ADVERTISEMENT

Prejudice against the vertically challenged

Yeah sometimes people at work would come into my office space looking for my wife and say "I've been looking and low for your wife". My stand reply was "Well you've been wasting 50% of your time". :)
Depends, doesn't it? On whether she's been smoking something?

That's how they said they did my LASIK . . . I can see distance with one eye and the other is supposed to be for close work. I guess age trumps that though . . . I still have to wear cheaters.
Is your vision blurry at all then while using two eyes? Are you supposed to close one eye to read in that situation?

Is your vision blurry at all then while using two eyes? Are you supposed to close one eye to read in that situation?
I suspect that hardware vs. software thing comes into play. Brain trains itself to use one eye as the dominant in different circumstances.

I suspect that hardware vs. software thing comes into play. Brain trains itself to use one eye as the dominant in different circumstances.
I've been told this is an option for me. Just in the last year, I've needed glasses for reading and working, whereas I always was just nearsighted. I can't get used to progressives, so I'm left screwing around with two pairs of glasses all day, or wearing contacts and then readers. I just want to see, damn it!

I've been told this is an option for me. Just in the last year, I've needed glasses for reading and working, whereas I always was just nearsighted. I can't get used to progressives, so I'm left screwing around with two pairs of glasses all day, or wearing contacts and then readers. I just want to see, damn it!
I had better luck with regular bifocals instead of progressives, especially after computer use became central to both work and play.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I just went to progressives at Christmas time. It took a few days for the nausea to stop poking it's head up and about 3 weeks to get full adjusted. I tried multi focal contacts and progressives before, but couldn't get adjusted.

New eye doc who asked me questions and understood what I'd be using them for made a huge difference. There are different lenses that give different fields of view. I have hardly any peripheral distortion now and can look down the barrel of a shotgun and still tie a hook on thin line. I wish I would have gone to her sooner.

I bought a second pair that was just for sitting in front of the computer, but I've barely used them since I got adjusted to the new progressives.

Nope.

There are hardware (the surgically modified eye) and software (the brain) components to this. The software makes up - compensates - for the hardware deficiencies.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
From the article:

She added, “Right now, it’s looking like he’ll be 5’4 when he’s done growing, but if I can help my child not be 5’4, I’m going to.”

I'm 5'4". It's not been any fun, but I resigned myself to it a long time ago.

Depending on the actual risk involved (everything has a risk), I'd have much preferred to not be short and called Stumpy and not been able to have even a modicum of success in sports and all the other things that went along with it. I wear glasses too, and put up with Four Eyes and such. I doubt getting HGH or contacts would have made a huge difference in my later life, but it would have made my youth a lot less shitty.
I am 5'5" and I have hated it all my life. People look for leadership from tall people. Women go towards the tall man almost as much as the wealthy man.

I am 5'5" and I have hated it all my life. People look for leadership from tall people. Women go towards the tall man almost as much as the wealthy man.
Farva, I always figured you were closer to your namesake.

Also, how the f*ck did you get back over that fence?

• Haha
Reactions: Baller23Boogie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT