ADVERTISEMENT

So I attended a Trump rally . . .

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
On a lark I attended last Wednesday's Trump/RMK rally at the Indiana State Fair grounds, hoping to be entertained by the spectacle. It was disappointing to see the Pepsi Coliseum more or less full of people supporting a vulgar, racist, buffoonish huckster for President, but there was a more surprising disappointment: The rally was crashingly dull.

In 2008 I attended rallies for Barack Obama and was blown away by the energy. This? Not so much. The crowd cheered when expected and booed when expected, but it was mostly just a large arrangement of orderly Hoosiers, politely listening to The Donald explain that he is SO winning. (If you've seen Trump on the TV news, you already know everything he's going to say, in the 4th grade vocabulary and disjointed syntax he employs.)

The most entertaining aspects all had to do with Knight, whom Trump repeatedly referred to as "Bobby." ("Bobby loves Indiana," Trump assured us, after Knight had declined to return to Indiana when his 1976 team was honored in Bloomington.) Knight engaged in rhetorical gymnastics to divorce Indiana University from his Indiana ties, then assured us that the comically unprepared Trump is the most prepared person ever to run for President and that the serial liar Trump is the most honest person ever to run for President. Bobby is a confused old man.

Anyway, if you have an opportunity to see Trump, you might consider letting it pass. Unless there are riots, it really isn't much fun.

On a lark I attended last Wednesday's Trump/RMK rally at the Indiana State Fair grounds, hoping to be entertained by the spectacle. It was disappointing to see the Pepsi Coliseum more or less full of people supporting a vulgar, racist, buffoonish huckster for President, but there was a more surprising disappointment: The rally was crashingly dull.

In 2008 I attended rallies for Barack Obama and was blown away by the energy. This? Not so much. The crowd cheered when expected and booed when expected, but it was mostly just a large arrangement of orderly Hoosiers, politely listening to The Donald explain that he is SO winning. (If you've seen Trump on the TV news, you already know everything he's going to say, in the 4th grade vocabulary and disjointed syntax he employs.)

The most entertaining aspects all had to do with Knight, whom Trump repeatedly referred to as "Bobby." ("Bobby loves Indiana," Trump assured us, after Knight had declined to return to Indiana when his 1976 team was honored in Bloomington.) Knight engaged in rhetorical gymnastics to divorce Indiana University from his Indiana ties, then assured us that the comically unprepared Trump is the most prepared person ever to run for President and that the serial liar Trump is the most honest person ever to run for President. Bobby is a confused old man.

Anyway, if you have an opportunity to see Trump, you might consider letting it pass. Unless there are riots, it really isn't much fun.
No thanks. I can't stand to listen to him on the radio or TV so I'm not going to walk across the street to listen to him live. The only Presidential campaign rally I've ever tried to go to was GWB's at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, during the 2004 campaign. My wife, daughter and I were among the two or three thousand that couldn't get in because the place was already packed. We went to a downtown restaurant and had something to eat instead . . .

Can't believe you put yourself through that. I couldn't take being around such a clown show.

No thanks. I can't stand to listen to him on the radio or TV so I'm not going to walk across the street to listen to him live. The only Presidential campaign rally I've ever tried to go to was GWB's at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, during the 2004 campaign. My wife, daughter and I were among the two or three thousand that couldn't get in because the place was already packed. We went to a downtown restaurant and had something to eat instead . . .
He is hard to listen to. His cadence, his syntax, his vocabulary -- they all combine to grate on my nerves. Then there's his rampant narcissism. I mean, the guy spoke at length to the New York Times editorial board about how people frequently comment on how great his hands and fingers are. No problem there, he obsessively assures us.

Reactions: MrBing
Can't believe you put yourself through that. I couldn't take being around such a clown show.
I was disappointed that it wasn't a better clown show. I left early as one of his kids started speaking. Meanwhile, Cruz was making what news there was to be made across town, introducing Carly Fiorina as his running mate. What is up with that?

I saw Obama in Indy in 2008, he had a huge outdoor rally on the American Legion mall. All my friends wanted to go, so I went along. It was quite a spectacle....though his speech was standard boilerplate stump speech.

He is hard to listen to. His cadence, his syntax, his vocabulary -- they all combine to grate on my nerves. Then there's his rampant narcissism. I mean, the guy spoke at length to the New York Times editorial board about how people frequently comment on how great his hands and fingers are. No problem there, he obsessively assures us.
I have to agree with you since I rarely do (or rarely admit it when I do ;)). He's awful to listen too. I also think HRC is an awful speaker and find her very grating. We don't have any great speech makers running this cycle. I think Obama is an excellent speaker who I actually enjoy listening too, except when he slips into condescension mode. GWB was actually a good speaker and enjoyable to listen too despite his occasional verbal miscues.

His narcissism is so over the top ridiculous, he's got a serious personality defect. Can't imagine having to listen to 4 years of that.

Racist Trump Fan Arrested With Stockpile Of Pipe Bombs

WASHINGTON — A fanatical Donald Trump supporter, who was arrested by the FBI in Oregon this week after repeatedly threatening to kill President Barack Obama and federal agents, had multiple pipe bombs in his home, authorities alleged in court on Friday.

John Martin Roos, a 61-year-old from Oregon, has been charged with communication of a threat in interstate commerce, and additional charges are likely forthcoming. Roos first came onto the federal government’s radar after a “concerned citizen” brought Roos’ Facebook and Twitter postings to the FBI’s attention in February, according to an affidavit from Special Agent Jeffrey Gray. (Excerpts, below, from Roos’ postings contain explicit language.)...

Probably a big supporter of the 2nd Amendment and stupid enough to buy into the bs that they are coming to take you guns.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT