ADVERTISEMENT

Should we go to zone full time?...

ribbont

All-American
Mar 23, 2006
Obviously our man defense is pathetic and by now, I don't see it getting much better. We are just not as athletic as I had hoped pre-season and I totally didn't realize how limited MM is defensively.

So, should Woody throw in the towel on man and commit to a zone?

Obviously our man defense is pathetic and by now, I don't see it getting much better. We are just not as athletic as I had hoped pre-season and I totally didn't realize how limited MM is defensively.

So, should Woody throw in the towel on man and commit to a zone?
No. A team with bad man D principles will be bad in a zone too, not to mention likely even worse rebounding the ball, where IL is very good I believe (offensive glass). But, I do agree we are bad defensively, and the zone hasn't looked horrid, so I'd definetly keep working on it and mix it in some, just to try and confuse things.

Reactions: Crossblock
I’d vote for a matchup zone, kind of a hybrid with both zone and man-to-man benefits.

Most times, no but we're we've played our best defense in the limited times we've played zone. I'm 100% in on us trying to go heavy zone as we can't do any worse.

You go zone on bad shooting teams or to protect your bigs in foul trouble. So no.

You go zone on bad shooting teams or to protect your bigs in foul trouble. So no.
Agreed, if IU defends the shot in m2m. They don't so you lose nothing but you defend the post better and in the case of IU, actually improve rebounding.

Against Wisconsin, Sparks was able to stop Krowl straight up from backing him down. Instead of playing great man on everyone else, IU kept bailing them out by sending a double (typically Galloway) at Krowl, and he would promptly kick it out and their offense was on.
So stupid. Purely on the coaches. The over-help is ridiculous. We have the best group of talented bigs in the conference and the coaches can't let guys take care of business on their own?

No. A team with bad man D principles will be bad in a zone too, not to mention likely even worse rebounding the ball, where IL is very good I believe (offensive glass). But, I do agree we are bad defensively, and the zone hasn't looked horrid, so I'd definetly keep working on it and mix it in some, just to try and confuse things.
Absolutely agree. in a Zone, players tend not to move their feet effectively to cover space. In addition to your outside on ball defenders, the guys inside and underneath need to know how to play certain angles to cut off space and provide support. In addition, Defenders need to know how to find a man to block out on Defensive Rebounds, which is more difficult than in Man to Man. A Zone works best if You have outside defenders with long arms and wingspan who can cut off passing lanes and angles (e,g, Syracuse).

The thing that drives me crazy about our man to man is how easily We give up base line drives. I know things have changed since I played basketball right after they cut the bottom out of the peach basket and did away with Center Jumps after made baskets. However, We were taught to cut off the baseline. Set your foot at or on the baseline and force the Offensive Player to go out of bounds or behind the basket to get around You. If He goes inside of You, Your Defensive help is coming from there,,

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT