ADVERTISEMENT

How government doesn’t work

I was more responding to the idea of "leaving the ship while it's sinking" in NPT's post to which you'd responded. I've seen it at both large and mid sized companies. Not so much at smaller companies (mostly family owned so, where are they gonna go anyway. Those folks are kinda forced to deal with whatever problem arises).

As to Buttigieg. I liked the guy but if he's really even 50% working at this point it shows a bit of a curious lack of awareness. Like you'd said. You gotta be in the office. You gotta be the face. Even if you ain't doing shit. I honestly hope this doesn't hurt his chances down the road but I think it'll get trotted out if he runs for anything. I hope he's got an answer. Would be a lot easier if these transportation issues resolve themselves sooner rather than later.
Exactly. You gotta be in the office. You gotta show your face. I wouldn't vote for him for dog catcher. He's just another member of the squad

IC’s are paid by the load and waiting in lines is an issue.. But the solution is not to legislate them out of existence but to figure out ways adjust the compensation. Indeed the bottlenecks have multiple causes which government needs to address ion a system-wide basis, not just keeping ports unloading 24/7.

Yes, this problem existed for a while only to recently explode into a crisis. Makes ya wonder what our federal department of transportation does all day.
I believe our transportation secretary is busy taking baby pictures from a hospital bed with his “man”.

I believe our transportation secretary is busy taking baby pictures from a hospital bed with his “man”.

He got busted sitting home on his ass from his paid leave $250k public service job (which is nothing but a gift as he has zero experience) so yesterday he was out trying to do PR control and is now "ramping up" up to get back to work. Complete joke. While his boss is telling people we need to work 24/7. As COH wrote you can't make this stuff up. And these people want 3.5 trillion. This administration is a disaster.

Last edited:
But importing is so damn cheap.

Anyway that's what I'm seeing here, an efficient supply chain that's struggling to handle disruptions to historical patterns.

In my previous job I handled the purchasing and logistics of the bulk purchases we made of components. It wasn't a lot compared to what you're talking about, I'm sure, usually just a handful of pallets at a time, far less than a container load. (We also did a ton of small package importing, but that came in via FedEx air.) Even before Covid, it was always a crap shoot. Management wanted me to wait until the last minute to order, but then got all sideways when there was a delay and we found ourselves in a bind over one of those critical items. I'm glad I got out before all this shit hit. Threading the needle was tough enough without the needle moving all over the place like it is today.

He got busted sitting home on his ass from his paid leave $250k public service job (which is nothing but a gift as he has zero experience) so yesterday he was out trying to do PR control and is now "ramping up" up to get back to work. Complete joke. While his boss is telling people we need to work 24/7. As COH wrote you can't make this stuff up. And these people want 3.5 trillion. This administration is a disaster.
Boots is going to Glasgow for the UN climate summit. I already know what will be said there, he doesn’t need to attend. . That is just a junket. That would the time to stay home and play new daddy.

Other cabinet secretaries are going too to party with world elites. Meanwhile the border is about to be inundated, the energy economy is a disaster, supply chains are busted all to hell, and inflation is out of control. Our national government truly no longer works.

In my previous job I handled the purchasing and logistics of the bulk purchases we made of components. It wasn't a lot compared to what you're talking about, I'm sure, usually just a handful of pallets at a time, far less than a container load. (We also did a ton of small package importing, but that came in via FedEx air.) Even before Covid, it was always a crap shoot. Management wanted me to wait until the last minute to order, but then got all sideways when there was a delay and we found ourselves in a bind over one of those critical items. I'm glad I got out before all this shit hit. Threading the needle was tough enough without the needle moving all over the place like it is today.
FedEx is rerouting 600,000 packages a day due to labor shortages. We ended up switching entirely over the last few weeks to Dhl which is no picnic because they don't deliver on weekends.

But hey IRS is sending out $15 billion more in checks this week

Boots is going to Glasgow for the UN climate summit. I already know what will be said there, he doesn’t need to attend. . That is just a junket. That would the time to stay home and play new daddy.

Other cabinet secretaries are going too to party with world elites. Meanwhile the border is about to be inundated, the energy economy is a disaster, supply chains are busted all to hell, and inflation is out of control. Our national government truly no longer works.

Worthless. Totally worthless people. Guy is making $250k. Get a nanny. Set up a daycare at work. You can afford it. Bring the kid to work. But go to ****ing work. What is wrong with these people

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
FedEx is rerouting 600,000 packages a day due to labor shortages. We ended up switching entirely over the last few weeks to Dhl which is no picnic because they don't deliver on weekends.
Years ago we tried using DHL for our outgoing small package shipments. It was a disaster.
But hey IRS is sending out $15 billion more in checks this week
Gotta keep you breeders happy.

Worthless. Totally worthless people. Guy is making $250k. Get a nanny. Set up a daycare at work. You can afford it. Bring the kid to work. But go to ****ing work. What is wrong with these people
I don’t think Boits and several others give a shit about their jobs or the functions of their cabinet-level agencies. They are 100% focused on advancing the Democrat agenda.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Years ago we tried using DHL for our outgoing small package shipments. It was a disaster.

Gotta keep you breeders happy.
Dhl has started putting their expected delivery date WAY out and then they message the customer. The second the customer gets it they immediately call and rip us a new one. And the delivery is there sooner 99 percent of the time. That fing expected delivery date is a real bitch

Ronald Reagan once said, "Government isn't the solution to our problems, government is the problem".

IMO government isn't the solution to most of the problems outlined in this thread which only free enterprise and the marketplace can solve. Having said that, I do realize the marketplace is greatly influenced by a global economy which does require trade diplomacy.

Finally, Covid may be part of the problem, but our shipping and transportation of goods problems have been growing for years.

Ronald Reagan once said, "Government isn't the solution to our problems, government is the problem".

IMO government isn't the solution to most of the problems outlined in this thread which only free enterprise and the marketplace can solve. Having said that, I do realize the marketplace is greatly influenced by a global economy which does require trade diplomacy.

Finally, Covid may be part of the problem, but our shipping and transportation of goods problems have been growing for years.
I don't blame gov for these logistics issues. People sat home and ordered more shit than usual. I do believe gov has contributed to the labor shortage with all the free cheese but I have no idea to what extent. Some people simply decided post pandemic they want a difft path.

The issue I have, and have now belabored, is Pete sitting home during this crisis making $250k while his boss is telling people to work 24/7. Pete is evincing entitled bs behavior. Again he might as well join the squad when his stint ripping off taxpayers ends. Public service....

No! Their jobs are to see that their agencies perform. Boots, Mayorkas, Blinken, and Granholm et al are not doing their jobs. I don’t think they have the ability to do their jobs.
What are they doing to advance the "agenda" that is not doing their jobs?

And what would you suggest he be doing? What steps can DOT take to alleviate this situation?
Then my question is why have him? If they don't need him and he's not capable of doing anything then get rid of him. I know when I was working there were times that I could not get off and my employer was very flexible for the most part and I think that is true for most places. But in the end I think it's more perception than anything.... you want to see a leader lead so that means being on the job when there's major problems.

Then my question is why have him? If they don't need him and he's not capable of doing anything then get rid of him. I know when I was working there were times that I could not get off and my employer was very flexible for the most part and I think that is true for most places. But in the end I think it's more perception than anything.... you want to see a leader lead so that means being on the job when there's major problems.
Exactly. Or pay him $50k and call it a ceremonial appt. Gov....

Reactions: DANC
Except he wasn't. It said he was offline except for important meetings and anything that couldn't be delegated.

I don't know how much he actually worked in those four weeks. Neither do you.
He took paid paternity leave. Two months. That's not been disputed. The NYT said he was "mostly offline" for a month. In his own words he wrote re paid paternity leave "...it's another thing to live it."

Hackery is trying to spin it. The guy has been on two months paternity leave when the country is in crisis involving matters that fall directly under his agency. He'd been at the job, a $250k job, for 8 months when he decided to take two off then got outed and now is doing damage control. All while the admin is crying for companies to go 24/7. Hackery is defending this. It's entitlement. It's different rules. It's selfish bs. That we are paying for.

What he's doing is lawful. Because you can doesn't mean you should. I wouldn't vote for him for dog catcher now

If I were biden I'd have his ass sitting on a chair at the port 18 hours a day with the CFR on his lap trying to figure out how to help

Last edited:
He took paid paternity leave. Two months. That's not been disputed. The NYT said he was "mostly offline" for a month. In his own words he wrote re paid paternity leave "...it's another thing to live it."

Hackery is trying to spin it. The guy has been on two months paternity leave when the country is in crisis involving matters that fall directly under his agency. He'd been at the job, a $250k job, for 8 months when he decided to take two off then got outed and now is doing damage control. All while the admin is crying for companies to go 24/7. Hackery is defending this. It's entitlement. It's different rules. It's selfish bs. That we are paying for.

What he's doing is lawful. Because you can doesn't mean you should. I wouldn't vote for him for dog catcher now
Again, we don't know how much he actually worked during his leave. You are all too willing to rush to judgment.

Again, we don't know how much he actually worked during his leave. You are all too willing to rush to judgment.
I'm going off his own words and that he took two months leave. Have you seen him the last two months? Giving briefings? At the port? Standing with truckers? No. He's home and he got caught.

I give up.
He's commenting about how great paternity leave is, not "don't worry people i'm logging 16 hours a day still!!!"

It broaches a different subject. A different way of thinking. A different mentality. never would I in a million years take a $250,000 salary and take two months off. I wouldn't do it in year 30 of the job much less after 8 months. And I would never expect someone to pay for it. He is doing brazenly by his comments, at the worst possible time.

Last edited:
He's commenting about how great paternity leave is, not "don't worry people i'm logging 16 hours a day still!!!"

It broaches a different subject. A different way of thinking. A different mentality. never would I in a million years take a $250,000 salary and take two months off. I wouldn't do it in year 30 of the job much less after 8 months. And I would never expect someone to pay for it. He is doing brazenly by his comments, at the worst possible time.
I'm guessing that there is a bit of a defiance to right wing demands going on because this 'crisis' didn't happen two weeks ago, it's been going on and building for over a year.

I posted Pete identifying and working with the private sector from July on the bottlenecks. Right wing attack dogs started amplifying it during his paternity leave (which was smart gamesmanship on their part to be honest).

As far as adoption, I don't know the process so I'm not sure how it can be timed. Being a lifelong retail guy it would have been more convenient for the season to have been last spring as that's kind of the dead period but, I'm not sure how much power they had on timing.

I can already tell politically by his reaction is he'll appeal to parenthood, as he already supports both parents being able to take leave. He's political superpower is his calm, communication skills (he's really good at talking issues emotionally in a calm manner while not completely offending the other side with fiery insults and he can pretty easily evoke an emotion out of a key base with this, suburban women along with millennial voters so, I'm guessing that will be his tact.

Something to look for as he gets attacked on this.

• Haha

You wouldn't do it because you have a responsibility to those who are under your org chain. They are
deserving of you being there, you get it, I get it, we get it. The peon's of DOT get it.
DC appointed ppl don't get it.
We either elect more of them, "bend over" people and assimilate, or there is a 2022 Boston massacre for freedom.
I'm heading to Boston myself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT