ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Alford or Sean Miller which one would you take and why

chris007

Senior
Sep 4, 2001
Strengths and weakness of both. I'm more on Miller because he is an elite recruiter and has a career winning percentage over 70%.

Reactions: Deli owl
Strengths and weakness of both. I'm more on Miller because he is an elite recruiter and has a career winning percentage over 70%.
Not wasting time with Alford. He's found a successful home and can't be had. Miller is a possibility.

Reactions: Coopster
Not wasting time with Alford. He's found a successful home and can't be had. Miller is a possibility.
Why can't he be had? What if he wants to come here? What if he wrote into his contract he could leave for IU at no cost? I'm not a fan but I think he is a candidate.

Steve Alford..He is from Indiana, he could and would recruit 4 and 5 stars from the state of INDIANA...Also, no more street ball!

Reactions: hoosier48
Please someone explain to me why Sean Miller would come here? He's built a better program that is very stable, is regularly at the top of his conference, has much less recruiting comp for West Coast kids... I just don't see it.

If SA is happy, I don't think he's a candidate either, but you hear that the Bruin community doesn't like him and that he's a bad fit. I could see him coming for stability's sake, but I don't think he's an option either if he's happy. Again, the advantages that IU offers, he already enjoys at UCLA, not to mention being the pre-eminent recruiting power in a state that is what: 6X larger? Again, if I were comfortable there, no way I'm leaving that gold mine in SoCal.

I'd take Miller but I think it very unlikely that he leaves Zona agfter just signing that extension.

Bryce Alford is about to graduate. Alford coming back would not surprise me. Whether BS or not there seems to be rumors on message boards that he wants to return.

I don't think we could get either one of them but I guess I'd take Alford over Miller if it was possible. I know some people here hate him but I don't and I think he'd do well at IU.

Reactions: bailey777
I'd take Miller but I think it very unlikely that he leaves Zona agfter just signing that extension.

Bryce Alford is about to graduate. Alford coming back would not surprise me. Whether BS or not there seems to be rumors on message boards that he wants to return.
I have not seen one rumor that states Brad Stevens want to return. The only rumor I saw about him is that IU reached out to him and he is not interested.

I have not seen one rumor that states Brad Stevens want to return. The only rumor I saw about him is that IU reached out to him and he is not interested.
I think he was saying whether it is Bullsh*t or not if Alford wants to return

Stevens is not happening....

Let's compare Alford and Miller....

Alford - 21 Seasons (D1)
--------------------------------
4 Conference Titles
5 Conference Tourney Titles
9 NCAA Appearances (has never took the same school to NCAA 3 times in a row)
3 Sweet 16s
0 Elite 8
0 Final 4
Contract - 2.6 mill/year (Buyout is 7.8 million) http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...s-buyout-at-ucla-is-a-staggering-104-million/

S Miller - 12 Seasons (D1)
-----------------------------------
6 Conference Titles
2 Conference Tourney Titles
9 NCAA Appearances
2 Sweet 16s
4 Elite 8s
0 Final Fours
Contract - Salary 2.9 mill/year or 4.5 mil/year if you include the "investments" ? (Buyout ? )
(good luck trying to understand this thing) http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...-salary-increase-contract-extension/97394598/

Miller would cost less and is younger.

If Alford wasn't a former player, nobody would want him here.

If Sean Miller is even remotely interested, he is option #1.

Please remember these moments with Miller....

... to Pitt? (http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/arti...-staying-in-arizona-despite-pittsburgh-rumors)

... to Maryland? (http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...5385/why-didnt-sean-miller-leave-for-maryland)

Last edited:
Reactions: chris007
Steve Alford..He is from Indiana, he could and would recruit 4 and 5 stars from the state of INDIANA...Also, no more street ball!
Alford would be a great get. He would have his best coaching experience here and I am confident big time players would not get away from the state. IMO he is 2nd only to Brad Stevens. I just hope CTC is gone for sure, the suspense is killing me!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Travis Denny
We will not get either. We will either get archie miller, chris mack or holtmann.

They'd both be home runs. I'd take Miller if I had my choice but either one would be great. Either of them would immediately change the brand/image of IUBB.
They both have incredible gigs with great recruiting success in the west coast. There is not reason for either of them to leave. None.

They both have incredible gigs with great recruiting success in the west coast. There is not reason for either of them to leave. None.
I think Alford would if it wasn't for the buyout. He'd have to negotiate it down to manageable meaning that UCLA would be fine with him leaving. I don't see that happening but if UCLA wanted to replace him it could be a win-win for both them and Alford.

The odds are definitely against this happening or S Miller leaving Arizona. That said, IU should make a big offer and make him say no.

No. No. No. It's time to forge a new path with an unrelated coach like we did when Knight was hired (not that we'll catch lightning in a bottle again).

Alford would be no better than Crean.

What in the world has Alford done that's better than Crean!?!?!?!?!!?!!?

Seriously!!!?!! WTF are you people thinking?!?!?!

He's been to 9 NCAA and has 3 Sweet 16s in 21 years!!!

He's never took the same school to the NCAA 3 years in a row!!! For the love of god.....who gives a flying f*** if he's a former player?!?!

If Alford is hired that would pretty much be the last nail in the coffin.

...sigh.....the Knight people are finally going to burn this program to the ground.

Alford would be a great get. He would have his best coaching experience here and I am confident big time players would not get away from the state. IMO he is 2nd only to Brad Stevens. I just hope CTC is gone for sure, the suspense is killing me!!!!!!!!!!
i know im going to take some heat for this comment, but here it goes...i truly believe that when Alford got into coaching, we knew he was going to be the next coach for IU or we hoped. as we know it did not turn out that way. with that being said, i really, really , really believe IU needs Alford and Alford needs IU if either one is going to win a national championship. just my opinion.

Reactions: hoosier48
Alford would be no better than Crean.

What in the world has Alford done that's better than Crean!?!?!?!?!!?!!?

Seriously!!!?!! WTF are you people thinking?!?!?!

He's been to 9 NCAA and has 3 Sweet 16s in 21 years!!!

He's never took the same school to the NCAA 3 years in a row!!! For the love of god.....who gives a flying f*** if he's a former player?!?!

If Alford is hired that would pretty much be the last nail in the coffin.

...sigh.....the Knight people are finally going to burn this program to the ground.
And his ceiling appears to be the sweet 16 which is what we have now. I agree, we need to move in a different direction

Reactions: hoosierdug
i know im going to take some heat for this comment, but here it goes...i truly believe that when Alford got into coaching, we knew he was going to be the next coach for IU or we hoped. as we know it did not turn out that way. with that being said, i really, really , really believe IU needs Alford and Alford needs IU if either one is going to win a national championship. just my opinion.
I'm glad you're not the AD. Why does IU need Alford? Because he played for RMK? When IU hired RMK, was it because you were previously a fan of Fred Taylor and Ohio State?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT