ADVERTISEMENT

The Premonition

Well, Lewis's goal is to paint a target on the CDC, so yeah, I think that. I'd like to hear a response from CDC, though. I do think Lewis does a great job, as usual, of pointing out the misaligned incentives within the CDC and most governmental agencies.

(For the partisans who must make this about Trump or not-Trump, Lewis is not criticizing the CDC to absolve Trump. These two things can both be true: (1) Trump's reaction was not good; and (2) the CDC response was not good through no fault of Trump's. Which leads to another possible truth: a Democratic President's response might have not really saved that many lives because her decision would have been based on the same, faulty CDC. And another, covered in Lewis's previous book, The Fifth Risk: Trump's biggest Achilles heel might have been not paying attention to and neglecting the underlying appointments of boring positions within various governmental agencies that are a lot more important than most of us think.)

the CDC is a govt agency, and only functions in the interests of the citizenry first, if the govt's first interest is the citizenry.

the very second money is allowed to buy govt, govt loses the power to function in the citizenry's best interest, even when the will of many in govt is to do so.

the CDC no doubt has serious follow the money issues, as China, big pharma, who knows who, and any moneyed interest funding anyone at the CDC outside the govt, (and no doubt there are many), now crowd their way in front of the citizenry on the "beholden to" hierarchy.

and Wall St who owns the govt more than the citizenry now, is joined at the hip with China, and totally subservient to China whether they like it or not.

big pharma has huge influence over our media, and they get that influence the old fashion way.

and China has it's financial tentacles in the think tanks and the universities as well.

our covid response had a lot of masters to serve besides the citizenry and the truth.

and while we'll never see it in a million yrs, what we need is full blown forensic audit into all the money that was flowing into the lab, and to everyone with influence over the lab, all the way down to the original source of said money, no matter how many hands it flowed through prior to reaching Wuhan and to those who had control over the lab.

to understand our entire response to covid, and to the lab itself, and it's agenda, and how and why it operated as it did, start with follow the money.

the CDC is a govt agency, and only functions in the interests of the citizenry first, if the govt's first interest is the citizenry.

the very second money is allowed to buy govt, govt loses the power to function in the citizenry's best interest, even when the will of many in govt is to do so.

the CDC no doubt has serious follow the money issues, as China, big pharma, who knows who, and any moneyed interest funding anyone at the CDC outside the govt, (and no doubt there are many), now crowd their way in front of the citizenry on the "beholden to" hierarchy.

and Wall St who owns the govt more than the citizenry now, is joined at the hip with China, and totally subservient to China whether they like it or not.

big pharma has huge influence over our media, and they get that influence the old fashion way.

and China has it's financial tentacles in the think tanks and the universities as well.

our covid response had a lot of masters to serve besides the citizenry and the truth.

and while we'll never see it in a million yrs, what we need is full blown forensic audit into all the money that was flowing into the lab, and to everyone with influence over the lab, all the way down to the original source of said money, no matter how many hands it flowed through prior to reaching Wuhan and to those who had control over the lab.

to understand our entire response to covid, and to the lab itself, and it's agenda, and how and why it operated as it did, start with follow the money.
I haven't finished the book but Lewis hasn't suggested a financial link like this. Instead, he writes about how the CDC has incentives to be "right" after the fact more than they have an incentive to try to stop something happening as it happens (and thus, maybe, be wrong). It's more along the lines of the CDC becoming too much of an academic institution, built on prestige, rather than an organization driven by speed and on-the-ground reaction.

I don't think these are problems with capitalism. I think the same things could occur in the Soviet Union (see the TV series Chernobyl).

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT