ADVERTISEMENT

Russia-Ukraine war has begun

A quick look after the last question Biden was asked, and it does appear India is not behind sanctions. They are "closely following" the situation.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
People forget we dipped below first place for a very short time because of demand. Demand is back. Rigs and pumps are coming back online. People forget we don’t actually own energy. The commodity market does. People need to stop with the energy independence stuff. We are energy neutral and export oil and gas. We also buy it. Why? Because it’s a commodity that’s bought and sold.
Increased supply depresses prices. Depressed prices leave less money for Russia, Iran, Venezuela, etc. to play with.

I'm saying it about a situation that has an inevitable result
Just pull out a map, look at the size of the Ukraine, and you will see that Putin cannot possibly occupy Ukraine for an extended period of time. He would suffer so many losses and his country would suffer so much war weariness that it would ruin him politically.

Add on top of that international sanctions which will only increase with time.

Trump was right about the Germans. I don't care what anyone else says. They are going to have to truly pick a side.

Blood is on Merkel's hands. She was horrendous for Europe.

But Merkel has so far backed Nord Stream 2 very firmly, despite criticism not only from the U.S., but also from closer to home.

Germany’s eastern neighbors, particularly Poland, have long criticized the scheme because they fear their own energy security is at stake.

Reactions: DANC
the raw numbers don't look good for sure

26694.jpeg

Increased supply depresses prices. Depressed prices leave less money for Russia, Iran, Venezuela, etc. to play with.
Absolutely but it also hurts drilling. It costs big bucks to complete a frack. Those countries much like China can produce without the consequences. We see it in the commodity market all the time. China almost took out our Aluminum industry in 3 short years. Increasing supply to the point of depressing markets isn’t in our handbook.

Reactions: larsIU
Putin just traded major international sanctions for an embroiled military conflict in Ukraine. Putin is hoping for a quick surrender. I don’t think Ukraine has to resist for a long time to push Putin back at least to those eastern regions that he covets the most.

Putin is actually losing this war already. Long-term speaking, internationally speaking, economically speaking.

Like Biden or not, thank God we have a long-time statesman at the helm right now. Putin has met his match.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC

But Merkel has so far backed Nord Stream 2 very firmly, despite criticism not only from the U.S., but also from closer to home.

Germany’s eastern neighbors, particularly Poland, have long criticized the scheme because they fear their own energy security is at stake.
Of course, she grew up in Eastern Germany, greatly influenced by the USSR.

My apologies. In a nutshell, it’s not futile at all. Ukrainians are a proud people and they will resist I assume. I don’t know the geography so it’s hard to say how easy that resistance will be.
We might be amazed at what the nation of Cossack's might do-they were always the heart of the Russian army and then the White Army that defended the royal family against the Bolsheviks which by the way did not surrender until June of 1923. Putin may really be surprised how this plays itself out.

Here's serious for ya Goat.... the area surrounding Chernobyl nuclear disaster site has been retaken by Russian forces? WHY?

Russia likely wants it contained for the same reason we would. Didn’t see the original post but I’m not buying reports that Russia would want to use it to threaten broader Europe. Seems undoable.

Merkel‘s fanciful vision of a rational Russian future is understandable. Russia has the wherewithal To be a stronger superpower economically than China. Russians are phenomenally intelligent people. Sadly they are culturally Destined to self-destruction by tyrannical corruption.

Russia likely wants it contained for the same reason we would. Didn’t see the original post but I’m not buying reports that Russia would want to use it to threaten broader Europe. Seems undoable.
Read above. It’s coincidence. It’s just an easier path.

Reactions: bub-rub
Merkel‘s fanciful vision of a rational Russian future is understandable. Russia has the wherewithal To be a stronger superpower economically than China. Russians are phenomenally intelligent people. Sadly they are culturally Destined to self-destruction by tyrannical corruption.

Not sure I agree with this. Russia’s geography allows and kinda forces it to be a military super power (huge geography, costly infrastructure, huge/ diverse pop, can mostly feed itself, many hostile neighbors, vast resources, etc) but keeps it from being an economic one (not enough good ports and most are too cold, bad rivers, vast geography, too many hostile neighbors, etc). I agree about the destined for self-destructing part but it’s also always destined for rebirth for the very same reasons. Russia’s geography forces it to govern like it does and manage foreign relations like it does IMO

Vlad won't like this and these people are very brave:
https://www.reddit.com/r/interestin.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

EDIT: I'm sorry the video of the anti-war protest in St. Petersburg has apparently been taken down.

If I’m one of Putin’s oligarch buddies, this is really bad for business right? Maybe we start by going after the money. Use all available leverage.

Putin has been preparing for this:

Since 2015, Russia, by diverting oil and gas revenue, has expanded its currency reserves to a staggering $631 billion, equivalent to a third of Russia’s entire economy. It is the fourth-largest such reserve in the world, among the largest of any petrostate’s.​
...​
Mr. Putin has also learned how to keep Russia’s all-important political and business elite (who keep him in power the way that voters keep democratic leaders in power) loyal even under sanctions.​
Political insiders or oligarchs who lost their London flats or foreign investments after 2014, for example, may have been granted a construction or energy contract at home as recompense.​
“This actually strengthens regime coherence,” Mr. Gabuev said of sanctions targeting the elite, “because all of the key people now have no option to go back to normal with the West.”​

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT