ADVERTISEMENT

So Archie getting a job means what?

Courtsensetwo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2004
With regards to the buyout that is one year and one week old.

Do we stop paying him now? Completely? Delta between old and new contract? How much has been paid out thusfar?

Too lazy to go research it and figure somebody here knows.

Have no idea the numbers on his new contract, but we would have paid him all he was owed the last year. Then this year coming up, any money that Rhode Island's contact doesn't cover, the buyout will cover.

We're gonna be free and clear here in a bit, I would think.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Have no idea the numbers on his new contract, but we would have paid him all he was owed the last year. Then this year coming up, any money that Rhode Island's contact doesn't cover, the buyout will cover.

We're gonna be free and clear here in a bit, I would think.
Thx. I would like to see the math on all this.

Do we stop paying him now? Completely? Delta between old and new contract? How much has been paid out thusfar?

I'm too lazy too, but I'm guessing it means delta. If he'd otherwise be under contact for x here and what we pay him now is offset by what he does on the side now, then it seems logical that it would remain that way till he'd be no longer under contract. It'd be impossible to research because the terms of his buyout may be different than what we know about his contract and though probably public, not something you're just going to Google. They must be paying him quarterly or bi-annually now, cause he does do stuff now, what a nightmare that would be for the financial office if they have to deal with him monthly.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo

The buyout is reduced by his new salary. I don't recall the exact numbers that I read a couple days ago, but the rich guy paying the buyout will end up paying about $3 million less than he would have if Archie didn't get a new basketball related job. He paid his full salary until Archie signed this contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: nafui1965
Summary: IU will have paid almost nothing relatively speaking to fire Crean and Miller as predicted.

Summary: IU will have paid almost nothing relatively speaking to fire Crean and Miller as predicted.
No, that is not correct. Archie's buyout is still costing about $7 million. Who the heck would ever call that "almost nothing?"

No, that is not correct. Archie's buyout is still costing about $7 million. Who the heck would ever call that "almost nothing?"
Where are you getting those numbers? The buyout was spread out over 5 years just like Crean. We’ve paid Archie 2 million at this point. We owe him 8 million over the next 4 years. Highly likely URInis paying him at least 2 million per year. IU is likely done paying him after only 2 million.

Given the donation was 10 million to cover the buyout, it seems IU came out well on top.

But he said IU, the question is what funding he's been paid under this year? You suggested "some rich guy", that's not IU although through them. It certainly is IU if Woodson doesn't pan out and IU itself has to absorb the next one because there's no happy rich guys left to beg from.

Last edited:
Almost certain you’re dead wrong, but I’m not going to do the work to prove it so…. Either way 7MM is almost nothing to IU relatively speaking.

Another Joe Schmoe who doesn’t understand how buyouts work, and also has never worked with “big” numbers. Not so shocking development.

Where are you getting those numbers? The buyout was spread out over 5 years just like Crean. We’ve paid Archie 2 million at this point. We owe him 8 million over the next 4 years. Highly likely URInis paying him at least 2 million per year. IU is likely done paying him after only 2 million.

Given the donation was 10 million to cover the buyout, it seems IU came out well on top.
I linked the contract more than once, but IU owed him 100% for firing him after the fourth year. He was owed about $10 million and it’s paid out over the remainder of his contract. RI is paying him about $3 million during that period - 10-3=7. That’s what IU will be paying him altogether - $7 million. Archie’s contract with RI actually increases his salary after the payout payments end. Smart negotiation there.

Reactions: IndyMitchell
Almost certain you’re dead wrong, but I’m not going to do the work to prove it so…. Either way 7MM is almost nothing to IU relatively speaking.

Another Joe Schmoe who doesn’t understand how buyouts work, and also has never worked with “big” numbers. Not so shocking development.
7 MM is literally nothing to IU as the entire buyout and Woodson’s compensation are being handled by direct donations.

I linked the contract more than once, but IU owed him 100% for firing him after the fourth year. He was owed about $10 million and it’s paid out over the remainder of his contract. RI is paying him about $3 million during that period - 10-3=7. That’s what IU will be paying him altogether - $7 million. Archie’s contract with RI actually increases his salary after the payout payments end. Smart negotiation there.
And again, it means absolutely nothing to IU.

I’m not at all wrong.

You’d be wrong. I’m responsible for contracts totaling more than $50 million. I read Archie’s contract. I’m right.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I’m not at all wrong.

You’d be wrong. I’m responsible for contracts totaling more than $50 million. I read Archie’s contract. I’m right.
Do they get you to file the paperwork away after the big boys are done negotiating the contracts?

Ok, so this makes sense. Thx

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Nope. Started a consulting company 4 years ago, and just sold it to the two guys that I originally hired.

I’ve known 2 people that have been in a similar situation and “retired” early - both were working again within 4 years

I’ve known 2 people that have been in a similar situation and “retired” early - both were working again within 4 years
My wife and I invested in several investment properties prior to selling the company and just used 90% of the sale to buy several more. We should be well covered.

I couldn't be fully retired at 29. I'd have to do something. I'll do something even when I retire-retire (retired from the military already) in a couple years. Might be buying and selling real estate. Might be consulting. Might be teaching in a Community College. But it'll also be quite a bit of golf on a lot of good golf courses.

I couldn't be fully retired at 29. I'd have to do something. I'll do something even when I retire-retire (retired from the military already) in a couple years. Might be buying and selling real estate. Might be consulting. Might be teaching in a Community College. But it'll also be quite a bit of golf on a lot of good golf courses.
When we have kids and are more tied down, I could see something similar (the real estate part and consulting part). I’ll leave the teaching to you 😂.

the ones I knew weren’t completely financial unretirements, probably still could have retired comfortably, but it was some combination of investments performing slightly under what was planned, deciding they still wanted more money even had investments been performing well, boredom, and realizing they were on the verge of raising entitled brats of kids that never saw their parents work.

the ones I knew weren’t completely financial unretirements, probably still could have retired comfortably, but it was some combination of investments performing slightly under what was planned, deciding they still wanted more money even had investments been performing well, boredom, and realizing they were on the verge of raising entitled brats of kids that never saw their parents work.
The question is usually, “how much money do you need?” The answer is almost always, “just a little bit more.” ;)

We’ve talked about the last part quite a bit. Both of us grew up in households where a big work ethic was hammered home by our parents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT