ADVERTISEMENT

So Archie getting a job means what?

Sofa and pocket change to most of us
Yeah it’s all relative. We had $3-5M write offs 6-7 times per year at my old job. They were normally covered in an hour meeting after an analyst did the rec. Company was 400 people and maybe guessing less than half of IU’s annual revenue. I get there are different stakeholders with a public university.

$7 million isn’t so much if it’s someone else’s money. We can all be generous when it doesn’t dip into our stash of cash. ;)
The people that dropped the cash to make Woodson happen give close to zero shits about the money.

Is what it is.

I couldn't be fully retired at 29. I'd have to do something. I'll do something even when I retire-retire (retired from the military already) in a couple years. Might be buying and selling real estate. Might be consulting. Might be teaching in a Community College. But it'll also be quite a bit of golf on a lot of good golf courses.
Everyone is different. When I retired at 60, I was tired of servicing the needs of the public, always trying to fulfill their (sometimes unrealistic) expectations. I finally decided it was MY time and I've been doing nothing but basically pleasuring the senses ever since...11 years now. I've had friends who retired and then went back to work because they couldn't hack it anxiety-wise. A lot of people get their self-esteem from their job interactions. Money making is a competitive game for some people. I think it might also have something to do with the integrity of one's marriage, in some cases. My dad once told me he was happiest at the office. I made the mistake of telling this to my mom, without really thinking.

I used to employ a receptionist who told me she took up the game of golf so she could spend more time with her husband. She got tired of being a "golfer's widow". Now understand, there is nothing wrong with continuing to work when finances are no longer an issue. It's good for the economy and for those who enjoy working, it fills a void that might be there if not working. Another way to look at voluntary retirement from all work is that it can be viewed as an altruistic act in that by leaving the workforce, you are creating a better chance to fulfill the dreams of someone younger. Now, if you'll please excuse me, I think I"d like to take a piss and the cat needs fed..

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I linked the contract more than once, but IU owed him 100% for firing him after the fourth year. He was owed about $10 million and it’s paid out over the remainder of his contract. RI is paying him about $3 million during that period - 10-3=7. That’s what IU will be paying him altogether - $7 million. Archie’s contract with RI actually increases his salary after the payout payments end. Smart negotiation there.
I think it seems like a greedy contract/negotiations on AM's part. I think it would bother me if I failed to produce and was still getting the agreed upon contract...then sticking it to the people who gave me the opportunity in my next opportunity. All is fair in business but I don't like it. I realize RI probably can't pay IU money but to negotiate to max out the buyout seems rough. This also takes me back to how happy I am that he is no longer at IU. I'd rather roll with a coach that actually loves IU and not just a good coach who wants to use IU for his career or $.

I think it seems like a greedy contract/negotiations on AM's part. I think it would bother me if I failed to produce and was still getting the agreed upon contract...then sticking it to the people who gave me the opportunity in my next opportunity. All is fair in business but I don't like it. I realize RI probably can't pay IU money but to negotiate to max out the buyout seems rough. This also takes me back to how happy I am that he is no longer at IU. I'd rather roll with a coach that actually loves IU and not just a good coach who wants to use IU for his career or $.
If IU's not careful, we may be getting to the point where if we do land a really successful, quick-fix coach, we aren't able to retain his services for long, having him being led away by the allure of a more prestigious coaching gig, not to mention more money (see IU football). Those who personally witnessed the excellent years of RMK are dying off in greater nnumbers each successive year. When mediocrity is the only thing ever known by the IU fan base and those administrators in control of the situation, mediocrity is more likely to be accepted.

IMO there is a problem with AM's buyout agreement if it allows AM to be paid below market forcing and IU to supplement. There should be a "market rate" clause.

Where are you getting those numbers? The buyout was spread out over 5 years just like Crean. We’ve paid Archie 2 million at this point. We owe him 8 million over the next 4 years. Highly likely URInis paying him at least 2 million per year. IU is likely done paying him after only 2 million.

Given the donation was 10 million to cover the buyout, it seems IU came out well on top.
Miller agreed to terms with Rhode Island on an $8.5-million deal — $1.4 million the first two seasons through 2023-24, $1.9 million in each of the last three through 2026-27.

Here's the info on Miller's contract and buyout at IU as of April 2021:

Miller currently earns $550,000 a year in base salary, plus another $1 million in deferred compensation. His outside, marketing and promotional income (OMPI) escalates over the course of his deal. Miller earned $1.65 million in OMPI in his first season in charge in Bloomington, that number rising by $50,000 each year of his seven-year contract.

Were Indiana to terminate Miller’s contract without cause before March 31 of next year, he would be owed whatever remained of those three pools of compensation. For reference, on April 1, 2021, that number would add up to approximately $10.35 million, that number subject to change as portions of Miller’s compensation are paid out monthly across the life of the contract.

IU would be required to pay the whole of Miller’s buyout within the timeframe of his current contract, which runs through March 31, 2024. Mitigation language in Miller’s contract could reduce that number, were Miller to obtain another job in basketball during the intervening period.

After April 1, 2022, the contract would include $1.1 million in base salary, $2 million in deferred compensation and $3.85 million in OMPI, all added together and divided in half.

Thus, from April 1, 2022, Miller’s buyout would fall to less than $3.5 million. It would continue decreasing over time via scheduled monthly salary payments. Both base salary and OMPI are paid monthly, while deferred compensation is paid annually.

I haven't done the calculations, but yes there is less money owed to Archie as a result of this contract, but he still walked away with a lot of IU's money (the donor's) as a rsult of his firing - not small change to almost everyone.

My calculation would say that IU (the donor) will still payout approximately $4.1 million over the next two years.

To paraquote lennie pike from A Mad Mad World:
Lennie Pike:
He’ll pay taxes! Even businessmen, who rob and cheat and steal from people everyday, even they have to pay taxes.

When we have kids and are more tied down, I could see something similar (the real estate part and consulting part). I’ll leave the teaching to you 😂.

29 and no kids? Wtf are you waiting on? It doesn't get easier as you get older.

29 and no kids? Wtf are you waiting on? It doesn't get easier as you get older.
We like to travel and our free time. This isn’t uncommon for people our age. Your generation had like 3 kids by the age of 25.

We like to travel and our free time. This isn’t uncommon for people our age. Your generation had like 3 kids by the age of 25.
There has always been a demographic that statistically reproduces earlier and more often, still is today.

Folks that have kids early trade off having nicer things, houses, cars earlier but have the ability to be "free" much younger. Those that hold off until their 30's have things but are still dealing with college at 55.

I see both sides.

With regards to the buyout that is one year and one week old.

Do we stop paying him now? Completely? Delta between old and new contract? How much has been paid out thusfar?

Too lazy to go research it and figure somebody here knows.
Too lazy....the mercan way

There has always been a demographic that statistically reproduces earlier and more often, still is today.

Folks that have kids early trade off having nicer things, houses, cars earlier but have the ability to be "free" much younger. Those that hold off until their 30's have things but are still dealing with college at 55.

I see both sides.
College isn’t expensive. If you establish yourselves prior to having kids, paying for them and college is significantly easier. My opinion is that people rush into kids way too early.

College isn’t expensive. If you establish yourselves prior to having kids, paying for them and college is significantly easier. My opinion is that people rush into kids way too early.
I wasn't referring to money on the back end...just responsibility and involvement at 55+.

Miller agreed to terms with Rhode Island on an $8.5-million deal — $1.4 million the first two seasons through 2023-24, $1.9 million in each of the last three through 2026-27.

Here's the info on Miller's contract and buyout at IU as of April 2021:

Miller currently earns $550,000 a year in base salary, plus another $1 million in deferred compensation. His outside, marketing and promotional income (OMPI) escalates over the course of his deal. Miller earned $1.65 million in OMPI in his first season in charge in Bloomington, that number rising by $50,000 each year of his seven-year contract.

Were Indiana to terminate Miller’s contract without cause before March 31 of next year, he would be owed whatever remained of those three pools of compensation. For reference, on April 1, 2021, that number would add up to approximately $10.35 million, that number subject to change as portions of Miller’s compensation are paid out monthly across the life of the contract.

IU would be required to pay the whole of Miller’s buyout within the timeframe of his current contract, which runs through March 31, 2024. Mitigation language in Miller’s contract could reduce that number, were Miller to obtain another job in basketball during the intervening period.

After April 1, 2022, the contract would include $1.1 million in base salary, $2 million in deferred compensation and $3.85 million in OMPI, all added together and divided in half.

Thus, from April 1, 2022, Miller’s buyout would fall to less than $3.5 million. It would continue decreasing over time via scheduled monthly salary payments. Both base salary and OMPI are paid monthly, while deferred compensation is paid annually.

I haven't done the calculations, but yes there is less money owed to Archie as a result of this contract, but he still walked away with a lot of IU's money (the donor's) as a rsult of his firing - not small change to almost everyone.
That makes zero sense to me, unless his buyout contract is different than academic/professional contracts that operate on IU's fiscal year budget, which is 7/1 - 6/30 always. That sounds like an April Fool's Day joke, most everything at IU, contract and salary wise operates on their fiscal year budget. The Athletic Dept may be different though. I would imagine that the financial office despises him more than most of the fan base

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT