ADVERTISEMENT

What is a fair baseline for this year, and is the fanbase willing to accept hitting that mark even if it falls short of lofty expectations?

7 should be the floor and we better win our bowl game this time. Have to figure out the reason why we lay eggs in bowls.
I could tell you the answer here why we’ve struggled in bowl games, but you and most other people won’t want to hear it.

I do agree that 7 should be the floor and hopefully we don’t play a SEC team in the bowl game. I expect 9-4.

Last edited:
After two years of success with some finding fault with the success it is time for fans to recognized these players are different than previous teams of the past. I know people remember the past but negative thinking about IUFB is a terrible way to live. People said the team needed to win to get people in the stands believing in the team; IUFB has been winning the past two years so start believing in this team.

While there definitely is more optimism around the program than there's been in a long, long while, (longer than I've been alive, granted, that only stretches back to the mid-90s), I do worry about myself and the fanbase in general keeping perspective on where this program actually is. There's no doubt that Allen is and has been building something special, but there's also no doubt that Indiana (as in every year since the divisions were created) plays in, at worst, the 2nd most difficult division in college football. Add to that a difficult crossover game to open the year, a brutal spotlight game against Cincy no one saw coming when it was scheduled, and a road game at Western Kentucky (which I personally think is trickier and more dangerous than people have given it credit for), and you've got a schedule full of potential losses and/or chances for the team to hit a run of bad form.

Additionally, I think you could reasonably argue that Indiana skipped a couple steps in program growth the past few years, going from a fringe bowl/5-7 program to a top 25 team to a top 10 team in just a couple years is not at all the typical trendline of a CFB program, particularly one bereft of any real history, and that we are due for a speed bump or setback on some level. Program development is rarely, if ever, linear and especially is not normally this steep. I've seen some people here, and in the general IU fan online spaces, claim that 9-3 or 10-2 should be the floor and that less would a disappointment. While I understand that feeling, after all who wants to be reserved when everything is still there for the taking, I don't think it is especially fair.

The most important thing for the program right now still should be solidifying its position as a consistent bowl program and somewhere in the middle-tier of the conference. After all, we are only two seasons removed from staying home for the winter in back to back seasons. Solidifying the ground underneath us, and establishing a new floor, is far more important in my opinion than hitting or raising our ceiling. Especially when it comes to developing the fanbase; while years like last year are fun, no doubt, they'll mean little in the long run if they become a flash in the pan. But if Indiana can build a consistent, competitive 7-5 or 8-4 as our floor, well, with time, more and more people will be drawn in and become less fair-weather, and greater fan support can only help build to greater things in the future.

With that in mind, and considering the difficulty of the road in front of us, I'd argue that seven wins, with or without one of them being a bowl game, is a successful year for the program. Sure, it won't take us to Pasadena, but it will continue to establish IU as a competent football program that is here to be competitive and solid. And that, in my opinion, is what the goal should continue to be. (That being said, anything beyond 7-5 or 7-6 would still be wonderful and is by no stretch of the imagination improbable or unlikely.)
My prediction is 7-5. I could see us going anywhere from 4-8 if a lot of things go wrong to 10-2 if most everything goes right. The schedule is very tough: between Iowa, Cincy, PSU, Michigan & OSU, It's hard to see us going better than 3-2 in those 5 games. I'm concerned that a lot of fans wil jump off the bandwagon if we don't contend for the B1G championship, & it's unlikely that we will, imo, so I hope fans stay with us. Bottom line tho, against this slate, we could have a better team than last year & go 7-5. Brutal schedule.

My prediction is 7-5. I could see us going anywhere from 4-8 if a lot of things go wrong to 10-2 if most everything goes right. The schedule is very tough: between Iowa, Cincy, PSU, Michigan & OSU, It's hard to see us going better than 3-2 in those 5 games. I'm concerned that a lot of fans wil jump off the bandwagon if we don't contend for the B1G championship, & it's unlikely that we will, imo, so I hope fans stay with us. Bottom line tho, against this slate, we could have a better team than last year & go 7-5. Brutal schedule.
No way we go 4-8 unless we lose Penix & Tuttle, 3 off linemen, and 3-5 staters on defense to injury!
7-5 is the low water mark with 9-10 being realistic win total (regular season)

Great post. Long time listener (reader) first time poster. I’ve been keeping up with IU football since the Marcus Thigpen & Greg Middleton days. I live in Oklahoma and there’s such huge expectations for the local teams down here that it really takes the fun out of being a fan. As I’ve been watching the Hoosiers I’ve been so overjoyed in the seasons that we’ve made it to a bowl… It just feels like there’s nothing to lose when you have been rooting for a team that averages 3/4 wins a year (prior to the last few seasons). And that’s why these last few years have been so much fun, because we are becoming somebody. I remember running into a IU fan down here a couple years ago and I told them I follow the football program closer than the basketball program. Then what followed was a very strange look😂. I love what CTA is doing with this program and I’m just going to ride the wave as long as it lasts. That being said I really hope someday IU will beat the buckeyes and win the BigTen. That will be amazing. This squad is special and they have a good chance. I’ll be so thankful if we can make a bowl and win it! Those are my hopes. Go Hoosiers!

You asked, I'll answer...I personally think 9 wins in the regular season would make me happy. Throw in a January bowl win to cap a 10 win season, and I'd take it.

A 7 win season would disappoint me, it really would. When you've got our experience mixed with some serious talent, expectations should be pretty darn high. A 10+ win season shouldn't be unrealistic with this bunch.
I’d remind folks that every team in the country has every player from last year coming back except for those few players who declared for the daft. every team can rightly say they have more experience than last year.

I’d remind folks that every team in the country has every player from last year coming back except for those few players who declared for the daft. every team can rightly say they have more experience than last year.
That is true, but IU beat every top team in the B1G last season except OSU so according to your "logic" IU should be undefeated going into OSU with a good chance of winning that game.

I find it both ironic, and a sign of confidence, that we're talking about playing a minimum of 4 ranked teams, 3 in the top 10 according to some preseason polls, and some expect at most 2-3 losses. I have as Rose colored glasses as anyone, but you look at our schedule this year and expectations are a 7 win FLOOR?

INCONCEIVABLE

Coach Allen has certainly raised the bar in Bloomington...

So many things are dependent on the FB Gods throughout the course of a B1G season, but this team is built, right now today, to be competative with everyone we play, perhaps even more so than Coach Mal's very best teams. Been a long time since we could honestly look at our program and say that. We probably won't win them all, but we will compete. And it will be because we have a damn good football team.

Depth is a matter of degrees. IU could absorb some injuries here and there across multiple position groups and not be any worse off than last season as far as starter level talent goes. They don't however, probably have that 3rd string depth across the board to move up to 2nd string if they lose a starter and still run at a high level. At that point we might see the old style "play with anyone for 3 quarters then run out of gas" situation we grew so accustomed to watching.
Per position groups with possible “third string depth”?

I think RB & WR has it now. TE getting close and at QB our 3rd string is a 4-star QB who is also a 6’5 stud athlete, so pretty close there too.

On defense given LB is 2 guys, would say we now have it here AND at the Bull. DE is closer now (but I admit no one has truly flashed here at 1-2 string level yet, but good players.) Corner/Safety, feel good about 2-deep but not 3rd level. Same with DT.

I’m sure OSU is basically 3-deep with legit talent, but I’m not sure there are that many other B10 teams truly, solidly strong 3-deep at all positions.

I’d also say IU was Never always nearly this strong across the board at the 2-deep level which is where we would wear down. (Remember the year when Tegray scales & the other LB (who made Cowboys) were starters - IU couldn’t sit them much and they were gassed by Q4. That is NOT the issue today at all on the IU two-deep and that is a huge step up that’s still building but now at 3-deep.

And the overall talent level across the board in our 2-deep is at a much higher level in the past too. It’s why we don’t feel delusional about the potential of a strong year ahead.

Last edited:
I could tell you the answer here why we’ve struggled in bowl games, but you and most other people won’t want to hear it.

I do agree that 7 should be the floor and hopefully we don’t play a SEC team in the bowl game. I expect 9-4.

So are we winning or losing out bowl game?

No way we go 4-8 unless we lose Penix & Tuttle, 3 off linemen, and 3-5 staters on defense to injury!
7-5 is the low water mark with 9-10 being realistic win total (regular season)
Never say never. If we lose Penix, which we have 3 straight years, all bets are off. If we can run the ball this year, then I think the floor is 6 at the very least. That might be a big if tho.

Never say never. If we lose Penix, which we have 3 straight years, all bets are off. If we can run the ball this year, then I think the floor is 6 at the very least. That might be a big if tho.
Agree with you on the run game.

If Oline play can be middle of the pack in the BIG, Tuttle can be a top 5 QB in the conference. Last year pass protection wasn't good, and run blocking wasn't any better.

I don't have a beef with Stevie, but I think we are better off at RB this year than last year. That hopefully will take some pressure and importance off the QB.

With that being said, I really want to see a healthy Penix for a full season, because he is a special player.

Agree with you on the run game.

If Oline play can be middle of the pack in the BIG, Tuttle can be a top 5 QB in the conference. Last year pass protection wasn't good, and run blocking wasn't any better.

I don't have a beef with Stevie, but I think we are better off at RB this year than last year. That hopefully will take some pressure and importance off the QB.

With that being said, I really want to see a healthy Penix for a full season, because he is a special player.
Agree 100%. I liked Stevie(have no idea why he declared), he was so strong & an above average back, I would say. The only criticism I have is that if you hit him low, around his feet/lower legs, he went down too easily for a back of his size & stength.

Agree 100%. I liked Stevie(have no idea why he declared), he was so strong & an above average back, I would say. The only criticism I have is that if you hit him low, around his feet/lower legs, he went down too easily for a back of his size & stength.
Agree completely. He felt like Edgerin James after his ACL injury. He could take a 1 yard gain, and make it a 4 yard gain. But he could also take a 12 yard gain and turn it into a 4 yard gain.

Reactions: Pigalow

Please don’t bring your crap from the hoops board over here.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I am optimistic, yet realistic and that first game at Iowa is going to be very hard to win in my opinion. If they do, I see a great season ahead, but if they lose I could see it setting the tone for a return to normalcy for IU. After so many years of a poor product with IU football it's great to consider however the Hoosiers can go in and win one at Iowa City that wouldn't have even been a realistic option a couple of years ago.

I want to see IU go into Iowa City and dominate the game from start to finish. Put a beat down on them never letting them get back in the game. It is likely to be close than that but I can dream about IU controlling the game.

I want to see IU go into Iowa City and dominate the game from start to finish. Put a beat down on them never letting them get back in the game. It is likely to be close than that but I can dream about IU controlling the game.
Iowa lost a lot of key personnel from last year's crew. There's probably going to be a drop-off somewhere...That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Penix doesn't torch them.

Indiana needs to take respect by thumping Iowa. That will shut down the doubters and we've got the team to do that, no doubt about it.

I believe his position would be that it depends. If the other team we’re playing is from the SEC we’re losing. Not saying that I agree with that of course.

So we'd be 9-3 and in a upper bowl, so a SEC team, so he would have us losing.

That is true, but IU beat every top team in the B1G last season except OSU so according to your "logic" IU should be undefeated going into OSU with a good chance of winning that game.
All I said was every team has more experience this year.

Agree completely. He felt like Edgerin James after his ACL injury. He could take a 1 yard gain, and make it a 4 yard gain. But he could also take a 12 yard gain and turn it into a 4 yard gain.
That's the old Leroy Hoard philosophy: "you need 1 yard?? I'll getcha 3 yards. You need 5 yards? I'll getcha 3 yards.".

• Haha
Reactions: Andy06
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT