ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse U suspends chem prof for syllabus that refers to the “Wuhan Flu”

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001

The announcement comes after social media posts circulated Tuesday of a course syllabus appearing to belong to chemistry professor Jon Zubieta that refers to the coronavirus as “Wuhan Flu” and “Chinese Communist Party Virus.” Zubieta did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“The derogatory language used by a professor on his course syllabus is damaging to the learning environment for our students and offensive to Chinese, international and Asian-Americans everywhere who have experienced hate speech, rhetoric and actions since the pandemic began,” said Karin Ruhlandt, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and John Liu, interim vice chancellor and provost, in a statement Tuesday.

The Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services received a complaint against the professor, which the office will investigate and address according to university procedures, Ruhlandt and Liu said. The professor has been removed from teaching while the investigation continues.

“We will not allow any member of our community to violate the University’s commitment to a safe, inclusive and welcoming learning and living environment,” they said.

Reactions: sglowrider
He looks like you'd expect him to look like. Middle aged to older white guy.

Jon-Zubieta72.ec821b42.fill-400x400.jpg

The announcement comes after social media posts circulated Tuesday of a course syllabus appearing to belong to chemistry professor Jon Zubieta that refers to the coronavirus as “Wuhan Flu” and “Chinese Communist Party Virus.” Zubieta did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“The derogatory language used by a professor on his course syllabus is damaging to the learning environment for our students and offensive to Chinese, international and Asian-Americans everywhere who have experienced hate speech, rhetoric and actions since the pandemic began,” said Karin Ruhlandt, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and John Liu, interim vice chancellor and provost, in a statement Tuesday.

The Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services received a complaint against the professor, which the office will investigate and address according to university procedures, Ruhlandt and Liu said. The professor has been removed from teaching while the investigation continues.

“We will not allow any member of our community to violate the University’s commitment to a safe, inclusive and welcoming learning and living environment,” they said.

They have higher standards than the RNC. How many times did Trump say “China virus” on the first night of the RNC?

Zubieta distributed the syllabi to students in his course titled, “Inorganic Chemistry."

In the syllabus, Zubieta included a section titled "Special Notices Related to the COVID19 Pandemic" where he also referred to the virus as the “Wuhan Flu” and “Chinese Communist Party Virus."

Except it already has a name and the goal calling it by its geographic name is to rally like minded individuals. Not be geographically correct. If were being honest.

The virus originated from Wuhan. Things are frequently named based on geographic origin, including one of the more overlooked RBs of all time

FlusteredSnivelingCowbird-size_restricted.gif

The virus originated from Wuhan. Things are frequently named based on geographic origin, including one of the more overlooked RBs of all time

FlusteredSnivelingCowbird-size_restricted.gif

Right and just as frequently they are not named after geographic origin. Also who over looks Gale Sayers? Arguably one of the best ever man. ALSO the Nigerian Nightmare is my favorite geographic nickname. Would be a very scary virus name.

Right and just as frequently they are not named after geographic origin. Also who over looks Gale Sayers? Arguably one of the best ever man. ALSO the Nigerian Nightmare is my favorite geographic nickname. Would be a very scary virus name.

I never heard of CO called that (was also young when he played)! That's a great name - dude was a load.

Shooter is a racist.
That would mean that I think that persons of a particular race share negative characteristics that make them inferior to my own race, or that persons of my own race share positive characteristics making them superior to other races. Neither applies here. I happen to be of the same race as the person being considered.

You are as deficient in linguistics as you are in mathematics.

Did I provide a stereotype? Of course I did. The angry white male, usually middle-aged, is in my experiences the type of person longing for those bygone days when their superiority was simply assumed, just based on skin tone.

That would mean that I think that persons of a particular race share negative characteristics that make them inferior to my own race, or that persons of my own race share positive characteristics making them superior to other races. Neither applies here. I happen to be of the same race as the person being considered.

Did I provide a stereotype? Of course I did. The angry white male, usually middle-aged, is in my experiences the type of person longing for those bygone days when their superiority was simply assumed, just based on skin tone.

CO is far beyond middle age. Jus' sayin"...

Prof Zubieta received his B.S. degree in 1966 from Fordham University, PhD in '71 from Columbia.

So he's probably in his mid-70s and that picture, like many faculty headshots,is probably quite old.

Time for the pasture...

Hard to argue with such a well nuanced and focused response.

You attributed negative stereotypes to a person's immutable characteristics. That's racism. That's also smuggary which you frequently displayed.

Reactions: 76-1

We have that DVD set. Just ripped it off the DVD’s and added it to my plex setup.

We also have magilla gorilla & top cat. All Hannah barbera productions.

Outside of some of the early Disney stuff, that’s one of the most racist cartoons ever. It’s ridiculously racist at times.

The theme song for Honk Kong Phoey is something that’ll get stuck in your head for a while. It’s memorable.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
webster
rac·ism | \ ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi- \
a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Oxford
Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized. The belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

Cambridge
someone who believes that their race makes them better, more intelligent, more moral, etc. than people of other races and who does or says unfair or harmful things as a result.

---
a good read: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/racism-concept-change/594526/

There is also no rule that requires the racist epithet must come from a person of a different race. The BLM leader claiming black cops are not black is also racist. You and the BLM impose certain negative attributes to a person because they are if a certain color.

You attributed negative stereotypes to a person's immutable characteristics. That's racism. That's also smuggary which you frequently displayed.

well, he’s describing the person that made the racist comments.

Gaslight Much CO? That was classic gaslighting. You’ve become really good at gaslighting and whatabouting. You either call out someone that’s calling someone else out, OR you point to the “other side/person” and claim that they’re doing the same bad behavior.

The guy’s characteristics would’ve never been in question had he not engaged in racist behavior. As it is, he DOES fit the stereotype of the person that would engage in this type of behavior.

That doesn’t mean everyone like him does the same thing. Outside shooter never claimed that much.

webster
rac·ism | \ ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi- \
a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Oxford
Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized. The belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

Cambridge
someone who believes that their race makes them better, more intelligent, more moral, etc. than people of other races and who does or says unfair or harmful things as a result.

---
a good read: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/racism-concept-change/594526/

You singled out the guy for ridicule because he is white. And old. Do you want to go for the trifecta? You are on a roll.

Reactions: 76-1
You singled out the guy for ridicule because he is white. And old. Do you want to go for the trifecta? You are on a roll.
I singled the guy out for ridicule becuase I, plus the students and administration at SU, consider him to be a racist.

You would have been stunned, also, if he had turned out to be something other than an angry white guy.

He is a member of my race who has seemed to demean persons of other races. That doesn't mean that I hate his race (my race) or think that all members of the white race are either superior or inferior to members of any other race.

You might want to think a little. It is even an asset to good lawyering.

Reactions: Circlejoe
I singled the guy out for ridicule becuase I, plus the students and administration at SU, consider him to be a racist.

You would have been stunned, also, if he had turned out to be something other than an angry white guy.

He is a member of my race who has seemed to demean persons of other races. That doesn't mean that I hate his race (my race) or think that all members of the white race are either superior or inferior to members of any other race.

You might want to think a little. It is even an asset to good lawyering.

Even if you are a right, it means you are a bigot. Same difference when you are talking about negative stereotypes of people. There was nothing to prevent you from saying the professor was a racist. But noooo, you took it to stereotyping based on age and race. Not a good look for you and as far as I am concerned a reveal.

Even if you are a right, it means you are a bigot.

you are linguistically deficient, even in your shift

Webster's definition of bigot
A person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

oxford
A person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

cambridge
a person who has strong, unreasonable beliefs and who does not like other people who have different beliefs or a different way of life:

----
I don't hate white people. I do tend to strongly dislike racist people, and find that many of the racists in America are white. That finding is perfectly reasonable, given our nation's long history of institutionalized racism to favor white men and establish them (us!) as a privileged class.

you are linguistically deficient, even in your shift

Webster's definition of bigot
A person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

oxford
A person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

cambridge
a person who has strong, unreasonable beliefs and who does not like other people who have different beliefs or a different way of life:

----
I don't hate white people. I do tend to strongly dislike racist people, and find that many of the racists in America are white. That finding is perfectly reasonable, given our nation's long history of institutionalized racism to favor white men and establish them as a privileged class.

Assigning specific behavior of individuals based upon their group status is almost always unreasonable and in most cases, such as this one, irrelevant. You have shown problems understanding relevancy in the past.

Did I suggest that certain racist attitudes tend to fit a profile? Yes.
Is that racist? No.
Bigoted? No.
Subjective? Yes.
Opinionated? Yes.
Supported by historical evidence? Yes.

Did I suggest that certain racist attitudes tend to fit a profile? Yes.
Is that racist? No.
Bigoted? No.
Subjective? Yes.
Opinionated? Yes.
Supported by historical evidence? Yes.

You have zero historical evidence that this professor is racist. If you want to consider using the word “Wuhan” as evidence of racism, be my guest. But I think that’s stupid. The rest of your analysis is irrelevant as applied to this professor.

“Wuhan flu” was immediately and widely recognized as being a racist statement by SU students, faculty, and administration. Duh... it is WHY he was suspended.

I am hard-pressed to think of people in America who routinely disparage Chinese people who are non-white, so their is indeed historical context to offer up the opinion that this professor seems to fit the profile.

Are all or even most people of his age racist? No.
Are all or even most people of his skin tone racist? No.
Is there a troubling amount of people who are generally of his age and skin tone that are racist? Yes.

Be better.
Post better.
Think more.

You have zero historical evidence that this professor is racist. If you want to consider using the word “Wuhan” as evidence of racism, be my guest. But I think that’s stupid. The rest of your analysis is irrelevant as applied to this professor.

The old, white guy bit was unnecessary, but the universe might implode if this version of COH went all back to the future with the COH who loved to comment about the likely background of person responsible for a terrorist attack. 😱

Prof Zubieta received his B.S. degree in 1966 from Fordham University, PhD in '71 from Columbia.

So he's probably in his mid-70s and that picture, like many faculty headshots,is probably quite old.

Time for the pasture...
So you believe he should be fired for this?

Tenure policies might make it difficult to fire him, but not to take away teaching responsibilities and to downwardly adjust his pay in parallel with the reduction in responsibilities.

Many schools have forced retirement, before his age, or have a review process that encourages and incentivizes retirement based upon research productivity declining or teaching abilities being diminished for any reason.

He might say "this was just a bad joke, I am a sarcastic guy and obvously this is not something I'm ever going to discuss in my inorganic chemistry class. I wanted to see if anyone would notice and it was a bad decision on my part. If he was my colleague, I would advise him to take that approach.

Don't be stubborn, admit you were wrong, that it was a bad choice, an out-of-character choice (if that is what the evidence shows!), and ask for forgiveness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT