of course Honaloochie Boogie (Always loved the way he says BOO gie)

"I was a city child with a dead-end smile
And a worm's-eye point of view
Oh I knew my way, I was a back-street stray
And I had my eyes on you
Now I got this friend and he's a screwdriver-jiver
You know, some kinda automobeat on the street
And he has converted me to rock'n'roll
I just want to dance to
Honaloochie boogie yeah
Get in time, don't worry 'bout the shirt shine
Honaloochie boogie yeah
You sure started somethin'"

I saw the name Quicksilver, and assumed you were referring to the legendary Quicksilver Messenger Service...

Noticed some really good covers being posted,and just heard this one for the first time today. For me the best version is still Jackson's original off of Everyman, with Gregg Allman's soulful rendition a close second. But of all the rest of the many versions of this masterpiece that Jackson wrote when he was 16, this may be the best. This is outstanding...

She has a beautiful voice, the arrangement is fantastic, and the emotion is palpable...

Noticed some really good covers being posted,and just heard this one for the first time today. For me the best version is still Jackson's original off of Everyman, with Gregg Allman's soulful rendition a close second. But of all the rest of the many versions of this masterpiece that Jackson wrote when he was 16, this may be the best. This is outstanding...

She has a beautiful voice, the arrangement is fantastic, and the emotion is palpable...

I was really skeptical of this when it popped up on my feed, as these folks are no spring chickens. But once she opens her mouth to sing, she almost sounds more like classic 70s Joni than anyone I've heard before. I really admire the way Brandi Carlisle has resurrected classics like the Blue album, but Brandi doesn't have a great voice and it's a cover. But this lady has a beautiful voice, and I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone cover this before...

I was really skeptical of this when it popped up on my feed, as these folks are no spring chickens. But once she opens her mouth to sing, she almost sounds more like classic 70s Joni than anyone I've heard before. I really admire the way Brandi Carlisle has resurrected classics like the Blue album, but Brandi doesn't have a great voice and it's a cover. But this lady has a beautiful voice, and I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone cover this before...

Nice voice

Crappy preachy whiny hippie song

Here is a good Paris song

Happy 76th Birthday to JT. Another musical icon of the past 50+ yrs which might (arguably) be the greatest half century of American music...

The song he wrote as a lullaby for his namesake nephew...

The song he wrote while watching Joni sleep when she came to visit him on the set of Two Lane Blacktop. Anybody else see that movie about street racers, which also starred Warren Oates? Pretty bad...

Mr and Mrs Taylor and their electric opening of the No Nukes concert in 1979...

Ever the houndog, the song which "inspired" Carly to write You Belong to Me

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT