ADVERTISEMENT

Why do people believe deserves more time?

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
I see several articles that explain Woodson deserves more time. I don’t get this sentiment. It’s a different atmosphere nowadays. IU has great NIL funding, easy transfer portal, great fanbase, good facilities, etc. IU has not improved in any facet of the game. You see new coaches across college basketball succeeding and improving in a year or two. If you watched the Nebraska/IU you can see Woodson is playing 1990 NBA basketball and Hoiberg is playing modern NBA/CBB basketball

I see several articles that explain Woodson deserves more time. I don’t get this sentiment. It’s a different atmosphere nowadays. IU has great NIL funding, easy transfer portal, great fanbase, good facilities, etc. IU has not improved in any facet of the game. You see new coaches across college basketball succeeding and improving in a year or two. If you watched the Nebraska/IU you can see Woodson is playing 1990 NBA basketball and Hoiberg is playing modern NBA/CBB basketball
Here's the "needs more time" argument, mainly...

He inherited a team that hadn't officially made the tournament in a few years. And in his first year, he took them to the tournament. In his second year, they finished near the top of the conference, and won an NCAA tournament game.

Third year now, he's struggling. But the precedent it sets could be a problem for the program down the road. One bad season and you're out.

I think HOW he has won, and HOW he has lost, and him either not seeing, or not knowing, or just not able to react and reshape his roster how he needed to...those things make a very, very strong case for letting him go now. It does feel inevitable, at this point, that they'll have to let him go soon. Why not now?

My attempts to give some ways for Woody to turn things around, are just because I think the top couple paragraphs will win the day, and he'll get another year. So might as well think of some ways he can be successful??!

"easy transfer portal"
Not sure what you mean by that. The portal has not been that productive for IU. (I like Ware)
But the task of rebuilding our team for next year does not appear to be an easy endeavour.

IU is the only team in B1G that currently has 1 commit for next year. There are several with 2..others with 3, 4 or 5. But IU stands alone at 1. FWIW...Purdue has 6.
He was hoping for two at this point but missed. NIL game is good so portal it will be

Those are extremely patient people, and maybe a little naive.

He inherited a team that hadn't officially made the tournament in a few years. And in his first year, he took them to the tournament. In his second year, they finished near the top of the conference, and won an NCAA tournament game.

Third year now, he's struggling. But the precedent it sets could be a problem for the program down the road. One bad season and you're out.

I think HOW he has won, and HOW he has lost, and him either not seeing, or not knowing, or just not able to react and reshape his roster how he needed to...those things make a very, very strong case for letting him go now. It does feel inevitable, at this point, that they'll have to let him go soon. Why not now?

My attempts to give some ways for Woody to turn things around, are just because I think the top couple paragraphs will win the day, and he'll get another year. So might as well think of some ways he can be successful??!
Near the top of the conference is fools gold.
Only tie breakers got them that high.
Crean..A complete clown .
Won two outright championships.
Woodson won't sniff that !!

Easy means players can come and go as they please
I get what you’re saying.

To me the portal means you can quickly build a new roster vs pre-portal it took longer as you had to wait for most kids to graduate high school (ofc there were some jucos and xfers).

Also, if your program is on the downward trend, the portal can accelerate the spiral as players can escape the sinking ship easily via portal.

I get what you’re saying.

To me the portal means you can quickly build a new roster vs pre-portal it took longer as you had to wait for most kids to graduate high school (ofc there were some jucos and xfers).

Also, if your program is on the downward trend, the portal can accelerate the spiral as players can escape the sinking ship easily via portal.
The portal giveth. The portal taketh away. It’s biblical. Or something.

If IU hadn't hired and then fired 4 coaches and 1 interim drunk previously, it probably wouldn't matter, if the last coach was only here more than 4 years, it probably wouldn't matter but like any employer with high turnover it points to a toxic dysfunctional organization.

The source of the toxicity can be management, personnel, bad product and/or customers ... or all of them combined. This is not a secure employment opportunity. This program has a lot of baggage attached to it ..

At most schools a bad season carries the weight of a bad season. At IU a single missed jumper carries the weight of 20+ years of un-met customer and investor expectations. Hyperbolas I know, but not that far from the truth.

It will take a very special coach to turn it around and due to our previous hiring and firing practices, the talent pool who will want this challenge is now very small. There's much better jobs elsewhere..

Last edited:
If IU hadn't hired and then fired 4 coaches and 1 interim drunk previously, it probably wouldn't matter, if the last coach was only here more than 4 years, it probably wouldn't matter but like any employer with high turnover it points to a toxic dysfunctional organization.

The source of the toxicity can be management, personnel, bad product and/or customers ... or all of them combined. This is not a secure employment opportunity. This program has a lot of baggage attached to it ..

At most schools a bad season carries the weight of a bad season. At IU a single missed jump shot carries the weight of 20+ years of un-met customer and investor expectations. Hyperbolas I know, but not that far from the truth.

It will take a very special coach to turn it around and due to our previous hiring and firing practices, the talent pool who will want this challenge is now very small. There's much better jobs elsewhere..
Dumb.

At most schools a bad season carries the weight of a bad season. At IU a single missed jump shot carries the weight of 20+ years of un-met customer and investor expectations. Hyperbolas I know, but not that far from the truth.

Which is tougher, IU basketball or IU football? Seems obvious to me, but it appears we hired a badass who’s not about to back down to over 100 years of whatever word is worse than mediocrity. I’m pretty confident there’s another badass basketball coach out there. Hint: Woody ain’t it.

At most schools a bad season carries the weight of a bad season. At IU a single missed jumper carries the weight of 20+ years of un-met customer and investor expectations. Hyperbolas I know, but not that far from the truth.

I agree with you, dysfunctional organization yes. Completely mismanaged for 20 some years. But I don't buy the BS that nobody wants the job.

He will not change one thing next year. Listen to his excuses he blames everyone else or injuries. He 100% thinks what he is doing is right and he will continue to do the same thing again. Bringing him back is beyond foolish for the long term success of the program.

I agree with you, dysfunctional organization yes. Completely mismanaged for 20 some years. But I don't buy the BS that nobody wants the job.
Why do you think we hired Woodson? There is still a lot of "that's not how Knight did things" among our fanbase.

Reactions: indiana ed
Why do you think we hired Woodson? There is still a lot of "that's not how Knight did things" among our fanbase.
Once they realized Stevens was not coming Quinn said we are hiring Woodson and the search was done. There never really was never a search Quinn made the call and it was over with. HE was hired is because he is quinn's buddy and they somehow thought that because he played at IU 40 years the glory days could simply be brought back by him no problem. NBA coaches never make it it college.

Once they realized Stevens was not coming Quinn said we are hiring Woodson and the search was done. There never really was never a search Quinn made the call and it was over with. HE was hired is because he is quinn's buddy and they somehow thought that because he played at IU 40 years the glory days could simply be brought back by him no problem. NBA coaches never make it it college.
Source?

Reactions: Al Bino
That's why Assembly Hall is filled with fans. IU is Iowa if not for the longtime fans. 12-16 losses a year for about 8 years in a row.
Don't get me wrong, we are as loyal fan base as there is anywhere. I'm saying the bar is also as high as it is anywhere. Coaches are evaluated based on titles. I'm okay with that, but it probably makes a lot of coaches think twice.

Good coaches are thinking about conference titles, tourney runs, championships, big wins, and being the man. Winner mentality.

If they are worried about how long they survive doing Woody or Archie type stuff, they aren’t for us. No good bball school would put up with Woody or Archie results either.

Win the conference and make a tourney run (not a championship) and you’ll be coaching at IU for a while..

Last edited:

Yes, let's see some proof!

I don’t believe so.
Donald Trump GIF

I do not need a source it is pretty obvious what happened. They hired a guy nobobdy else wanted at all and he would never have been even looked at if he had not gone to IU. And there are numerous articles which state Quinn was the main player in getting him the IU job. You can search them on google.

A lot of us look at Coach Chris Beard at Ole Miss and wonder how he could turn things around in 1 YEAR! Now he hit the portal. Obiously Coach Woodson couldn't do that as well. One thing I don't like about IU's recruiting is they are just throwing money to try to get highly rated players without thinking about the player's heart and fit within the team.

Shocking, isn't it, with the way Woody's teams dominated the NBA?

Oh wait...

A lot of us look at Coach Chris Beard at Ole Miss and wonder how he could turn things around in 1 YEAR! Now he hit the portal. Obiously Coach Woodson couldn't do that as well. One thing I don't like about IU's recruiting is they are just throwing money to try to get highly rated players without thinking about the player's heart and fit within the team.
Without NIL, Woody wouldn't be able to field a team. You've seen his press conferences. I'm fairly certain MW doesn't have the ability to lure recruits without offering a bag of cash.

Side note: I implore everyone to drop the C from CMW. He doesn't deserve that letter.

I do not need a source it is pretty obvious what happened. They hired a guy nobobdy else wanted at all and he would never have been even looked at if he had not gone to IU. And there are numerous articles which state Quinn was the main player in getting him the IU job. You can search them on google.

Yea right.

Reactions: bawlmer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT