ADVERTISEMENT

Smoke screen

96gradGUS

Recruit
Dec 11, 2018
Could all of this noise be a way to take attention away from Brad as he figures things out? Or the Celtics figure out a transition plan? This is likely his last year in Boston either way unless they turn season around.
Is Dolson this clever?
might just be my wishful thinking. Thoughts?

Anything is possible. It’s not likely that it’s related to Stevens but could be for someone else.

Maybe, I doubt it, but Brad's reluctance to take the job is a little weird when he's in trouble there. Bill Fitch, KC Jones, Doc I think all had shorter tenures and won titles for them. He can't think EC finals is going to buy him a river of goodwill there

• Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider
I don't think anything so far is out of the ordinary. IU went all-in on Stevens (as they should) and had a plan B option in Matta with a deal in place that fell through. Both Stevens and Matta as plan A and B would have been home run hires. Unfortunately we have way too many experts who read anything and everything they believe and understand that coaching searches can take longer than 8 days. It's a very real possibility that IU's next coach is still playing in the NCAAT to which would be a good thing.

Not sure, all I know is I'm not asking for $10 million from someone with enough money to ruin my life unless I am 98% sure I know what I'm doing........................................

Reactions: IUAPEX
In my mind, any coach that has been rumored for this job will be a viable candidate until Scott Dolson publicly announces his decision. There is absolutely no sense in getting the fans whipped up into a frenzy over unsubstantiated rumors. It makes this particular fan base look absolutely bat shit crazy, and the job not as attractive as it should be.

My two cents to other fans is to sit back, relax, enjoy the rest of the NCAA Tournament games, drink a beer and wait for Dolson to make his decision.

I don't think anything so far is out of the ordinary. IU went all-in on Stevens (as they should) and had a plan B option in Matta with a deal in place that fell through. Both Stevens and Matta as plan A and B would have been home run hires. Unfortunately we have way too many experts who read anything and everything they believe and understand that coaching searches can take longer than 8 days. It's a very real possibility that IU's next coach is still playing in the NCAAT to which would be a good thing.
It's a very, very real possibility that Matta's failed "test" is utter bullshit and he's still very much in consideration. The story has already been reported as false.

Could all of this noise be a way to take attention away from Brad as he figures things out? Or the Celtics figure out a transition plan? This is likely his last year in Boston either way unless they turn season around.
Is Dolson this clever?

No, he's not that clever. It really is a big s***show.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
It's a very, very real possibility that Matta's failed "test" is utter bullshit and he's still very much in consideration. The story has already been reported as false.

Highly doubt Matta is still in play after yesterday.

Yeah but Coach, if things don't go my way of thinking it has to be the other guys fault.

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1
The whole Stevens ”I’m a Masshole” routine made me vomit - it’s not a compliment to be a Masshole anyway. Truth is, he no longer idenfies as one of “us” which was actually a source a our endearment and optimism. Too bad, but we just have to move on.

Reactions: BayernFan
The whole Stevens ”I’m a Masshole” routine made me vomit - it’s not a compliment to be a Masshole anyway. Truth is, he no longer idenfies as one of “us” which was actually a source a our endearment and optimism. Too bad, but we just have to move on.
Do we really want a coach who says what he's supposed to say. Why doens't he just say STFU to the press

He’s an image conscious jerk that’s for sure. He wants to be in an nba front office, not getting his hands dirty coaching college.

true on the endearment angle. We obviously coveted a person who no longer exists. The Masshole line was pandering to the Boston faithful who are calling for his head. That's Brad's problem now. Make your bed, sleep in it.

Reactions: Jfats

The "Masshole" comment was dumb, but what else was he supposed to say while still employed in Boston. Stevens was always a long shot and still think his future (at least next 10-15 years) lies within the NBA regardless of status with Boston at the end of the year. Brad Stevens will be the pick of the litter when he becomes available.

true on the endearment angle. We obviously coveted a person who no longer exists. The Masshole line was pandering to the Boston faithful who are calling for his head. That's Brad's problem now. Make your bed, sleep in it.
The entire idea of having an "Indiana guy" or "IU guy" return to Bloomington is nothing more than longing for a bygone era. What will make everyone in this fan base feel good about the state of the program is a coach who will WIN. I don't care if it's the ghost of John Wooden or a youth coach from Westfield. All IU needs is a winner and all will be well.

Is Dolson this clever?

That's my tin foil hat hope.

No one is leaving their current active and contending teams to take this job, certainly not Stevens.

If that was the expectation than I'm on the other side saying this is 100% delusional thinking.

I can't defend these interviews without going deeper down the conspiracy rabbit hole (that they are just subversions to get the smell off of Brad).

Still, if we don't have a guy in two to three weeks....I'm adjusting my tinfoil hat.

As Titus said, the pull home is always strong (where is Bird now? Where is Jordan now after their careers?) but it's stronger when you love basketball. Titus said he's in LA but he misses Indiana basketball.

Titus also said that if Stevens really loves coaching and teaching, the IU job gives him the opportunity to not only influence his players, but that position is looked at from the entire state and it can influence young kids across the state which is what Knight did (as BS is an example of).

Add to it the team is coming apart. His big ally Hayward got the hell out of dodge ASAP.

So....at least the narrative made sense (double the salary, be more of a teacher and influencer, home, etc) but there's no way in sevens hells was he quitting on a playoff team. The NBA would hold that against him forever.

So maybe Dolson is playing 7D chess?

Probably not but if we go two to three weeks longer without a hire and without massive transfers....the hat goes back on.

The entire idea of having an "Indiana guy" or "IU guy" return to Bloomington is nothing more than longing for a bygone era. What will make everyone in this fan base feel good about the state of the program is a coach who will WIN. I don't care if it's the ghost of John Wooden or a youth coach from Westfield. All IU needs is a winner and all will be well.
Completely agree. We are at a point that folks are actually considering it a good option to have guys with no college coaching experience but an IU degree to coach a Power-5 program?

We want to hand the reins over to someone who hasn’t spent a single minute out on the road recruiting guys to play at a university? Absolutely nuts.

What's a big shit show? Archie was fired 8 days ago. It's only a big shit show if you believe everything you read on Twitter and the internet. Dolson nor IU has literally said a word about potential candidates. What you believe is your choosing.

Well, for one thing, vetting Matta could have been done in complete secrecy a month ago. He was totally a free agent.

Well, for one thing, vetting Matta could have been done in complete secrecy a month ago. He was totally a free agent.

Can you imagine if IU vetted Matta WHILE Archie was still employed and it leaked? IU nor their administration has said a single word in regards to Matta. Everything you’re hearing about Matta isn’t coming from the horses mouth.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
Completely agree. We are at a point that folks are actually considering it a good option to have guys with no college coaching experience but an IU degree to coach a Power-5 program?

We want to hand the reins over to someone who hasn’t spent a single minute out on the road recruiting guys to play at a university? Absolutely nuts.
Would IU be considering Mike Woodson had he played college ball at any other school besides IU? The answer to that is hell no.

We might as well consider Kaleb Canales, Greg Foster and Tyler Marsh while we're at it. If people on this board don't immediately know who those three are, my point will be further solidified.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I would take Matta immediately over Woodson. Have an " IU Guy" or two as Assistant coaches. But you want a head coach who has recruited successfully before and been highly successful. Woodson has not done that. Matta has. Matta has strong Indy ties and could recruit Indiana/Ohio/Illinois well. Have a former player like Woodson, Calbert, Smart, Fife, Lewis, Wittman, be an Associate Head coach so that if Matta has reoccurring health issues we have an "IU guy" ready to go and lead. I highly doubt Matta failed a physical. This could just be more misinformation.

Last edited:
Would IU be considering Mike Woodson had he played college ball at any other school besides IU? The answer to that is hell no.

We might as well consider Kaleb Canales, Greg Foster and Tyler Marsh while we're at it. If people on this board don't immediately know who those three are, my point will be further solidified.

And I have no idea who those guys are.

The "Masshole" comment was dumb, but what else was he supposed to say while still employed in Boston. Stevens was always a long shot and still think his future (at least next 10-15 years) lies within the NBA regardless of status with Boston at the end of the year. Brad Stevens will be the pick of the litter when he becomes available.
Exactly. What would Musselman, Beard, etc. say during the season or prior to the NCAA's if asked about another job? They always say no in this scenario, whether they mean it or not.

If people are getting bent out of shape over internet or twitter comments from sports writers who don't know their asses from a hole in the ground, then I don't know how they have gotten this far through life without a team of people assisting their every move.

Exactly. What would Mussleman, Beard, etc. say during the season or prior to the NCAA's if asked about another job? They always say no in this scenario, whether they mean it or not.
No coach in their right mind that is currently coaching a team still playing games would tell the media directly that they are interested in the IU job. If they did that in a press conference or interview, I wouldn’t want them just due to lack of intelligence.
It’s coaching search 101. You don’t openly tell the media that and cause all kinds of disruption in your current locker room.

I would still not be shocked if Brad or Matta is announced as the new IU coach after being rumored to be out of the running.

No coach in their right mind that is currently coaching a team still playing games would tell the media directly that they are interested in the IU job. If they did that in a press conference or interview, I wouldn’t want them just due to lack of intelligence.
It’s coaching search 101. You don’t openly tell the media that and cause all kinds of disruption in your current locker room.

That and you lose all the leverage in the world negotiating.

Is Dolson this clever?

Sounds like the March 4 Inauguration of the REAL POTUS stories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT