ADVERTISEMENT

How government doesn’t work

How government does work
Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House. One is from Chicago, another is from Kentucky, and the third is from New Orleans.

All three go with a White House official to examine the fence.

The New Orleans contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil.

“Well,” he says, “I figure the job will run about $9,000. That’s $4,000 for materials, $4,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me.”

The Kentucky contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, “I can do this job for $7,000. That’s $3,000 for materials, $3,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me.”

The Chicago contractor doesn’t measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, “$27,000.”

The official, incredulous, says: “You didn’t even measure like the other guys. How did you come up with such a high figure? ”

The Chicago contractor whispers back: “$10,000 for me, $10,000 for you, and we hire the guy from Kentucky to fix the fence.”

“Done!” replies the government official.

And that, my friends, is how the $3.5 trillion Build Back Better legislation will work.

Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House. One is from Chicago, another is from Kentucky, and the third is from New Orleans.

The New Orleans contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil.

“Well,” he says, “I figure the job will run about $9,000. That’s $4,000 for materials, $4,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me.”

The Kentucky contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, “I can do this job for $7,000. That’s $3,000 for materials, $3,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me.”

The Chicago contractor doesn’t measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, “$27,000.”

The official, incredulous, says: “You didn’t even measure like the other guys. How did you come up with such a high figure? ”

The Chicago contractor whispers back: “$10,000 for me, $10,000 for you, and we hire the guy from Kentucky to fix the fence.”

And that, my friends, is how the $3.5 trillion Build Back Better legislation will work.
First time I heard that joke was in Shanghai, from a “boss man”, with government officials in the Chicago contractor role…

Reactions: dr.jb
Just couldn't help yourself.

Now, someone will bring up how Trump was gone almost every week to play golf, and someone else will reply with TDS. Then you'll tell someone to go fack themselves, and we are right back where we started.
🙁
Trump can be criticized for many things. I don’t think his work ethic is one of them.

Trump can be criticized for many things. I don’t think his work ethic is one of them.

If the reports can be believed, Trump didn't spend much time actually working even when he was in the White House. Big blocks of "executive time" made up a good portion of his calendar.

If the reports can be believed, Trump didn't spend much time actually working even when he was in the White House. Big blocks of "executive time" made up a good portion of his calendar.
He's 75. I'd be shocked if he put in 4 hours a day. What time is biden putting a lid on it. These guys are old. Pete is 39. I had a kid at 39. Cannot imagine going "offline" for a month and taking salary. The other partners would have baker acted me. He's an entitled pos. Me me me

He's 75. I'd be shocked if he put in 4 hours a day. What time is biden putting a lid on it. These guys are old. Pete is 39. I had a kid at 39. Cannot imagine going "offline" for a month and taking salary. The other partners would have baker acted me. He's an entitled pos. Me me me

Or it is generational. There was a time dads wanted little involvement. Children are to be seen, not heard. That has changed, and continues to change. Google millennials work life balance.

I am an old boomer, I was far more involved in my kids life than my dad was in mine. But I still prioritized work. I actually applaud seeing that change.

Reactions: UncleMark
Or it is generational. There was a time dads wanted little involvement. Children are to be seen, not heard. That has changed, and continues to change. Google millennials work life balance.

I am an old boomer, I was far more involved in my kids life than my dad was in mine. But I still prioritized work. I actually applaud seeing that change.
And honestly I'm okay with that. But not all careers afford that luxury. You may not get to have certain careers. And don't ask your employer to pay for your life choice. Leave FMLA as it is

This
thread is too funny. A bunch of aholes whining about someone taking leave when they spend countless hours posting crap on this board. McM is the leader of wasted time on this board. The only reason to visit this place every so often is for a good laugh.

This

thread is too funny. A bunch of aholes whining about someone taking leave when they spend countless hours posting crap on this board. McM is the leader of wasted time on this board. The only reason to visit this place every so often is for a good laugh.
Hey, lay off. It's obvious mcm works long hours. How else could he afford his sbx habit? :D

• Haha
Reactions: Circlejoe
This

I love how the aholes are the ones who don't expect to be paid for staying home and not working....

As to Buttigieg. I liked the guy but if he's really even 50% working at this point it shows a bit of a curious lack of awareness. Like you'd said. You gotta be in the office. You gotta be the face. Even if you ain't doing shit. I honestly hope this doesn't hurt his chances down the road but I think it'll get trotted out if he runs for anything. I hope he's got an answer. Would be a lot easier if these transportation issues resolve themselves sooner rather than later.
I would assume that he's intelligent enough to know that the babies were coming so he should have just turned the job down if it was gonna take a lot of his time which he wanted to spend with his family.

He did take some time to send some mean tweets.

Boy, what I would give for some $2.19 gas and some mean tweets.
I’m sure that was all it was. If you actually believe that I don’t know what to tell you.

The minimum wage in New York is $15 an hour. A married couple in New York each working full time at minimum wage jobs would earn more than $60k a year.
Shows that many of these boomer reps are out of touch. Families are scrapping even at $70-80k+ in areas where COL is crazy, which is most places if you look at the housing/rental market.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Shows that many of these boomer reps are out of touch. Families are scrapping even at $70-80k+ in areas where COL is crazy, which is most places if you look at the housing/rental market.
Then move. Problem solved.

Spartans is right. Big difference between $60k in nyc and Bloomington Indiana. I support income caps but they aren't easy at the fed level
People move all the time to better themselves. Why should the federal government subsidize NYC lifestyles?

If you mean I'm dumb enough to stay in an area I can't afford, then no, I'm not.
What others reasons come to mind? Like why would people and families stay and/or why would they be pushed out from their home?

And is that a good or bad thing?

I would assume that he's intelligent enough to know that the babies were coming so he should have just turned the job down if it was gonna take a lot of his time which he wanted to spend with his family.
Tough situation for him. He's on the cusp of making it outside the bounds of South Bend. Kinda gotta take it. But, he should have stayed on the job.

What others reasons come to mind? Like why would people and families stay and/or why would they be pushed out from their home?

And is that a good or bad thing?
So the federal government should subsidize you for wanting to stay in the same place, is what you are saying.

We have this thing today called the internet that allows you to stay in touch with friends and family.

This makes for a nice story as proven by the "likes" it received, but does our system really work this way?

Our system may have some corruption. However compared to other countries and parts of the world, we aren't too bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT