ADVERTISEMENT

Our Players are now fighting on Instagram with strangers…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to call it "Unsocial Media." Half of today's kids can't even look you in the eye when you try to talk to them.

That is why you see so many of them freaking out recently when employers are telling them they have to come back into the office to work. They have no idea how to interact face to face with other people. They would rather stare at a computer screen or a phone for 17 hours a day.

Reactions: Lucy01
I like to call it "Unsocial Media." Half of today's kids can't even look you in the eye when you try to talk to them.
so true....my sons still struggle sometimes with what they call the 'boomer greeting'...a handshake and look 'em in the eyes. they tell me that went out with sandals, white socks and blue jean jorts. I tell them "just wait" as I clip my cell phone back into its belt holster.

last part was TIC

Yeah on a greeting, a smile, handshake. look into the eyes. Conveys sincerity.

But someone who is constantly staring you in the eyes for an entire conversation can get a little weird.

In an entirely different NCAA period where there were fewer teams and thus games to play (thus allowing for fewer surprises) and with very restricted geographic comstraints, UCLA under Wooden had to wait 13 seasons before getting to a Final Four. They did not win the tournament that year, Cincinnati did. UCLA did reasonably well after that initial appearance. The tournament is harder to win as there are more games and no geographic constraints. Luck is also more of a factor in the tournament than in the past.

As for UK, that fanbase is irrational. I place them up there with Texas football fans as having unrealistic expectations. I do find your commentary curious, given the general disdain applied to them by this site. Aren't they recognized cheaters? (Death penalty anyone?) Aren't they cowards in their scheduling? I seem to recall reading that here. So now they are the fanbase that is a good line for comparison? That seems to be an odd suggestion given this site's posting history.

You seem to believe with certainty that something that has not happened before cannot happen. History in general and sports history in particular is replete with examples that deny that maxim. TCU won a national championship in 1938 and played for one Monday, albeit unsuccessfully. Your post suggests that they should not have gotten that far. By the way, Texas, a premier HS football state, had never had a team in the championship game until this week. UVa was nationally known in the Ralph Sampson era (early 1980s), but it took a very lucky game to get to the Final Four and then win it- more than 35 years. UConn had 13 seasons with Calhoun before they got to a Final Four. I guess that they should have fired him before that following your rule. The UConn team that won with Kemba Walker was among the last entrants to the field, only got in because they won the BE Tournament as a low seed and got hot. They clearly were not the best team but were lucky champions.

Again, writing about the future with certainty is ignorant or foolish or both. You have done that.

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
This is a big nothing 🍔

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

I always knew it would fail it was doomed from the start and almost seemed forced. His only hope was landing kentucky type talent. But I did think with a veteran team and an all american they would bail him out the first few years with NCAA berths. Well not likely now.
"Kentucky type talent", you say? Why!

The voters in the national polls obviously disagree with you. Your comment reeks of sour grapes and ignorance.

As for the beginning of the season: they were simply wrong in their predictions. They underestimated Purdue and overestimated Duke, Kentucky, UNC and IU.

You just don't realize that IU has become the Norma Desmond of college basketball.
And, Purdue is the Purdue of college basketball.

And, Purdue is the Purdue of college basketball.
You write as if that is a bad thing.

As for the comments about relevance, all one has to do is look today at cbssports.com where there is a large article about Painter and Purdue. It is quite complimentary.

"Painter's coaching acumen has been held in high regard for a long time. But it's how he recruits to his style -- with unwavering conviction in guys he target -- that's made him a top-10 coach in the eyes of many. Third-ranked Purdue is 15-1, tracking toward a top seed, and Painter's threaded a needle that is wowing others in the profession."

"Painter makes it look easy, but to do what he's done in recruiting + on-court success is something few other coaches have the capacity to pull off."

It seems to me that when national media is writing stories about how well you are doing that makes you relevant; certainly it does to the writers.

As for the comments about relevance, all one has to do is look today at cbssports.com where there is a large article about Painter and Purdue. It is quite complimentary.

"Painter's coaching acumen has been held in high regard for a long time. But it's how he recruits to his style -- with unwavering conviction in guys he target -- that's made him a top-10 coach in the eyes of many. Third-ranked Purdue is 15-1, tracking toward a top seed, and Painter's threaded a needle that is wowing others in the profession."

"Painter makes it look easy, but to do what he's done in recruiting + on-court success is something few other coaches have the capacity to pull off."

It seems to me that when national media is writing stories about how well you are doing that makes you relevant; certainly it does to the writers.
I go to cbssports once a year and that's to print off a bracket. Guessing that's the only time many others do as well. Nobody cares what Matt Norlander and Gary Parrish have to say about basketball, neither have picked up a basketball in their life. It would be similar to me listening to you for life advice, I wouldn't because you have none.

Back to the pig pen.

Reactions: IUgradman
I go to cbssports once a year and that's to print off a bracket. Guessing that's the only time many others do as well. Nobody cares what Matt Norlander and Gary Parrish have to say about basketball, neither have picked up a basketball in their life. It would be similar to me listening to you for life advice, I wouldn't because you have none.

Back to the pig pen.

Hi Coach Geez!
Spot on that nobody cares and rather get their college basketball insight from faceless wonders like old dried out coaches(middle school girls?).

It's difficult right now isn't it. Not much hope on the horizon and feeling distraught I'm guessing. Have your health still??

Hi Coach Geez!
Spot on that nobody cares and rather get their college basketball insight from faceless wonders like old dried out coaches(middle school girls?).

It's difficult right now isn't it. Not much hope on the horizon and feeling distraught I'm guessing. Have your health still??
Red Gold let you take first shift this week? Has to be a confidence booster for you to start the new year.

Red Gold let you take first shift this week? Has to be a confidence booster for you to start the new year.
And I was trying to appeal to that basketball acumen was something that was admirable. Damn

Enjoy the game tonight

Last edited:
In an entirely different NCAA period where there were fewer teams and thus games to play (thus allowing for fewer surprises) and with very restricted geographic comstraints, UCLA under Wooden had to wait 13 seasons before getting to a Final Four. They did not win the tournament that year, Cincinnati did. UCLA did reasonably well after that initial appearance. The tournament is harder to win as there are more games and no geographic constraints. Luck is also more of a factor in the tournament than in the past.

As for UK, that fanbase is irrational. I place them up there with Texas football fans as having unrealistic expectations. I do find your commentary curious, given the general disdain applied to them by this site. Aren't they recognized cheaters? (Death penalty anyone?) Aren't they cowards in their scheduling? I seem to recall reading that here. So now they are the fanbase that is a good line for comparison? That seems to be an odd suggestion given this site's posting history.

You seem to believe with certainty that something that has not happened before cannot happen. History in general and sports history in particular is replete with examples that deny that maxim. TCU won a national championship in 1938 and played for one Monday, albeit unsuccessfully. Your post suggests that they should not have gotten that far. By the way, Texas, a premier HS football state, had never had a team in the championship game until this week. UVa was nationally known in the Ralph Sampson era (early 1980s), but it took a very lucky game to get to the Final Four and then win it- more than 35 years. UConn had 13 seasons with Calhoun before they got to a Final Four. I guess that they should have fired him before that following your rule. The UConn team that won with Kemba Walker was among the last entrants to the field, only got in because they won the BE Tournament as a low seed and got hot. They clearly were not the best team but were lucky champions.

Again, writing about the future with certainty is ignorant or foolish or both. You have done that.
Long story short is you are talking about programs that have accomplished something and programs that have not. 1980 was a long time ago, and Painter is losing to mid-majors as of late. Wake me up when PU actually accomplishes something and achieves something that has not occurred since 1980.

Look no further than Gene Keady for an example of a coach that never reached the promised land. Painter is on the same track, and there is way more evidence that he won't ever make it.

Back to the pig pen.
I would think that the superiors at CBSSPORTS.COM that write Norlander's and Parrish's employment contracts must think that the general public that reads what they write places value upon their opinions. Perhaps that is just me. I always thought that as part of a for-profit corporation, the CBSSPORTS.COM folks would employ writers that readers and advertisers would think to have worthwhile ideas.

There's no way he is employed. He spends most of his time on this free site as a troll: they don't pay for that.

I would pay to see him speak to people this way in person: he would get punched out on a regular basis.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Long story short is you are talking about programs that have accomplished something and programs that have not. 1980 was a long time ago, and Painter is losing to mid-majors as of late. Wake me up when PU actually accomplishes something and achieved something that has not occurred since 1980.
You are glaringly missing the key point: you cannot say something will never happen. It might seem rare to you, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Black swan events occur every day. You are the poster that claims people should be fired within X time for something to occur. I gave examples of coaches taking longer than you would have given them before achieving a FF. They then had success.

I am glad that you gave up your "Mediocre Matt" meme that you used to post regularly. I guess that became untenable even for you.

There's no way he is employed. He spends most of his time on this free site as a troll: they don't pay for that.

I would pay to see him speak to people this way in person: he would get punched out on a regular basis.
Jimbo
Your commentary , insight , and well thought out responses and creativity is why I’m here

The humor is top notch. All 7500 responses!

They know the ship is sinking and now trying to find a scapegoat. This is pathetic, especially from Trayce. He’s 23 and making around a million (speculation). Just deal with it. Grow up

Nasty fan mail, radio, etc is as old as time. Grow up man. Just running IU through the mud.
I’m lazy and people talk shit about me and I only make like 30k/ year….I deal with it pretty well.

Reactions: salient43
You are glaringly missing the key point: you cannot say something will never happen. It might seem rare to you, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Black swan events occur every day. You are the poster that claims people should be fired within X time for something to occur. I gave examples of coaches taking longer than you would have given them before achieving a FF. They then had success.

I am glad that you gave up your "Mediocre Matt" meme that you used to post regularly. I guess that became untenable even for you.
Mediocre Matt appears in March. It's still January.

Mediocre Matt appears in March. It's still January.
And it is as ridiculous then as it is now.

I get that you don't like Painter but to maintain that he is a mediocre coach is absurd. Are all these professionals talking and writing while praising his coaching foolish? As I wrote, it is simply untenable.

That is why you see so many of them freaking out recently when employers are telling them they have to come back into the office to work. They have no idea how to interact face to face with other people. They would rather stare at a computer screen or a phone for 17 hours a day.
I don't think it's that they're afraid of social interaction, it's just that what they consume online is snarky stupid shit, politics, insults, and what somebody ate for lunch

Texas won the football championship over USC in an upset about 15 years ago, so history

You forgot to include the part about “while his regular season success hasn’t lead to tournament success…. “

I'll have to take your word for it since you have a lot of 1st hand experience in the foolish and ignorant department.
Interesting comment, based upon your past postings. I recall quite well your posts in a different thread here that there was no way Smith would be successful at the point guard position. The season is halfway done and that analysis is not looking too strong. I also recall your posts in which you said that you liked Loyer as a recruit but strongly argued against a poster that said he would average 12-14 points per game. I believe that you characterized that prediction as silly. For the record, Loyer is presently averaging 12.4 points per game.

So which of us is foolish and ignorant?

I can say something will never happen. You will never bang Jennifer Aniston. You do have just as good of a shot at bagging her as Painter has at a national championship at Purdue, though.

Interesting comment, based upon your past postings. I recall quite well your posts in a different thread here that there was no way Smith would be successful at the point guard position. The season is halfway done and that analysis is not looking too strong. I also recall your posts in which you said that you liked Loyer as a recruit but strongly argued against a poster that said he would average 12-14 points per game. I believe that you characterized that prediction as silly. For the record, Loyer is presently averaging 12.4 points per game.

sustained!

And it is as ridiculous then as it is now.

I get that you don't like Painter but to maintain that he is a mediocre coach is absurd. Are all these professionals talking and writing while praising his coaching foolish? As I wrote, it is simply untenable.
He’s not mediocre. Just held back by lack of resources and tradition at Purdue.

Go find where I said Smith would be unsuccessful as a PG. I said he had no chance at Big Ten Freshman of the year, and he doesn’t.

I didn’t think Loyer would be allowed to take whatever shot he wanted. Guy has never seen a shot he doesn’t like regardless if he’s hitting or not.

I don't think it's that they're afraid of social interaction, it's just that what they consume online is snarky stupid shit, politics, insults, and what somebody ate for lunch

Texas won the football championship over USC in an upset about 15 years ago, so history
That was not in the college football playoff. I wrote that no Texas school was in the national playoff championship game. That is a correct statement. The Texas team to which you referred was 2005. The College Football Payoff system began in 2015.

I did not say that a Texas team has not won a national championship. Texas has won several; but they were voted National Championships. The same is true of Army, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Penn State, USC, Florida and Washington.

Plus, I thought voted national championships didn't count on this site.

You lost me when you started comparing PU to John Wooden and other programs that have accomplished something. You seem to be lost on the fact that "achieving a goal" and "NOT achieving a goal" are two separate things.

PU is the only program that gives a coach 25 years to reach a FF and names the court after him when he fails to do so. PU hasn't been to a FF since 1980: once again, wake me up when it happens. At PU, it is ok to not reach the FF or a win a championship. At UK or IU, Painter would have been fired years ago.

He’s not mediocre. Just held back by lack of resources and tradition at Purdue.
How do you explain the Mean Green, Peacocks, and other mid-major losses? PU had every advantage against them. PU has blown it way more times against mid-majors than FF's since 1980. Mike Davis and Tom Crean have been to FF's.

You lost me when you started comparing PU to John Wooden and other programs that have accomplished something. You seem to be lost on the fact that "achieving a goal" and "NOT achieving a goal" are two separate things.

PU is the only program that gives a coach 25 years to reach a FF and names the court after him when he fails to do so. PU hasn't been to a FF since 1980: once again, wake me up when it happens. At PU, it is ok to not reach the FF or a win a championship. At UK or IU, Painter would have been fired years ago.

The gift that keeps on giving. This by far is the dumbest argument presented on this site on going. Painter is two victories shy of 400 wins. Has he been to a final four? no net yet but hey let's label and grade him while still coaching and not retired right! Purdue is totally different program as far as growth than when Keady coached. Facilities , recruiting ability etc.
Jimbo vision on how to build a winning program. FIRE the guy who doesn't cut it. Hey Dufus how's that worked out the last two decades? IU in a better shape today then they were 3 years ago, 5 years ago, 18 years ago? What 6 coaches since Painter providing stabilization and continuity for the program. Sleepy Mike will make it 7 coaches during his tenure at Purdue. But Jimbo it's pride and how you say, high expectations right? How's that blueprint worked out for IU the last two decades. Your ignorance is disappointing now. Adapt or perish. Guess what clownboxer, next year brings in a probably a 5 star wing who will be amazing to watch and in 2024 a Scottie Pippen clone talent. Painter is adapting and learning each year unlike the wax figures that have led(phrase used lightly) IU the last decade.

Your the worse of the bunch here Huckleberry. I swear I feel like a croc on the Mara during migration season when you post.

Enjoy the game tonight.

Go find where I said Smith would be unsuccessful as a PG. I said he had no chance at Big Ten Freshman of the year, and he doesn’t.

I didn’t think Loyer would be allowed to take whatever shot he wanted. Guy has never seen a shot he doesn’t like regardless if he’s hitting or not.
I went and looked at your past posts. Here is one of yours posted on this site on November 16th:

"He’s got a negative assist to turnover ratio. He came into last nights game shooting 30% from the field and 28% from 3 to go along with his negative assist to turnover ratio. He got hot last night. No different than we saw from Eric Hunter, IT, or the countless other non factor PGs Purdue has had over the years."

I think that when posting that a player is a non-factor that generally means that he is not successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT