ADVERTISEMENT

Sleep apnea

patrick593

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 12, 2007
Columbus, OH
Anyone here have it, or deal with someone who does?

I'm putting on this weird device on my head as we speak that is an at home sleep test. No idea how the hell you're supposed to sleep with this thing glued to your head and around your chest....

Not looking forward to potentially having a C-pap machine but I've heard from those who need it, you finally get a good nights sleep.

I'm in the process of getting tested as well as my sleep has been terrible for about a year. Waiting on my doctor to get things set up. Good luck.

The Cpap will save your life.

I wear one. I cannot sleep without it now.

The first morning I woke after wearing it was the best I had felt in years.

Thanks

Makes me feel a little better... I'm only 31 but I felt like I haven't had a good night sleep in 10 years. Hoping this goes somewhere but to be honest its kind nerve racking

Takes some getting used to.

But man, is it worth it.

I started wearing mine at 28...been wearing one for 17 years.

My blood oxygen levels were so low prior to using it I was falling asleep in the car at stoplights.

I agree. Had one for almost 10 years now and I absolutely love

The sleep I get. I even wear it when I take a nap. Crazy how much better I feel.

I went nearly 10 years without having a dream. Then I got a CPAP...

Had a dream the first night I used it. Took a few nights to get completely over the hump but I won't go to bed without it. I travel with it too. Feel way more rested and it even lowered my BP...

Get one and don't look back...

My Dad had a C-pap machine.

When he got his C-Pap, they told him that eventually he would miss it if he didn't have it. There were a few times when he needed a new mask that he couldn't use it & he definitely could tell a difference.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I had heart arrhythmia and atrial fibrillation that was

caused by sleep apnea according to my heart doctor. I still don't think CPAP helps my sleep that much, but I'm afraid to not use it. A second sleep test said I also had central sleep apnea, so I'm now on a BIPAP machine. If you're diagnosed with apnea, I think you should take it seriously. Of course, dying in your sleep isn't the worst way to go, eh?

Patrick, that's funny. I just got home from a sleep study myself. Sounds like I have CPAP to look forward too myself. It would be great to wake up feeling well rested again. Good luck!

If your test results show you have mild sleep apnea, ask you physician about the possibility of wearing an oral appliance instead of the c-pap. I have had a number of patients referred to me by physicians for oral appliances instead of the c-pap. It's smaller, easier to travel with, less intimidating, etc. Some people never get used to the c-pap and stop wearing it. All that being said, a c-pap is the best overall treatment. But an oral appliance that is worn is a heck of a lot more effective than a c-pap that sits on the shelf. I have had many patients that state they didn't realize they hadn't had a good night of sleep in years until they wore their appliance. Just a few thoughts. Good luck.

Just took the test last night

and if its anything like the test its going to be really tough to get used to...

Woke up with that thing off my head 3 times. This morning when I woke up to turn it off it said "now on"... If this F'n thing was off all night (definitely on when I went to sleep) i'm going to flip a chit

Worried about getting a Cpap

but I've used it for several years now and love how much better and more rested I feel in the morning. Got used to it pretty quickly and easily.

This....

I had years of waking up 10-15-20 times a night. I would wake up more tired than when I went to sleep. I went in for a sleep study and I felt high the next day I felt so much better.

that's exactly where I was, mild apnea, but not to the level they

recommended a CPAP. I bought a Z-Quiet off the internet. It does help me sleep better, but I generally wakeup 2-3X a night to pee (another unwanted gift age has given me!), and I can't get back to sleep with it in. That's been my only knock on it. Has helped with my snoring and the initial sleep period.

Re: If the Z-Quiet has helped you, you might be a great candidate for

for a custom made appliance. It will fit a lot better than what you have, be less bulky, and be adjustable. It will also cost more of course, but medical insurance usually covers it assuming you have met your deductible.

Interesting tidbit you might be interested in...

I did an at home sleep study over two nights. The first night was without my oral appliance and the next night with my oral appliance. The results showed that (obviously) the number of events decreased when I was wearing the appliance. The very surprising thing was the data also showed that the severity of the events I had actually increased. In some instances, dramatically.

We were very surprised at this.

Love the sig pic

Your concerns should be aneurysm and heart attack from low blood oxygen levels, to be blunt.

Getting used to the mask will come in time.

I didn't realize half the AOTF uses this device....

I thought they were only for obese people for some reason. Why can't all of these people sleep through the night?

I usually wake up a couple times per night (weird dream that wakes me up....maybe to pee if I drank too much too close to bedtime, my dog having a nightmare and making noises)....but I never have any problem falling right back to sleep. Maybe I'm just lucky...

That's very interesting. How did you proceed? Are you still wearing the

appliance? Have not seen any cases like that, but I'm sure you aren't the only one.

Some are for fat people (me) but not neccessarily

I know several people who aren't heavy who are on them.

No longer wearing the appliance. I have the cpap and..

seem to be doing very well with it, a year and a half later.

I will say that the appliance I had was not a snoring device per se, though basically the same principle. I had a TMJ issue and the dentist I share a building with set me up with an anterior repositioning appliance. It pulled me forward end to end and opened my bite, so basically the same as a snoring appliance. I immediately noticed that I wasn't awaking many times a night gasping for air. It didn't fix my TMJ issue but did improve my sleep somewhat. The dentist thought it odd so she bought the apnea testing unit and that's how we found the surprising results. She now screens her patients for sleep apnea and routinely sends the unit home with them if she suspects there's problem. If she thinks the need a cpap, she steers them toward the appropriate place for further diagnosis and follow up care.

This post was edited on 3/24 9:44 AM by I FAN U

So I'm curious what's the average amount of sleep everyone gets?

And if you wear a C-Pap what's the average hours you log per night with the mask on? I've been wearing a c-pap for about 3 years now. I'll acknowledge I do get a better night's sleep, but my problem is going to bed to late. I average about 4.5 with it on each night. Many mornings I wake up with it on the floor. My youngest girl still likes climbing into bed with us in the middle of the night and sometimes that wakes me up and I take the c-pap off.

I used to wake up with terrible headaches in the morning. Apparently I wasn't getting near enough oxygen to the brain overnight. These headaches wouldn't get better with Tylenol either. I needed to take at least a 30 minute nap or stronger pain med for them to go away.

The lack of sleep is sort of a vicious cyle. You know you need to exercise the next day, but not sleeping enough makes it difficult to find the energy necessary. I'd like to go to sleep by 11:00, but that would mean I'd never get to talk to my wife. My wife is a physician and this effing EMR (electronic medical records) keeps her up until about 1:00am everynight doing her charts. She likes to stay on top of these otherwise she has to work over the weekend and then the kids get pissed off she won't spend time with them. So I try to stay awake so I can at least have 30 minutes watching tv with her or talking about the day, etc.

It's basically an issue for anyone who has saggy posterior palate.

That's the soft tissue at the back of the roof of your mouth. if it's loose and floppy, it can sag downward and restrict or completely cut off your air movement. An oral appliance that opens your bite and pulls your lower jaw forward can work for some people, but the cpap is the choice for moderate to severe sleep apnea. it basically blows continual air into your nose / mouth and prevents the sagging palate from blocking your airway.

operated on 4-5 hrs of sleep all through college

and that's extended to 7-8 hours a night now but its all about how rested you feel. For me that's the biggest thing, most days I feel like I'm back in college getting 4 hrs of sleep and I'm dozing off in the car at lunch in the parking lot of some restaurant.

Regardless of the time I go to sleep I'm up and wide awake at 730 daily. Energy varies on how much I've been tossing and turning.

Pretty much what my doctor said...

that and a deviated septum... apparently a few of the punches in my life might have got me haha..

My issues, while losing some weight would help, are primarily off a jacked up nose and throat

I use "groupme" to make my own Memes

Made that one after the WSU loss

As for the test, this wasn't an actual cpap. it was a measuring device... hoping a cpap machine puts me down for the count and keeps me from the tossing and turning I do now

The effort to get used to the mask is worth it

a hundred times over. I'm not exaggerating when I say it changed my life. My sleep study showed I stopped breathing and nearly awakened over a hundred times a night. I, too, was falling asleep at stop lights and taking frequent naps that never seemed to help. Now, just putting the mask on makes me fall asleep. Pavlovian.

Insurance agent told me that no company would insure my life . . .

after being prescribed a CPAP machine if I didn't use it regularly.

I've not used one . . . my sleep apnea is at the low end of "moderate", at 10.6 incidences of my breathing stopping per hour, and use of a nasal spray called QNasl has helped me a lot since that study was done. The doc also said that if I lost weight - about 20-25 lbs. - I'd most likely have no issue with sleep apnea.

I dunno . . . I haven't tried a CPAP machine, but have heard the stories here and elsewhere how you get almost a superman feeling when first using one to sleep at night . . . and after that you can be a 'normal' person again.

This post was edited on 3/24 11:35 AM by Sope Creek

So I have a question about this...

I've never been accused as being a snorer. However, I would say once in awhile, maybe two or three times a year, I wake up gasping for air. It happened the other night, but it's been a very long while since it last happened. I assume others have a similar issue, but are you experiencing much more than I am?

not a Dr.

But I'd say it's worth bringing up to yours the next time you go in for a check up. Better safe than sorry

For me it started with a now ex-girlfriend smacking the hell out of me for snoring. I noticed when I slept on my back I would wake up from time to time gasping for air. The biggest thing was not feeling rested. No matter how many hours of sleep I got it never felt like I got enough.

Are you a "light" sleeper . . .

who is sort-of awake much of the night? If so, it may be that you're waking up in response to not breathing . . . happens to me fairly often.

The gasping for air thing, I don't know about whether that' specifically is a symptom of sleep apnea. The docs measure the level of apnea by capturing both the number and length of when you stop breathing. If you during each hour of sleep you have 0-5 episodes of stopping breathing for 10 seconds or more each time, then you don't have significant sleep apnea. 6-10 episodes per hour is "mild", 10-30 episodes is "moderate" and anything over 30 is severe apnea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT