ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue is improving. Impressive

To be fair to Crean here...he started with walk ons and baseball players. The transition from El Swirlo to Porkchop was pretty well managed.

While true, it shouldn't have taken Crean 4 years to get a winning team. And its not like Keady had Purdue rolling when he handed it over. Did they even make the NCAAT his last 4 or 5 years?

If Final Four coaches are so great, why has Miami University been so bad?

You know, their coach took George Mason to the Final Four, you would think that the Hurricanes would be dominant since Final Four coaches are subsequently better than any other coach who has never been to a final four, but under his leadership and playing in a Power 5 conference, the Hurricanes have been to S16 only 2 times. He has been there 8 years and only made the tournament 4 times, but he is a Final Four coach so he MUST be better than a guy like, um, this Painter fella. SMH

Buehler........
Buehler........
Buehler........

You know, their coach took George Mason to the Final Four, you would think that the Hurricanes would be dominant since Final Four coaches are subsequently better than any other coach who has never been to a final four, but under his leadership and playing in a Power 5 conference, the Hurricanes have been to S16 only 2 times. He has been there 8 years and only made the tournament 4 times, but he is a Final Four coach so he MUST be better than a guy like, um, this Painter fella. SMH
Neat cherry picking.

So, NCAA championships and FF's do not matter to you. Good for you. You do not have a problem with Mike Davis and Tom Crean being able to reach the FF and, on the other hand, Gene Keady and Matt Painter being unable to reach the FF. Good for you. You think making the tournament matters, but doing anything in the tournament does not matter. Good for you. Very interesting mental gymnastics.

I disagree

There is some fortune that has to happen for teams to make runs into the final 4, see Loyola last year, George Mason before them, you cannot deny that at all, but to quantify "good" or "great" coaches solely based on final four appearances is short sighted in my opinion.

Of course, a tough bounce last year that could of went the way of the Boilermakers then this dumb point you IU die hards love to hang your hat on would be moot.

Not all final four coaches are great, but great coaches make it to the final four...

Painter is great for PU & will always deliver big wins against IU, it just means more to you guys, good for you. It was the same with Keady. Was he a better coach than RMK or PU a better program than IU? The next person to claim that would likely be the first. Having been to the top before, we aspire to get there again, & foolish or not, Painter isn’t good enough for IU. PU probably does hold him back some though since not viewed as a marquee program. If a coach can’t get to the FF in 15 years at a power 5 school I don’t want him.

Last edited:
Not all final four coaches are great, but great coaches make it to the final four...

Painter is great for PU & will always deliver big wins against IU, it just means more to you guys, good for you. It was the same with Keady. Was he a better coach than RMK or PU a better program than IU? The next person to claim that would likely be the first. Having been to the top before, we aspire to get there again, & foolish or not, Painter isn’t good enough for IU. PU probably does hold him back some though since not viewed as a marquee program. If a coach can’t get to the FF in 15 years at a power 5 school I don’t want him.

Keady wasn't as good as Knight obviously but he was still a really good coach. Painter isn't good enough for IU? That's laughable. Painter is a top 10 coach in college basketball.

Keady wasn't as good as Knight obviously but he was still a really good coach. Painter isn't good enough for IU? That's laughable. Painter is a top 10 coach in college basketball.

Naaahh, he’s a good coach but not good enough in my book...but I will admit that being at PU has probably held him back some.

Painter is the 2nd best coach in the Big Ten and top 10-15 in the country when it comes to Xs and Os and player/system development. No doubt he’s been held back by Purdue’s recruiting limitations over the years. But the guy can flat out coach.

Keady beat Knight more in head to head matchups. I might get crushed on here but when I've seen interviews with Keady, I really like him. In my hometown of Washington Indiana, that might even be illegal to have that view so I would keep it to myself. Keady is a good dude.

None of that means anything in comparison to what Painter has done. Davis and Crean made the FF on larks. No one has ever believed differently. You’re way off base on this one. Painter is a superior coach, and then some, to any of those guys, by the way.
Bobby Knight said that team that went to the final four, the year he was fired, was one of the best teams that he ever recruited. I always said that team would have gone to the final four without a coach!!
It was a major disaster having Mike Davis as a head coach at IU!! IU has never recovered from that mistake! A big thank you to the President, AD, and Board of Directors for setting basketball back 15 years, by making Davis the replacement for Knight. Davis couldn't coach a middle school team!!

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Keady beat Knight more in head to head matchups. I might get crushed on here but when I've seen interviews with Keady, I really like him. In my hometown of Washington Indiana, that might even be illegal to have that view so I would keep it to myself. Keady is a good dude.
Keady 21*
Knight 20

hahahahhaha you clearly meant top 30.

top 10. Lolol.

Painter is the 2nd best coach in the Big Ten and top 10-15 in the country when it comes to Xs and Os and player/system development. No doubt he’s been held back by Purdue’s recruiting limitations over the years. But the guy can flat out coach.

like you know where Xs and Os stop and all the other shit that goes into building a program begins. Lololol. Good stuff.

but you are they guy who said Brunk wouldn’t contribute...or that concussions don’t hurt b-ball skills...or that Billy Donovan was in line next to you at Bigfoot buying a coffee and a pack of smokes after taking the IU job.

good, good stuff!

OK Pete.

He's a borderline top ten coach in the country..... if you compare results and the talent he usually works with.

Purdue is lucky to have him.... as their admin didn't manage to buttrape the tradition when passing to the next generation.
Butyrape u projecting again get your mind out of the gutter

Reactions: Radio Zero
like you know where Xs and Os stop and all the other shit that goes into building a program begins. Lololol. Good stuff.

but you are they guy who said Brunk wouldn’t contribute...or that concussions don’t hurt b-ball skills...or that Billy Donovan was in line next to you at Bigfoot buying a coffee and a pack of smokes after taking the IU job.

good, good stuff!
I never said any of that.

Remember when you told us all Archie is a future Hall of Fame coach?

I never said any of that.

Remember when you told us all Archie is a future Hall of Fame coach?

remember when you tried to find that statement from me and couldn’t? Remember when everyone bumped all the stuff you said above?

you’re even bad at misrepresentation. Yikes!

I think it’s fair to say he’s in the top 10-15 range. He’s the 2nd best in one of the best leagues in college basketball. Not that far-fetched.

he’s really good but I’d think there are 10 to 15 guys who do more every year i.e. the sweet 16 is full of them. Remember that time not that long ago when he almost went to Missouri? Top 15 coaches don’t do that. Lol.

he’s really good but I’d think there are 10 to 15 guys who do more every year i.e. the sweet 16 is full of them. Remember that time not that long ago when he almost went to Missouri? Top 15 coaches don’t do that. Lol.
Name them. And Mizzou, with the Wal-Mart family money that enveloped the program at that time, was an attractive option for any coach.

Purdue didn’t have a top 15 AD and investment in the program at that point in time.

Not that long ago? It was 9 years ago lol. He did it to get Purdue to invest more assets into the basketball program. We were losing assistants to lesser programs because of lack of funding and he got that fixed. He wasn’t a top 15 coach back then. He is now.

Not that long ago? It was 9 years ago lol. He did it to get Purdue to invest more assets into the basketball program. We were losing assistants to lesser programs because of lack of funding and he got that fixed. He wasn’t a top 15 coach back then. He is now.

Ahh, thought it was more recent. well, maybe for a 3-year span that might end this year. Lol.

Name them. And Mizzou, with the Wal-Mart family money that enveloped the program at that time, was an attractive option for any coach.

so during that magical time at Mizzou, they blew their load and cheddar on Quin Snyder? And exactly no one else? Minus flirting with Matt Painter? They never used all that Walmart money to make offers that couldnt be refused? Lol. Back to the point, Painter is not a top-15 coach. 7 tourney wins the last 7 years. Not top 15.

so during that magical time at Mizzou, they blew their load and cheddar on Quin Snyder? And exactly no one else? Minus flirting with Matt Painter? They never used all that Walmart money to make offers that couldnt be refused? Lol. Back to the point, Painter is not a top-15 coach. 7 tourney wins the last 7 years. Not top 15.
Well, some things changed at Mizzou, as most people know. And since you’re admitting you can’t name 14 better coaches, you’re admitting he’s where most people have him rated.

Well, some things changed at Mizzou, as most people know. And since you’re admitting you can’t name 14 better coaches, you’re admitting he’s where most people have him rated.

what did I admit? And why do some of you guys use that weird tactic when arguing? Jeebus.

It’s not that hard. Take the top two or three coaches from each P5 league - some even have a couple or few more than that - and then add in the best mid-major coaches. Voila - Painter is top 30. You’re welcome!

what did I admit? And why do some of you guys use that weird tactic when arguing? Jeebus.

It’s not that hard. Take the top two or three coaches from each P5 league - some even have a couple or few more than that - and then add in the best mid-major coaches. Voila - Painter is top 30. You’re welcome!
You already proved you couldn’t do it. No need to continue demonstrating what you don’t know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT