ADVERTISEMENT

Supply chains

So doesn’t that throw cold water on the argument that UI is keeping people from taking these jobs? Max UI in Indiana is $390 and the average is $280 per week. That’s poverty level.

This current labor market is very confusing right now. There is no singular answer.
it's not just UI. it's stimulus checks, eviction stays, ui, childcare tax credits as checks instead of write-offs. there's been a ton of free money the last year. warehouse jobs and many service sector jobs are low paying. you can't be evicted, you're getting unemployment insurance at a rate more than what you were making, you get stimulus checks, and you get child credit checks there's not a lot of point in going back to your $9.50 an hour warehouse stacking job.

i do not believe people were working those jobs for personal fulfillment/enrichment. they did so because they needed money. then they didn't. on top of all of that free money in the form of actual checks and/or abatements, they weren't going out so they were saving it.

i suspect that if the free money dries up people will go back to work. if you're a 50 yr old woman living in a factory town you aren't going out and getting a new education/career/relocating.

Last edited:
So doesn’t that throw cold water on the argument that UI is keeping people from taking these jobs? Max UI in Indiana is $390 and the average is $280 per week. That’s poverty level.

This current labor market is very confusing right now. There is no singular answer.
Yes it throws cold water on it. There’s a singular answer. It’s not hard.

it's not just UI. it's stimulus checks, eviction stays, ui, childcare tax credits as checks instead of write-offs. there's been a ton of free money the last year. warehouse jobs and many service sector jobs are low paying. you can't be evicted, you're getting unemployment insurance at a rate more than what you were making, you get stimulus checks, and you get child credit checks there's not a lot of point in going back to your $9.50 an hour warehouse stacking job.

i do not believe people were working those jobs for personal fulfillment/enrichment. they did so because they needed money. then they didn't. on top of all of that free money in the form of actual checks and/or abatements, they weren't going out so they were saving it.

i suspect that if the free money dries up people will go back to work. if you're a 50 yr old woman living in a factory town you aren't going out and getting a new education/career/relocating.

I could be wrong, but depending on where people live, hasn't the eviction moratorium expired?

Reactions: UncleMark

There are a LOT of factors. US new business creation was at a record level last year and this year is even higher so far:

So people leave the workforce and start their own businesses. That's sort of a Republican dream normally. But it does mean fewer people to do jobs for others.

A lot of people over 55 have just left the workforce. Now some may have started a business, but many appear to have just decided it was time to leave:

I was reading another link, cannot find it, that older workers that want back in aren't finding it easy. Jobs asking for "at least 3 years experience" don't think 30 years counts.

The childcare shortage was already a problem, and costs were high. It is worse.

If someone basically pays their day's wage for childcare, what's the point of the job? It is believed this is why women left the workforce more than men. But it can be more than childcare, aging parents need care too. Home health care for adults has also been a cost burden and fraught with shortages pre-covid. It is worse now. Again, it is more likely for women to leave work to help an elderly parent.

We've been through the problem with the trucking industry, there have been growing shortages the last ten years. But with everything else running well it covered up the problem. Working drivers overtime allowed everything to get through. What happens when they cannot work more overtime?

Now certainly there are people staying home because they have their stimulus check and don't need to work. But that $1200 doesn't last forever. Most states no longer pay more for unemployment, again that money should be running out. People left the workforce in September, which was after the additional UE ended in many states.

There are a lot of factors, and solving any one doesn't necessarily put us back to where we want to be.

There are a LOT of factors. US new business creation was at a record level last year and this year is even higher so far:

So people leave the workforce and start their own businesses. That's sort of a Republican dream normally. But it does mean fewer people to do jobs for others.

A lot of people over 55 have just left the workforce. Now some may have started a business, but many appear to have just decided it was time to leave:

I was reading another link, cannot find it, that older workers that want back in aren't finding it easy. Jobs asking for "at least 3 years experience" don't think 30 years counts.

If someone basically pays their day's wage for childcare, what's the point of the job? It is believed this is why women left the workforce more than men. But it can be more than childcare, aging parents need care too. Home health care for adults has also been a cost burden and fraught with shortages pre-covid. It is worse now. Again, it is more likely for women to leave work to help an elderly parent.

We've been through the problem with the trucking industry, there have been growing shortages the last ten years. But with everything else running well it covered up the problem. Working drivers overtime allowed everything to get through. What happens when they cannot work more overtime?

Now certainly there are people staying home because they have their stimulus check and don't need to work. But that $1200 doesn't last forever. Most states no longer pay more for unemployment, again that money should be running out. People left the workforce in September, which was after the additional UE ended in many states.

There are a lot of factors, and solving any one doesn't necessarily put us back to where we want to be.
For sure there are lots of factors. if all the assistance and stays dry up, coupled w/ inflation i presume a portion of that group sitting on the sidelines will return to work out of necessity. no one got rich off public aid. maybe we need to revisit some of the strictures that attend licensing and look into other deregs too to facilitate a return to work in some industries

Child care is absolutely ridiculous.

My sitter, who is awesome by the way, charges us $150 a week for 2 hours a day during the week. The kick is she also charges us that during the summer for 8 hours and provides lunch, so we take the good with the bad.

We're very fortunate in that regard.

Child care is absolutely ridiculous.

My sitter, who is awesome by the way, charges us $150 a week for 2 hours a day during the week. The kick is she also charges us that during the summer for 8 hours and provides lunch, so we take the good with the bad.

We're very fortunate in that regard.
It's bad but there are also tons of very cheap neighborhood options. Spooky perhaps but reality.

Mcm lives in Chicago's shittiest suburb (STL).
But even in that suburb he has a nice bathroom... :)
iu

Mcm lives in Chicago's shittiest suburb (STL).

We see a three story building and some jaywalking. Every now then, someone will get popped for drugs. But there are plenty of fields once outside of the city where I live.

We really know how to party in Auburn, Indiana.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Lying Psaki and pete are a perfect combo of incompetence and dishonesty. It's impossible for them to come out and say the truth: people sat home and saved their money during the pandemic because they couldn't go to restaurants or games, and we gave them free money on top of the money they were already saving, so they've bought a ton of shit online. more than ever before. they also realized that they didn't need or want to drive trucks or stack shelves in a smelly, dusty warehouse anymore. we're figuring out what to do; it's been delayed a bit as pete took a couple months off. but he's back now trying to catch up

Bam easy

you're more than welcome to go fill one of those truck driving/shelve stacking jobs.

that said, i remember when "the market" was considered the answer for everything.

that said, never buy all the excuses Wall St makes for why things aren't running smoothly.

anything given to the press about the supply chain issues, has been fully crafted by corporate PR propaganda types, for whom truth and full disclosure are not priority one.

and if you're pushing driverless trucks and getting pushback, what better strategy than to create a truck driver shortage.

not sayin, just sayin.

just because corporate nation says something, doesn't make it true.

on a side note, not that long ago when the price of oil was sky high, that tanker ships couldn't even dock and unload their oil, because literally every cubic inch of oil storage everywhere was already full.

literally no place to put it, the market was so over saturated.

and yet the price of oil was still sky high, despite the massive glut.

Last edited:

of course what you failed to mention, is that the pandemic assistance to the working class due to covid, literally pales in comparison to the handouts given to the billionaires and investor class from infinite quantitative easing by the Fed.

you're more than welcome to go fill one of those truck driving/shelve stacking jobs.

that said, i remember when "the market" was considered the answer for everything.

that said, never buy all the excuses Wall St makes for why things aren't running smoothly.

anything given to the press about the supply chain issues, has been fully crafted by corporate PR propaganda types, for whom truth and full disclosure are not priority one.

on a side note, not that long ago when the price of oil was sky high, that tanker ships couldn't even dock and unload their oil, because every cubic inch of oil storage everywhere was already full.

literally no place to put it.

and yet the price of oil was still sky high, despite the massive glut.
If Americans don't want the jobs let's give em to these immigrants so desperate to come. I know a ton of Bosnians working production and owner/operator truckers. They've done well for themselves. And they work their asses off. Seems to me if these folks at the southern border fight that hard to get here they'd be happy to sit behind the wheel of an air conditioned truck.

The rest of your post is a rerun that should be canceled

The rest of your post is a rerun that should be canceled

would certainly be a shame for truth to get in the way of corporate agendas.

why truth needs cancelled, whenever it becomes inconvenient to bottom line potential..

keep up the good work. some billionaire somewhere needs a new yacht, and a fifth beach house.

would certainly be a shame for truth to get in the way of corporate agendas.

why truth needs cancelled, whenever it becomes inconvenient to bottom line potential..

keep up the good work. some billionaire somewhere needs a new yacht, and a fifth beach house.
mhmm. let's tackle one thing at a time. Let's get to the bottom of who bombed the surfside condo then we'll take on wall st

IGW, the proletariat, who you are always going to bat for, suffer the most from supply chain crunches and rising prices.

I see California has decided to look for roads that the max weight can be increased on 2) identify new land for storage of containers and 3) look to increase partnership with truck driving schools to train more drivers.

The CNN article says CA restricts 5 axles to 34,000 pounds. But that has to be for state roads, right? The federal is 80,000. But if this happens and trucks are able to leave with double what they now carry, I would think that would make quit a difference.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I see California has decided to look for roads that the max weight can be increased on 2) identify new land for storage of containers and 3) look to increase partnership with truck driving schools to train more drivers.

The CNN article says CA restricts 5 axles to 34,000 pounds. But that has to be for state roads, right? The federal is 80,000. But if this happens and trucks are able to leave with double what they now carry, I would think that would make quit a difference.

That will probably happen about the time the problem is fixed.

Reactions: stollcpa
The same problems are happening everywhere, supply chains are breaking in almost every country. I posted above that ports in Asia are more backed up than the Port of LA. China is desperately short of factory workers. Russian rail can't keep up. The EU has a major shortage of truck drivers.

The world came out of a steep recession very quickly. The supply chains couldn't keep up. No one thought through what would happen if just in time wasn't.
Maybe an unforeseen problem with all the free trade and getting cheap shit from China? Maybe we shouldn’t have moved all of our manufacturing overseas.

Maybe an unforeseen problem with all the free trade and getting cheap shit from China? Maybe we shouldn’t have moved all of our manufacturing overseas.

Which leads to the chicken/egg argument. Way back when, 1985, WalMart tried being the "made in America" company. But even they discovered people would buy cheap foreign elsewhere before buying American at WalMart. I don't doubt that corporations shoulder some of the blame, but we all did this.

Germany has managed to keep much manufacturing by claiming the high end. American manufacturing wanted the cheap end, but it couldn't be done at American costs. I don't know why America didn't want our own version of BMW or Bosch. It could have kept manufacturing here even if for a smaller audience.

Which leads to the chicken/egg argument. Way back when, 1985, WalMart tried being the "made in America" company. But even they discovered people would buy cheap foreign elsewhere before buying American at WalMart. I don't doubt that corporations shoulder some of the blame, but we all did this.

Germany has managed to keep much manufacturing by claiming the high end. American manufacturing wanted the cheap end, but it couldn't be done at American costs. I don't know why America didn't want our own version of BMW or Bosch. It could have kept manufacturing here even if for a smaller audience.

More than 80 percent of the products sold at Walmart are made in China. The cost of manufacturing those goods here would be astronomical and price out a significant portion of our population. The truth re manufacturing is we can't have our cake and eat it too

More than 80 percent of the products sold at Walmart are made in China. The cost of manufacturing those goods here would be astronomical and price out a significant portion of our population. The truth re manufacturing is we can't have our cake and eat it too
Wal-Mart sure didn't have any trouble aggressively pricing out mom and pop stores in Small Town, USA.
Maybe even more so than Covid.

Wal-Mart sure didn't have any trouble aggressively pricing out mom and pop stores in Small Town, USA.
I know it sucks. It's the ultimate catch 22. But look at the difference in prices. It's hard not to buy from Walmart when you don't have a lot of dough. My industry crosses a few manufacturing sectors. And on higher end more expensive shit there's still some manufacturing taking place. There's a company called demoulin in Greenville Illinois still cranking out band gear. Most of that would go to Pakistan or Vietnam or China but because the uniforms are so expensive they can build in margins and manufacture here. If you compete with Nike for instance forget it. They are so cheap you have to go overseas. But premium stuff still has some life here. Up until five years ago the SEC under armour football uniforms were made in Missouri

Oh I don’t believe we shoulder some of the blame, I believe we as consumers shoulder most of the blame. We all wanted cheap shit.

If Pete can't show up to work and sort this transportation out we may see more production in the US as a byproduct. Customers won't wait three months for orders.

Good fast cheap pick 2 is becoming pick 1

lmao.

what a total and complete crock of sht as to costs being astronomical.

if everyone, not just Walmart, was forced to sell American, our economy would be far better today than it is.

the wealth disparity would be much less, and the working and middle classes would be far better off.. just as they were prior to our manufacturing being offshored.

and more importantly, we wouldn't be totally at the mercy of China.

the provider always owns total control over the provided for.

hypersonic rockets aren't our big national defense concern with China.

they could cut off all our meds tomorrow, and most everything else we depend on, and there is nothing we could do about it.

we absolutely are China's bitch.

but hey, our legislators are heavily invested in the market, their campaigns aren't funded by Joe Citizen, and legislators' priorities are their own self interests, not Joe Citizen's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Walmart did great when being the "made in America" company.

but doing great isn't what it's about.

"more" and more and more and more, is what it's about.

can another dime be squeezed out, is what it's about.

You sound like the Donald with all that protectionist trade policy talk.

not everything Trump says is wrong.

and he only adopted that stanch, because be saw how well received Bernie was with it.

that's where the Dems lost 2016, when the DNC forced Bernie out in favor of Hilary, and lost much of the white working class vote in the process.

when the Democratic party was the party of the working class, they held the senate and congress for almost 50 plus yrs straight.

Wall St fixed that problem by buying the DNC as well, and added it to their portfolio which had included the RNC for decades more.

if ya can't beat em, just buy em.

problem solved.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT