ADVERTISEMENT

Ware

I’ve read Ware has been really good in individual workouts for teams. Possibly top 12 pick. Great for him, Woodson, and IU. Get paid big fella
I hope this young man cashes in in top 12. He worked extremely hard at IU and was treated wrongly at Oregon. I'm rooting for ya, Mr. Ware.

I hope this young man cashes in in top 12. He worked extremely hard at IU and was treated wrongly at Oregon. I'm rooting for ya, Mr. Ware.
Was he treated wrongly?

My perception is he wasn't mature enough, physically or mentally, to beat out a couple really good, older bigs at Oregon. He decided to change the scenery...and from his experiences at Oregon, combined with Woodson's efforts, he grew and matured incredibly at IU.

He's 7' with the skills the NBA values, simple as that. I thought it was odd when some mock drafts had him in the 2nd round. Hopefully he has a nice pro career.

He was a no nonsense worker at IU and also played through injury. I don't see why he can't keep improving quite a bit in the league.

Last edited:
Was he treated wrongly?

My perception is he wasn't mature enough, physically or mentally, to beat out a couple really good, older bigs at Oregon. He decided to change the scenery...and from his experiences at Oregon, combined with Woodson's efforts, he grew and matured incredibly at IU.
Oregon may have done him a favor, sometimes getting humbled is what a kid needs, the change of scenery also came with a million dollars.

He was also a freshman at Oregon, and it's probably as simple as freshman need time to adjust to high level college ball. Sophomores make big improvements all the time and what do you know that's what happened here.

I’m not saying IU didn’t help him, this is more about why he struggled at Oregon.

Last edited:
He was also a freshman at Oregon, and it's probably as simple as freshman need time to adjust to high level college ball. Sophomores make big improvements all the time and what do you know that's what happened here.
This narrative also benefits IU a hole heck of a lot more than..."he was great all along, and was just treated wrongly at Oregon."

If Ballo were to evolve this year, and play his way in to more serious draft consideration, Woodson should start to get the pick of the portal and HS litter when it comes to available athletic bigs. He already has to have put himself on nearly all high level bigs radars with what TJD has done, and how Ware improved.

This narrative also benefits IU a hole heck of a lot more than..."he was great all along, and was just treated wrongly at Oregon."

If Ballo were to evolve this year, and play his way in to more serious draft consideration, Woodson should start to get the pick of the portal and HS litter when it comes to available athletic bigs. He already has to have put himself on nearly all high level bigs radars with what TJD has done, and how Ware improved.
and through it all, I just want to see us WIN big again!

This appears to be a talented and pretty complete roster and I'd like to see IU have high level expectations again. I think we should finish 1-2 in the conference and win the BTT if we don't win the regular season and advance at least to the S16. A top 4 finish and just making the tournament is not enough and would be a disappointment for a team this loaded. Listening to the Sleepers do their Best Case scenarios on IU shows how talented they believe our roster to be. They thought we could have at least 2 guys compete for BTPOY and 3 or 4 contend for all conference 1st team, and Tucker possibly BTFOY (think this is unlikley just with our depth, but they thought it was at least possible he could surprise and win the starting 2 spot).

This appears to be a talented and pretty complete roster and I'd like to see IU have high level expectations again. I think we should finish 1-2 in the conference and win the BTT if we don't win the regular season and advance at least to the S16. A top 4 finish and just making the tournament is not enough and would be a disappointment for a team this loaded. Listening to the Sleepers do their Best Case scenarios on IU shows how talented they believe our roster to be. They thought we could have at least 2 guys compete for BTPOY and 3 or 4 contend for all conference 1st team, and Tucker possibly BTFOY (think this is unlikley just with our depth, but they thought it was at least possible he could surprise and win the starting 2 spot).
who are the Sleepers you seem to be enamored with them?

Going through the B1G regular season is always a death march. It's going to take a while for the team to gel. My bet is they will get better and better as the season goes along, like some of Knight's teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the league is still tough as hell, even with the loss of many key players to transfer and the draft. IMO a top 4 finish is very realistic and ok. I love the fact that Rice and Carlyle already have a season under their belts and that we have veteran experience with Ballo, Malik and Trey. We could gel sooner rather than later.

Edey is a polarizing pick. Like TJD, he needs to go to a team that has a system that fits his skill set. He couldn't play for the Pacers for example, but a team that plays slower and where he could anchor the 2nd unit would be a good fit imo. Or Toronto, just for the marketing. That said, I could see him slip into the early 2nd round and there's no way he wants to be sitting in the green room if that happens. I'd stay at home with friends too.

I could be wrong on this, but Edey is sort of quiet and not too into media, so the mega attention and flash of the green room probably isn’t something he’s into. Not sure just a guess.

Don't think I'm enamored, but they are a more objective view and more informed than just about anyone on here. It's good, new content for the summer doldrums.

More informed about the college basketball landscape and particular details of a wide range of teams yes.

Not more informed about Hoosier bball than most the idiots posting on here.

• Haha
Reactions: nichlee
Edey is a polarizing pick. Like TJD, he needs to go to a team that has a system that fits his skill set. He couldn't play for the Pacers for example, but a team that plays slower and where he could anchor the 2nd unit would be a good fit imo. Or Toronto, just for the marketing. That said, I could see him slip into the early 2nd round and there's no way he wants to be sitting in the green room if that happens. I'd stay at home with friends too.
I don't care where the big sob is at as long as he isn't t standing in a big 10 lane for 15-second intervals next winter.

All Purdue/Edey kidding aside...I think Edey is probably quite a lot more adaptable to different styles than he's given credit for. Purdue used him in a very narrow scope, but the improvements and transformations he made at Purdue were incredible. Conditioning, footspeed, free throw shooting, finishing ability...I suspect for a guy that's likely to be a 2nd unit guy, for the most part, and as such will likely only play 20 ish minutes a game... I think he'll end up being impactful in most styles and systems.

Obviously he isn't going to become a Porzingas type shooting big. But I could very easily see him being much more active pick and rolling, passing, screening, etc... around the perimeter than he was ever asked to do at Purdue.

More informed about the college basketball landscape and particular details of a wide range of teams yes.

Not more informed about Hoosier bball than most the idiots posting on here.
I think they are just based on the amount of video and games they watch. I've not seen much of our transfers, but they've watched several games of each and then go back and watch individual tapes. They also watch a lot of video on recruits and are familiar with not only our recruits/rosters but those of all the B10 teams. There may be diehards on here who have watched more of our incoming players, but very few, imo.

All Purdue/Edey kidding aside...I think Edey is probably quite a lot more adaptable to different styles than he's given credit for. Purdue used him in a very narrow scope, but the improvements and transformations he made at Purdue were incredible. Conditioning, footspeed, free throw shooting, finishing ability...I suspect for a guy that's likely to be a 2nd unit guy, for the most part, and as such will likely only play 20 ish minutes a game... I think he'll end up being impactful in most styles and systems.

Obviously he isn't going to become a Porzingas type shooting big. But I could very easily see him being much more active pick and rolling, passing, screening, etc... around the perimeter than he was ever asked to do at Purdue.
you could say the same about Roy Hibbert, he went from a valuable commodity to out of the league in short order. if I was Roy id hunt down Curry and beat the shit out of him.

you could say the same about Roy Hibbert, he went from a valuable commodity to out of the league in short order. if I was Roy id hunt down Curry and beat the shit out of him.
That's an interesting comp. I think Roy just got older, and probably a little slower and less effective. There's still a lot of value for most teams in a big that can protect the paint, can score inside, can be impactful setting ball screens, etc... But you do need to be able to keep up with the speed, and defend a little more outside the post.

Kevon Looney was incredibly valuable to the Warriors when Steph, Klay, and Draymond were at their peak. He's no "faster" or better on the perimeter than Edey is...and he's 5 or 6 inches shorter.

That's an interesting comp. I think Roy just got older, and probably a little slower and less effective. There's still a lot of value for most teams in a big that can protect the paint, can score inside, can be impactful setting ball screens, etc... But you do need to be able to keep up with the speed, and defend a little more outside the post.

Kevon Looney was incredibly valuable to the Warriors when Steph, Klay, and Draymond were at their peak. He's no "faster" or better on the perimeter than Edey is...and he's 5 or 6 inches shorter.
disagree on that Looney is a better athlete than Edey. Edey made incredible strides in stamina and overall conditioning at Purdue. and at times he can get up and down the floor effectively. but I can't see him doing
it consistently at an NBA games pace. I'd take Garza from Iowa over him, comparing when both came out of college, and he's had basically no impact. time will tell will be interesting to follow his career.

Reactions: nichlee and bawlmer
I could be wrong on this, but Edey is sort of quiet and not too into media, so the mega attention and flash of the green room probably isn’t something he’s into. Not sure just a guess.
A quiet shy guy usually refrains from boner announcements, don’t you think?

disagree on that Looney is a better athlete than Edey. Edey made incredible strides in stamina and overall conditioning at Purdue. and at times he can get up and down the floor effectively. but I can't see him doing
it consistently at an NBA games pace. I'd take Garza from Iowa over him, comparing when both came out of college, and he's had basically no impact. time will tell will be interesting to follow his career.
If Looney is a better athlete, and I'm not sure he is, but if he is, then Edey's size could make up for the difference. Looney might be a little more sure handed with the ball passing wise, than Edey.

Ha, I never watched that, I get your point. I tried to be nice but honestly he is Purdue weird and not going to do well in a green room situation.
Or he got word that he's a 2nd rounder and doesn't want to be embarrassed .. not saying it's true .. Purdue weird is more likely.

Or he got word that he's a 2nd rounder and doesn't want to be embarrassed .. not saying it's true .. Purdue weird is more likely.
Yea, I'm guessing and it's certainty possible he got word he is a 2nd rounder. Or maybe only a small number of teams are interested and if one or two pass it's a lot of picks until the next interested team is up -- that would be rough. The bar for a green room invite could also be lower for a 2x NPOY. Idk, glad he is out of college and hope Ware gets picked early.

Yea, I'm guessing and it's certainty possible he got word he is a 2nd rounder. Or maybe only a small number of teams are interested and if one or two pass it's a lot of picks until the next interested team is up -- that would be rough. The bar for a green room invite could also be lower for a 2x NPOY. Idk, glad he is out of college and hope Ware gets picked early.
What? Wait wait wait a minute. You mean the stuff PUke fans are saying isn’t true? Like he turned down the green room because he’s just a great teammate?

Thats' reasonable. Personally, I don't think he'll make it through the tail end of the first round though. Those are mostly good/playoff teams and one of them I think will recognize the mismatches he creates and that he provides some game changing attributes off the bench if nothing else. I know my bball beliefs don't necessarily jive with the trends in the NBA but I've always thought the NBA was about mismatches and being the best at something and Edey can be the best in a lot of games at being big, protecting the paint, screening and rebounding. If a GM has to gamble, that's a lot of good attributes to gamble on. Glad he's gone from the college game, but I think a lot of the things that made him a great college player will translate to the NBA.

We agree that he's a 2nd unit guy, and I think he could flourish in that role if he's got the right coach/system. He's a massive change of style when he comes in and he will be effective at rebounding, setting screens, and scoring down low in the NBA. He can shoot FT's too. Everything else remains to be seen as far as him showing he has other NBA level offensive skills. I think his boom potential is extremely low, and his bust potential is a little on the high side. TJD went from barely drafted to the 11th highest vote total for All-Rookie, and that was because he went to a team that fit his skillset and played perfectly to his style. Edey needs a great fit like that.

Reactions: kkott
We agree that he's a 2nd unit guy, and I think he could flourish in that role if he's got the right coach/system. He's a massive change of style when he comes in and he will be effective at rebounding, setting screens, and scoring down low in the NBA. He can shoot FT's too. Everything else remains to be seen as far as him showing he has other NBA level offensive skills. I think his boom potential is extremely low, and his bust potential is a little on the high side. TJD went from barely drafted to the 11th highest vote total for All-Rookie, and that was because he went to a team that fit his skillset and played perfectly to his style. Edey needs a great fit like that.
It'll help him, for sure. But I just have a feeling that he's quite a lot more versatile than he's given credit for. And he'll end up being more adaptable than most think as well.

My biggest concern for him, with regards to being a main rotation, every day player in the NBA...is his ability to pass the ball. He was a pretty bad passer at Purdue overall, and downright horrible at reading and passing out of double teams. I think it is possible that a big part of those struggles were because he never really HAD to pass the ball. He was so dominant size wise, that he was able to finish through double teams, and no one could guard him one on one. So when he did decide to make passes, it looked awkward and often times ineffective. In most other areas though, he showed dramatic improvements in his time at Purdue. Might be that he'll show passing improvements now that he'll have to do it more?

Edeys going to Memphis at 9. I'd love to see San Antonio take him at 8, but he's not getting out if the top 10. Ware would be great at 12 to okc don't rule that out. I don't get the two French players. To be honest Clingen is Greg Oastertag/Cole Aldrich. He's an injury waiting to happen and incapable of 20+ NBA minutes.

Spurs need Devon Carter and Edey to go with Wemby, Vassel and Sochan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT