ADVERTISEMENT

Russia-Ukraine war has begun

Not if your plan is an insurgency.

There is no point in pulling together any type of standing military force, it will just get rolled over. You fight delaying actions and give up ground. Have units lay low while the Russian heavy forces move past. They then hit the supply lines and melt into the citizenry. Cross the Dnieper, blow the bridges, and settle in for a long and drawn out conflict with NATO weapons pouring in from the West.

That is the only chance they have. They cannot win the field in the initial push. They have to make Russian mothers receive their dead sons for the next several years in protracted low intensity guerilla warfare. That is their only chance.
Yea, you need an organized insurgency. I would have organized all men 16-60 into groups of 10. And I would organize acts of terror in Russia cities prior to today to be carried out henceforth.

At least we're on record for trying. I don't think anyone beyond maybe some Russians will be confused on who is wrong.
EDIT: And some really stupid Americans.
I would have preferred starting with serious sanctions against elites with the hopes of convincing Putin to change his path. I think we took the wrong approach. I do think this may lead to the downfall of Putin if it becomes bloody on the Russian side.

Yea, you need an organized insurgency. I would have organized all men 16-60 into groups of 10. And I would organized acts of terror in Russia cities prior to today.
Then every man is a target. I don't need a bunch of targets, I need key people who will fight and a bunch of people who are willing to help hide them.

If the Russians are too heavy handed, the insurgency will grow organically.

Putin declared his intention to "demilitarize" and "de-Nazify" Ukraine. I'm not sure what "de-Nazify" is code for. Is it a claim that the Ukrainian government are Fascists? Or is it that they are under the thumb of Europe? Or is it just a generic dig at anything seen as anti-Russian?

Edit: CNN also reporting explosions in Kharkiv. Looks like a full-scale attack. Reuters confirming sound of artillery near Kyiv.
Off the top of my head, I've experienced racism twice in my life. Once in Ukraine and once in China. The unfortunate reality is that there are Nazis in the Ukrainian armed forces. Moreover, they did shut down Russian speaking radio stations and attempt to delete the Russian language from all spheres. It does not excuse Putin's actions, but these are facts.

If the Russians go for Kyiv, does that change anybody’s stance on real NATO military action?
I doubt it. No one in NATO has any desire to intervene militarily. But the desire for sanctions might ramp up enough to make Russia an economic pariah.

Addendum: That's just as a response to the invasion. Things could change weeks or months down the road after an occupation.

Too late for sanctions. It must be done and it will be done, but it won't change anything.
No, it definitely won't. Ukraine will become a puppet state, or eventually, guerilla warfare will push the Russians out. In many years. But it's very unlikely that there will be any international force coming to their aid.

No, it definitely won't. Ukraine will become a puppet state, or eventually, guerilla warfare will push the Russians out. In many years. But it's very unlikely that there will be any international force coming to their aid.
I think the only caveat is we wait to see if it is a full-scale invasion. It certainly appears so. I really did not understand the strategy. Democrats (I mean the party elites) are too keen on diplomacy. You have to know your opponent and play tough on occasion. The time for tough sanctions was much earlier. I have been calling for sanctioning Russians elites on this forum for years. The United States is filled with dirty money and criminals from all over the FSU. Too many are bought off imo.

I doubt it. No one in NATO has any desire to intervene militarily. But the desire for sanctions might ramp up enough to make Russia an economic pariah.

Addendum: That's just as a response to the invasion. Things could change weeks or months down the road after an occupation.
It’s going to get dicey. Agree on the idea of completely shunning Russia economically to whatever extent we can (though our soft power in that regard has diminished). However, China’s disposition will matter greatly. Very interested to see how they respond

It’s going to get dicey. Agree on the idea of completely shunning Russia economically to whatever extent we can (though our soft power in that regard has diminished). However, China’s disposition will matter greatly. Very interested to see how they respond
I'm not sure why China is relevant here? My sense is sit wait on the sideline and let others cannibalize themselves.

MSNBC had a guy on the coast at Odessa saying that he couldn’t confirm that, he wasn’t seeing any land invasion.

Clearly Putin plans to take all of Ukraine and that will probably be the end of it because the United States isn’t gonna let them go further west into NATO territory.

How far will Putin push? Estonia? Georgia? Belarus?
Ukraine for now. They already have a puppet in Belarus and Estonia would trigger Article 5. They gauge reaction and see how well the occupation and response to sanctions goes. They will also test NATO to see if any cracks in alliance form.

Kyiv is on the Dnieper … blowing bridges on the Dnieper to stop the tanks means the war is over.

Marine landings in Odessa says to me that Putin is after more than two eastern provinces.

https://www.grida.no/resources/5337

32363343095_4476e5681a_b.jpg

Ukraine for now. They already have a puppet in Belsrus and Estonia would trigger Article 5. They gauge reaction and see how well the occupation and response to sanctions goes. They will also test NATO to see if any cracks in alliance form.
Loss of the Baltics really bothered Russia, but Belarus and Ukraine are special. NATO in Estonia is like Soviet missiles in Cuba. NATO in Ukraine would be like Soviet missiles in Windsor, Ontario.

Kyiv is on the Dnieper … blowing bridges on the Dnieper to stop the tanks means the war is over.

Marine landings in Odessa says to me that Putin is after more than two eastern provinces.

https://www.grida.no/resources/5337

32363343095_4476e5681a_b.jpg
Basic military strategy requires him to prioritize taking the entire coast. Even if he doesn't push all the way to Kyiv.

Which, FWIW, I think he intends to do, anyway.

Loss of the Baltics really bothered Russia, but Belarus and Ukraine are special. NATO in Estonia is like Soviet missiles in Cuba. NATO in Ukraine would be like Soviet missiles in Windsor, Ontario.
It for sure bugs them, but the Baltics are a high possibility to kick off WW3. Whole new level of risk compared to Ukraine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT