ADVERTISEMENT

How government doesn’t work

So the federal government should subsidize you for wanting to stay in the same place, is what you are saying.

We have this thing today called the internet that allows you to stay in touch with friends and family.

Why doesn't government subsidize workers to move from economically depressed areas to areas which need workers?

Employers could help out by offering training programs to bring these workers up to speed.

Seems to me, our economic system works best when the private and government sectors work together toward common goals.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Why doesn't government subsidize workers to move from economically depressed areas to areas which need workers?

Employers could help out by offering training programs to bring these workers up to speed.

Seems to me, our economic system works best when the private and government sectors work together toward common goals.
Because those jobs should go to the people who have the gumption to fill up the gas tank and go take them.

Sorry, but as an offspring of parents who did just that when the Marion factories started closing in the 70s, I don't have lots of sympathy for people unwilling to relocate.

Because those jobs should go to the people who have the gumption to fill up the gas tank and go take them.

Sorry, but as an offspring of parents who did just that when the Marion factories started closing in the 70s, I don't have lots of sympathy for people unwilling to relocate.
Ballmer, moving isn't easy so your parents are to be applauded.

However, this isn't the 70s and good jobs can be far away with relocating being costly.

Also the part I mentioned about employers willing to train is an important component to my suggestion in today's high tech world.

Reactions: hoosboot
Ballmer, moving isn't easy so your parents are to be applauded.

However, this isn't the 70s and good jobs can be far away with relocating being costly.

Also the part I mentioned about employers willing to train is an important component to my suggestion in today's high tech world.
I'm good with considering government subsidization to retrain workers in waning industries, especially if that's due to policy choices. But subsidizing people to relocate introduces too many market distortions. Especially for jobs that could be performed by people willing to leave everything behind them south of the border.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

That's actually being done on a local level. I know Kokomo has a program that gives cash to people who work in Kokomo but live in other areas, such as Carmel.

And there are plenty of training programs available - union apprenticeships are going begging in the trades.

Indianapolis in the 80s was a good example of private and government sectors working together toward the common goal of making Indianapolis an amateur sports mecca.

I'm good with considering government subsidization to retrain workers in waning industries, especially if that's due to policy choices. But subsidizing people to relocate introduces too many market distortions. Especially for jobs that could be performed by people willing to leave everything behind them south of the border.

Having trouble understanding how the public sector distorts the marketplace by helping employers fill job vacancies.

Sure beats having these folks on the public dole while at the same time helping employers.

Having trouble understanding how the public sector distorts the marketplace by helping employers fill job vacancies.

Sure beats having these folks on the public dole while at the same time helping employers.
Front page of our newspaper today is that the metrolink and buses are cutting services because they can't find workers. That will have a brutal impact on the poor that rely on both

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Maybe there's a reason companies can't fill open jobs, like they don't pay enough to attract people otherwise. Subsidizing people to relocate there and take those jobs enables continued low wages, depressing that economy and potentially leading to unfair competitive advantages.

Maybe there's a reason companies can't fill open jobs, like they don't pay enough to attract people otherwise. Subsidizing people to relocate there and take those jobs enables continued low wages, depressing that economy and potentially leading to unfair competitive advantages.

Bawl, you bring up a good point.

To prevent employers from luring workers whose relocation to their community is being subsidized by the taxpayers and paying them sub standard wages, the program as written, by say Congress, should be written so that workers end up with decent pay commensurate
with the living expenses of the area. All this while keeping in mind the employers are required to train these workers.

In other words, don't give employers a handout at the taxpayer's expense.

Reactions: bawlmer
There is a bit more to the issue. American ports are older. Cargo ships are carrying more. Pre-pandemic cargo ships carried on average 4000 containers, now that number is 7000 containers. American ports are not designed for that amount of cargo on one ship and we are struggling. Asia is struggling but many Chinese ports are very new and are struggling less.

Biden has now required the port of LA to be open 24 hours a day, and Long Beach will soon follow. That sounds reasonable, does it not?

Also

Walmart, FedEx, UPS, Target, Samsung and The Home Depot committed to unloading during off-peak hours, making it easier for the Los Angeles port to operate nonstop. The Long Beach port has been operating 24 hours daily for seven days for roughly the past three weeks.​
Biden also held a virtual roundtable with the heads of Walmart, FedEx Logistics, UPS, Target, Samsung Electronics North America, the Teamsters Union and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, among other groups, before his speech.​

So it sounds like the stakeholders are talking and trying to get caught up, that sounds good to, right?

We have known for a long time there was going to be a truck driver shortage. I am NOT blaming Trump, but we've known this was coming through his presidency and now.

Ships are moving out of Long Beach but a lot of those are destined to be jammed up at the Panama Canal.
Ports on both ends of the Canal are owned by China. Electrical sector too. Locks require electricity.

Reactions: DANC
I know Kokomo has a program that gives cash to people who work in Kokomo but live in other areas, such as Carmel.

workers who live in Kokomo must love that.

i remember when "the market" was the solution pushed by conservatives on everything economic. (while those same conservatives were at the same time manipulating the sht out of "the market" 24/7/365/yr after yr).

so much for that theory.

conservatives couldn't abandon that theory fast enough, the second it no longer benefited the employer.

just like they do on everything.

fear not though, the instant it benefits the employer and the shareholder again, it will again be pushed as the solution to everything.

and they will still be manipulating "the market" 24/7/365 while doing so.

and of course, it still won't be "personal".

workers who live in Kokomo must love that.

i remember when "the market" was the solution pushed by conservatives on everything economic. (while those same conservatives were at the same time manipulating the sht out of "the market" 24/7/365/yr after yr).

so much for that theory.

conservatives couldn't abandon that theory fast enough, the second it no longer benefited the employer.

just like they do on everything.

fear not though, the instant it benefits the employer and the shareholder again, it will again be pushed as the solution to everything.

and they will still be manipulating "the market" 24/7/365 while doing so.

and of course, it still won't be "personal".
How many payroll checks have you written?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT