ADVERTISEMENT

Pelosi is separating Homeland Security from the rest

iuwclurker

All-American
Jul 6, 2015
of the funding bills, and the House will approve Republican Senate bills tonight or tomorrow. A top House ledaer said tonight these bills passed the Senate with 90 votes. I don't see why the Senate doesn't just pass these bills then override Trump's veto. Seems like a no-brainer.

Shrewd politics here by the Dems. Passing the same bill to reopen govt that the Senate already easily passed.

Now Mitch is going to run cover for Trump.....if they were to pass the same thing they voted for 2 weeks ago it would sit entirely on the POTUS to veto a govt funding bill.

Don't know how they get out of this mess. Both sides super dug in. Trump was just repudiated at the ballot box.... he really doesn't get politics. He had one shot for the wall money....it was 2017.

Shrewd politics here by the Dems. Passing the same bill to reopen govt that the Senate already easily passed.

Now Mitch is going to run cover for Trump.....if they were to pass the same thing they voted for 2 weeks ago it would sit entirely on the POTUS.

Trump is very terrible at DC politics.
I'm surprised the House can't just vote on the bills the Senate actually passed, thus skipping McConnell (because they already voted on it), and send it straight to Trump. Evidently, that's not an option.

I'm surprised the House can't just vote on the bills the Senate actually passed, thus skipping McConnell (because they already voted on it), and send it straight to Trump. Evidently, that's not an option.

That was passed by the prior Congress....not the one that just was seated today.

That was passed by the prior Congress....not the one that just was seated today.
I guess that makes sense.

What really strikes me though, is that the House Democrat (forgot his name) I saw on PBS tonight asserted the Senate had 90 votes on those bills, but didn't point out that's far more than enough to overcome a veto. That's seems like the pressure point here on McConnell.

What really strikes me though, is that the House Democrat (forgot his name) I saw on PBS tonight asserted the Senate had 90 votes on those bills, but didn't point out that's far more than enough to overcome a veto. That's seems like the pressure point here on McConnell.
The MSM are even saying it's dead on arrival in teh Senate because of the 53-47 majority. Huh? How stupid are these dumbphuques?

I don't think people are that dumb.... They know it's Trump that is one forcing the shutdown...both supporters and opponents...hell he said as much just a few weeks ago that it was on him.

But the political show by McConnell makes me laugh.

I don't think people are that dumb.... They know it's Trump that is one forcing the shutdown...both supporters and opponents...hell he said as much just a few weeks ago that it was on him.

Talking about the MSM commentators. Keep saying it's DOA in the Senate. Finally just heard Kelsey Snell say the Senate could override the veto, but doesn't think the politics are there. First one who even acknowledged the possibility.

Talking about the MSM commentators. Keep saying it's DOA in the Senate. Finally just heard Kelsey Snell say the Senate could override the veto, but doesn't think the politics are there. First one who even acknowledged the possibility.
THe point is, though, the Democrats have a leverage point on McConnell, just by contrasting the 90 votes last month with the intransigence now. That puts the problem on Trump and the Senate Republicans, making it blatantly obvious it's not the Democrats who are being stubborn (which they otherwise are -- the citizenry can say, just compromise and open the government).

THe point is, though, the Democrats have a leverage point on McConnell, just by contrasting the 90 votes last month with the intransigence now. That puts the problem on Trump and the Senate Republicans, making it blatantly obvious it's not the Democrats who are being stubborn (which they otherwise are -- the citizenry can say, just compromise and open the government).

Are you debating yourself now? Are you winning?

End game is DREAM ACT + Mueller protection bill for some token amount of border fencing that is not a wall that's less than 5 billion.

End game is DREAM ACT + Mueller protection bill for some token amount of border fencing that is not a wall that's less than 5 billion.
I was wondering what the Dems should take, minimally, in exchange for Trump's border wall. Far weaker would be to let him save face. Demand at least what you're saying, but what else could they squeeze out of this? Trump's dying to build that wall. He's got no leverage whatsoever. The Dems could let him shut the Government for two years and it would crush him in 2020.

I was wondering what the Dems should take, minimally, in exchange for Trump's border wall. Far weaker would be to let him save face. Demand at least what you're saying, but what else could they squeeze out of this? Trump's dying to build that wall. He's got no leverage whatsoever. The Dems could let him shut the Government for two years and it would crush him in 2020.

The shutdown will not last past the end of January. Currently, not much of the public at large is affected by the shutdown. However, the IRS is furloughed, when those W2's start going out at the end if the month and people start filing their taxes is when the pressure will be on. Early filers generally are those who are expecting a return, the IRS personnel that handle that are currently not working. If those two realities overlap, pressure will increase immensely on both sides to get something done.

Yeah, McConnell is in a tough spot. There are many Republican Senators from farm states who don't want a vote. Many farmers are in a cashflow crunch and this is holding up MFP payments. But those states are also full of the hardcore Trump supporters(often they're one and the same people)who want to validate their vote by Trump getting a wall. They haven't grown tired of winning... yet. How could they?

I think his hard core supporters are cheering Trump on.

Reactions: sglowrider

Agreed that there's other options. Maybe Universal gun background checks? Basically anything with bipartisan support that's been clogged up by Sen. Turtle/Ryan.

Ultimately for me to support a deal, the Dems need to get something from Trump/the Senate that Trump *didn't take hostage*. Just a temporary DACA fix is a non-starter since that's something Trump manufactured a crisis on in order to try to get leverage.

If the hostage-taking hadn't happened, we could get something closer to a true win/win, but a "I get some of what I want and you get back what I took hostage" is unacceptable.

Reactions: iuwclurker
Agreed that there's other options. Maybe Universal gun background checks? Basically anything with bipartisan support that's been clogged up by Sen. Turtle/Ryan.

Ultimately for me to support a deal, the Dems need to get something from Trump/the Senate that Trump *didn't take hostage*. Just a temporary DACA fix is a non-starter since that's something Trump manufactured a crisis on in order to try to get leverage.

If the hostage-taking hadn't happened, we could get something closer to a true win/win, but a "I get some of what I want and you get back what I took hostage" is unacceptable.
Good point. I love this situation for one basic reason -- I'd like to see the liberals show some solid spine for once.

Someone needs to do a poster.

2qhhc1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT