ADVERTISEMENT

Why do people believe deserves more time?

If IU hadn't hired and then fired 4 coaches and 1 interim drunk previously, it probably wouldn't matter, if the last coach was only here more than 4 years, it probably wouldn't matter but like any employer with high turnover it points to a toxic dysfunctional organization.

The source of the toxicity can be management, personnel, bad product and/or customers ... or all of them combined. This is not a secure employment opportunity. This program has a lot of baggage attached to it ..

At most schools a bad season carries the weight of a bad season. At IU a single missed jumper carries the weight of 20+ years of un-met customer and investor expectations. Hyperbolas I know, but not that far from the truth.

It will take a very special coach to turn it around and due to our previous hiring and firing practices, the talent pool who will want this challenge is now very small. There's much better jobs elsewhere..
Can’t argue and it would be among the very best jobs for the elite candidates if it were not true.

That said, there will be no shortage of good coaches that would kill to get the job in Btown.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AceGilligan
Can’t argue and it would be among the very best jobs for the elite candidates if it were not true.

That said, there will be no shortage of good coaches that would kill to get the job in Btown.
If so many elite candidates would kill for the job why has IU hired:
An unqualified assistant
Followed by a show cause cheater
Followed by a mid major whose fan base had already tired of him
Followed by a mid major with no personal skills
Followed by an elder former player with a spotty NBA resume who would not have gotten a big job anywhere else

An unqualified assistant
Followed by an elder former player with a spotty NBA resume who would not have gotten a big job anywhere else
Valid points but it may be just how bad the IU admin is at hiring coaches

Valid points but it may be just how bad the IU admin is at hiring coaches
Yea but if you were an elite coach and the Mich, OSU and IU jobs were open $ equal which would you choose? Both OSU and Mich have had better success in the past 20 and the alums focus on football relieves a lot of pressure.

An unqualified assistant
Feel free to disagree or challenge anything I post, I only ask that you disagree with or challenge something I actually posted

Good to see you guys focused on us though

I agree with you, dysfunctional organization yes. Completely mismanaged for 20 some years. But I don't buy the BS that nobody wants the job.
No coach who showed he was worth his salt has wanted the job for 20 years now. What’s changed to make a good one want to come running now?

I see several articles that explain Woodson deserves more time. I don’t get this sentiment. It’s a different atmosphere nowadays. IU has great NIL funding, easy transfer portal, great fanbase, good facilities, etc. IU has not improved in any facet of the game. You see new coaches across college basketball succeeding and improving in a year or two. If you watched the Nebraska/IU you can see Woodson is playing 1990 NBA basketball and Hoiberg is playing modern NBA/CBB basketball
Written by the delusional or mentally ill who don't know basketball, this team doesn't play basketball

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
When the Purdue bias comes out it’s so obvious.

Good coaches don’t want to be second fiddle to football. They aren’t worried about job security. They believe they are a great coach and they want to win big and be the center of attention.

We offer more NIL, AD budget, and fan support (way more support) than those schools. IU is a better job — you can be king of the state.

What school leads the B1G in attendance this year? They’re also ranked #100. Amazing.

It’s funny PU can be very good and they still come over here to try and convince themselves IU isn’t an appealing job. Take any blueblood and give them MD/Sampson with NCAA issues/Crean/Archie/Woody and they won’t be anywhere. Our admin sucks but if we get a hire right we can be very good. Who knows if we figure it out or not.

When the Purdue bias comes out it’s so obvious.

Good coaches don’t want to be second fiddle to football. They aren’t worried about job security. They believe they are a great coach and they want to win big and be the center of attention.

We offer more NIL, AD budget, and fan support (way more support) than those schools. IU is a better job — you can be king of the state.

What school leads the B1G in attendance this year? They’re also ranked #100. Amazing.

It’s funny PU can be very good and they still come over here to try and convince themselves IU isn’t an appealing job. Take any blueblood and give them MD/Sampson with NCAA issues/Crean/Archie/Woody and they won’t be anywhere. Our admin sucks but if we get a hire right we can be very good. Who knows if we figure it out or not.
Interesting. If you were a highly recruited coach which job would you take?

No coach who showed he was worth his salt has wanted the job for 20 years now. What’s changed to make a good one want to come running now?
How do you know that? You have no idea what coaches we actually attempted to get. You think Matta and beilein would both have said no to iu in the last 20 years?

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Ah yes. My favorite. Terrible for decades, yet we lead in attendance and donate like crazy. One “boo” when we see a ranked #100 IU team down 20 at half at home to Penn State and our unrealistic fans are ruining everything!
Burns my ass every time I hear that crap. IU fans are the only reason the program still has something to offer.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The place where people care about what I do and I get the most NIL and AD budget. Duh.
NIL budget isn’t what’s making great programs. Great coaches make great programs.
UConn, PU, Houston, Baylor, Iowa st, Creighton…
Teams like this are top 10 because they have really good coaches. Not NIL

NIL budget isn’t what’s making great programs. Great coaches make great programs.
UConn, PU, Houston, Baylor, Iowa st, Creighton…
Teams like this are top 10 because they have really good coaches. Not NIL
The question was what does a coach look for in a job, not what makes a great program.

Of course coach is more important than NIL, but I’d rather have NIL than not.

It seems rational to gauge the quality of a program by who would take the job. Obviously there will always be coaches that will just do it for the money, but assume for a second the following scenario.

We are hiring for a coach, and willing to make him the highest paid CBB coach. How appealing is the job to candidates? Compare now to:

After the Miller firing (when we hired MW)?

After Crean (when we hired Miller)?

After Sampson/DD (when we hired Crean)?

How about after Davis? After Coach Knight?

Was there any point that the job was less appealing? Sure, decades ago someone would have to be replacing RMK. Sure, after Sampson a coach would have had a challenge to clean up the mess.

But, the further you go back the closer our program was to its elite status.

We have great fans, awesome fan support. And any expectations that they may have are certainly not the issue. But outside of us, the view of IU as a sleeping giant isn’t there. I’m not saying that the right coach couldn’t accomplish great things, I’m suggesting that our program is at a decades long low point, which makes the job much less appealing than it was.

Maybe this time they get big name and we make him the highest paid coach. Who knows.

But, imho, this program is now in worse shape than when MW took over (as the job is even less appealing) and that is saying a mouthful!

It seems rational to gauge the quality of a program by who would take the job. Obviously there will always be coaches that will just do it for the money, but assume for a second the following scenario.

We are hiring for a coach, and willing to make him the highest paid CBB coach. How appealing is the job to candidates? Compare now to:

After the Miller firing (when we hired MW)?

After Crean (when we hired Miller)?

After Sampson/DD (when we hired Crean)?

How about after Davis? After Coach Knight?

Was there any point that the job was less appealing? Sure, decades ago someone would have to be replacing RMK. Sure, after Sampson a coach would have had a challenge to clean up the mess.

But, the further you go back the closer our program was to its elite status.

We have great fans, awesome fan support. And any expectations that they may have are certainly not the issue. But outside of us, the view of IU as a sleeping giant isn’t there. I’m not saying that the right coach couldn’t accomplish great things, I’m suggesting that our program is at a decades long low point, which makes the job much less appealing than it was.

Maybe this time they get big name and we make him the highest paid coach. Who knows.

But, imho, this program is now in worse shape than when MW took over (as the job is even less appealing) and that is saying a mouthful!
Don Fischer made an ominous, if not harrowing, comment 5-6 games ago, after another lackluster team performance. What he said was that if IU didn’t finish out this season on a more promising note, giving its fans at least an inkling of something more positive to look forward to immediately future-wise…and then he tailed off.

The way he said it…coming from the 50 year stalwart, gave listeners a sense of dangling on the edge of a deep precipice from which there may be no return. In other words, we’ve put ourselves at a critical juncture, backs against the wall with nowhere left to turn type of predicament. All the national respect that Bob Knight brought to IU through his 29 years of brilliance, dedication and hard work might go “poof,” along with IU’s fan support and ability to recruit. I feel as if this moment in time for IU’s basketball program is at the same juncture as our country is on the would scene with such turmoil within our ranks, the division our ruling governments have created.

Don Fischer made an ominous, if not harrowing, comment 5-6 games ago, after another lackluster team performance. What he said was that if IU didn’t finish out this season on a more promising note, giving its fans at least an inkling of something more positive to look forward to immediately future-wise…and then he tailed off.

The way he said it…coming from the 50 year stalwart, gave listeners a sense of dangling on the edge of a deep precipice from which there may be no return. In other words, we’ve put ourselves at a critical juncture, backs against the wall with nowhere left to turn type of predicament. All the national respect that Bob Knight brought to IU through his 29 years of brilliance, dedication and hard work might go “poof,” along with IU’s fan support and ability to recruit. I feel as if this moment in time for IU’s basketball program is at the same juncture as our country is on the would scene with such turmoil within our ranks, the division our ruling governments have created.
5-6 games ago? We’ve lost 4 of our last 5 (or 6) games. The band may be playing, but the audience may be paying closer attention to the lady singing than any promising 🎶 coming from 🎸 🎹 🥁 .

5-6 games ago? We’ve lost 4 of our last 5 (or 6) games. The band may be playing, but the audience may be paying closer attention to the lady singing than any promising 🎶 coming from 🎸 🎹 🥁 .
What Don feared most is blooming to fruition, the full ramifications for which have yet to be felt. The only way out now appears to be winning the BTT. Maybe we’ll get “good X” back, along with a newly inspired team, hell-bent on redemption. Nah, it only happens like that in fairytales.

That might have been true 20 years ago, but I don’t think it is today. Coaches can win anywhere these days. Why come to this dumpster fire and destroy your career?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
The school you are obsessed with. For the same reason that you are here. For the same reason that I am here.
You are correct that the fanbase is one of the drawing cards. I get to go to Crisler tomorrow and expect it to be the same as last year: cheap seats, empty seats and a shortage of students. It was the same at Breslin last year. Good news is this year there will be beer. From the TV perspective many of the IU fans are showing up and supportive even if booing a bad 1st half.

However, is the fanbase with expectations of the 70's and rich alums who think thier $$ give them a voice also a turn off for some? Shaka and Barnes evidently thought so at Texas.

That might have been true 20 years ago, but I don’t think it is today. Coaches can win anywhere these days. Why come to this dumpster fire and destroy your career?
People overlook the fact that IU doesn't own Indiana HS recruiting anymore. Archie was surprised by how hard it was after he got here.

We can't just rely on Indiana kids for championship teams. But when we are consistently one of the worst overall shooting teams in the conference despite being located in a state that continues to send good shooters elsewhere, that's a challenge to overcome.

And it will take some time for even the right guy to reverse it. The biggest problem I see now for Woodson is there is no sign his in-state recruiting is improving. People may have more patience if that weren't the case.

Reactions: CriticArisen
You are correct that the fanbase is one of the drawing cards. I get to go to Crisler tomorrow and expect it to be the same as last year: cheap seats, empty seats and a shortage of students. It was the same at Breslin last year. Good news is this year there will be beer. From the TV perspective many of the IU fans are showing up and supportive even if booing a bad 1st half.

However, is the fanbase with expectations of the 70's and rich alums who think thier $$ give them a voice also a turn off for some? Shaka and Barnes evidently thought so at Texas.
Every coach knows they are hired to be fired. You have to win, and there are bigger expectations for the bigger jobs.

It goes beyond the fan base. Indiana is the state known for basketball, and IU has the most college tradition in Indiana. Bob Knight is literally the most famous person in Indiana's history. He was bigger than the governor. If a coach can win big at IU, they are a God. IU has every advantage of Coach could want.

The strawman IU fans expect the 70s is wrong and made up.

After Woody’s first two years he won one tourney game and he had strong support (including a 33% raise from our AD) going into season three. He wasn’t doing much to earn that support.

I think IU fans are too nice honestly, but that’s okay.

Reactions: CriticArisen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT