ADVERTISEMENT

Passout policy retracted?

Perhaps the thought process by the walkouts was the following: if the Hoosiers can make a game of it in the fourth quarter I can always go back in; the halftime show is a non-event; I would like some decent food and a cold beer; and I would like to enjoy a Saturday afternoon with my friends.

Well, now one can get cold beer and better food. Still can’t count on an enjoyable second half and the big wins are still few and far between. The half-time show…… enough said. Hanging out with friends in the parking lot - winning football would change everything.

People will likely still choose to leave at halftime until the second-half outcomes are in doubt.

Source?
Got to believe Buffalouie’s, Yogi’s, Social Cantina and Avers believe there will not be pass outs

Trust me when I say, it is from the best of sources, it is a fact. My bet is , those businesses will still get more business than they can handle .

If Johnsy says it you can take it to the bank.

If will be interesting to hear CCC response when 75% of the students leave at halftime and don’t return for the second half.
To be honest, I was very impressed with the student section last year with their turnout and percentage that stayed.

The only one I remember that got bad was the night game vs. Akron where the stadium was EMPTY at the end, and there was a small but rowdy contingent of students that crossed the stadium each OT period that switched sides.

They were certainly much better than the folks at the Rooftop around us. It would be PACKED at the start of the game, usually thin to start the 3rd, and damn near empty to start the 4th. And that's WITH free food & easy beer options.

How did this shake out? We were there but never went into the concourse during the game except to get a couple beers. So....

Was the no pass out thing implemented? Did that contribute to fans who left at halftime and didn't return?

Cig commented as many here predicted he would. :) “... Another thing we’re trying to change in tradition is we've got to keep the people in the seats after halftime,” said Cignetti, whose name appeared on a T-shirt handed out to the student section with a logo similar to Marlboro cigarettes. “We need to create a Power Four environment in the stadium. But we've got to play better, too.”

It will take time to change, it's bad as we know, especially with less exciting opponents.

If we can play reasonably well and have a chance to beat decent teams and the wins start to impact bowl eligibility, 2nd half attendance will improve. Even then it will take time.

Cig commented as many here predicted he would. :) “... Another thing we’re trying to change in tradition is we've got to keep the people in the seats after halftime,” said Cignetti, whose name appeared on a T-shirt handed out to the student section with a logo similar to Marlboro cigarettes. “We need to create a Power Four environment in the stadium. But we've got to play better, too.”

It was disappointing. The students did well last season hanging in for most of the game. Better than I can ever recall. Yesterday, I'd estimate that 60% of them left at halftime. By late 3rd quarter, I'd say it was 80%. Our seats are in Section 27. I think that 80% by the end of the 3rd holds true for our surrounds as well. Guess I was thinking it would be better given the "start of a new era" and all.

The way the attendance shook out for this game was different than I'd ever seen. The east stands were really quite full. The West stands were really pretty sparse. I know that they did some tinkering with the student section and I'm sure that's part of it.

Anyway, still wondering if the bo pass out thing happened and if it affected the second half exodus.

Reactions: red hornet
It was disappointing. The students did well last season hanging in for most of the game. Better than I can ever recall. Yesterday, I'd estimate that 60% of them left at halftime. By late 3rd quarter, I'd say it was 80%. Our seats are in Section 27. I think that 80% by the end of the 3rd holds true for our surrounds as well. Guess I was thinking it would be better given the "start of a new era" and all.

The way the attendance shook out for this game was different than I'd ever seen. The east stands were really quite full. The West stands were really pretty sparse. I know that they did some tinkering with the student section and I'm sure that's part of it.

Anyway, still wondering if the bo pass out thing happened and if it affected the second half exodus.
As I said above, there were pass outs, and you were free to return, I know because I did (leave at half and return). I just don’t think as many students ever left and returned as alumni because they don’t have as many options close to the stadium to get out and back. I’m afraid when students leave , they leave and don’t return .

It will take time to change, it's bad as we know, especially with less exciting opponents.

If we can play reasonably well and have a chance to beat decent teams and the wins start to impact bowl eligibility, 2nd half attendance will improve. Even then it will take time.
I can 100% see what ccc is talking about. I've never been to another stadium where you see season ticket holders who tell you they've never missed a game in 30 years, who also get up and leave some time in the 3rd quarter.

I heard someone in the Hoosier Hundred lot say they were going to wait until next year before starting the new policy.

I was up in the nosebleed section and the food there wasn’t anything special. The pretzel with cheese dip I ate was very meh. Ben’s Pretzels on the lower concourse had a line at least 30 long and wasn’t moving fast. They were rolling out the dough right there so they had to be freshly baked and delicious in explanation of all the patient people. Does anyone have a report on Buffalouies’ performance on the east side?

This is an interesting observation. We sit in the west stands and from there it looked like the east stands were fairly sparse. Couldn’t really see what the west stands looked like.

• Wow
Reactions: Vern Pain
This is an interesting observation. We sit in the west stands and from there it looked like the east stands were fairly sparse. Couldn’t really see what the west stands looked like.
My wife and I were in section 27, row 45, great seats for 1st year season ticket holders. It was SPARSE on both sides. The only section filled in - and the only section making noise - was the student section. They were awesome in the 1st half!! And then they left.

IU football fans do not deserve a good team, let alone a great team. With all of the changes, coaching hires, NIL infusion, and cheerleading by CCC, I expected close to a sellout. That 44,000 figure mentioned above is complete horsesh!t. A lot of season ticket holders did not show. There were numerous pre-placed seat cushions with no asses on them. Why not transfer the tickets to some buddies who would go?? OK, now I'm more worked up over attendance than I've been over team play the last few years. <<BREATHE>>

My wife and I were in section 27, row 45, great seats for 1st year season ticket holders. It was SPARSE on both sides. The only section filled in - and the only section making noise - was the student section. They were awesome in the 1st half!! And then they left.

IU football fans do not deserve a good team, let alone a great team. With all of the changes, coaching hires, NIL infusion, and cheerleading by CCC, I expected close to a sellout. That 44,000 figure mentioned above is complete horsesh!t. A lot of season ticket holders did not show. There were numerous pre-placed seat cushions with no asses on them. Why not transfer the tickets to some buddies who would go?? OK, now I'm more worked up over attendance than I've been over team play the last few years. <<BREATHE>>
Yeah. Being a long time ticket holder, that is basically the way it is. When Allen had it going it was much better but we know how that went. Cig gets them rolling and it will improve a lot.

Reactions: red hornet

I noticed a lot, the Hoosier Hundred lot, of open spaces throughout it. Have the “fat cats” grown complacent in attendance or is the university having trouble filling it to capacity in diminished desire, exasperated by mounting years in performance futility? Was it Covid that lost our mojo, no longer working? Is the cosmic consciousness of our local universe just in a funk and we don’t know it? What’s really going on here? Something’s not quite right and I’m having trouble putting my finger on it. The lot should be full with lots of cars, a lot more often.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT