ADVERTISEMENT

Prejudice against the vertically challenged

Bear?
p22415653_b_v13_ab.jpg

or

images
Bear:

We used to have an Australian Shepherd named Bear; shortened from Teddy Bear when we got him.

• Love
Reactions: larsIU
I don't think it helps "old people eyes". If you're using bifocals, it won't fix that. IIUC, it's great for stright up nearsightedness but that's it.
You will still need cheaters. That I can live with…I despise having to wear glasses at a basketball game or driving or…

I envy short people when i fly.
That is true to a certain extent but once a flight is in the air and it's legal my wife always pulls out the carryon bag under the seat in from of her to put her feet on because her feet doesn't touch the floor just sitting in a seat and that makes her legs go to sleep or get really tired.
On the other hand, when we get to our destination she can stand up under the bulkhead where the carryon bags are stowed. :)

That is true to a certain extent but once a flight is in the air and it's legal my wife always pulls out the carryon bag under the seat in from of her to put her feet on because her feet doesn't touch the floor just sitting in a seat and that makes her legs go to sleep or get really tired.
On the other hand, when we get to our destination she can stand up under the bulkhead where the carryon bags are stowed. :)
That's funny.

LASIK…is probably in my future. I hate the idea of it but I’m also growing tired of wearing glasses
I've had LASIK with a complication. I can recommend doing it. Of course I had coke-bottle-bottom thick glasses with a -10 diopter prescription and a helluvan astigmatism, so my motivation was high. Colors were entirely washed out in the lenses of my glasses . . . .

An opthalmologist did the surgery - both eyes at the same time - as part of the study for general FDA approval study. Mine were among the first fifty pairs of eyes done in the US. He had done hundreds of LASIK surgeries in Saudi Arabia prior to coming to Emory University in Atlanta. If you want his name, I'd be happy to give it to you.

The complication I had was that the flap cut from my left eye got stuck to my eyelid overnight the first night. So I went in the next day - a Saturday - and the surgeon "ironed" the flap so it was relatively flat. It's healed nicely . . . that said the doc said that I was not his favorite patient because I was too anxious about my eyes.

As explained to me, there's a hardware component (the modified eye) and a software (brain) component. Once the hardware component was in place, the brain has to interpret the signals sent by the eyes. I have no problem wearing sunglasses, playing golf, driving (even at night - no halos around lights), or seeing the lighted clock at night. All of those things were issues prior to the surgery. So it must've worked fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartans9312
I don't think it helps "old people eyes". If you're using bifocals, it won't fix that. IIUC, it's great for stright up nearsightedness but that's it.
Correct . . . LASIK doesn't correct presbyopia, which results when old folks' eyes no longer can adjust the eye's lenses to a level for close work. I still use +1.25 drugstore "cheat" glasses.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
Isn’t that a bad idea after a certain age?
I was told the opposite when I had mine done 28 years ago. The doc said that they prefer to wait until age 50 so that the eyes have become as nearsighted as they are going to be. He said my history revealed sufficient need and stability that I was a good candidate, despite my relatively young age.

I was told the opposite when I had mine done 28 years ago. The doc said that they prefer to wait until age 50 so that the eyes have become as nearsighted as they are going to be. He said my history revealed sufficient need and stability that I was a good candidate, despite my relatively young age.
I have 2 years until 50. My dad had LASIK and is happy with the results. He says that he has to use artificial tears at times and of course cheaters.

I have 2 years until 50. My dad had LASIK and is happy with the results. He says that he has to use artificial tears at times and of course cheaters.
Yeah, I used artificial tears during the healing process - it helps to keep the "sand in your eye" irritation down - and cheaters, of course.

Reactions: Spartans9312
My Tilt o Whirl daughter and my wife both have that "problem". I periodically joke with them about setting on the toilet and their legs going to sleep because their feet don't touch the ground.
The wife gives a good eye roll, while tilt o whirl goes into tazmanian devil mode until she sees a squirrel or something shiny.

You're probably joking but.......it's real and it's AMAZING
As someone with a 5'4" wife, I'm deadly blanking serious.

The one we have is more curved and nests right up against the throne's base, so it's out of the way when it's not needed.

Reactions: larsIU

Check out monovision Lasik.... it can eliminate need for reading glasses too.

• Wow
Reactions: Sope Creek
My Tilt o Whirl daughter and my wife both have that "problem". I periodically joke with them about setting on the toilet and their legs going to sleep because their feet don't touch the ground.
The wife gives a good eye roll, while tilt o whirl goes into tazmanian devil mode until she sees a squirrel or something shiny.
Yeah sometimes people at work would come into my office space looking for my wife and say "I've been looking and low for your wife". My stand reply was "Well you've been wasting 50% of your time". :)

Seriously, she may be small but she sure can get a lot done.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Check out monovision Lasik.... it can eliminate need for reading glasses too.

That's how they said they did my LASIK . . . I can see distance with one eye and the other is supposed to be for close work. I guess age trumps that though . . . I still have to wear cheaters.

Reactions: twenty02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT